|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carr imagine Cecily doing as she berates him at the end of this section?
(a) Jumping rope.
(b) Tearing up Lenin's manuscript.
(d) Waltzing with him.
2. In what year did Tristan Tzara die?
3. What did Lenin do during a major famine in Russia?
(b) Wrote his first book.
(c) Organized soup kitchens.
4. In mocking Tzara's Dadaist pretensions in this section, what does Carr say the communist will have Tzara pissing?
(c) One color.
5. What composer's music reduces Lenin to tears int his section?
6. In this section, Lenin proclaims that no freedom can be achieved in a society based on what?
7. According to Cecily, what is the sole purpose of art?
(a) To be burned.
(b) To be a commodity.
(c) Social criticism.
8. To whom does Tzara credit the creation of Dada?
9. What is the first thing that Carr does when he meets Tzara in this section?
(a) He apologizes to him.
(b) He punches him.
(c) He dances with him.
(d) He runs away from him.
10. What new information does Cecily reveal about Bennett in this section?
(a) He is a Bolshevik sympathizer.
(b) He is an amateur poet.
(c) He has fled to Serbia.
(d) He is a spy.
11. According to a speech at the Zurich People's House in 1917, what does Lenin think his role will be in the major battles of the Russian Revolution?
(a) He will remain clear of them.
(b) He will die at the barricades.
(c) He will not live to see them.
(d) He will return to Russia to lead them.
12. In 1917, who is about to join the Allies in the war?
13. What does Joyce pull out of Tzara's hat before leaving the stage?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) Another hat.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) A whole poem.
14. On what day is the Zurich Library closed?
15. According to Carr, why was Marx wrong in his assessment of capitalism?
(a) He was ill-educated.
(b) He was writing from a foriegn perspective.
(c) He was writing during the Industrial Revolution.
(d) He has never invested in a major company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
2. What movement is represented by the artist Mayakovsky in this section?
3. Whose poetry does Tzara attempt the dismember for Gwendolen in this section?
4. Who does Gwen leave to tell of her engagement to Tzara?
5. In this section, what action does Tzara publicly state he will never do again?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)