|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tolentino claims that the second problematic quality of the internet is that it encourages people to overestimate the value of what?
(a) Their individual experiences.
(b) Their opinions.
(c) Their friends and family.
(d) Their empathy.
2. In what year was the chopped salad first written about as a metaphor for the frenetic pace of life, according to Tolentino?
3. The first line of the essay "Always Be Optimizing" states that "the ideal woman has always been" (62) what?
4. How many dollars did Tolentino's father offer to give her if she tried out for the reality show?
5. How many camera from the reality television show filmed the events at the bioluminescent bay?
6. How many essays in total are collected within the book Trick Mirror?
7. What celestial body does Tolentino use in a metaphorical description of America within the introduction?
(b) Black hole.
8. How does Tolentino describe the new organizing principle that came to envelop most online interactions in a particular year?
9. What year does Tolentino name as a turning point for the internet's transition to a new organizing principle?
10. How many miles wide was the island on which the reality show was filmed?
11. How many weeks did Tolentino and the rest of the cast spend on the island?
12. The first line of the essay "The I in Internet" states, "In the beginning the internet seemed" (7) what?
13. Which disease did Tolentino contract during her stint in the Peace Corps?
14. Tolentino says that which two decades of the internet's existence were marked by gatherings of people in open forums?
(a) The 80s and 90s.
(b) The 70s and 80s.
(c) The 90s and 00s.
(d) The 00s and 10s.
15. Tolentino describes the topics of the collection's essays by using which object as a metaphor?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A prism.
(c) A rainbow.
(d) A microscope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Around which group of people are movements such as #MeToo and #TimesUp organized?
2. At ten, Tolentino admonished her younger self for looking at which kinds of sites during her first sessions online?
3. To which element of life does the term "panopticon" (16) refer, as explained by Tolentino in "The I in Internet"?
4. In what grade was Tolentino when she used the internet for the first time?
5. At which politician was the fiasco called Pizzagate aimed prior to the 2016 United States presidential election?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)