|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he finally explodes at Joyce, into what does Tzara say the writer has turned literature?
(b) A religion.
(d) A political tool.
2. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
(a) A fait accompli.
(b) A travesty.
(c) An epic battle.
(d) A kangaroo court.
3. What object does Lenin accidentally strike when he slams his fist on Cecily's desk?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A manuscript.
(c) A top hat.
(d) A bell.
4. What role from The Importance of Being Earnest does Carr actually play?
(b) Lady Bracknell.
5. What is covering Joyce when he returns to the scene to speak with Tzara?
(a) A sheet.
(b) Slips of paper.
6. Which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is not mentioned in the section?
(b) The H.M.S. Pinafore.
(c) The Mikado.
7. Why does Cecily dislike Oscar WIlde?
(a) He is a homosexual.
(b) He is a bourgeois individualist.
(c) He is Irish.
(d) He is a noted colonialist.
8. What Shakespearean lady has Carr played at Eton?
(d) Lady Macbeth.
9. When did Cecily fall in love with Carr?
(a) When "Jack" mentioned his brother.
(b) When he criticized Marx.
(c) When he came into the library.
(d) When Gwen mentioned her brother.
10. Who is the the Prime Minister of England in 1917?
(d) Lloyd George.
11. Which of the following is not a title that Joyce attaches to Odysseus in this section?
12. What affliction does Joyce confess to having at the beginning of this section?
13. In this section, what action does Tzara publicly state he will never do again?
(a) Shake his brother's hand.
(b) Return to the Library.
(d) Lie to Cecily or Lenin.
14. Which of the following is not a specific art movement that Lenin decries as incomprehensible in this section?
15. To whom does Tzara credit the creation of Dada?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
2. What movement is represented by the artist Mayakovsky in this section?
3. What leader does Lenin state that he particularly distrusts in this section?
4. According to Tzara, Huelsenbeck wanted to connect Dadaism to what other movement?
5. What two countries does Carr tell Cecily are the same in this section?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)