|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cecily dislike Oscar WIlde?
(a) He is a homosexual.
(b) He is a noted colonialist.
(c) He is a bourgeois individualist.
(d) He is Irish.
2. Who does Gwen leave to tell of her engagement to Tzara?
3. Whose work does Carr excitedly want produced by James Joyce's theatrical troupe?
(b) Gilbert and Sullivan.
(c) Oscar Wilde.
(d) His own.
4. Whose poetry does Tzara attempt the dismember for Gwendolen in this section?
5. What does Carr dream about sometimes?
(a) Acting in The Importance of Being Earnest.
(b) The trenches.
(c) Cross-examining Joyce.
(d) Writing Ulysses.
6. What Russian writer's name is Carr unable to pronounce at the end of this section?
7. In this section, Cecily say that when the history of the revolution is written, what will not loom large in it?
(a) Her name.
(d) The Kerensky government.
8. What does Lenin dislike about the staging of a Dickens tale?
(a) Its sentimentality.
(b) Its Christian undertones.
(c) Its relentless Britishness.
(d) Its classism.
9. During his introduction in the beginning of this section, what is the only thing that Carr says he knows of Joyce?
(a) His name.
(b) His reputation.
(c) His work.
(d) His hometown.
10. What movement is represented by the artist Mayakovsky in this section?
11. What Shakespearean lady has Carr played at Eton?
(a) Lady Macbeth.
12. In this section, what action does Tzara publicly state he will never do again?
(a) Shake his brother's hand.
(b) Return to the Library.
(c) Lie to Cecily or Lenin.
13. What affliction does Joyce confess to having at the beginning of this section?
14. According to Bennett in this section, what are the new odds against Lenin's success?
(a) 100 to 1.
(b) 10,000 to 1.
(c) 10 to 1.
(d) 1,000 to 1.
15. In what town is the most famous photo of Lenin taken?
(c) St. Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day is the Zurich Library closed?
2. What is the first thing that Carr does when he meets Tzara in this section?
3. In what year did Tristan Tzara die?
4. What object does Lenin accidentally strike when he slams his fist on Cecily's desk?
5. Which of the following is not a specific art movement that Lenin decries as incomprehensible in this section?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)