|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cecily finally lashes out at Carr, she says Marx warns the worker against all of the following groups but which?
(d) Piecemeal reformers.
2. How does Carr describe his trial against Joyce at the end of Act 1?
(a) A kangaroo court.
(b) An epic battle.
(c) A fait accompli.
(d) A travesty.
3. What object does Lenin accidentally strike when he slams his fist on Cecily's desk?
(a) A bell.
(b) A manuscript.
(c) A top hat.
(d) A rabbit.
4. As an artist, to what does Joyce tell Carr he attaches no importance?
(d) Good taste.
5. What type of literature does Lenin denounce in a 1905 speech in this section?
(a) Pornographic literature.
(b) Decadent literature.
(c) Bourgeois literature.
(d) Non-partisan literature.
6. What two countries are attempting to prevent Lenin's entry to Russia?
(a) Britain and France.
(b) Germany and Serbia.
(c) Germany and Italy.
(d) Belgium and France.
7. What two countries does Carr tell Cecily are the same in this section?
(a) China and Mongolia.
(b) Bulgaria and Romania.
(c) Russia and Germany.
(d) Albania and Montenegro.
8. According to Carr, why was Marx wrong in his assessment of capitalism?
(a) He was ill-educated.
(b) He was writing during the Industrial Revolution.
(c) He was writing from a foriegn perspective.
(d) He has never invested in a major company.
9. What accessory does Lenin intend to wear as he steals out of Switzerland?
(a) Face bandages.
(b) A wig.
(c) A cape.
10. According to Cecily, what is the sole purpose of art?
(a) To be burned.
(b) To be a commodity.
(d) Social criticism.
11. Where are Lenin and Nadya when the war breaks out?
12. When he finally explodes at Joyce, into what does Tzara say the writer has turned literature?
(a) A religion.
(c) A political tool.
13. According to Joyce, what is the only country not to have its art well-represented in Zurich?
14. Why does Tzara quote so sparingly from Hugo Ball's diary in describing him to Joyce?
(a) He cannot remember much of it.
(b) Its copyright has not elapsed.
(c) He is making up the diary.
(d) It is written mostly in gibberish.
15. What is the first thing that Carr does when he meets Tzara in this section?
(a) He punches him.
(b) He runs away from him.
(c) He dances with him.
(d) He apologizes to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bennett in this section, what are the new odds against Lenin's success?
2. What composer's music reduces Lenin to tears int his section?
3. According to Carr, what likely happened around the same time as Das Kapital was published?
4. On what day is the Zurich Library closed?
5. In this section, what action does Tzara publicly state he will never do again?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)