|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
(a) It is written mostly in gibberish.
(b) He is making up the diary.
(c) He cannot remember much of it.
(d) Its copyright has not elapsed.
2. In 1917, who is about to join the Allies in the war?
3. What role from The Importance of Being Earnest does Carr actually play?
(c) Lady Bracknell.
4. On what day is the Zurich Library closed?
5. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
(a) A travesty.
(b) A kangaroo court.
(c) An epic battle.
(d) A fait accompli.
6. What name does Henry Carr use to describe his "brother Jack" to Cecily (47)?
7. When he finally explodes at Joyce, into what does Tzara say the writer has turned literature?
(c) A religion.
(d) A political tool.
8. What does Carr dream about sometimes?
(a) The trenches.
(b) Cross-examining Joyce.
(c) Acting in The Importance of Being Earnest.
(d) Writing Ulysses.
9. After what French writer do the Dadaists name their Cabaret at the Meierei Bar?
10. What is the first thing that Carr does when he meets Tzara in this section?
(a) He punches him.
(b) He dances with him.
(c) He apologizes to him.
(d) He runs away from him.
11. According to Joyce, what is the only country not to have its art well-represented in Zurich?
12. What novel by Tolstoy does Lenin especially admire?
(b) Anna Karenina.
(d) War and Peace.
13. What affliction does Joyce confess to having at the beginning of this section?
14. As an artist, to what does Joyce tell Carr he attaches no importance?
(a) Good taste.
15. Which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is not mentioned in the section?
(c) The Mikado.
(d) The H.M.S. Pinafore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gwen leave to tell of her engagement to Tzara?
2. Which of the following is not a title that Joyce attaches to Odysseus in this section?
3. In this section, what action does Tzara publicly state he will never do again?
4. At a meeting of Russian emigres in Zurich, though what country do the Russians discuss passing to return to their homeland?
5. To whom does Tzara credit the creation of Dada?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)