|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Nadya deliver to Lenin in the beginning of the play?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) The czar has abdicated.
(c) The revolution has begun in St. Petersburg.
(d) Trotsky has been exiled from Russia.
2. What article of clothing does Carr mention is the focus of the lawsuit between Joyce and him?
(a) A wescot.
(b) A hat.
(c) A cravat.
3. What term for Germans is Carr unfamiliar with before entering the war?
4. How many bottles of champagne have gone missing under Bennett's watch?
5. What does Carr wish to match in choosing a red cravat?
(a) His carnation.
(b) The union jack.
(c) His cumberbund.
(d) His date's dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following locations is not mentioned by Carr as he describes the horrors of the First World War?
2. To which "misfortune" does Carr refer in this section, regarding Tristan Tzara (14)?
3. Whose dropped writings does Joyce pick up in the first scene of the play?
4. What precious stone is in Carr's preferred studs?
5. The Zimmerwaldists believe the workers of the world need to oppose what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carr explain Tzara's appearance?
2. What is Lenin's ill-fated plan to leave Switzerland?
3. How does Henry Carr change at the end of his monologue?
4. How does Joyce convince Carr to take the role of Algernon?
5. What is Henry Carr's relationship to James Joyce?
6. What apologia does Henry Carr make regarding his memory?
7. How do the Zimmerwaldists plan to leave Switzerland?
8. Describe some examples of the aristocratic aloofness Carr displays int his section.
9. How does Carr incorrectly describe Lenin in this monologue?
10. Describe Joyce's defense of classical literature.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)