|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lilita do that upsets Emilia?
(a) Lilita frequently leaves the house at night.
(b) Lilita has an affair.
(c) Lilita quits her job.
(d) Lilita tries to keep Emilia from Magda.
2. What happens to Magda on the streets when she is looking for help during the riot?
(a) She is kidnapped.
(b) She is sexually assaulted.
(c) She is mugged.
(d) She is arrested.
3. What happens during the speech?
(a) Che is arrested.
(b) Marco is mugged.
(c) Emilia is hurt.
(d) Someone is shot.
4. Who is Magda's best friend?
5. What neighbor does Magda love to visit?
(a) Senora Francisca.
(b) Senora Marta.
6. Why is Cora able to invite Magda and Emilia over to her house?
(a) Her father allows her to have friends over.
(b) Her mother has relaxed the rules.
(c) Her mother is gone.
(d) Her maid is too drunk to realize that Cora is not allowed to have friends.
7. What makes Cora mysterious to Magda and Emilia?
(a) She is very sad.
(b) She is always chaperoned by her parents.
(c) She does not appear to have anyone to care for her.
(d) She is very sickly.
8. What does Magda's mother give Gabriela?
(a) A sculpture of the poinsettia tree Magda had made with Emilia.
(b) Clay plates Magda had made in kindergarten.
(c) Magda's clothing.
(d) A painting Magda had done of the sunset.
9. What sight awes the Uruguayan students?
(a) The ocean.
(c) New York City.
(d) Los Angeles.
10. Who invites Magda, Cora and Emilia over to watch a movie?
11. What career path is Marco's father pushing for his son?
12. Where do Magda and Emilia go to feel safe?
(a) Gabriela's house.
(b) The poinsettia tree.
(c) Their fishing spot.
(d) Magda's bedroom.
13. How does Magda see Janet and other American students?
(b) Self-absorbed and passive.
(c) Very bright and intuitive.
(d) Curious about their government and not unlike Uruguayan students.
14. How are the women in Magda's family described?
15. Who lives across the street from Cora?
(a) Lilita's family.
(b) Josefa's family.
(c) Senor Ruben and his family.
(d) Magda's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special treat does Magda lie about having for breakfast?
2. What is Emilia's response to Magda's idea in Chapter 5?
3. Who is the main character of the story Josefa tells Magda?
4. What do the women of Magda's family feel they do not appreciate anymore?
5. What are the names of Magda's twin cousins?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)