|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives across the street from Cora?
(a) Josefa's family.
(b) Senor Ruben and his family.
(c) Lilita's family.
(d) Magda's family.
2. What will Cora do to indicate to Magda and Emilia that it's OK for them to come over?
(a) She will light a candle in the window.
(b) She will signal from her window.
(c) She will throw small rocks at Magda's window.
(d) She will send her maid over to Magda.
3. Why are the women fearful for the American woman?
(a) Some of the men are tired of being harrassed.
(b) Some of the men are getting aggressive.
(c) Some of the men are ignoring the other women.
(d) Some of the men are leaving.
4. How does Magda escape from the streets during the riot?
(a) Her family name keeps her safe.
(b) A police officer rescues her.
(c) Someone calls her inside.
(d) Marco helps her.
5. Who is speaking at the university?
(a) The president of Uruguay.
(b) Che Guevara.
(c) The British ambassador.
(d) Fidel Castro.
6. Why did the woman come to see Senora Francisca?
(a) She wants the senora's forgiveness.
(b) She hopes the senora will help her care for the baby.
(c) She hopes the senora will help her find a job.
(d) She hopes the senora will kill her husband out of anger.
7. What does Marco's mother accuse her son of wanting?
(a) Changing Uruguay into a communist state.
(b) Wanting America to take over the country.
(c) Wanting Uruguay to become democratic.
(d) Wanting Uruguay to become a state of another country.
8. What does Magda do when she hears Josefa's stories?
(a) She has nightmares.
(b) She ignores her.
(c) She writes them down.
(d) She falls asleep.
9. What do the women of Magda's family feel they do not appreciate anymore?
(a) Being forced to stay at home.
(b) Being treated as equals.
(c) Being catcalled by the men.
(d) Being ignored by the men.
10. How does Cora signal the girls in Chapter 7?
(a) With a red sock on her windowsill.
(b) With a handkerchief.
(c) With a candle in the window.
(d) With a knock on the door.
11. What did the families of Magda's grandparents attempt?
(a) They tried to force her grandparents into marriage.
(b) They tried to keep Magda's grandparents apart.
(c) They tried to enlist her grandfather in the army.
(d) They tried to send Mamacita out of the country.
12. What are Magda and Emilia particularly afraid to do?
(a) Visit Gabriela.
(b) Go to Cora's house.
(c) Go to their fishing shack.
(d) Leave Magda's bedroom.
13. At what age does a Latina come out?
14. What is Josefa's relationship to Magda?
(a) She is the girl's maid.
(b) She is the girl's nurse.
(c) She is the girl's aunt.
(d) She is the girl's neighbor.
15. What happens during the speech?
(a) Che is arrested.
(b) Emilia is hurt.
(c) Someone is shot.
(d) Marco is mugged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Magda on the streets when she is looking for help during the riot?
2. Why is the woman angry at Senor Ruben?
3. What does the mysterious woman reveal to Senora Francisca?
4. How are the women supposed to view being yelled at by the men?
5. What does Cora reveal to Magda and Emilia in Chapter 4?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)