|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many articles did Susan Glaspell write as a reporter that covered the John Hossack murder case?
2. Who played the role of George Henderson in the original production of Trifles?
(a) Madison Dirks
(b) James Warner
(c) Andrew Vestile
(d) Michael Hulgan
3. In what year was John Hossack murdered?
4. Who portrayed Lewis Hale in the original production of Trifles?
(a) Gino Chelakis
(b) Andrew Stabler
(c) George Cram Cook
(d) Alexander Hampton
5. Where was the theatrical collaboration that Susan Glaspell and George Cram Cook formed originated?
(a) Bay Ridge, New Jersey
(b) New York, New York
(c) Cape Cod, Massachusetts
(d) Rutland, Connecticut
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Introduction, who played the role of Henry Peters in the original production of Trifles?
2. What sentence was the murder suspect given for the murder of John Hossack?
3. According to the Introduction, what weapon was used to kill John Hossack?
4. When was Trifles first performed?
5. Where did the trial for John Hossack’s murder take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Susan Glaspell involved in the murder trial that she later based Trifles on? What were her feelings about the trial?
2. How does Henry Peters begin the investigation after arriving at the Wright home? What does Mr. Henderson interrupt to ask?
3. What does Mr. Hale respond when questioned about how Mrs. Wright appears when he arrives the previous day?
4. How is the kitchen staging set up? Where are the entrances and exits?
5. When was Susan Glaspell inspired to write Trifles? Who encouraged her to write it and why?
6. What does Mrs. Wright reply when Mr. Hale tells her that he wants to see Mr. Wright?
7. How does Mrs. Hale recall Mrs. Wright? What can the reader/audience discern of Mrs. Wright’s character by Mrs. Hale’s recollections?
8. Why does Mr. Hale stop at the Wrights' property the previous day?
9. What genre does the play Trifles fall into? Why?
10. What theatrical group did Susan Glaspell help found? Where was it originated?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)