Introduction and "The I in Internet"
• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Tolentino, Jia. Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion. Random House, 2019. E-book.
• The introduction begins on page 1.
• Tolentino begins by stating that she wrote Trick Mirror during the time between spring of 2017 and fall of 2018.
• She describes this period of time as “a period during which American identity, culture, technology, politics, and discourse seemed to coalesce into an unbearable supernova of perpetually escalating conflict” (1).
• Tolentino states that when she thinks back on that period of time, she recalls that she had been unable to trust her own thoughts.
• She reflects on the fact that she dislikes feeling uncertain about her beliefs and that she “usually extinguish[es] [the feeling] by writing” (1).
• Tolentino explores the reasons why she wrote the essays that make up the text of Trick Mirror.
• She wonders whether...
This section contains 5,114 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)