|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What leader does Lenin state that he particularly distrusts in this section?
(a) Lloyd George.
2. What does Carr dream about sometimes?
(a) Writing Ulysses.
(b) Cross-examining Joyce.
(c) The trenches.
(d) Acting in The Importance of Being Earnest.
3. To whom does Tzara credit the creation of Dada?
4. What does Joyce pull out of Tzara's hat before leaving the stage?
(a) Another hat.
(b) A whole poem.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) His manuscript.
5. What food does Carr eat in this section as he tries to reason through his situation?
(a) Cucumber sandwiches.
6. In this section, Cecily say that when the history of the revolution is written, what will not loom large in it?
(a) Her name.
(b) The Kerensky government.
7. What movement is represented by the artist Mayakovsky in this section?
8. In what town is the most famous photo of Lenin taken?
(d) St. Petersburg.
9. In Lenin's poorly-remembered speech in this section, what does losing two revolutions look like?
10. On what day is the Zurich Library closed?
11. Which of the following is not a title that Joyce attaches to Odysseus in this section?
12. From what type of dictionary does Tzara claim the word Dada was taken?
13. As an artist, to what does Joyce tell Carr he attaches no importance?
(b) Good taste.
14. Where are Lenin and Nadya when the war breaks out?
15. According to Carr, what likely happened around the same time as Das Kapital was published?
(a) The worker officially became alienated form his labor.
(b) Europe lost interest in socialism.
(c) The capitalist system began improving.
(d) Britain became the dominent manufacturing state.
Short Answer Questions
1. After what French writer do the Dadaists name their Cabaret at the Meierei Bar?
2. What problematic attribute makes finding two Swedes for Lenin particularly difficult?
3. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
4. According to Carr, why was Marx wrong in his assessment of capitalism?
5. According to a speech at the Zurich People's House in 1917, what does Lenin think his role will be in the major battles of the Russian Revolution?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)