|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Magda give up when she decides she cannot be with Jaime?
2. How do both sides feel about the link between them?
3. In Chapter17, what does Magda overhear from her employer that disturbs her?
4. What is awaiting Marco when he returns to Montevideo?
5. What is one of Gabriela's talents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel gives a strong sense of the Uruguayan culture as it was during the revolution of the '60s. Discuss what you have learned about the culture from this novel, citing specific examples. Be sure to include the following:
2) Fiesta de quince.
5) Class differences.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the intense difference in classes in Montevideo. Which characters are the upper class? Which characters are the lower class? Why are there so few wealthy people and so many poor people in Montevideo? Cite specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following topics to write about, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
1) The secondary subplot of Cora and how it fills in the gaps of Magda's story.
2) Gabriela's use of mysticism and how it connects her more fully to the people around her.
3) Josefa's story of the moon and mate and how it relates to the main story.
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)