|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a title that Joyce attaches to Odysseus in this section?
2. What type of literature does Lenin denounce in a 1905 speech in this section?
(a) Pornographic literature.
(b) Decadent literature.
(c) Bourgeois literature.
(d) Non-partisan literature.
3. In this section, Cecily say that when the history of the revolution is written, what will not loom large in it?
(a) Her name.
(d) The Kerensky government.
4. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
(a) An epic battle.
(b) A kangaroo court.
(c) A travesty.
(d) A fait accompli.
5. In mocking Tzara's Dadaist pretensions in this section, what does Carr say the communist will have Tzara pissing?
(d) One color.
6. What is the word on the first strip of paper that Tzara draws for Gwen's poem?
7. What food does Carr eat in this section as he tries to reason through his situation?
(d) Cucumber sandwiches.
8. According to Joyce, what is the only country not to have its art well-represented in Zurich?
9. When he finally explodes at Joyce, into what does Tzara say the writer has turned literature?
(a) A political tool.
(b) A religion.
10. Whose work does Carr excitedly want produced by James Joyce's theatrical troupe?
(a) Gilbert and Sullivan.
(b) His own.
(c) Oscar Wilde.
11. Which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is not mentioned in the section?
(a) The H.M.S. Pinafore.
(d) The Mikado.
12. What role from The Importance of Being Earnest does Carr actually play?
(a) Lady Bracknell.
13. Thinking that he is Tristan Tzara, how does Cecily characterize Henry Carr when they meet in Act 2?
(a) Decadent and nihilistic.
(b) Dark and mysterious.
(c) Foolish and profligate.
(d) Brilliant and radical.
14. Which of the following is not a specific art movement that Lenin decries as incomprehensible in this section?
15. What two countries are attempting to prevent Lenin's entry to Russia?
(a) Germany and Serbia.
(b) Germany and Italy.
(c) Britain and France.
(d) Belgium and France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that Carr does when he meets Tzara in this section?
2. Why does Cecily forgive Carr's outburst in the library in this section?
3. What did Lenin do during a major famine in Russia?
4. During his introduction in the beginning of this section, what is the only thing that Carr says he knows of Joyce?
5. According to Bennett in this section, what are the new odds against Lenin's success?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)