|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim decide to search for in Chapter XXII?
2. Who does Jim see on deck of the Hispaniola at the beginning of Chapter XV?
3. What type of boat does Jim find in Chapter XXII?
4. How does Jim react to Livesey’s accusation in Chapter XXX?
5. Why does Jim have trouble sailing at the beginning of Chapter XXIII?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Jim make about the crew of the Hispaniola when he sees it drifting in Chapter XXIV?
2. What is the outcome of the fight between the honest sailors and the pirates in Chapter XXI?
3. What does Jim discover when he reaches the stockade at the end of Chapter XXVII?
4. What warning does Livesey give Silver at the end of Chapter XXX?
5. What is the black spot Silver receives in Chapter XXIX, and what is it made from?
6. What does Silver say Jim reminds him of in Chapter XXVIII?
7. Why is it useless for Jim to paddle to shore at the beginning of Chapter XXIV?
8. 1Who does Jim find on the deck of the Hispaniola in Chapter XXV?
9. Why is Ben sure the honest sailors are in the stockade in Chapter XIX?
10. What do the pirates’ voices on the Hispaniola in Chapter XIX suggest to Jim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define irony. Identify each type of literary irony. Provide at least one example of each type of irony from Treasure Island.
Essay Topic 2
Define narrator and explain the two main types of narrators. Which type of narrator is Jim in Treasure Island? Use examples from the story to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Define characterization. What are the two types of characterization? Provide at least two specific examples of each type of characterization found in Treasure Island.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)