|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim throw overboard in Chapter XXV?
2. Who created the item Livesey discovers in Chapter XVI?
3. What does Jim realize about the sound he hears at the end of Chapter XXIV?
4. Who goes ashore with Hunter in Chapter XVI?
5. Why does Jim have trouble sailing at the beginning of Chapter XXIII?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Jim make about the crew of the Hispaniola when he sees it drifting in Chapter XXIV?
2. What does Jim go looking for in Chapter XXII?
3. 1Who does Jim find on the deck of the Hispaniola in Chapter XXV?
4. Why does Jim take the coracle to the Hispaniola in Chapter XXIII?
5. What does Jim discover when he reaches the stockade at the end of Chapter XXVII?
6. Why is it useless for Jim to paddle to shore at the beginning of Chapter XXIV?
7. Who wants to throw the dead pirate overboard in Chapter XXVI?
8. What do the pirates’ voices on the Hispaniola in Chapter XIX suggest to Jim?
9. What does Silver say Jim reminds him of in Chapter XXVIII?
10. Where do Jim and Israel sail the ship at the beginning of Chapter XXVI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define implication. Define inference. Compare and contrast the two terms using specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Define setting. What is the main setting of Treasure Island? What role does the setting play in the story? Would the story have been effective in a different setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Give a brief character biography of Silver. What is his role in the story? How does he grow and change as the story progresses, if at all? How does his story end in Treasure Island? Is this fitting for his character? Why or why not?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)