|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aubrey send his wife?
(a) A letter asking her to come stay with him in Malta.
(b) A large sum of money.
(c) A drawing of him by a local artist.
(d) A writ of divorcement.
2. When do Aubrey and his men travel?
(a) All day.
(b) All night and early morning.
(c) All night.
(d) Evenings and early mornings.
3. Who accompanies Aubrey and his crew?
(a) Dr. Tooley.
(b) Dr. Maturin.
(c) Admiral Hartley.
(d) Dr. Graham.
4. About what do the citizens gossip?
(a) About Ponto's relationship with Mrs. Fielding.
(b) About Aubrey having an affair with Mrs. Fielding.
(c) About Maturin having an affair with Mrs. Fielding.
(d) About Ponto's relationship to Aubrey.
5. How does Ponto respond to his rescuer?
(a) With jealousy.
(b) With affection.
(c) With indifference.
(d) With hostility.
6. How is the crew that remains as far as their ties to Aubrey?
(a) They are loyal enough unless they are offered more pay elsewhere.
(b) They are close to mutiny.
(c) They are fiercely loyal.
(d) The narrator does not mention the crew.
7. Where will Aubrey and his crew be going?
(a) The Mediterranean.
(b) The West Indies.
(c) To blockade of the French harbor at Cherbourg.
(d) To blockagde the French harbor of Brest.
8. What are the officers not enjoying their time in Malta?
(a) The war is about to end and they will be unemployed.
(b) Their ships are being repaired and they are unemployed.
(c) The natives are hostile to them.
(d) They have received new orders to the West Indies.
9. What sort of relationship does Ponto's rescuer engender with Mrs. Fielding?
(a) Guarded acquaintance.
(b) Genuine friendship.
(c) Deep love.
10. Where does Aubrey find Maturin enjoying a performance?
(a) The Duke's training grounds.
(b) The practise ring.
(c) St. Simon's Church.
(d) The outdoor amphitheater.
11. What news from the Admiral heartens Aubrey?
(a) He is being promoted.
(b) His father has recovered from a serious illness.
(c) His wife has delivered twins.
(d) The Surprise will soon be ready.
12. What subject does Mrs. Fielding tutor?
13. What does Wray receive from Lesueur?
(a) A sword.
(b) False intelligence.
(d) A dossier.
14. Where is Mrs. Fielding's husband?
(a) On an American privateer.
(b) In a French prison.
(d) In an English prison.
15. What will be waiting for Aubrey and his crew when they suceed in crossing?
(b) A boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ponto?
2. What other talent besides tutoring does Mrs. Fielding possess?
3. What is a requirement of Ramadan?
4. Who is Effendi?
5. What has happened to many of the men's uniforms?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)