|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey do that is indiscreet?
2. Why does Aubrey and his crew believe they are being treated rudely by the people of Mubara?
3. Who is Mr. Hairabedian?
4. For what is Aubrey grateful?
5. Of what religion are the majority of Mubara's inhabitants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ponto's behavior set people to gossiping?
2. Describe the situation at the opening of Treason's Harbour.
3. Briefly describe the men's march through the desert.
4. Why is Aubrey disappointed, but what cheers him up?
5. What does Aubrey order his crew to do and where does Aubrey go while they are obeying his order?
6. Why is the Dromedary early and what is the effect of that?
7. Where do Aubrey and Maturin encounter each other and why is Maturin there?
8. How do the men that respond to Captain Aubrey's summons appear?
9. Who is Dr. Graham and about what is he concerned?
10. What is Maturin's latest purchase and for what does he want to use it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patrick O'Brian has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Treason's Harbour qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of the early 1800s is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is demonstrated in a number of ways, as is the lack of loyalty. Aubrey's crew slowly deserts him to sign on with other captains during a period of downtime while Aubrey's ships are in repair. Yet, many crew members remain loyal to Aubrey despite not being paid during the down time. Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? Cause? Country? Idea? What of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, and country or has blind loyalty?
2. Discuss and analyze why you think man of Aubrey's crew remains to be loyal. Is it warranted, wise, or earned? Do you Aubrey is a loyal British subject? What do you think of Maturin? Is Aubrey a loyal friend, husband, or comrade? What do you think about Maturin? Discuss each situation.
3. Why do you think Aubrey is able to elicit loyalty and confidence from the men when they are traveling through treacherous seas and battling other ships?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Treason's Harbour.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Treason's Harbour. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors and by the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Treason's Harbour. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors and by the action?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)