|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Marco and Magda argue over in Chapter 9?
(c) Magda's feelings for Marco.
(d) Marco's military training.
2. What does Senora Rita do with Magda's boyfriend?
(a) She has him arrested.
(b) She tricks him into sleeping with another girl.
(c) She bribes him to stop seeing her daughter.
(d) She slaps him.
3. What present does Magda bring Gabriela?
(a) A bouquet of paper flowers.
(b) A sculpture of the river.
(c) Clay plates.
(d) A painting.
4. What does Lilita attempt to do?
(a) Go after the officer who assaulted Magda.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Ground her daughter.
(d) Send her daughter out of the country.
5. What does Magda's boyfriend hope to get from dating her?
(a) A recommendation for the military.
(b) A wife.
(c) Social prestige.
(d) A reprieve from his work.
6. What did the families of Magda's grandparents attempt?
(a) They tried to keep Magda's grandparents apart.
(b) They tried to force her grandparents into marriage.
(c) They tried to enlist her grandfather in the army.
(d) They tried to send Mamacita out of the country.
7. What does the mysterious woman reveal to Senora Francisca?
(a) She is Senor Ruben's first wife.
(b) Her husband spends most of his money on his mistress.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) Senor Ruben is very ill.
8. What does Magda suggest that she and Emilia do to lighten the mood in Chapter 5?
(a) Visit Gabriela.
(d) Play pranks.
9. What is Emilia's response to Magda's idea in Chapter 5?
(a) It is too dangerous to visit Gabriela.
(b) She hates singing.
(c) She tells Magda they are too grown up for pranks.
(d) She does not feel like dancing.
10. What confuses Emilia about Americans?
(a) How seriously they take their religion.
(b) How serious they are about their work.
(c) How free they are with their love.
(d) How angry they are at their government.
11. What does Gabriela follow to get home?
(a) The Rio Grande do Sul.
(b) The Rio Blanco.
(c) The Panama River.
(d) The Rio de la Plata.
12. What is still haunting Magda?
(a) The riot.
(b) Cora's wounds.
(c) The person being shot at the speech.
(d) The police officer's sexual assault.
13. Who is speaking at the university?
(a) The president of Uruguay.
(b) Fidel Castro.
(c) Che Guevara.
(d) The British ambassador.
14. What special treat does Magda lie about having for breakfast?
15. What is surprising about Senora Francisca's house?
(a) It is very gaudy.
(b) She lives alone.
(c) There is no furniture.
(d) It is very small.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character of the story Josefa tells Magda?
2. What is Emilia's father's reaction to his wife's act?
3. What happens to Magda on the streets when she is looking for help during the riot?
4. What did Magda's aunt see one of the twins doing?
5. Whom does Magda see sneaking over to Senora Francisca's house?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)