|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who played the role of George Henderson in the original production of Trifles?
(a) Andrew Vestile
(b) Michael Hulgan
(c) Madison Dirks
(d) James Warner
2. What important theatrical collaboration did Susan Glaspell and George Cram Cook found?
(a) The Public Theater
(b) The Greenwich Players
(c) The Provincetown Players
(d) The Cincinnati Players
3. When was Trifles first performed?
(a) July 15, 1901
(b) August 8, 1916
(c) March 12, 1885
(d) September 25, 1919
4. In what year was John Hossack murdered?
5. What character did Susan Glaspell portray in the original production of Trifles?
(a) Mrs. Samuel
(b) Mrs. Wright
(c) Mrs. Peters
(d) Mrs. Hale
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the trial for John Hossack’s murder take place?
2. When did Susan Glaspell marry George Cram Cook?
3. According to the Introduction, where was Trifles first performed?
4. Who was accused of the murder of John Hossack?
5. For how many months did Susan Glaspell cover the John Hossack murder case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indicates the time period of the narrative?
2. How does the theme of guilt apply to Mrs. Hale?
3. Who does Mr. Hale call inside after Mrs. Wright tells him Mr. Wright is dead? What did they find?
4. What themes are central in the play? Which characters are the focus of the play?
5. What information does Mr. Hale reveal about Mr. Wright’s character through his interview with the Sheriff and County Attorney?
6. What genre does the play Trifles fall into? Why?
7. Why does Mr. Hale stop at the Wrights' property the previous day?
8. What does Mrs. Wright tell Mr. Hale about who murdered her husband? Who has she notified of his death?
9. How does Trifles differ from episodic dramas or climactic plays?
10. How is the Wright property described?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)