|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Gabriela's talents?
2. How does Mitrione finally die?
3. What is the occupation of Peter Wentworth?
4. What evidence does Magda come across that supports what she overheard from her employer?
5. In Chapter 20, what does Emilia demand from Magda and her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that the characters only truly mature and progress into their fight for what they believe is right when they are marked by tragedy. Is this the author's intent? Be sure to discuss:
1) Magda's sexual assault.
2) The deaths of Jaime and Gabriela.
3) Emilia's wrongful imprisonment.
4) Cora's near-miss with the Holocaust in Europe.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the intense difference in classes in Montevideo. Which characters are the upper class? Which characters are the lower class? Why are there so few wealthy people and so many poor people in Montevideo? Cite specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
A recurring symbol in this novel is stars. Write an essay explaining the author's use of stars and how it relates to the overall story. Be sure to develop a strong thesis statement and cite specific examples from the the text to support the thesis. Be sure to consider the poinsettia tree, the estrella federal, and even the star on the communist flag. Explore how this relates to the government and to the characters.
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)