|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jaime do in one of his letters to Magda?
(a) Break up with her.
(b) Tell her Marco is not in love with her.
(c) Tell her about his deal with her mother.
(d) Propose marriage.
2. What is the purpose of the Tupas taking a hostage?
(a) They will kill the hostage for the safety of many.
(b) They will force the government release some of the Tupas.
(c) They will try to convert the hostage to their side.
(d) They will send the hostage to a country from which there is no return.
3. When Emilia goes to the audition, what happens to her?
(a) She falls in love with Wentworth.
(b) She is kidnapped.
(c) She is assaulted.
(d) Wentworth tries to kiss her.
4. What is Cora's fate at the end of the book?
(a) She has left the country.
(b) She is still in prison.
(c) She drowned herself.
(d) She has disappeared.
5. What is the plan for the Tupas' next target?
(a) They are going to storm the embassy.
(b) They are going assassinate Marco.
(c) They are going to kidnap Peter Wentworth.
(d) They are going to kidnap the British ambassador.
6. What makes Magda hesitant in Chapter 13?
(a) Jaime's marriage proposal.
(b) Visiting Gabriela.
(c) Marco's marriage proposal.
7. For what occasion is Magda brought from her cell?
(a) Cora and Ramiro's wedding.
(b) Ramiro's funeral.
(c) The birth of Cora's child.
(d) Marco's funeral.
8. Who drives Magda and Lilita home in Chapter 19?
(b) The taxi driver from the day of the duel.
9. In Chapter17, what does Magda overhear from her employer that disturbs her?
(a) His desire for Magda.
(b) The philosophy of torture.
(c) His hatred of America.
(d) His desire to wipe out everyone in Uruguay.
10. In Chapter 16, what does Magda decide to do with her life?
(a) She wants to start a family right away.
(b) She wants to become a doctor in America.
(c) She wants to run Caupolican.
(d) She wants to live abroad.
11. Where did Cora meet her boyfriend?
(a) At school.
(b) At the synagogue.
(c) Marching with the sugar cane workers.
(d) A political rally.
12. Who is captured at the beginning of Chapter 21?
(c) Senora Francisca.
13. Who is discovered to have been killed by Mitrione?
14. Where does Mamasita take Magda to help her recover from the tragedy?
(b) The Cerro.
15. In Chapter 20, what does Emilia demand from Magda and her mother?
(a) Why the Tupas did not help her.
(b) Why they let her grow attached to Peter Wentworth.
(c) The truth as to why she was arrested.
(d) Why they turned her in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Uruguay during Magda's absence?
2. Who are the three women presented in Chapter 14 who have to wrestle with the issue of love versus security?
3. What does Jaime want from Magda's mother?
4. Who is the only person Magda allows to know of her love for Marco?
5. What happens when Emilia goes to Wentworth's home with Magda and Lilita?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)