|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gabriela make daily rounds through the village?
(a) She is delivering mended garments.
(b) She is a nurse.
(c) She delivers food.
(d) She is begging for food or clothing.
2. What does Magda hope will be therapeutic for her trauma?
3. What confuses Emilia about Americans?
(a) How free they are with their love.
(b) How angry they are at their government.
(c) How serious they are about their work.
(d) How seriously they take their religion.
4. Why does Emilia agree to go to the speech?
(a) She wants to keep an eye on Magda.
(b) She wants to spend time with Marco.
(c) She has a crush on Che.
(d) She wants to see if her mother is being honest about her part in Che's visit.
5. What is Cora's religion?
6. What does Magda suggest that she and Emilia do to lighten the mood in Chapter 5?
(b) Visit Gabriela.
(c) Play pranks.
7. When she discovers Magda and Emilia in her wagon, what does Gabriela fear?
(a) She is afraid because she does not have any food to feed them.
(b) She is afraid that the girls are not safe.
(c) She is afraid that the girls are there to mock her.
(d) She is afraid that the soldiers will think she kidnapped the girls.
8. Why did the woman come to see Senora Francisca?
(a) She hopes the senora will kill her husband out of anger.
(b) She hopes the senora will help her care for the baby.
(c) She hopes the senora will help her find a job.
(d) She wants the senora's forgiveness.
9. What is Emilia's father's reaction to his wife's act?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is saddened.
(c) He is remorseful.
(d) He is embarrassed.
10. How does Sofia stop Javier from hitting her with a belt?
(a) She calls her boyfriend in for help.
(b) She starts crying.
(c) She apologizes.
(d) She insults him.
11. What happens to Magda on the streets when she is looking for help during the riot?
(a) She is sexually assaulted.
(b) She is kidnapped.
(c) She is mugged.
(d) She is arrested.
12. What is Marco convinced will happen at the speech?
(a) The speaker will be arrested.
(b) He will be shot.
(c) He will be murdered.
(d) A riot.
13. Where do Magda and Emilia go to feel safe?
(a) Their fishing spot.
(b) Gabriela's house.
(c) The poinsettia tree.
(d) Magda's bedroom.
14. What do the women of Magda's family feel they do not appreciate anymore?
(a) Being forced to stay at home.
(b) Being ignored by the men.
(c) Being treated as equals.
(d) Being catcalled by the men.
15. Whose characters did Magda's neighbor name her sons after?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character of the story Josefa tells Magda?
2. How does Lilita make a living?
3. What question does Mamasita ask Magda?
4. How is the woman who comes to the barrio dressed?
5. What present does Magda bring Gabriela?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)