|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Jim’s role be on the journey to the island?
2. What does the narrator omit about the island as he begins his story?
3. How many men helped Flint bury his treasure on the island, according to Chapter XV?
4. Who leads the sailors ashore in Chapter XIII?
5. What role does the sailor who helped Trelawney have on the crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim find out a ship and crew has been obtained at the beginning of Chapter VII?
2. What does Livesey warn Billy against at the end of Chapter II? Why?
3. What happens between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
4. What do Billy’s former crewmates want from him?
5. How can Smollett be described?
6. How does the old sailor terrorize the customers at the inn in Chapter I?
7. Explain the difference between Smollett’s map and the map Jim took from Billy’s sea chest.
8. How does Silver refer to pirates in Chapter XI?
9. What does Jim do after the exchange between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
10. What deal do Ben and Jim make in Chapter XV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give a brief character biography of Jim. What is his role in the story? How does he grow and change as the story progresses, if at all? How does his story end in Treasure Island? Is this fitting for his character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Livesey and Silver, particularly as they relate to Jim. What are their relationships with Jim? How do those relationships change by the end of the story? Who do you think Jim relates to better in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Define implication. Define inference. Compare and contrast the two terms using specific examples from the story.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)