|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "tias" mean?
2. How do Magda and Emilia spy on Cora?
(a) They set up a mirror to reflect into Magda's room what Cora's house looks like.
(b) They bribe the postman to tell them about her.
(c) They watch her from Cora's own window.
(d) They watch her from the poinsettia tree.
3. How does Senora Francisca keep her husband from spending any more money?
(a) She gives all his money to his mistress.
(b) She puts a freeze on his bank account.
(c) She burns all of his money.
(d) She buys all new furniture and sends him the bill.
4. Whom do Magda and Emilia stop to help during the riot?
5. What special treat does Magda lie about having for breakfast?
6. What is always in view of the girls?
(a) A giant cross.
(b) The government prison.
(c) A portrait of Che Guevara.
(d) The estrella federal.
7. What do Emilia and Magda naively collect from the river?
(a) Used undergarments.
(b) Used condoms.
8. What is Emilia's response to Magda's idea in Chapter 5?
(a) It is too dangerous to visit Gabriela.
(b) She tells Magda they are too grown up for pranks.
(c) She hates singing.
(d) She does not feel like dancing.
9. What does Magda's boyfriend hope to get from dating her?
(a) A reprieve from his work.
(b) A wife.
(c) A recommendation for the military.
(d) Social prestige.
10. What do Magda and Emilia hear being spoke about at Senora Francisca's home?
(a) The anti-terrorist group.
(b) The war in Europe.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) The revolution.
11. What literary work is referenced in the description of Cora's house?
(a) "Peter Pan."
(b) "Alice in Wonderland."
(c) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
(d) "Oedipus Rex."
12. How does Magda see Janet and other American students?
(a) Very bright and intuitive.
(b) Curious about their government and not unlike Uruguayan students.
(c) Self-absorbed and passive.
13. Why does Mrs. Allenberg not allow Cora to see anyone?
(a) She is afraid of the Uruguayans.
(b) She is afraid that Cora will become too attached to the people in the barrio.
(c) She is afraid that Cora is too good for everyone else.
(d) She is afraid people will be cruel to Cora because she is Jewish.
14. On which boy does Magda develop a crush?
15. Why is Magda worried about Emilia?
(a) Emilia looks exhausted.
(b) Emilia seems to dislike Cora.
(c) Emilia is very angry.
(d) Emilia wants to leave Uruguay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Magda do after Emilia's admonishment in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 7, whom does Emilia claim that she no longer likes?
3. What do Marco and Magda argue over in Chapter 9?
4. What does Cora reveal to Magda and Emilia in Chapter 4?
5. Why do Sofia's actions disgrace Magda's parents?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)