|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joyce announce that he intends to do before leaving the room in this section?
(a) Take a leisurely walk.
(b) Meet Gwen.
(c) Work on Ulysses.
(d) Prepare for The Importance of Being Earnest.
2. Which of the following characters does not enter at the beginning of this section?
3. According to Carr, what was always apparent in Joyce's personality?
(a) His profligacy.
(b) His Irishness.
(c) His genius.
(d) His shyness.
4. Which character is unassisted at the beginning of Act 1?
5. According to Gwen in this section, what does Tzara do in addiction to writing poetry?
(a) He sculpts.
(b) He teaches art history.
(c) He paints.
(d) He dances.
6. Which of the following facts does Carr announce is not open to correction at the end of his monologue?
(a) His name.
(b) His prowess as a lover.
(c) His politics.
(d) His height.
7. To what symbol of nonviolence does Carr compare Switzerland in his monologue?
(a) A white flag.
(b) An olive branch.
(c) A dove.
(d) A plowshare.
8. What does Carr wish to match in choosing a red cravat?
(a) His carnation.
(b) His cumberbund.
(c) The union jack.
(d) His date's dress.
9. How much money does Bennett say he'd bet on Lenin to succeed in Russia?
(a) 5 pounds.
(b) 1 shilling.
(c) 50 shillings.
(d) 1 pound.
10. In what country were Joyce and his wife when the war started?
11. In describing his trenches experience in this section, Carr says he ruined several what?
(a) Pairs of trousers.
(c) First edition Trollopes.
12. What masterwork is Joyce in the process of write when he and Carr are acquainted?
(a) The Dubliners.
(b) Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man.
(c) Finnegan's Wake.
13. According to Tzara, what is out of fashion since the war?
14. What character from the play has left his card with Bennett?
15. What color does Carr recall Lenin's eyes being?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what two locations does the play take place?
2. To what does Carr compare being an artist in his rebuttal to Tzara?
3. How does the style of dialogue change as the new characters enter in this section?
4. Due to a clerical error on his birth certificate, what if James Joyce's legal middle name?
5. What art movement is born our of the Meierei Bar in Zurich?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)