|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Aubrey disappointed about the admiral he visits?
(a) The admiral has become a drunk.
(b) That the man has declined so severely in such a short time.
(c) Aubrey thinks he might be spying for the French.
(d) The admiral is unfriendly to Aubrey.
2. Whom does Lesueur suspect of being an undercover agent for England?
3. What is happening to the Worcester?
(a) It is being sunk.
(b) It is being given to another officer to command.
(c) It is being retired.
(d) It is being retrofitted and will be in dry dock for a year or more.
4. What news from the Admiral heartens Aubrey?
(a) His father has recovered from a serious illness.
(b) The Surprise will soon be ready.
(c) He is being promoted.
(d) His wife has delivered twins.
5. What sort of relationship does Ponto's rescuer engender with Mrs. Fielding?
(a) Genuine friendship.
(c) Deep love.
(d) Guarded acquaintance.
6. Who is Mr. Hairabedian?
(a) A middle-eastern interpreter.
(b) A glass merchant.
(c) A rug merchant.
(d) A spice merchant.
7. What does Dr. Graham enjoy doing as a pastime?
(b) Playing whist.
(c) Playing bridge.
(d) Searching for new organisms.
8. How is the crew that remains as far as their ties to Aubrey?
(a) They are close to mutiny.
(b) They are fiercely loyal.
(c) The narrator does not mention the crew.
(d) They are loyal enough unless they are offered more pay elsewhere.
9. What does Lesueur want Mrs. Fielding to do?
(a) Seduce Aubrey.
(b) Kill Maturin.
(c) Seduce Maturin and gain intelligence.
(d) Take a message to England.
10. When does the Dromedary arrive at its destination?
(a) Earlier than expected.
(b) Several days late.
(c) They never make it to their intended destination.
(d) Right on time.
11. How long does Aubrey think it will be before the Surprise is ready to sail?
(a) He has no idea.
(b) About 2 weeks.
(c) Several months.
(d) A couple days.
12. What other talent besides tutoring does Mrs. Fielding possess?
(b) She is a musician.
13. About what do the citizens gossip?
(a) About Aubrey having an affair with Mrs. Fielding.
(b) About Ponto's relationship with Mrs. Fielding.
(c) About Maturin having an affair with Mrs. Fielding.
(d) About Ponto's relationship to Aubrey.
14. What does Aubrey need in order to set sail on the Surprise?
(a) The funds to pay for her repairs.
(b) More crew members.
(c) More supplies.
15. What is Mrs. Fielding's first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret occupation does Graham have in common with Maturin?
2. How do Aubrey and his crew travel in the desert?
3. What will be waiting for Aubrey and his crew when they suceed in crossing?
4. How does Ponto respond to his rescuer?
5. What do Aubrey and Maturin share?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)