|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tzara, how do Communists like their art?
2. Due to a clerical error on his birth certificate, what if James Joyce's legal middle name?
3. Against what does Carr's historical winner bet sixpence?
(b) Franz Ferdinand,
(c) The Titanic.
4. What did Tzara leave in Carr's drawing room on his last visit?
(a) His cigarette case.
(b) A bar tab.
(c) A French phrasebook.
(d) His library card.
5. By his own estimation, what makes Tzara an artist?
(a) He says he is.
(b) He is innately creative.
(c) He creates beauty.
(d) He is Romanian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bottles of champagne have gone missing under Bennett's watch?
2. How many times does Joyce instruct Gwen to repeat his dictation in the text?
3. According to Tzara, what is out of fashion since the war?
4. What sound effect does Stoppard recommend to accompany time slips in the play?
5. When Bennett states that a social revolution has occurred in Russia, what activity does Carr assume this involves?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what terms does Carr describe Switzerland in this section?
2. What ridiculous statement does Old Carr make about his connection to Lenin?
3. Describe Lenin's aversion to career artists.
4. How does Gwen react to Tzara's poem?
5. In what way has Carr's manner of study impeded his learning?
6. Describe Joyce's defense of classical literature.
7. What apologia does Henry Carr make regarding his memory?
8. Why do the Allies want to keep Lenin in Switzerland?
9. What is the last straw for Gwen and Cecily regarding Tzara and Carr?
10. How does Bennett describe Tzara?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)