|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Maturin and Graham think is not possible on Malta?
2. Why is Aubrey disappointed about the admiral he visits?
3. For what is Aubrey grateful?
4. How does Aubrey pay for the repairs on his ship?
5. What does Aubrey check on that morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aubrey decide to do about Mrs. Fielding and why?
2. What are Aubrey's orders from the Admiral for him and his crew?
3. How does Ponto's behavior set people to gossiping?
4. How do the men that respond to Captain Aubrey's summons appear?
5. How does one gain rank in the British navy and why is that a problem right now for Aubrey?
6. Describe the situation at the opening of Treason's Harbour.
7. Who do Aubrey and his crew meet in Mubara and what does he tell them?
8. Describe Mr. Hairabedian.
9. How does Aubrey "misbehave" and what is the result?
10. What does Aubrey order his crew to do and where does Aubrey go while they are obeying his order?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During this era when the book takes place, if a vessel under the command of a naval officer captures another vessel from a country with whom they are warring or captures a pirate vessel and the crew of the victorious vessel shares in the goods, money and value of the vessel. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the British had such a policy in place then?
2. What are the possible abuses that can arise from such a policy?
3. Why do you think this policy is eventually abandoned?
4. Which vessel(s) are mentioned in Treason's Harbour that fall under this maritime law and what are the circumstances of their capture? Does it seem fair?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to understanding the war in which O'Brian's novels are set, it is quite helpful to have a basic understanding of nautical terminology and the types of ships and their armaments that were used during the early 1800s. Discuss the following:
1. Define ten of the most commonly-used shipboard terms and discuss how those terms are used in Treason's Harbour.
2. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the ships used in the early 1800s?
3. How is the British navy organized during this period (early 1800s) and how different do you think it is organized today (including how one rises in rank).
4. Compare/contrast one of the naval battles/hostile actions between two vessels described in the novel with one from WWII.
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws and Jack Aubrey is no exception. Aubrey's insight and a nearly infallible instinct tends to carry him through the various perils he encounters.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Aubrey demonstrates his instinct for handling problems at sea. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Aubrey's character flaws, especially his ineptness on land such as the hike through the dessert and wandering eye as far as women are concerned.
3. Discuss how you think Aubrey's admirable traits helped him obtain a high rank in the Navy? How does Aubrey hide his character flaws so they have not impeded his career. Do any of those under his command seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)