|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following locations is not mentioned by Carr as he describes the horrors of the First World War?
2. Citing Karl Marx in this section, Bennett states that there is no way for a country to transition seamlessly from autocracy to what?
3. What is the only driving force of war, according to Tzara?
4. In what country were Joyce and his wife when the war started?
5. What does Joyce announce that he intends to do before leaving the room in this section?
(a) Prepare for The Importance of Being Earnest.
(b) Meet Gwen.
(c) Work on Ulysses.
(d) Take a leisurely walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What detail of the Russian Revolution is not mentioned by Bennett in this section?
2. To what symbol of nonviolence does Carr compare Switzerland in his monologue?
3. What type of poem does Lenin declaim at the end of the first scene of the play?
4. How much money does Bennett say he'd bet on Lenin to succeed in Russia?
5. According to the Bolsheviks, how long should the bourgeois-capitalist democracy last in Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carr's obsession with clothing.
2. What does Lenin ask Nadya to do when he is imprisoned in St. Petersburg?
3. How does Joyce convince Carr to take the role of Algernon?
4. Describe Joyce's defense of classical literature.
5. Why is Carr livid over Joyce's request for 25 francs in ticket sales?
6. Describe some examples of the aristocratic aloofness Carr displays int his section.
7. Describe the scene at the beginning of the play.
8. What is Henry Carr's relationship to James Joyce?
9. How does Joyce explain his decision to produce The Importance of Being Earnest?
10. What request is made of Carr by the British government at the end of the scene?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)