|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Angelfire subpage Tolentino presents for the reader's inspection was created when Tolentino was how old?
2. How old was Tolentino when she joined the Peace Corps?
3. How many weeks did Tolentino and the rest of the cast spend on the island?
4. At which politician was the fiasco called Pizzagate aimed prior to the 2016 United States presidential election?
5. How many problematic characteristics of the internet does Tolentino identify in the essay "The I in Internet" (13)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolentino's ultimate conclusion about the future of the internet and why?
2. In what way is Tolentino uniquely positioned to assess the trajectory of the internet, as she does in the essay "The I in Internet"?
3. What does Tolentino mean when she states that "the ideal woman is always optimizing" (63)?
4. What criteria does Tolentino use in order to characterize 2012 as a major turning point in relation to the internet?
5. What does the bioluminescent bay symbolize in the essay entitled "Reality TV Me"?
6. To what work is the title of "Always Be Optimizing" referring and what is the significance of the allusion within the essay?
7. What is the symbolism of the exclamation points Tolentino uses within the essay entitled "The I in Internet"?
8. What symbolism does Tolentino highlight within an Instagram profile in the essay "Always Be Optimizing"?
9. How does Tolentino contrast her real feelings about taking part in Girls vs. Boys: Puerto Rico with the impression she gave her family?
10. How does Tolentino characterize her adolescent self and for what purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What message does Tolentino send within the pages of Trick Mirror concerning the link between privilege and delusion?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining how the text portrays the American Dream. Is there one American Dream or are there many different ones, according to Tolentino? What is the text saying about the American dream in the twenty-first century?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tolentino’s messages concerning the nature of personal satisfaction. Does the text indicate that it is dangerous or crucial? Choose one adjective and prove its validity using concrete details from the text.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)