|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is shocking about the woman who comes to the barrio?
(a) She is foreign.
(b) She is extremely old.
(c) She is very ugly.
(d) She is very beautiful.
2. What do Emilia and Magda naively collect from the river?
(a) Used undergarments.
(d) Used condoms.
3. What does Magda's boyfriend hope to get from dating her?
(a) A recommendation for the military.
(b) A reprieve from his work.
(c) A wife.
(d) Social prestige.
4. What does Lilita do that upsets Emilia?
(a) Lilita frequently leaves the house at night.
(b) Lilita tries to keep Emilia from Magda.
(c) Lilita quits her job.
(d) Lilita has an affair.
5. How does Cora signal the girls in Chapter 7?
(a) With a handkerchief.
(b) With a red sock on her windowsill.
(c) With a knock on the door.
(d) With a candle in the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Magda admire about her best friend?
2. Where does this novel take place?
3. Who is the main character of the story Josefa tells Magda?
4. What is surprising about Senora Francisca's house?
5. What does Emilia promise her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Raquel's conflict in Chapter 14?
2. What realization does Magda have about her future while recovering from Jaime's death?
3. Why is Emilia so furious at her mother and Magda?
4. What is the history between Mamasita and Magda's grandfather?
5. How are the twins supposed to date boys?
6. According to the letters from Jaime and Marco, what is happening in Uruguay?
7. What are Lilita's feelings on the revolution in regard to her daughter?
8. How does Jaime realize that he will never marry Magda?
9. Why is Marco unhappy that Magda wants to see Che speak?
10. What is significant about Marco and Magda's correspondence?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)