|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Diocletian want to do to Christianity?
2. What job did Augustine have?
3. According to Luther, who mediated forgiveness between Christ and man?
4. What were the worst trials Patrick faced?
5. From whom did Alfred defend the country for seven years?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Patrick first arrive in Ireland?
2. What was the position of Pope Gregory I, how was he regarded, and what did he do?
3. Who were the Lollards?
4. What marked the beginning of the decline of Western Civilization and how did Gregory combat it?
5. What happened to Thomas Cranmer when he was tortured?
6. How did the 19-year-old Duchess Elizabeth help others? What happened to her?
7. When was Athanasius made Bishop of Alexandria? What was his attitude like?
8. Why did people want to join Bernard of Clairvaux's monastery? How did they help others?
9. What was Martin Luther considered, and what did he do?
10. What were the French Protestants in France known as, and how were they treated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Francis of Assisi and Elizabeth of Hungary helped the poor. Describe how each of these individuals reached out and helped others. Write about what happened to them and how people around them responded to them.
Essay Topic 2
Why was it so difficult to share the news of God with other cultures? What were some of the troubles the missionaries faced?
Essay Topic 3
Several Christian greats helped the church grow and also focused on literacy. Who were these men, why did they feel literacy was important, what did they do to help people become more literate, and what effect did it have on the church?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)