|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of Treasure Island?
(a) Squire Trelawney
(c) The narrator is not named
(d) Dr. Livesey
2. Why is the crew irritable at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
(a) Because of the heat
(b) They are hungry
(c) They suspect there is no treasure
(d) They think Jim is a spy
3. What does the narrator omit about the island as he begins his story?
(a) Its true name
(b) Its exact location
(c) How he found out about the treasure
(d) The exact amount of the treasure buried there
4. Aside from the log, what is included in the oilskin-wrapped papers?
(a) A letter to Livesey
(b) A treasure map
(c) The ownership papers to a ship
(d) A photograph
5. Who helps Jim seek help for Billy at the beginning of Chapter IV?
(b) The blind man
(d) Jim’s mother
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Mr. Arrow have on the ship?
2. What does the old sailor use at the end of Chapter I to threaten someone?
3. What weapon does Jim have when he returns to the inn in Chapter IV?
4. How is the old sailor recognizable, according to the tall pale man in Chapter II?
5. Who accompanies Jim from his hometown to where Trelawney and Livesey are in Chapter VII?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim learn about the crew in Chapter XI?
2. How does Silver refer to pirates in Chapter XI?
3. How does Silver feel about Black Dog and Pew?
4. What happens between Silver and Tom in Chapter XIV?
5. Explain the difference between Smollett’s map and the map Jim took from Billy’s sea chest.
6. How did Ben come to be on the island, according to Chapter XV?
7. How can Smollett be described?
8. What plan do Livesey and Trelawney make at the end of Chapter VI?
9. What does Dr. Livesey think might happen if the men go ashore in Chapter XIII?
10. Why is Billy unable to kill Black Dog in Chapter II?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)