|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Magda and Emilia spy on Cora?
(a) They bribe the postman to tell them about her.
(b) They set up a mirror to reflect into Magda's room what Cora's house looks like.
(c) They watch her from the poinsettia tree.
(d) They watch her from Cora's own window.
2. What does Magda admire about her best friend?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her wealth.
(c) Her sensitivity and intelligence.
(d) Her sense of adventure.
3. At what age does a Latina come out?
4. Whose characters did Magda's neighbor name her sons after?
5. What does Magda notice at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) The clouds are darkening.
(b) The laborers are singing.
(c) The first fully-bloomed poinsettia.
(d) The fields are rotting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the woman come to see Senora Francisca?
2. What is Emilia's response to Magda's idea in Chapter 5?
3. Why do Sofia's actions disgrace Magda's parents?
4. What does "tias" mean?
5. Where do Magda and Emilia go to feel safe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the aunts criticize the American woman in their neighborhood?
2. Describe the story Josefa tells Magda.
3. Why is Emilia so furious at her mother and Magda?
4. What is Emilia's reaction to hearing her mother speak of the revolution, and why?
5. What does Magda realize about Dan Mitrione?:
6. What do Magda and Emilia's mothers do for Gabriela?
7. Why does Emilia no longer want to be around Cora?
8. What happens to Magda after she escapes the riot?
9. What is Senora Francisca's reaction to the news that her husband has a mistress?
10. Why does Wentworth have Emilia arrested?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)