|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bennett think are the odds against Lenin prevailing in Russia?
(a) 1 billion to 1.
(b) 10,000 to 1.
(c) 1,000 to 1.
(d) 1 million to 1.
2. What name has Carr been given for Gwen's chaperon?
3. What does Joyce announce that he intends to do before leaving the room in this section?
(a) Meet Gwen.
(b) Take a leisurely walk.
(c) Work on Ulysses.
(d) Prepare for The Importance of Being Earnest.
4. According to the Bolsheviks, how long should the bourgeois-capitalist democracy last in Russia?
(a) A few days.
(b) It should not exist
(c) A year.
(d) Four months.
5. What news does Nadya deliver to Lenin in the beginning of the play?
(a) The czar has abdicated.
(b) Trotsky has been exiled from Russia.
(c) The revolution has begun in St. Petersburg.
(d) She is pregnant.
6. What objects are inadvertently interposed int he beginning of the play?
(a) Two passports.
(b) Two hats.
(c) Two folders.
(d) Two books.
7. Which of the following Dada artists in not mentioned by mentioned by Carr in his monologue?
8. As what does Carr theorize that Tzara is trying to pass?
(a) An artist.
(b) A duke.
(c) A spy.
(d) An actor.
9. How does the style of dialogue change as the new characters enter in this section?
(a) Everyone speaks in limericks.
(b) Everyone speaks only with the word "dada".
(c) Everyone speaks in pantomime.
(d) Everyone speaks in French.
10. In what year does Carr recall he was acquainted with Joyce, Lenin, and Tzara?
11. According to Carr, what was always apparent in Joyce's personality?
(a) His shyness.
(b) His Irishness.
(c) His profligacy.
(d) His genius.
12. What did Tzara leave in Carr's drawing room on his last visit?
(a) His cigarette case.
(b) A bar tab.
(c) A French phrasebook.
(d) His library card.
13. In describing his trenches experience in this section, Carr says he ruined several what?
(a) First edition Trollopes.
(d) Pairs of trousers.
14. Which of the following characters does not enter at the beginning of this section?
15. To which "misfortune" does Carr refer in this section, regarding Tristan Tzara (14)?
(a) He has lost his wife.
(b) He is Romanian.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) He was wounded in the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bennett states that a social revolution has occurred in Russia, what activity does Carr assume this involves?
2. What is the profession of the man who has Lenin as a tenant, according to Carr?
3. Which character is unassisted at the beginning of Act 1?
4. Against what does Carr's historical winner bet sixpence?
5. By his own estimation, what makes Tzara an artist?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)