|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Joyce, what is the only country not to have its art well-represented in Zurich?
2. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
(a) A travesty.
(b) A fait accompli.
(c) A kangaroo court.
(d) An epic battle.
3. According to Cecily, what is the sole purpose of art?
(a) Social criticism.
(c) To be a commodity.
(d) To be burned.
4. What role from The Importance of Being Earnest does Carr actually play?
(d) Lady Bracknell.
5. What is the word on the first strip of paper that Tzara draws for Gwen's poem?
6. What new information does Cecily reveal about Bennett in this section?
(a) He has fled to Serbia.
(b) He is an amateur poet.
(c) He is a spy.
(d) He is a Bolshevik sympathizer.
7. In this section, Tzara tells Gwen that her most perfect attribute is her what?
8. Why does Cecily forgive Carr's outburst in the library in this section?
(a) The library is empty.
(b) She is about to quit her post as librarian.
(c) The reference section is about to close.
(d) She is captivated by him.
9. What composer's music reduces Lenin to tears int his section?
10. What food does Carr eat in this section as he tries to reason through his situation?
(a) Cucumber sandwiches.
11. What does Carr imagine Cecily doing as she berates him at the end of this section?
(b) Jumping rope.
(c) Waltzing with him.
(d) Tearing up Lenin's manuscript.
12. In what year did Tristan Tzara die?
13. When he finally explodes at Joyce, into what does Tzara say the writer has turned literature?
(b) A religion.
(c) A political tool.
14. According to Tzara, Huelsenbeck wanted to connect Dadaism to what other movement?
15. To whom does Tzara credit the creation of Dada?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day is the Zurich Library closed?
2. Which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is not mentioned in the section?
3. Whose work does Carr excitedly want produced by James Joyce's theatrical troupe?
4. Why does Cecily dislike Oscar WIlde?
5. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)