|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the narrative, Mrs. Hale says, “Not having children makes less work—but it makes” what?
(a) A lonely place
(b) For peace and serenity
(c) A quiet house
(d) For solitude
2. What is the name of the Sheriff’s Deputy?
3. What does Mr. Hale say he thinks he hears someone say when he knocks a second time on the Wrights’ door?
(a) Come back later
(b) Who is it?
(c) Go away
(d) Come in
4. When talking with Mrs. Peters, what does Mrs. Hale say her sister’s name is?
5. What is Mrs. Wright doing with her apron when Mr. Hale enters?
(a) Drying it
(b) Ironing it
(c) Pleating it
(d) Washing it
6. What does George Henderson ask the women as the men return from examining outside?
(a) Well, ladies, have you gotten Mrs. Wright’s things ready?
(b) Well ladies, have you decided whether she was going to quilt it or knot it?
(c) Well, ladies, have you made the fire warmer yet?
(d) Hello ladies, how has the investigation been going for you?
7. What does Mrs. Peters use to wrap around a jar to take to Mrs. Wright?
(a) A bath towel
(b) A dish cloth
(c) A shawl
(d) A petticoat
8. What word describing the men in Trifles means to behave in an offensively condescending manner?
9. As the men reenter from upstairs, George Henderson remarks, “But you know juries when it comes to” what?
10. Mrs. Hale tells Mrs. Peters, “She used to ____. He killed that too.”
11. What is the name of the short story that Susan Glaspell adapted Trifles into?
(a) The Canary
(b) The Trial of a Century
(c) The Last Trial
(d) A Jury of Her Peers
12. Near the end of the play, at what sound does Mrs. Hale snatch the box?
(a) The horses approaching
(b) The doorbell ringing
(c) A dog barking
(d) The doorknob turning
13. According to the stage directions in the opening of the play, what is George Henderson’s profession?
(a) County Judge
(d) County Attorney
14. What is located on the table in the opening scene of Trifles?
(a) A dish-towel
(b) A birdcage
(c) Fresh fruit
(d) A cake
15. Mrs. Hale remarks to Mrs. Peters, “Well, I don’t see any signs of” what “around here”?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in the house does Mrs. Peters find a birdcage?
2. At the end of the play, where does Mrs. Hale stash the box?
3. In what region of the United States is Trifles set?
4. Before they depart, Henry Peters remarks to Mr. Henderson, “I just want you to come in here a minute, George. We ought to take a look at” what?
5. What character is described as “a slight wiry woman” with “a thin nervous face”?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)