|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads the sailors ashore in Chapter XIII?
2. What causes the men to flee in Chapter V?
(a) The authorities approach
(b) Pew gets killed
(c) Jim returns to the inn
(d) A pistol shot
3. What does the narrator omit about the island as he begins his story?
(a) Its true name
(b) How he found out about the treasure
(c) The exact amount of the treasure buried there
(d) Its exact location
4. Who does Smollett consult with before allowing the men to go ashore in Chapter XIII?
(d) Mr. Arrow
5. What does Jim do when he sees something in the woods at the beginning of Chapter XV?
(a) He boards the second ship
(b) He moves the treasure
(c) He walks toward the man
(d) He flees back to the Hispaniola
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Mr. Arrow have on the ship?
2. Who catches sight of Jim at the end of Chapter XIII?
3. Who sent a letter to Livesey to let him know the ship and crew were obtained, according to Chapter VII?
4. What is hidden at the bottom of Billy’s sea chest?
5. What weapon does Jim have when he returns to the inn in Chapter IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Arrow replaced on the ship?
2. How does Jim find out a ship and crew has been obtained at the beginning of Chapter VII?
3. What do Billy’s former crewmates want from him?
4. What does Livesey warn Billy against at the end of Chapter II? Why?
5. Why do none of the villagers want to help Jim in Chapter IV?
6. How can Smollett be described?
7. Who does the tall pale man ask about in Chapter II? How does Jim recognize who the man is asking for?
8. Why is Jim offended when Billy asks for rum in Chapter III?
9. What does Dr. Livesey think might happen if the men go ashore in Chapter XIII?
10. Why is the crew irritable when they approach the island in Chapter XIII?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)