|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of pattern do the women see in Mrs. Wright’s sewing in the sewing basket?
(a) A log cabin pattern
(b) A dress pattern
(c) A barn pattern
(d) A butterfly pattern
2. At the end of the play, what does Mrs. Hale have her hand over?
(a) The sewing basket
(b) The bread box
(c) Her pocket
(d) Her purse
3. What item does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright had asked for, calling it a funny thing to want in jail?
(a) A petticoat
(b) A winter coat
(c) An apron
(d) A bonnet
4. At what time does Mr. Hale knock on the Wrights’ door when he discovers the murder?
(a) Past 8:00 a.m.
(b) After noon.
(c) Before 3:30 p.m.
(d) Past 10:00 a.m.
5. Near the end of the play, at what sound does Mrs. Hale snatch the box?
(a) The horses approaching
(b) The doorknob turning
(c) The doorbell ringing
(d) A dog barking
6. According to Mr. Hale, how does Mrs. Wright respond when he says, “I want to see John”?
(a) She left the room
(b) She laughed
(c) She looked worried
(d) She cried
7. Where does Mrs. Peters say she and her husband homesteaded before?
(c) New Orleans
8. What word in the stage directions, meaning ashamed or embarrassed, describes the women when the men return from upstairs?
9. Mrs. Peters exclaims to Mrs. Hale, “My, it’s a good thing the men couldn’t hear us. Wouldn’t they just laugh! Getting all stirred up over a little things like a” what?
(a) Broken jar
(c) Dead canary
(d) Dead kitten
10. According to the stage directions in the opening of the play, what is Lewis Hale’s profession?
(b) County Judge
(d) County Attorney
11. Mrs. Peters tells Mrs. Hale, “Mr. Henderson said coming out that what was needed for the case was” what?
(a) A motive
(b) An alibi
(d) A weapon
12. What key character in the play never appears onstage?
(a) Mrs. Peters
(b) Mrs. Hale
(c) George Henderson
(d) Mrs. Wright
13. What character in the play is based on the real-life figure of Margaret Hossack?
(b) Mrs. Peters
(c) Mrs. Hale
(d) Mrs. Wright
14. Why does Mrs. Hale say she hasn’t visited the Wright home much?
(a) It never seemed a very cheerful place
(b) It was too violent
(c) I hated Mrs. Wright
(d) Mr. Wright gave me the willies
15. Who does Mr. Hale say he is going to town with when he stops by the Wrights’ home?
(d) Dr. Lloyd
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims “Somebody should have been left here yesterday”?
2. Which of the following is a recurring motif in Trifles?
3. Where do the women go to gather some things to take to Mrs. Wright in jail?
4. What character says, “the law is the law”?
5. What does George Henderson ask the women as the men return from examining outside?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)