|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In spring break of which year did Tolentino's family get a new computer for the family home?
2. In which publication did a writer first use the chopped salad as a metaphor for the frenetic pace of life?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) The Awl.
(d) The Chicago Tribune.
3. What is the name of the bioluminescent bay discussed in the essay "Reality TV Me"?
4. On what channel did Boys Vs. Girls appear, according to Tolentino?
(a) Nat Geo.
5. Which disease did Tolentino contract during her stint in the Peace Corps?
6. Tolentino asserts that the first problematic quality of the internet is that it is built with the intention of taking what action in relation to our identities?
7. Which social media giant is described as "reproducing the lessons of the marketplace" (63)?
8. What food item does Tolentino use as a metaphor for the workaholic lifestyle?
(c) Chopped salads.
9. Tolentino says that which two decades of the internet's existence were marked by gatherings of people in open forums?
(a) The 70s and 80s.
(b) The 80s and 90s.
(c) The 90s and 00s.
(d) The 00s and 10s.
10. At ten, Tolentino admonished her younger self for looking at which kinds of sites during her first sessions online?
(c) Beanie Babies.
11. In which year was Tolentino a cast member on the show Boys Vs. Girls?
12. Which insect does Tolentino use to characterize early users of the internet?
13. In which sport did Tolentino participate during her childhood?
14. In which level of school was Tolentino when she was featured on a reality television series?
(a) High school.
(b) Middle school.
(c) Elementary school.
15. What is NOT one of the three "nightmarish metaphorical structures" (16) Tolentino says the internet added to the existing structures of stage and audience?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a word Tolentino uses to describe particular elements of the internet that soured after a turning point she names?
2. In what year was the chopped salad first written about as a metaphor for the frenetic pace of life, according to Tolentino?
3. Which word does Tolentino NOT use to describe particular elements of the internet before a major turning point changed their effects?
4. Tolentino states that she began writing Trick Mirror in which season of 2017?
5. How does Tolentino describe the new organizing principle that came to envelop most online interactions in a particular year?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)