|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lenin dislike about the staging of a Dickens tale?
(a) Its classism.
(b) Its relentless Britishness.
(c) Its Christian undertones.
(d) Its sentimentality.
2. According to Cecily, what is the sole purpose of art?
(b) Social criticism.
(c) To be burned.
(d) To be a commodity.
3. When he finally explodes at Joyce, into what does Tzara say the writer has turned literature?
(b) A political tool.
(d) A religion.
4. How many socialist ministers exist in West European governments in 1917?
5. Why does Cecily forgive Carr's outburst in the library in this section?
(a) The library is empty.
(b) She is captivated by him.
(c) She is about to quit her post as librarian.
(d) The reference section is about to close.
6. What two countries are attempting to prevent Lenin's entry to Russia?
(a) Germany and Serbia.
(b) Germany and Italy.
(c) Britain and France.
(d) Belgium and France.
7. Whose work does Carr excitedly want produced by James Joyce's theatrical troupe?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Gilbert and Sullivan.
(d) His own.
8. Where are Lenin and Nadya when the war breaks out?
9. What leader does Lenin state that he particularly distrusts in this section?
(a) Lloyd George.
10. In mocking Tzara's Dadaist pretensions in this section, what does Carr say the communist will have Tzara pissing?
(c) One color.
11. What composer's music reduces Lenin to tears int his section?
12. What does Carr dream about sometimes?
(a) Writing Ulysses.
(b) Cross-examining Joyce.
(c) The trenches.
(d) Acting in The Importance of Being Earnest.
13. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
(a) He is making up the diary.
(b) Its copyright has not elapsed.
(c) He cannot remember much of it.
(d) It is written mostly in gibberish.
14. What Shakespearean lady has Carr played at Eton?
(c) Lady Macbeth.
15. Having only studied alphabetically, Carr says that politically he has not progressed beyond what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Lenin's attire suggest when he enters in Act 2?
2. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
3. When Cecily finally lashes out at Carr, she says Marx warns the worker against all of the following groups but which?
4. When did Cecily fall in love with Carr?
5. According to Bennett in this section, what are the new odds against Lenin's success?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)