|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Magda and Mamasita agree upon?
(a) Senora Rita and Magda's tias are very rude and ignorant.
(b) Mamasita is old and foolish.
(c) Their family is wonderfully gifted.
(d) Magda's father is a brilliant man.
2. What happens after Magda hears Senora Francisca yelling?
(a) The senora slaps the lady.
(b) The senora throws her husband's belongings at the lady.
(c) The senora throws her husband's belongings out the window.
(d) The senora shoots the lady.
3. What does Magda do after Emilia's admonishment in Chapter 5?
(a) She runs home in the rain.
(b) She tells Lilita to go home.
(c) She slap Emilia.
(d) She starts sobbing and begs for forgiveness.
4. What do Marco and Magda argue over in Chapter 9?
(b) Marco's military training.
(c) Magda's feelings for Marco.
5. What question does Mamasita ask Magda?
(a) She asks Magda what she would give up to marry Jaime.
(b) She asks Magda if she would run the ranch.
(c) She asks Magda if she would ever be happy in Uruguay.
(d) She asks Magda if she would ever join the Tupamaros.
6. Who invites Magda, Cora and Emilia over to watch a movie?
7. Where does this novel take place?
(a) Santiago, Chile.
(b) Montevideo, Uruguay.
(c) Buenos Aires, Argentina.
(d) Mexico City, Mexico.
8. Why does Senora Francisca get a job?
(a) She wants to make more money than her husband.
(b) She wants to help the shop out.
(c) She wants her daughter to marry the shop owner's handsome son.
(d) She does not wish to sacrifice her lifestyle.
9. Why does Mrs. Allenberg not allow Cora to see anyone?
(a) She is afraid that Cora will become too attached to the people in the barrio.
(b) She is afraid people will be cruel to Cora because she is Jewish.
(c) She is afraid of the Uruguayans.
(d) She is afraid that Cora is too good for everyone else.
10. What does Senor Ruben wear to work everyday?
(a) A police officer's uniform.
(b) A trench coat.
(c) A military uniform.
(d) A suit.
11. How are the women in Magda's family described?
12. What is Cora's religion?
13. What happened to Emilia once?
(a) She was arrested.
(b) She was held hostage.
(c) She was assaulted on the streets.
(d) She was questioned about her mother.
14. What did the families of Magda's grandparents attempt?
(a) They tried to send Mamacita out of the country.
(b) They tried to enlist her grandfather in the army.
(c) They tried to keep Magda's grandparents apart.
(d) They tried to force her grandparents into marriage.
15. Who stops Magda when she goes for help during the riot?
(a) A police officer.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) A soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Magda unsure of her trip to the United States?
2. What historical event happens two months prior to the Uruguayan students' arrival?
3. What sort of tree is in front of Cora's house?
4. Who is Magda's best friend?
5. Why is the woman angry at Senor Ruben?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)