|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim look for when he searches through Billy’s clothing in Chapter IV?
2. Who disappears mysteriously one night early in the voyage, according to Chapter X?
3. In what month does Chapter II open?
4. Who does Jim see Silver speaking to on the island in Chapter XIV?
5. What did Ben make on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter I, how does the story of Treasure Island come to be written?
2. How does Silver feel about Black Dog and Pew?
3. How does Jim find out a ship and crew has been obtained at the beginning of Chapter VII?
4. What happens between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
5. Who does the tall pale man ask about in Chapter II? How does Jim recognize who the man is asking for?
6. What happens to Jim’s mother when they leave the inn during Chapter IV?
7. What plan do Livesey and Trelawney make at the end of Chapter VI?
8. What do Billy’s former crewmates want from him?
9. Why is the crew irritable when they approach the island in Chapter XIII?
10. Why do none of the villagers want to help Jim in Chapter IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define setting. What is the main setting of Treasure Island? What role does the setting play in the story? Would the story have been effective in a different setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define Freytag’s Pyramid. Identify the elements of Freytag’s Pyramid and define each. Provide at least one example of each element of Freytag’s Pyramid from the story of Treasure Island.
Essay Topic 3
Define implication. Define inference. Compare and contrast the two terms using specific examples from the story.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)