|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lilita do that upsets Emilia?
(a) Lilita has an affair.
(b) Lilita tries to keep Emilia from Magda.
(c) Lilita quits her job.
(d) Lilita frequently leaves the house at night.
2. What is shocking about the woman who comes to the barrio?
(a) She is foreign.
(b) She is extremely old.
(c) She is very ugly.
(d) She is very beautiful.
3. What confuses Emilia about Americans?
(a) How free they are with their love.
(b) How seriously they take their religion.
(c) How angry they are at their government.
(d) How serious they are about their work.
4. What is the reaction of the Perez brothers as the woman walks by?
(a) They catcall her.
(b) They try to mug her.
(c) They tell her to go home.
(d) They are in awe of her.
5. What sort of tree is in front of Cora's house?
(a) A tipa tree.
(b) A cactus.
(c) A dogwood.
(d) A poinsettia tree.
6. Why did the woman come to see Senora Francisca?
(a) She hopes the senora will help her care for the baby.
(b) She wants the senora's forgiveness.
(c) She hopes the senora will help her find a job.
(d) She hopes the senora will kill her husband out of anger.
7. What is the name of the zoo animal that Magda and her classmates watch being born?
8. What neighbor does Magda love to visit?
(c) Senora Francisca.
(d) Senora Marta.
9. What sight awes the Uruguayan students?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York City.
(c) The ocean.
10. When she discovers Magda and Emilia in her wagon, what does Gabriela fear?
(a) She is afraid because she does not have any food to feed them.
(b) She is afraid that the soldiers will think she kidnapped the girls.
(c) She is afraid that the girls are there to mock her.
(d) She is afraid that the girls are not safe.
11. With whom does Marco march on the Cerro?
(a) The sugar cane workers.
(b) The teachers.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The fishermen.
12. What do the women of Magda's family feel they do not appreciate anymore?
(a) Being treated as equals.
(b) Being ignored by the men.
(c) Being forced to stay at home.
(d) Being catcalled by the men.
13. Who stays at the Cerro?
(a) The middle class and the laborers.
(b) The wealthy.
(c) The government workers.
(d) The poor and the soldiers.
14. Who is the main character of the story Josefa tells Magda?
(b) The sun.
(c) The king.
(d) The moon.
15. What are the names of Magda's twin cousins?
(a) Coco and Estrellita.
(b) Sofia and Carmen.
(c) Rosa and Maria.
(d) Diana and Felicia.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Margo and Raquel kept from wearing makeup?
2. According to rumor, who might be involved with a dead Nazi?
3. Who stops Magda when she goes for help during the riot?
4. Why does Gabriela make daily rounds through the village?
5. Why is Cora able to invite Magda and Emilia over to her house?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)