|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Smollett consult with before allowing the men to go ashore in Chapter XIII?
2. What does Jim see in the distance at the end of Chapter XV?
3. What is the name of the old sailor, as revealed in Chapter II?
4. What will Jim’s role be on the journey to the island?
5. Who kills Tom in Chapter XIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do none of the villagers want to help Jim in Chapter IV?
2. What do Jim and his mother find in Billy’s sea chest in Chapter IV?
3. How does Silver refer to pirates in Chapter XI?
4. How does the old sailor terrorize the customers at the inn in Chapter I?
5. Why is Billy unable to kill Black Dog in Chapter II?
6. Why is Mr. Arrow replaced on the ship?
7. What does Jim learn about the crew in Chapter XI?
8. What happens when Jim sneaks aboard a boat going ashore in Chapter XIII?
9. What does Jim do after the exchange between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
10. What deal do Ben and Jim make in Chapter XV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define Freytag’s Pyramid. Identify the elements of Freytag’s Pyramid and define each. Provide at least one example of each element of Freytag’s Pyramid from the story of Treasure Island.
Essay Topic 2
Define point of view and identify the types of point of view. Use at least two examples from Treasure Island to identify the point of view used by Stevenson in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the types of characters that exist in literature. Provide at least one example of each type of character from Treasure Island, including at least one reason why that character fits that character type.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)