|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role from The Importance of Being Earnest does Carr actually play?
(b) Lady Bracknell.
2. Why does Cecily dislike Oscar WIlde?
(a) He is a homosexual.
(b) He is Irish.
(c) He is a noted colonialist.
(d) He is a bourgeois individualist.
3. Who is the the Prime Minister of England in 1917?
(c) Lloyd George.
4. How much money does Joyce request of Carr after the play for tickets?
(a) 25 francs.
(b) 10 francs.
(c) 15 francs.
(d) 20 francs.
5. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
(a) He cannot remember much of it.
(b) Its copyright has not elapsed.
(c) It is written mostly in gibberish.
(d) He is making up the diary.
6. For what purpose does Carr propose that he and Cecily go to lunch?
(a) So he can show her his Dada poetry.
(b) So she can tell him about Lenin.
(c) So she can reform him.
(d) So he can tell her the truth about Jack.
7. What does Carr imagine Cecily doing as she berates him at the end of this section?
(a) Waltzing with him.
(b) Jumping rope.
(d) Tearing up Lenin's manuscript.
8. What two countries does Carr tell Cecily are the same in this section?
(a) Albania and Montenegro.
(b) Russia and Germany.
(c) China and Mongolia.
(d) Bulgaria and Romania.
9. What object does Lenin accidentally strike when he slams his fist on Cecily's desk?
(a) A top hat.
(b) A bell.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A manuscript.
10. When did Cecily fall in love with Carr?
(a) When Gwen mentioned her brother.
(b) When "Jack" mentioned his brother.
(c) When he came into the library.
(d) When he criticized Marx.
11. Thinking that he is Tristan Tzara, how does Cecily characterize Henry Carr when they meet in Act 2?
(a) Decadent and nihilistic.
(b) Brilliant and radical.
(c) Foolish and profligate.
(d) Dark and mysterious.
12. What did Lenin do during a major famine in Russia?
(a) Organized soup kitchens.
(d) Wrote his first book.
13. At a meeting of Russian emigres in Zurich, though what country do the Russians discuss passing to return to their homeland?
14. In mocking Tzara's Dadaist pretensions in this section, what does Carr say the communist will have Tzara pissing?
(d) One color.
15. In what town is the most famous photo of Lenin taken?
(b) St. Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a speech at the Zurich People's House in 1917, what does Lenin think his role will be in the major battles of the Russian Revolution?
2. What accessory does Lenin intend to wear as he steals out of Switzerland?
3. What type of literature does Lenin denounce in a 1905 speech in this section?
4. Which of the following is not a specific art movement that Lenin decries as incomprehensible in this section?
5. What Shakespearean lady has Carr played at Eton?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)