|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what type of dictionary does Tzara claim the word Dada was taken?
2. What food does Carr eat in this section as he tries to reason through his situation?
(d) Cucumber sandwiches.
3. In Lenin's poorly-remembered speech in this section, what does losing two revolutions look like?
4. Who is the the Prime Minister of England in 1917?
(c) Lloyd George.
5. At a meeting of Russian emigres in Zurich, though what country do the Russians discuss passing to return to their homeland?
6. What profession does Lenin's attire suggest when he enters in Act 2?
(a) A banker.
(b) A parson.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A porter.
7. Why does Cecily forgive Carr's outburst in the library in this section?
(a) She is about to quit her post as librarian.
(b) She is captivated by him.
(c) The reference section is about to close.
(d) The library is empty.
8. What role from The Importance of Being Earnest does Carr actually play?
(a) Lady Bracknell.
9. What did Lenin do during a major famine in Russia?
(c) Wrote his first book.
(d) Organized soup kitchens.
10. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
(a) A fait accompli.
(b) A travesty.
(c) A kangaroo court.
(d) An epic battle.
11. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
(a) It is written mostly in gibberish.
(b) Its copyright has not elapsed.
(c) He cannot remember much of it.
(d) He is making up the diary.
12. Which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is not mentioned in the section?
(a) The H.M.S. Pinafore.
(c) The Mikado.
13. According to Carr, why was Marx wrong in his assessment of capitalism?
(a) He was ill-educated.
(b) He was writing during the Industrial Revolution.
(c) He was writing from a foriegn perspective.
(d) He has never invested in a major company.
14. In mocking Tzara's Dadaist pretensions in this section, what does Carr say the communist will have Tzara pissing?
(b) One color.
15. In this section, Tzara tells Gwen that her most perfect attribute is her what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In this section, Cecily say that when the history of the revolution is written, what will not loom large in it?
2. As an artist, to what does Joyce tell Carr he attaches no importance?
3. What does Joyce pull out of Tzara's hat before leaving the stage?
4. What novel by Tolstoy does Lenin especially admire?
5. According to Carr, what likely happened around the same time as Das Kapital was published?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)