|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Magda and Emilia particularly afraid to do?
(a) Go to Cora's house.
(b) Leave Magda's bedroom.
(c) Go to their fishing shack.
(d) Visit Gabriela.
2. What will Cora do to indicate to Magda and Emilia that it's OK for them to come over?
(a) She will signal from her window.
(b) She will send her maid over to Magda.
(c) She will throw small rocks at Magda's window.
(d) She will light a candle in the window.
3. What does Magda do after Emilia's admonishment in Chapter 5?
(a) She tells Lilita to go home.
(b) She slap Emilia.
(c) She starts sobbing and begs for forgiveness.
(d) She runs home in the rain.
4. What does Emilia promise her mother?
(a) She will marry well.
(b) She will leave the country.
(c) She will not leave the country.
(d) She will not join the revolution.
5. Why is Cora able to invite Magda and Emilia over to her house?
(a) Her maid is too drunk to realize that Cora is not allowed to have friends.
(b) Her mother has relaxed the rules.
(c) Her father allows her to have friends over.
(d) Her mother is gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the women in Magda's family, who is visiting Uruguay?
2. How are the women in Magda's family described?
3. What does Magda hope will be therapeutic for her trauma?
4. What is Cora's religion?
5. Why does Mrs. Allenberg not allow Cora to see anyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Magda's assignment with the Tupas after the work she did on the British ambassador?
2. How does Senora Francisca plan to support herself and her daughters? Why does she take this action?
3. Who is Che Guevara?
4. Why is Gabriela murdered?
5. What realization does Magda make that has her joining the Tupamaros?
6. What is Raquel's conflict in Chapter 14?
7. Why do the aunts criticize the American woman in their neighborhood?
8. What is significant about Senora Francisca having a bare house?
9. According to the letters from Jaime and Marco, what is happening in Uruguay?
10. Ultimately, what are the fates of Magda and Marco at the end of this novel?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)