|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country were Joyce and his wife when the war started?
2. How many bottles of champagne have gone missing under Bennett's watch?
3. What sound effect does Stoppard recommend to accompany time slips in the play?
(a) A thunder clap.
(b) A cuckoo clock chime.
(c) A shattering of glass.
(d) A tuba blast.
4. In what year does Carr recall he was acquainted with Joyce, Lenin, and Tzara?
5. For what occasion is Carr dressing in this section?
(a) A wedding.
(b) The theatre.
(c) A date.
(d) A diplomatic banquet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tzara say Cecily is studying the great poets?
2. Where is Joyce buried at the time thhat the Old Carr speaks in this section?
3. To what object does Carr liken the First World War as he describes Switzerland at the end of his monologue?
4. Citing Karl Marx in this section, Bennett states that there is no way for a country to transition seamlessly from autocracy to what?
5. To what does Carr compare being an artist in his rebuttal to Tzara?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are time slips?
2. What apologia does Henry Carr make regarding his memory?
3. How is Lenin surprised by the Russian Revolution?
4. What is Lenin's ill-fated plan to leave Switzerland?
5. How does Joyce explain his decision to produce The Importance of Being Earnest?
6. Describe some examples of the aristocratic aloofness Carr displays int his section.
7. How does Henry Carr change at the end of his monologue?
8. How is Lenin devastated and frustrated listening to a Beethoven symphony?
9. What lie does Carr argue is the artist's great achievement?
10. What is the last straw for Gwen and Cecily regarding Tzara and Carr?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)