|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Emilia's response to Magda's idea in Chapter 5?
(a) She tells Magda they are too grown up for pranks.
(b) She hates singing.
(c) It is too dangerous to visit Gabriela.
(d) She does not feel like dancing.
2. What does Magda do after Emilia's admonishment in Chapter 5?
(a) She runs home in the rain.
(b) She slap Emilia.
(c) She starts sobbing and begs for forgiveness.
(d) She tells Lilita to go home.
3. How do Magda and Emilia spy on Cora?
(a) They watch her from Cora's own window.
(b) They bribe the postman to tell them about her.
(c) They watch her from the poinsettia tree.
(d) They set up a mirror to reflect into Magda's room what Cora's house looks like.
4. How does Magda feel about her American family?
(a) She finds them to be rather ignorant.
(b) She finds them to very loving.
(c) She finds them too be rather snobbish.
(d) She finds them to be overly religious.
5. Why does Mrs. Allenberg not allow Cora to see anyone?
(a) She is afraid that Cora is too good for everyone else.
(b) She is afraid people will be cruel to Cora because she is Jewish.
(c) She is afraid that Cora will become too attached to the people in the barrio.
(d) She is afraid of the Uruguayans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Magda and Janet not agree upon?
2. What career path is Marco's father pushing for his son?
3. What does Lilita see in Magda and Marco's relationship?
4. What does Cora reveal to Magda and Emilia in Chapter 4?
5. When flowers meant for Cora arrives at Magda's house, what opportunity arises?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is piropos?
2. What are Lilita's feelings on the revolution in regard to her daughter?
3. How do Magda and Janet differ in opinions?
4. What does Mamasita ask Magda about Jaime, and what conclusions can be drawn from Magda's answer?
5. What is the conflict between Marco and his parents?
6. Why is Cora able to go to the zoo with Magda and Emilia?
7. What sacrifice does Marco make in freeing Magda?
8. Why does Magda collect the sweat and blood of the people who are tortured in the cell next to hers?
9. According to the letters from Jaime and Marco, what is happening in Uruguay?
10. Ultimately, what are the fates of Magda and Marco at the end of this novel?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)