|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Carr, what likely happened around the same time as Das Kapital was published?
(a) Europe lost interest in socialism.
(b) The capitalist system began improving.
(c) The worker officially became alienated form his labor.
(d) Britain became the dominent manufacturing state.
2. What Russian writer's name is Carr unable to pronounce at the end of this section?
3. What food does Carr eat in this section as he tries to reason through his situation?
(a) Cucumber sandwiches.
4. What new information does Cecily reveal about Bennett in this section?
(a) He is a spy.
(b) He is a Bolshevik sympathizer.
(c) He has fled to Serbia.
(d) He is an amateur poet.
5. What movement is represented by the artist Mayakovsky in this section?
6. According to Tzara, artists and intellectuals will be what to the Russian Revolution?
(a) The voice.
(c) A thorn in the side.
7. According to a speech at the Zurich People's House in 1917, what does Lenin think his role will be in the major battles of the Russian Revolution?
(a) He will remain clear of them.
(b) He will return to Russia to lead them.
(c) He will not live to see them.
(d) He will die at the barricades.
8. What type of literature does Lenin denounce in a 1905 speech in this section?
(a) Decadent literature.
(b) Non-partisan literature.
(c) Pornographic literature.
(d) Bourgeois literature.
9. What does Carr imagine Cecily doing as she berates him at the end of this section?
(a) Jumping rope.
(c) Waltzing with him.
(d) Tearing up Lenin's manuscript.
10. What two countries are attempting to prevent Lenin's entry to Russia?
(a) Germany and Serbia.
(b) Belgium and France.
(c) Britain and France.
(d) Germany and Italy.
11. During his introduction in the beginning of this section, what is the only thing that Carr says he knows of Joyce?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His hometown.
(c) His work.
(d) His name.
12. Having only studied alphabetically, Carr says that politically he has not progressed beyond what?
13. In mocking Tzara's Dadaist pretensions in this section, what does Carr say the communist will have Tzara pissing?
(d) One color.
14. What role from The Importance of Being Earnest does Carr actually play?
(d) Lady Bracknell.
15. When Cecily finally lashes out at Carr, she says Marx warns the worker against all of the following groups but which?
(b) Piecemeal reformers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that Carr does when he meets Tzara in this section?
2. What is the name of the man in whose house Lenin stay in Zurich?
3. In this section, Cecily say that when the history of the revolution is written, what will not loom large in it?
4. What is covering Joyce when he returns to the scene to speak with Tzara?
5. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)