|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two colors does Carr theorize that Joyce's smoking jacket might have been?
(a) Brown or grey.
(b) Gold or taupe.
(c) Blue or purple.
(d) Maroon or pink.
2. What objects are inadvertently interposed int he beginning of the play?
(a) Two folders.
(b) Two passports.
(c) Two books.
(d) Two hats.
3. What does the British government request of Carr int his section?
(a) That he return to the front.
(b) That he return to London.
(c) That he allow Lenin passage out of Switzerland.
(d) That he spy on Lenin.
4. Which of the following locations is not mentioned by Carr as he describes the horrors of the First World War?
5. According to Carr, what is the name of the street in Zurich on which both Lenin's lodging and Meierei bar were located?
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing his trenches experience in this section, Carr says he ruined several what?
2. What did Tzara leave in Carr's drawing room on his last visit?
3. How many bottles of champagne have gone missing under Bennett's watch?
4. Which of the following is not a term that Carr shouts at Tzara when he loses his temper in this section?
5. What is the only driving force of war, according to Tzara?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bennett describe Tzara?
2. What is Joyce's business at the house at the end of the play?
3. How does Carr explain the essential pleasure of Switzerland to Bennett at the beginning of this section?
4. What questions does Carr attempt to answer regarding Dada?
5. How does Joyce convince Carr to take the role of Algernon?
6. What lie does Carr argue is the artist's great achievement?
7. How does Henry Carr dismiss the writings of Marx in this section?
8. What is Lenin's ill-fated plan to leave Switzerland?
9. What confusion exist between Tzara and Carr regarding the reasoning behind the war?
10. What is Henry Carr's relationship to James Joyce?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)