|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the men to flee in Chapter V?
2. Who does Smollett consult with before allowing the men to go ashore in Chapter XIII?
3. Who agrees to help Billy in Chapter IV when Jim goes to get help?
4. Who is the narrator of Treasure Island?
5. Who does Jim see Silver speaking to on the island in Chapter XIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
2. Why is the crew irritable when they approach the island in Chapter XIII?
3. How does Silver feel about Black Dog and Pew?
4. Why is Jim offended when Billy asks for rum in Chapter III?
5. Why do none of the villagers want to help Jim in Chapter IV?
6. Explain the difference between Smollett’s map and the map Jim took from Billy’s sea chest.
7. What happens to Jim’s mother when they leave the inn during Chapter IV?
8. What does Jim do after the exchange between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
9. What does Dr. Livesey think might happen if the men go ashore in Chapter XIII?
10. According to Chapter I, how does the story of Treasure Island come to be written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define genre. What is the genre of Treasure Island? Identify the major characteristics of the story that place it in this particular genre.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Livesey and Silver, particularly as they relate to Jim. What are their relationships with Jim? How do those relationships change by the end of the story? Who do you think Jim relates to better in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Define point of view and identify the types of point of view. Use at least two examples from Treasure Island to identify the point of view used by Stevenson in the story.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)