|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Shakespearean lady has Carr played at Eton?
(a) Lady Macbeth.
2. According to Bennett in this section, what are the new odds against Lenin's success?
(a) 1,000 to 1.
(b) 100 to 1.
(c) 10,000 to 1.
(d) 10 to 1.
3. How much money does Carr end up giving Joyce in this section?
(a) 10 pounds.
(b) 5 pounds.
(c) 2 pounds.
(d) 14 pounds.
4. Whose work does Carr excitedly want produced by James Joyce's theatrical troupe?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(b) His own.
(c) Gilbert and Sullivan.
5. In what year did Tristan Tzara die?
6. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
(a) A travesty.
(b) A fait accompli.
(c) A kangaroo court.
(d) An epic battle.
7. According to Carr, what likely happened around the same time as Das Kapital was published?
(a) The capitalist system began improving.
(b) Europe lost interest in socialism.
(c) The worker officially became alienated form his labor.
(d) Britain became the dominent manufacturing state.
8. As an artist, to what does Joyce tell Carr he attaches no importance?
(c) Good taste.
9. When he finally explodes at Joyce, into what does Tzara say the writer has turned literature?
(a) A religion.
(b) A political tool.
10. During his introduction in the beginning of this section, what is the only thing that Carr says he knows of Joyce?
(a) His name.
(b) His hometown.
(c) His reputation.
(d) His work.
11. According to Joyce, what is the only country not to have its art well-represented in Zurich?
12. What two countries does Carr tell Cecily are the same in this section?
(a) Bulgaria and Romania.
(b) China and Mongolia.
(c) Russia and Germany.
(d) Albania and Montenegro.
13. What is the word on the first strip of paper that Tzara draws for Gwen's poem?
14. Which of the following is not a specific art movement that Lenin decries as incomprehensible in this section?
15. What name does Henry Carr use to describe his "brother Jack" to Cecily (47)?
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Lenin's attire suggest when he enters in Act 2?
2. What role from The Importance of Being Earnest does Carr actually play?
3. Where are Lenin and Nadya when the war breaks out?
4. What is the first thing that Carr does when he meets Tzara in this section?
5. How many socialist ministers exist in West European governments in 1917?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)