|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a title that Joyce attaches to Odysseus in this section?
2. Who does Gwen leave to tell of her engagement to Tzara?
3. In mocking Tzara's Dadaist pretensions in this section, what does Carr say the communist will have Tzara pissing?
(c) One color.
4. Whose work does Carr excitedly want produced by James Joyce's theatrical troupe?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Gilbert and Sullivan.
(d) His own.
5. As an artist, to what does Joyce tell Carr he attaches no importance?
(b) Good taste.
6. What Russian writer's name is Carr unable to pronounce at the end of this section?
7. In what town is the most famous photo of Lenin taken?
(a) St. Petersburg.
8. According to Carr, what likely happened around the same time as Das Kapital was published?
(a) Europe lost interest in socialism.
(b) Britain became the dominent manufacturing state.
(c) The capitalist system began improving.
(d) The worker officially became alienated form his labor.
9. In this section, Tzara tells Gwen that her most perfect attribute is her what?
10. When did Cecily fall in love with Carr?
(a) When he criticized Marx.
(b) When Gwen mentioned her brother.
(c) When "Jack" mentioned his brother.
(d) When he came into the library.
11. According to Tzara, Huelsenbeck wanted to connect Dadaism to what other movement?
12. From what type of dictionary does Tzara claim the word Dada was taken?
13. Why does Cecily forgive Carr's outburst in the library in this section?
(a) The library is empty.
(b) She is about to quit her post as librarian.
(c) She is captivated by him.
(d) The reference section is about to close.
14. According to Cecily, what is the sole purpose of art?
(a) To be a commodity.
(c) To be burned.
(d) Social criticism.
15. Where are Lenin and Nadya when the war breaks out?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bennett in this section, what are the new odds against Lenin's success?
2. How much money does Carr end up giving Joyce in this section?
3. In this section, what action does Tzara publicly state he will never do again?
4. What affliction does Joyce confess to having at the beginning of this section?
5. In this section, Lenin proclaims that no freedom can be achieved in a society based on what?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)