|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is not mentioned in the section?
(b) The Mikado.
(c) The H.M.S. Pinafore.
2. What two countries does Carr tell Cecily are the same in this section?
(a) China and Mongolia.
(b) Russia and Germany.
(c) Bulgaria and Romania.
(d) Albania and Montenegro.
3. At a meeting of Russian emigres in Zurich, though what country do the Russians discuss passing to return to their homeland?
4. What accessory does Lenin intend to wear as he steals out of Switzerland?
(a) A cape.
(b) A wig.
(d) Face bandages.
5. According to a speech at the Zurich People's House in 1917, what does Lenin think his role will be in the major battles of the Russian Revolution?
(a) He will remain clear of them.
(b) He will return to Russia to lead them.
(c) He will die at the barricades.
(d) He will not live to see them.
6. Whose work does Carr excitedly want produced by James Joyce's theatrical troupe?
(a) His own.
(b) Gilbert and Sullivan.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
7. What Russian writer's name is Carr unable to pronounce at the end of this section?
8. What food does Carr eat in this section as he tries to reason through his situation?
(d) Cucumber sandwiches.
9. How much money does Carr end up giving Joyce in this section?
(a) 14 pounds.
(b) 10 pounds.
(c) 2 pounds.
(d) 5 pounds.
10. According to Tzara, Huelsenbeck wanted to connect Dadaism to what other movement?
11. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
(a) It is written mostly in gibberish.
(b) He cannot remember much of it.
(c) Its copyright has not elapsed.
(d) He is making up the diary.
12. What is covering Joyce when he returns to the scene to speak with Tzara?
(a) A sheet.
(b) Slips of paper.
13. How many socialist ministers exist in West European governments in 1917?
14. What two countries are attempting to prevent Lenin's entry to Russia?
(a) Germany and Serbia.
(b) Belgium and France.
(c) Britain and France.
(d) Germany and Italy.
15. As an artist, to what does Joyce tell Carr he attaches no importance?
(d) Good taste.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1917, who is about to join the Allies in the war?
2. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
3. What is the name of the man in whose house Lenin stay in Zurich?
4. When did Cecily fall in love with Carr?
5. What did Lenin do during a major famine in Russia?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)