|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Tupas taking a hostage?
2. What movie do Marco and Magda plan to see together?
3. What happens to Dan Mitrione at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. What is the link between the government and the Tupas?
5. Why is Magda never physically harmed in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magda's imprisonment takes place over several months. Although she is never physically harmed, she nearly loses her mind from the isolation and the constant sounds of people being tortured. Detail Magda's time in prison and how it affects her. How does she survive? Is what she goes through any worse or better than the other prisoners? Why or why not? Is Magda particularly strong to have survived or lucky? Cite specific examples from the text to support the arguments.
Essay Topic 2
While in America, Magda is surprised to discover that her American sister, Janet, is very trusting and passive of her government. Write an essay on the following parts:
Part 1) Compare and contrast Magda's experiences with the Uruguayan government and her thoughts on the American government with Janet's beliefs.
Part 2) Analyze how each girl feels about the other's beliefs.
Part 3) Discuss what happens that changes Janet's mind about trusting the government completely.
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following topics to write about, using examples from the text to support your arguments.
1) The secondary subplot of Cora and how it fills in the gaps of Magda's story.
2) Gabriela's use of mysticism and how it connects her more fully to the people around her.
3) Josefa's story of the moon and mate and how it relates to the main story.
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)