|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Russian writer's name is Carr unable to pronounce at the end of this section?
2. What object does Lenin accidentally strike when he slams his fist on Cecily's desk?
(a) A top hat.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A manuscript.
(d) A bell.
3. In Lenin's poorly-remembered speech in this section, what does losing two revolutions look like?
4. In this section, what action does Tzara publicly state he will never do again?
(b) Shake his brother's hand.
(c) Return to the Library.
(d) Lie to Cecily or Lenin.
5. When he finally explodes at Joyce, into what does Tzara say the writer has turned literature?
(a) A political tool.
(d) A religion.
6. According to Tzara, Huelsenbeck wanted to connect Dadaism to what other movement?
7. What type of literature does Lenin denounce in a 1905 speech in this section?
(a) Decadent literature.
(b) Pornographic literature.
(c) Non-partisan literature.
(d) Bourgeois literature.
8. What novel by Tolstoy does Lenin especially admire?
(a) War and Peace.
(c) Anna Karenina.
9. According to a speech at the Zurich People's House in 1917, what does Lenin think his role will be in the major battles of the Russian Revolution?
(a) He will remain clear of them.
(b) He will die at the barricades.
(c) He will not live to see them.
(d) He will return to Russia to lead them.
10. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
(a) He is making up the diary.
(b) Its copyright has not elapsed.
(c) It is written mostly in gibberish.
(d) He cannot remember much of it.
11. Who is the the Prime Minister of England in 1917?
(c) Lloyd George.
12. What name does Henry Carr use to describe his "brother Jack" to Cecily (47)?
13. From what type of dictionary does Tzara claim the word Dada was taken?
14. What accessory does Lenin intend to wear as he steals out of Switzerland?
(a) A wig.
(c) Face bandages.
(d) A cape.
15. According to Joyce, what is the only country not to have its art well-represented in Zurich?
Short Answer Questions
1. During his introduction in the beginning of this section, what is the only thing that Carr says he knows of Joyce?
2. According to Carr, why was Marx wrong in his assessment of capitalism?
3. What affliction does Joyce confess to having at the beginning of this section?
4. Whose poetry does Tzara attempt the dismember for Gwendolen in this section?
5. To whom does Tzara credit the creation of Dada?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)