|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cap’n Flint?
2. What does Flint’s log track, according to Chapter VI?
3. What causes the men to flee in Chapter V?
4. What is the name of the tall pale man in Chapter II?
5. Who advises Smollett of where to anchor the ship at the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jim and his mother find in Billy’s sea chest in Chapter IV?
2. Why is Billy unable to kill Black Dog in Chapter II?
3. Who does the tall pale man ask about in Chapter II? How does Jim recognize who the man is asking for?
4. What does Dr. Livesey think might happen if the men go ashore in Chapter XIII?
5. What do Livesey and Trelawney reveal about the oilskin-wrapped papers from the sea chest?
6. What deal do Ben and Jim make in Chapter XV?
7. How does Silver refer to pirates in Chapter XI?
8. What does Livesey warn Billy against at the end of Chapter II? Why?
9. What happens to Jim’s mother when they leave the inn during Chapter IV?
10. What does Jim do after the exchange between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define narrator and explain the two main types of narrators. Which type of narrator is Jim in Treasure Island? Use examples from the story to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Give a brief character biography of Jim. What is his role in the story? How does he grow and change as the story progresses, if at all? How does his story end in Treasure Island? Is this fitting for his character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the types of characters that exist in literature. Provide at least one example of each type of character from Treasure Island, including at least one reason why that character fits that character type.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)