|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Major Pollock?
(a) The Admiral's aide de camp.
(b) A spy for France.
(c) A man whose brother is given command of the Blackwater.
(d) An Army major who is retiring from the service.
2. How does the fort that the men find appear?
(a) As if it is held by the French.
(b) As if it has been marauded.
(c) Green and lush.
3. Where does Maturin go and sit in the dark?
(b) On board the Dryad.
(c) Mrs. Fielding's home.
(d) In a deserted warehouse.
4. What does Maturin tell Mr. Fielding?
(a) That his wife has been very concerned for him.
(b) That Maturin will take Fielding's information to the admiral in Malta.
(c) That his wife is dead.
(d) That Sir Blaine will want to see Mr. Fielding immediately.
5. Why does Maturin meet Mr. Fielding?
(a) He does not meet Maturin.
(b) He wants to challenge Maturin to a duel.
(c) He is injured.
(d) He is interested to know about his wife.
6. What happens to the Dryad?
(a) It is attacked.
(c) It is sunk.
(d) It is captured.
7. What is the Egyptian Wind?
(a) A superstitious sailor tale.
(b) A type of sail.
(c) A current out of the confluence of the Nile and Egypt.
(d) An air pattern.
8. What do Aubrey and his men see as they exit the desert?
(a) A large French force waiting for them.
(b) A view of the Suez.
(c) A huge fire near Niro.
(d) A lake of fresh water.
9. What happens to Mr. Hairabedian?
(a) He gets addicted to the opium.
(b) He is killed by sharks.
(c) He is hung for murder.
(d) Aubrey refuses to set him ashore and he kills himself.
10. What is aboard the Surprise specifically for Maturin?
(a) A deep freeze container for his specimens.
(b) A barrel of pickling solution.
(c) A cabin specially equipped for his scientific pursuits.
(d) The new diving bell Aubrey gives him.
11. What is the most disturbing part of not obtaining the treasure?
(a) The real treasure galley got away.
(b) That it implies ineptness in British intelligence or a traitor in intelligence.
(c) The Admiral has no funds now to pay the men.
(d) The French has financing for more ships.
12. Where is Lesueur when Maturin is sitting in the dark?
(a) Sneaking on board the Surprise.
(b) Coming into Mrs. Fielding's home.
(c) Entering the deserted warehouse.
(d) Sailing back to Brest.
13. What ship seems trapped between the Surprise and Dryad?
(a) An American privateer.
(b) A French privateer.
(c) A French merchant vessel.
(d) A French frigate.
14. What does Maturin think about when he learns of the other ship's earlier return?
(a) He is concerned for Mrs. Fielding's safety.
(b) He thinks about whether Mr. Fielding is on board.
(c) He wonders if there is a traitor on the other ship.
(d) He wonders if the other ship will register the prize.
15. What happens when Aubrey's ship traps the galley.
(a) It eludes Aubrey a second time.
(b) Aubrey rams the galley and boards it.
(c) The galley sets itself on fire.
(d) The galley sinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Admiral want Aubrey to go on his next assignment?
2. What does Aubrey know decreases the longer they are at sea?
3. What do the crew finally commence?
4. What ship do they find?
5. What does Maturin think could happen if it becomes known what has happened to Mr. Fielding?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)