|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bennett states that a social revolution has occurred in Russia, what activity does Carr assume this involves?
(a) Nuns copulating.
(b) Women smoking.
(c) Peasants reading.
(d) Soldiers protesting.
2. How many times does Joyce instruct Gwen to repeat his dictation in the text?
(a) 10 times.
(c) 5 times.
(d) 3 times.
3. What does Carr wish to match in choosing a red cravat?
(a) The union jack.
(b) His date's dress.
(c) His cumberbund.
(d) His carnation.
4. To what symbol of nonviolence does Carr compare Switzerland in his monologue?
(a) A dove.
(b) A white flag.
(c) An olive branch.
(d) A plowshare.
5. What decision by Russia's provincial government enrages the Soviets in this section?
(a) It stays involved in the war.
(b) It arrests the Bolshevik leadership.
(c) It signs a nonaggression treaty with Serbia.
(d) It gives amnesty to the czar and his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name has Carr been given for Gwen's chaperon?
2. What is the only driving force of war, according to Tzara?
3. Citing Karl Marx in this section, Bennett states that there is no way for a country to transition seamlessly from autocracy to what?
4. To what object does Carr liken the First World War as he describes Switzerland at the end of his monologue?
5. As what does Carr theorize that Tzara is trying to pass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Carr give Tzara regarding the Bolsheviks int his section?
2. What new revelation regarding Bennett is revealed in the final moments of the play?
3. How does Joyce explain his decision to produce The Importance of Being Earnest?
4. What final words of wisdom does Carr offer at the end of the play?
5. How do the Zimmerwaldists plan to leave Switzerland?
6. What lie does Carr argue is the artist's great achievement?
7. What does Lenin ask Nadya to do when he is imprisoned in St. Petersburg?
8. What events have transpired in Russia since the abdication of the czar?
9. How does Carr incorrectly describe Lenin in this monologue?
10. How is Art created, from Tzara's point of view?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)