|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the taxi driver advise Magda to do?
(a) Forget what she saw.
(b) Marry her true love.
(c) Marry Jaime anyway.
(d) Get drunk.
2. What makes Magda hesitant in Chapter 13?
(a) Jaime's marriage proposal.
(b) Marco's marriage proposal.
(c) Visiting Gabriela.
3. What occurs between Magda and Jaime at the dance?
(a) They make up and remain friends.
(b) They reaffirm their love for each other.
(c) They kiss.
(d) They get engaged.
4. What can Magda hear in the cell next to her?
(a) A baby crying.
(b) People being tortured.
(c) The plans to interrogate her.
(d) A woman who always weeps.
5. Who helps Magda deal with her guilt over Mitrione?
(a) Senora Francisca.
6. How does Magda retain her sanity during her months of captivity?
(a) She begs to see Marco.
(b) She forces herself to play games with her mind.
(c) She recites her lines for the play she was supposed to be in.
(d) She prays.
7. What happens to Dan Mitrione at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) He discovers Magda's connections with the Tupas.
(b) He dies of a heart attack.
(c) He is tortured.
(d) He is kidnapped.
8. What is awaiting Marco when he returns to Montevideo?
(a) His father's anger.
(b) Torture and arrest.
(d) A promotion.
9. What is the occupation of Peter Wentworth?
10. Why does Jaime refuse to shake the officer's hand?
(a) Jaime knows this man assaulted Magda after Che's speech.
(b) Jaime does not respect any authority.
(c) Jaime watched the man beat another soldier up.
(d) Jaime holds the man responsible for the death of his friend.
11. For what occasion is Magda brought from her cell?
(a) Cora and Ramiro's wedding.
(b) The birth of Cora's child.
(c) Ramiro's funeral.
(d) Marco's funeral.
12. Who drives Magda and Lilita home in Chapter 19?
(d) The taxi driver from the day of the duel.
13. What does Magda do to start realizing her new dream?
(a) She enrolls at Oxford.
(b) She enrolls in the University of Montevideo.
(c) She goes away to America.
(d) She says goodbye to Marco.
14. How does Mitrione finally die?
(a) He is executed with two shots to the head.
(b) He starves to death.
(c) He is drowned.
(d) He is hanged.
15. Where did Cora meet her boyfriend?
(a) Marching with the sugar cane workers.
(b) At the synagogue.
(c) A political rally.
(d) At school.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Emilia goes to the audition, what happens to her?
2. Why is Magda fearful of seeing Marco?
3. What challenge is thrown when Jaime insults the officer?
4. Who dies as a result of the challenge?
5. What does Magda admit to Marco in Chapter 19?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)