|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator at the beginning of Chapter XVI?
2. What does Livesey discover on the island in Chapter XVI?
3. What time of day does Jim take the boat at the end of Chapter XXII?
4. Who objects to having a corpse on the deck of the ship in Chapter XXVI?
5. Where does Jim steer the Hispaniola in Chapter XXV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Livesey give Silver at the end of Chapter XXX?
2. Who wants to throw the dead pirate overboard in Chapter XXVI?
3. What does Silver throw down at the end of Chapter XXIX?
4. Why is it useless for Jim to paddle to shore at the beginning of Chapter XXIV?
5. What is the outcome of the fight between the honest sailors and the pirates in Chapter XXI?
6. Why is the boat hard to maneuver in Chapter XVII?
7. What conclusion does Jim make about the crew of the Hispaniola when he sees it drifting in Chapter XXIV?
8. 1Who does Jim find on the deck of the Hispaniola in Chapter XXV?
9. What does Jim go looking for in Chapter XXII?
10. Why is Ben sure the honest sailors are in the stockade in Chapter XIX?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the types of characters that exist in literature. Provide at least one example of each type of character from Treasure Island, including at least one reason why that character fits that character type.
Essay Topic 2
Define epilogue. How are epilogues used in literature? Does the epilogue found at the end of Treasure Island contribute to or detract from the overall story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Define foreshadowing. What is the purpose of foreshadowing in literature. Identify at least one example of foreshadowing in Treasure Island. Explain what this item or event foreshadows in the story.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)