|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is not mentioned in the section?
(c) The Mikado.
(d) The H.M.S. Pinafore.
2. In this section, Lenin proclaims that no freedom can be achieved in a society based on what?
3. According to Tzara, Huelsenbeck wanted to connect Dadaism to what other movement?
4. Whose poetry does Tzara attempt the dismember for Gwendolen in this section?
5. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
(a) He cannot remember much of it.
(b) He is making up the diary.
(c) It is written mostly in gibberish.
(d) Its copyright has not elapsed.
6. How many socialist ministers exist in West European governments in 1917?
7. According to Carr, what likely happened around the same time as Das Kapital was published?
(a) Britain became the dominent manufacturing state.
(b) The capitalist system began improving.
(c) The worker officially became alienated form his labor.
(d) Europe lost interest in socialism.
8. What does Carr dream about sometimes?
(a) The trenches.
(b) Acting in The Importance of Being Earnest.
(c) Writing Ulysses.
(d) Cross-examining Joyce.
9. What food does Carr eat in this section as he tries to reason through his situation?
(c) Cucumber sandwiches.
10. What is the name of the man in whose house Lenin stay in Zurich?
11. According to a speech at the Zurich People's House in 1917, what does Lenin think his role will be in the major battles of the Russian Revolution?
(a) He will remain clear of them.
(b) He will return to Russia to lead them.
(c) He will die at the barricades.
(d) He will not live to see them.
12. During his introduction in the beginning of this section, what is the only thing that Carr says he knows of Joyce?
(a) His hometown.
(b) His work.
(c) His reputation.
(d) His name.
13. What did Lenin do during a major famine in Russia?
(a) Wrote his first book.
(b) Organized soup kitchens.
14. What accessory does Lenin intend to wear as he steals out of Switzerland?
(a) A cape.
(b) Face bandages.
(c) A wig.
15. For what purpose does Carr propose that he and Cecily go to lunch?
(a) So she can reform him.
(b) So he can show her his Dada poetry.
(c) So he can tell her the truth about Jack.
(d) So she can tell him about Lenin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movement is represented by the artist Mayakovsky in this section?
2. When Cecily finally lashes out at Carr, she says Marx warns the worker against all of the following groups but which?
3. What profession does Lenin's attire suggest when he enters in Act 2?
4. In this section, Cecily say that when the history of the revolution is written, what will not loom large in it?
5. How much money does Carr end up giving Joyce in this section?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)