|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim watch sink into the water in Chapter XXVII?
2. What is a hawser?
3. What does Jim hear at the end of Chapter XXIV?
4. What does Jim dream about at the end of Chapter XXIII?
5. What plan does Jim hatch in Chapter XXIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silver allow Livesey and Jim to speak privately in Chapter XXX?
2. What is the outcome of the fight between the honest sailors and the pirates in Chapter XXI?
3. What warning does Livesey give Silver at the end of Chapter XXX?
4. 1Who does Jim find on the deck of the Hispaniola in Chapter XXV?
5. Why do Livesey and Hunter go ashore in Chapter XVI?
6. What is the black spot Silver receives in Chapter XXIX, and what is it made from?
7. Why is Ben sure the honest sailors are in the stockade in Chapter XIX?
8. Where do Jim and Israel sail the ship at the beginning of Chapter XXVI?
9. How does Silver announce himself to Smollett in Chapter XX?
10. Who wants to throw the dead pirate overboard in Chapter XXVI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define Freytag’s Pyramid. Identify the elements of Freytag’s Pyramid and define each. Provide at least one example of each element of Freytag’s Pyramid from the story of Treasure Island.
Essay Topic 2
Define setting. What is the main setting of Treasure Island? What role does the setting play in the story? Would the story have been effective in a different setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the types of characters that exist in literature. Provide at least one example of each type of character from Treasure Island, including at least one reason why that character fits that character type.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)