|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At a meeting of Russian emigres in Zurich, though what country do the Russians discuss passing to return to their homeland?
2. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
(a) A kangaroo court.
(b) A travesty.
(c) An epic battle.
(d) A fait accompli.
3. What name does Henry Carr use to describe his "brother Jack" to Cecily (47)?
4. What leader does Lenin state that he particularly distrusts in this section?
(a) Lloyd George.
5. According to a speech at the Zurich People's House in 1917, what does Lenin think his role will be in the major battles of the Russian Revolution?
(a) He will not live to see them.
(b) He will die at the barricades.
(c) He will remain clear of them.
(d) He will return to Russia to lead them.
6. What two countries are attempting to prevent Lenin's entry to Russia?
(a) Britain and France.
(b) Germany and Serbia.
(c) Belgium and France.
(d) Germany and Italy.
7. Thinking that he is Tristan Tzara, how does Cecily characterize Henry Carr when they meet in Act 2?
(a) Dark and mysterious.
(b) Foolish and profligate.
(c) Decadent and nihilistic.
(d) Brilliant and radical.
8. Which of the following is not a title that Joyce attaches to Odysseus in this section?
9. According to Tzara, artists and intellectuals will be what to the Russian Revolution?
(b) The voice.
(c) A thorn in the side.
10. In what year did Tristan Tzara die?
11. According to Carr, what likely happened around the same time as Das Kapital was published?
(a) The capitalist system began improving.
(b) The worker officially became alienated form his labor.
(c) Europe lost interest in socialism.
(d) Britain became the dominent manufacturing state.
12. Which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is not mentioned in the section?
(c) The H.M.S. Pinafore.
(d) The Mikado.
13. How much money does Carr end up giving Joyce in this section?
(a) 14 pounds.
(b) 5 pounds.
(c) 2 pounds.
(d) 10 pounds.
14. Whose work does Carr excitedly want produced by James Joyce's theatrical troupe?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(b) His own.
(c) Gilbert and Sullivan.
15. What is the word on the first strip of paper that Tzara draws for Gwen's poem?
Short Answer Questions
1. In this section, what action does Tzara publicly state he will never do again?
2. Which of the following is not a specific art movement that Lenin decries as incomprehensible in this section?
3. What new information does Cecily reveal about Bennett in this section?
4. As an artist, to what does Joyce tell Carr he attaches no importance?
5. Who is the the Prime Minister of England in 1917?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)