|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Henry Carr use to describe his "brother Jack" to Cecily (47)?
2. What object does Lenin accidentally strike when he slams his fist on Cecily's desk?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A top hat.
(c) A manuscript.
(d) A bell.
3. At a meeting of Russian emigres in Zurich, though what country do the Russians discuss passing to return to their homeland?
4. How much money does Joyce request of Carr after the play for tickets?
(a) 15 francs.
(b) 20 francs.
(c) 10 francs.
(d) 25 francs.
5. When did Cecily fall in love with Carr?
(a) When he criticized Marx.
(b) When "Jack" mentioned his brother.
(c) When Gwen mentioned her brother.
(d) When he came into the library.
6. What does Lenin dislike about the staging of a Dickens tale?
(a) Its sentimentality.
(b) Its Christian undertones.
(c) Its classism.
(d) Its relentless Britishness.
7. In Lenin's poorly-remembered speech in this section, what does losing two revolutions look like?
8. In this section, Tzara tells Gwen that her most perfect attribute is her what?
9. Where are Lenin and Nadya when the war breaks out?
10. From what type of dictionary does Tzara claim the word Dada was taken?
11. Thinking that he is Tristan Tzara, how does Cecily characterize Henry Carr when they meet in Act 2?
(a) Decadent and nihilistic.
(b) Foolish and profligate.
(c) Brilliant and radical.
(d) Dark and mysterious.
12. What is the name of the man in whose house Lenin stay in Zurich?
13. What food does Carr eat in this section as he tries to reason through his situation?
(c) Cucumber sandwiches.
14. According to Cecily, what is the sole purpose of art?
(b) To be a commodity.
(c) Social criticism.
(d) To be burned.
15. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
(a) An epic battle.
(b) A travesty.
(c) A fait accompli.
(d) A kangaroo court.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bennett in this section, what are the new odds against Lenin's success?
2. What does Carr imagine Cecily doing as she berates him at the end of this section?
3. Which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is not mentioned in the section?
4. What accessory does Lenin intend to wear as he steals out of Switzerland?
5. What Shakespearean lady has Carr played at Eton?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)