|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maturin think about when he learns of the other ship's earlier return?
(a) He wonders if the other ship will register the prize.
(b) He thinks about whether Mr. Fielding is on board.
(c) He is concerned for Mrs. Fielding's safety.
(d) He wonders if there is a traitor on the other ship.
2. Why do the men travel at night?
(a) Because they are traveling night and day or they will die.
(b) So they will not be found again.
(c) To reduce dehydration.
(d) To maintain good morale.
3. Who seems to take to the desert trek?
(a) No one.
4. What is happening to the Surprise?
(a) It is deemed damaged beyond repair and is going to be sunk.
(b) It is being fitted as a frigate.
(c) It is being sold out of service.
(d) It is being returned to service with Pullings as captain.
5. How does Aubrey pass the voyage home?
(a) By writing his official navy report.
(c) Training his men.
(d) Writing his wife.
6. What surrounds the men while they are setting up camp?
(a) Millions of scorpions.
(b) Desert lions.
(c) A large group of men.
7. How does Maturin use the situation with Mrs. Fielding?
(a) To learn more about Lesueur.
(b) To feed false intelligence information to the French.
(c) To stay close to Mrs. Fielding in case her husband is the traitor and Maturin can catch him.
(d) To be less lonely.
8. What has to be rationed?
(b) Citrus to keep from scurvy.
9. About what is the Admiral disappointed?
(a) There being no treasure.
(b) That Aubrey is unable to secure an agreement with the French.
(c) That Maturin loses his diving bell.
(d) That Aubrey lost all their supplies to the desert marauders.
10. Where is Lesueur when Maturin is sitting in the dark?
(a) Entering the deserted warehouse.
(b) Coming into Mrs. Fielding's home.
(c) Sailing back to Brest.
(d) Sneaking on board the Surprise.
11. What does the First Secretary promise Aubrey?
(a) Command of the Leopard.
(b) Command of the Shannon.
(c) Command of the Blackwater.
(d) Command of the Essex.
12. How is visibility in the squalls?
(a) That is one thing that is excellent.
(b) It is amazingly only slightly affected.
(d) They cannot see more than a foot in front of the prow.
13. What happens when Aubrey's ship traps the galley.
(a) The galley sinks.
(b) Aubrey rams the galley and boards it.
(c) The galley sets itself on fire.
(d) It eludes Aubrey a second time.
14. How does Wray become indebted to Maturin?
(a) Maturin saves his arm when it becomes infected.
(b) Losing at cards.
(c) Maturin loans Wray money to send his wife who is pregnant.
(d) Maturin saves his leg when it becomes infected.
15. With what ship do the Surprise and Dryad cross paths?
(a) The Wellington.
(b) The Elizabeth.
(c) The Edinburgh.
(d) The Leopard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can the men not find relief from the heat?
2. Who accompanies the Surprise on its new assignment?
3. What ship do they find?
4. Why does Aubrey give chase to a galley ship they encounter?
5. What surprises Maturin about Mr. Fielding?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)