|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first name of McFarland, the 25-year-old man who created the Fyre Festival?
2. What was the first name of the woman who accused members of the fraternity Phi Kappa Psi of rape?
3. How does Tolentino define her cultural identity?
4. Tolentino states that if one were to view womanhood entirely through the lens of literature, adulthood would look like what?
5. What kind of festival was the Fyre Festival discussed by Tolentino?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does Tolentino bring in the work of Simone de Beauvoir in the essay entitled "Pure Heroines"?
2. What is the symbolism of the Amazon building Tolentino discusses in the essay entitled "Pure Heroines"?
3. What connection does Tolentino draw between her religious upbringing and her interest in ecstasy?
4. Explain how Tolentino contrasts her journalism skills in 2011 with her journalism skills in 2020.
5. What is the main claim being made within the essay entitled "Pure Heroines" and how do you know?
6. Which of the seven scams discussed in the essay "The Story of a Generation of Seven Scams" does Tolentino consider the most egregious example and why?
7. Discuss Tolentino's reason for discussing at length Sylvia Plath's novel The Bell Jar in the essay entitled "Pure Heroines."
8. Why does Tolentino use the term "Repentagon" (130) in association with her childhood church?
9. Describe an instance in "We Come from Old Virginia" when Tolentino depicts her younger self as a product of a patriarchal society.
10. What was the "'Dear Colleague' letter" (200) that Tolentino discusses in the essay "We Come from Old Virginia"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Tolentino's message regarding the difference between awareness and activism and how does Tolentino get this message across to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What is Tolentino's message about the relationship between privilege and delusion within the collection of essays entitled Trick Mirror?
Essay Topic 3
What messages are being sent about racial tensions in America in the collection Trick Mirror and what actions does Tolentino hope to provoke within the text’s audience?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)