|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is pleased about the ship’s new cook, according to the end of Chapter VIII?
2. What role does Smollett have on the ship?
3. What does Jim do when he sees something in the woods at the beginning of Chapter XV?
4. What food was Jim hungry for at the end of Chapter X?
5. Whose scream is heard on the island in Chapter XIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Smollett be described?
2. How does Silver feel about Black Dog and Pew?
3. What does Jim do after the exchange between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
4. Why is Billy unable to kill Black Dog in Chapter II?
5. What does Dr. Livesey think might happen if the men go ashore in Chapter XIII?
6. Who does the tall pale man ask about in Chapter II? How does Jim recognize who the man is asking for?
7. According to Chapter I, how does the story of Treasure Island come to be written?
8. What plan do Livesey and Trelawney make at the end of Chapter VI?
9. What happens to Jim’s mother when they leave the inn during Chapter IV?
10. Why is Mr. Arrow replaced on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define setting. What is the main setting of Treasure Island? What role does the setting play in the story? Would the story have been effective in a different setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Livesey and Silver, particularly as they relate to Jim. What are their relationships with Jim? How do those relationships change by the end of the story? Who do you think Jim relates to better in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the types of characters that exist in literature. Provide at least one example of each type of character from Treasure Island, including at least one reason why that character fits that character type.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)