|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the woman who comes to the barrio dressed?
(a) In elegant, expensive clothing.
(b) In rags.
(c) She is wearing next to nothing.
(d) In foreign clothing.
2. What does the mysterious woman reveal to Senora Francisca?
(a) She is Senor Ruben's first wife.
(b) Her husband spends most of his money on his mistress.
(c) Senor Ruben is very ill.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. What does "tias" mean?
4. Who is the main character of the story Josefa tells Magda?
(a) The sun.
(c) The moon.
(d) The king.
5. How does Mamasita view Magda?
(a) Magda is very naive.
(b) Magda is very spoiled.
(c) Magda is her favorite grandchild.
(d) Magda is not very bright.
6. How are Margo and Raquel kept from wearing makeup?
(a) Their mother tells them that makeup is unattractive.
(b) They are allergic to makeup.
(c) They are beaten with a belt.
(d) They just do not like makeup.
7. What sight awes the Uruguayan students?
(a) New York City.
(b) The ocean.
(c) Los Angeles.
8. How are the women in Magda's family described?
9. Whom do Magda and Emilia stop to help during the riot?
10. Why is Magda worried about Emilia?
(a) Emilia looks exhausted.
(b) Emilia is very angry.
(c) Emilia seems to dislike Cora.
(d) Emilia wants to leave Uruguay.
11. Where does this novel take place?
(a) Mexico City, Mexico.
(b) Buenos Aires, Argentina.
(c) Montevideo, Uruguay.
(d) Santiago, Chile.
12. With whom does Marco march on the Cerro?
(a) The soldiers.
(b) The teachers.
(c) The sugar cane workers.
(d) The fishermen.
13. In Chapter 7, whom does Emilia claim that she no longer likes?
14. What does Magda's boyfriend hope to get from dating her?
(a) A reprieve from his work.
(b) A wife.
(c) A recommendation for the military.
(d) Social prestige.
15. What is shocking about the woman who comes to the barrio?
(a) She is very ugly.
(b) She is very beautiful.
(c) She is extremely old.
(d) She is foreign.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emilia's response to Magda's idea in Chapter 5?
2. Whom does the woman in Chapter 6 go to visit?
3. What historical event happens two months prior to the Uruguayan students' arrival?
4. Where do Magda and Emilia go to feel safe?
5. Who stays at the Cerro?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)