|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the old sailor recognizable, according to the tall pale man in Chapter II?
2. What is the name of the sailor who helped Trelawney get the crew?
3. What does the blind man give Billy in Chapter III?
4. Who helps Jim seek help for Billy at the beginning of Chapter IV?
5. How much time does Billy say he has at the end of Chapter III?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jim and his mother find in Billy’s sea chest in Chapter IV?
2. How does the old sailor terrorize the customers at the inn in Chapter I?
3. How does Jim find out a ship and crew has been obtained at the beginning of Chapter VII?
4. What does Jim do after the exchange between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
5. How can Smollett be described?
6. What plan do Livesey and Trelawney make at the end of Chapter VI?
7. What happens between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
8. Who does the tall pale man ask about in Chapter II? How does Jim recognize who the man is asking for?
9. What happens to Jim’s mother when they leave the inn during Chapter IV?
10. Explain the difference between Smollett’s map and the map Jim took from Billy’s sea chest.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define foreshadowing. What is the purpose of foreshadowing in literature. Identify at least one example of foreshadowing in Treasure Island. Explain what this item or event foreshadows in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Define setting. What is the main setting of Treasure Island? What role does the setting play in the story? Would the story have been effective in a different setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define conflict. Identify each type of conflict used in literature. Provide at least one example of each type of conflict found in the story of Treasure Island.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)