|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the tall pale man in Chapter II?
2. What does the old sailor use at the end of Chapter I to threaten someone?
3. How is the old sailor recognizable, according to the tall pale man in Chapter II?
4. Who knows the island well, according to Chapter XII?
5. What is hidden at the bottom of Billy’s sea chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jim offended when Billy asks for rum in Chapter III?
2. What does Dr. Livesey think might happen if the men go ashore in Chapter XIII?
3. How can Smollett be described?
4. What does Livesey warn Billy against at the end of Chapter II? Why?
5. According to Chapter I, how does the story of Treasure Island come to be written?
6. Why is Mr. Arrow replaced on the ship?
7. What plan do Livesey and Trelawney make at the end of Chapter VI?
8. What do Livesey and Trelawney reveal about the oilskin-wrapped papers from the sea chest?
9. Why is the crew irritable when they approach the island in Chapter XIII?
10. Explain the difference between Smollett’s map and the map Jim took from Billy’s sea chest.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define narrator and explain the two main types of narrators. Which type of narrator is Jim in Treasure Island? Use examples from the story to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Define genre. What is the genre of Treasure Island? Identify the major characteristics of the story that place it in this particular genre.
Essay Topic 3
Define point of view and identify the types of point of view. Use at least two examples from Treasure Island to identify the point of view used by Stevenson in the story.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)