|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives across the street from Cora?
(a) Josefa's family.
(b) Lilita's family.
(c) Senor Ruben and his family.
(d) Magda's family.
2. What happens to Magda on the streets when she is looking for help during the riot?
(a) She is sexually assaulted.
(b) She is kidnapped.
(c) She is arrested.
(d) She is mugged.
3. How is the woman who comes to the barrio dressed?
(a) In rags.
(b) In foreign clothing.
(c) She is wearing next to nothing.
(d) In elegant, expensive clothing.
4. What does Magda's boyfriend hope to get from dating her?
(a) A recommendation for the military.
(b) A wife.
(c) A reprieve from his work.
(d) Social prestige.
5. Where does this novel take place?
(a) Buenos Aires, Argentina.
(b) Montevideo, Uruguay.
(c) Santiago, Chile.
(d) Mexico City, Mexico.
6. What makes Cora mysterious to Magda and Emilia?
(a) She is always chaperoned by her parents.
(b) She is very sickly.
(c) She is very sad.
(d) She does not appear to have anyone to care for her.
7. Who stays at the Cerro?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) The poor and the soldiers.
(c) The government workers.
(d) The middle class and the laborers.
8. What literary work is referenced in the description of Cora's house?
(a) "Oedipus Rex."
(b) "Peter Pan."
(c) "Alice in Wonderland."
(d) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
9. What does Magda admire about her best friend?
(a) Her sense of adventure.
(b) Her wealth.
(c) Her sensitivity and intelligence.
(d) Her beauty.
10. From what point of view is this story told?
(c) Multiple-person point of view.
(d) Omnipresent narrator.
11. How are the women in Magda's family described?
12. What question does Mamasita ask Magda?
(a) She asks Magda if she would ever be happy in Uruguay.
(b) She asks Magda if she would run the ranch.
(c) She asks Magda what she would give up to marry Jaime.
(d) She asks Magda if she would ever join the Tupamaros.
13. Why do Magda and Emilia hide in Gabriela's wagon?
(a) They want to run away from their homes.
(b) They want to know where she lives.
(c) They want to take back what their mothers had given Gabriela.
(d) They want to play a prank on their parents.
14. What "makes brothers and sisters of all who drink it?"
15. What is still haunting Magda?
(a) The person being shot at the speech.
(b) Cora's wounds.
(c) The police officer's sexual assault.
(d) The riot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do Magda and Emilia stop to help during the riot?
2. What do Magda and Mamasita agree upon?
3. What happened to Emilia once?
4. What is Emilia's father's reaction to his wife's act?
5. Why are the women fearful for the American woman?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)