|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Magda see Janet and other American students?
(a) Curious about their government and not unlike Uruguayan students.
(b) Self-absorbed and passive.
(d) Very bright and intuitive.
2. How does Mamasita view Magda?
(a) Magda is very naive.
(b) Magda is her favorite grandchild.
(c) Magda is not very bright.
(d) Magda is very spoiled.
3. What do Marco and Magda argue over in Chapter 9?
(b) Marco's military training.
(c) Magda's feelings for Marco.
4. How does Magda escape from the streets during the riot?
(a) Marco helps her.
(b) Someone calls her inside.
(c) Her family name keeps her safe.
(d) A police officer rescues her.
5. What literary work is referenced in the description of Cora's house?
(a) "Alice in Wonderland."
(b) "Oedipus Rex."
(c) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
(d) "Peter Pan."
6. Who is the main character of the story Josefa tells Magda?
(a) The sun.
(c) The king.
(d) The moon.
7. According to the women in Magda's family, who is visiting Uruguay?
(a) Eva Peron.
(b) Che Guevara.
(c) Fidel Castro.
(d) Juan Peron.
8. How does Senora Francisca keep her husband from spending any more money?
(a) She gives all his money to his mistress.
(b) She puts a freeze on his bank account.
(c) She burns all of his money.
(d) She buys all new furniture and sends him the bill.
9. What is Lilita's goal for her daughter?
(a) Emilia is to marry well.
(b) Emilia is to become a doctor.
(c) Emilia is to become a teacher.
(d) Emilia is to become an actress.
10. What does Magda do when she hears Josefa's stories?
(a) She ignores her.
(b) She writes them down.
(c) She falls asleep.
(d) She has nightmares.
11. Why is the woman angry at Senor Ruben?
(a) He lied to her about the beauty of his wife.
(b) He got her pregnant.
(c) He left her for a young mistress.
(d) He lied to her about not being married.
12. What do Magda and Mamasita agree upon?
(a) Mamasita is old and foolish.
(b) Their family is wonderfully gifted.
(c) Magda's father is a brilliant man.
(d) Senora Rita and Magda's tias are very rude and ignorant.
13. What does Lilita attempt to do?
(a) Ground her daughter.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Go after the officer who assaulted Magda.
(d) Send her daughter out of the country.
14. Why is Senora Francisca not friendly with the other women?
(a) The other women find her to be haughty.
(b) She is very reclusive.
(c) She is not very wealthy.
(d) She is very ill.
15. What does Magda's boyfriend hope to get from dating her?
(a) A reprieve from his work.
(b) A wife.
(c) A recommendation for the military.
(d) Social prestige.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the woman who comes to the barrio dressed?
2. On which boy does Magda develop a crush?
3. What do Magda and Emilia hear being spoke about at Senora Francisca's home?
4. According to rumor, who might be involved with a dead Nazi?
5. Why do Sofia's actions disgrace Magda's parents?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)