|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Esther Greenwood in the novel in which she is the featured protagonist?
2. In Tolentino's discussions of Facebook, she asserts that Mark Zuckerberg "controls a" (169) what?
3. Tolentino worries that Zuckerberg has the power to take what action in relation to elections?
4. At the start of the essay entitled "Ecstasy," Tolentino recalls that the church of her childhood had trees of what variety on its property?
5. In what year was the Dear Colleague letter created, as discussed in the essay "We Come from Old Virginia"?
Short Essay Questions
1. On which generation does the essay "The Story of a Generation of Seven Scams" focus?
2. Describe an instance in "We Come from Old Virginia" when Tolentino depicts her younger self as a product of a patriarchal society.
3. Analyze Tolentino's reason for using an allusion to Ulysses in the essay entitled "Pure Heroines."
4. For what reason does Tolentino characterize student debt in America as a "generation-defining scam" (167)?
5. What connection does Tolentino draw between her religious upbringing and her interest in ecstasy?
6. Which of the seven scams discussed in the essay "The Story of a Generation of Seven Scams" does Tolentino consider the most egregious example and why?
7. Who is Billy McFarland?
8. What distinction does Tolentino make between the depiction of trauma in children's literature and the depiction of trauma in adult literature?
9. For what reason did Tolentino end up attending the University of Virginia, though she had "applied mostly to schools in New England and California" (196)?
10. In what way did an incident with her friend Allison change the way Tolentino viewed herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Tolentino’s use of characterization methods to portray herself within the narrative. What effects do these characterization methods have on the themes and messages inherent in Trick Mirror?
Essay Topic 2
What message is Tolentino sending regarding the source of human flaws and unhappiness?
Essay Topic 3
What is Tolentino's message regarding the difference between awareness and activism and how does Tolentino get this message across to the reader?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)