|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim listen to as he waits for the wind to change in Chapter XXIII?
2. Who does Jim remind Silver of, according to Chapter XVIII?
3. Who joins the honest sailors at the end of Chapter XVI?
4. How many pirates are still alive at the beginning of Chapter XVIII?
5. How does Jim react to Livesey’s accusation in Chapter XXX?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Livesey and Hunter go ashore in Chapter XVI?
2. Why do the sailors say Tom has nothing to fear in the afterlife?
3. What happens when Jim relaxes his guard in Chapter XXVI?
4. Why do the pirates not notice that Jim cuts the anchor rope on the Hispaniola in Chapter XXIII?
5. What is the outcome of the fight between the honest sailors and the pirates in Chapter XXI?
6. What does Jim ask Israel Hands to do in Chapter XXV?
7. Why does Jim take the coracle to the Hispaniola in Chapter XXIII?
8. What does Jim discover when he reaches the stockade at the end of Chapter XXVII?
9. What does Silver tell Jim about Dr. Livesey in Chapter XXVIII?
10. Why does Livesey go walking in the woods in Chapter XXII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define genre. What is the genre of Treasure Island? Identify the major characteristics of the story that place it in this particular genre.
Essay Topic 2
Define archetype. How are archetypes used in literature? How are they identified? Identify at least one archetype used in Treasure Island. Discuss its importance to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Define conflict. Identify each type of conflict used in literature. Provide at least one example of each type of conflict found in the story of Treasure Island.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)