|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a word Tolentino uses to describe particular elements of the internet that soured after a turning point she names?
2. The Angelfire subpage Tolentino presents for the reader's inspection was created when Tolentino was how old?
3. Tolentino says that which two decades of the internet's existence were marked by gatherings of people in open forums?
4. To which television show does Tolentino allude toward the end of the essay entitled "Always Be Optimizing"?
5. What food item does Tolentino use as a metaphor for the workaholic lifestyle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many essays are contained within Trick Mirror and around what theme do they all revolve?
2. What is the symbolism of the exclamation points Tolentino uses within the essay entitled "The I in Internet"?
3. In what way is Tolentino uniquely positioned to assess the trajectory of the internet, as she does in the essay "The I in Internet"?
4. What is the significance of Jess's comments about Cory's homosexuality in the essay "Reality TV Me"?
5. To what work is the title of "Always Be Optimizing" referring and what is the significance of the allusion within the essay?
6. What is the main setting featured within the essay entitled "Reality TV Me"?
7. What element does Tolentino characterize as "capitalism's last natural resource" (11) in the essay entitled "The I in Internet"?
8. Who is Jess, the person featured in the essay entitled "Reality TV Me"?
9. Discuss an instance in the introduction when Tolentino uses a metaphor to illustrate a particular point.
10. What does Tolentino mean when she states that "the ideal woman is always optimizing" (63)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What message does Tolentino send within the pages of Trick Mirror concerning the link between privilege and delusion?
Essay Topic 2
What is Tolentino's overall message about the American identity within the collection Trick Mirror and what types of evidence does she use to prove the claim?
Essay Topic 3
Tolentino begins the text with a quote from a Sylvia Plath poem. Explain how this poem excerpt relates to the text and how it reflects the text’s themes.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)