|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan does Jim hatch in Chapter XXIV?
2. Where did the item handed to Silver at the beginning of Chapter XXIX come from?
3. Who does Jim watch sink into the water in Chapter XXVII?
4. What is a hawser?
5. Where does Jim realize he has drifted in Chapter XXIII?
Short Essay Questions
1. 1Who does Jim find on the deck of the Hispaniola in Chapter XXV?
2. Why does Silver allow Livesey and Jim to speak privately in Chapter XXX?
3. What does Silver throw down at the end of Chapter XXIX?
4. Why do Livesey and Hunter go ashore in Chapter XVI?
5. What is the outcome of the fight between the honest sailors and the pirates in Chapter XXI?
6. What do the pirates’ voices on the Hispaniola in Chapter XIX suggest to Jim?
7. Why does Jim take the coracle to the Hispaniola in Chapter XXIII?
8. What does Jim discover when he reaches the stockade at the end of Chapter XXVII?
9. Why is Ben sure the honest sailors are in the stockade in Chapter XIX?
10. Why do the sailors say Tom has nothing to fear in the afterlife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define Freytag’s Pyramid. Identify the elements of Freytag’s Pyramid and define each. Provide at least one example of each element of Freytag’s Pyramid from the story of Treasure Island.
Essay Topic 2
Define inference. Define implication. How are each used in literature? Compare and contrast the two terms and give an example of each from Treasure Island.
Essay Topic 3
Define irony. Identify each type of literary irony. Provide at least one example of each type of irony from Treasure Island.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)