|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose characters did Magda's neighbor name her sons after?
2. What career path is Marco's father pushing for his son?
3. What animal is Magda particularly excited about seeing?
(a) The elephant.
(b) The chimp.
(c) The tiger.
(d) The giraffe.
4. When she discovers Magda and Emilia in her wagon, what does Gabriela fear?
(a) She is afraid because she does not have any food to feed them.
(b) She is afraid that the girls are there to mock her.
(c) She is afraid that the soldiers will think she kidnapped the girls.
(d) She is afraid that the girls are not safe.
5. How does Lilita make a living?
(a) She is a maid.
(b) She is an actress.
(c) She is a beggar.
(d) She is a teacher.
6. What will Cora do to indicate to Magda and Emilia that it's OK for them to come over?
(a) She will light a candle in the window.
(b) She will signal from her window.
(c) She will throw small rocks at Magda's window.
(d) She will send her maid over to Magda.
7. What does Cora reveal to Magda and Emilia in Chapter 4?
(a) She is very sick.
(b) She is moving away soon.
(c) She wants to be their friend.
(d) She is afraid of Uruguay.
8. How is the woman who comes to the barrio dressed?
(a) In foreign clothing.
(b) In elegant, expensive clothing.
(c) In rags.
(d) She is wearing next to nothing.
9. Who is speaking at the university?
(a) Fidel Castro.
(b) The British ambassador.
(c) Che Guevara.
(d) The president of Uruguay.
10. Why did the woman come to see Senora Francisca?
(a) She hopes the senora will help her care for the baby.
(b) She wants the senora's forgiveness.
(c) She hopes the senora will help her find a job.
(d) She hopes the senora will kill her husband out of anger.
11. What do the women of Magda's family feel they do not appreciate anymore?
(a) Being ignored by the men.
(b) Being catcalled by the men.
(c) Being treated as equals.
(d) Being forced to stay at home.
12. What special treat does Magda lie about having for breakfast?
13. From what point of view is this story told?
(a) Multiple-person point of view.
(d) Omnipresent narrator.
14. What is Josefa's relationship to Magda?
(a) She is the girl's maid.
(b) She is the girl's neighbor.
(c) She is the girl's nurse.
(d) She is the girl's aunt.
15. What are Senora Francisca and Lilita waiting for?
(a) To leave the country.
(b) To be allowed to join the revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the women fearful for the American woman?
2. What confuses Emilia about Americans?
3. Who stops Magda when she goes for help during the riot?
4. What does Magda notice at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What makes Cora mysterious to Magda and Emilia?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)