|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic of Lenin's new book?
(a) The free market.
(b) The Armenian genocide.
(c) The war.
2. According to Carr, what is the name of the street in Zurich on which both Lenin's lodging and Meierei bar were located?
3. According to Carr, what sensation is created by the many punctual clocks in Zurich?
4. Which character shushes the other characters onstage in the first scene of the play?
5. What does the British government request of Carr int his section?
(a) That he return to London.
(b) That he spy on Lenin.
(c) That he return to the front.
(d) That he allow Lenin passage out of Switzerland.
6. What decision by Russia's provincial government enrages the Soviets in this section?
(a) It gives amnesty to the czar and his family.
(b) It stays involved in the war.
(c) It arrests the Bolshevik leadership.
(d) It signs a nonaggression treaty with Serbia.
7. How many times does Joyce instruct Gwen to repeat his dictation in the text?
(b) 10 times.
(c) 5 times.
(d) 3 times.
8. In mistakenly recalling Lenin's appearance, what regional appearance does Carr say he bears?
(a) South America.
(c) The Orient.
9. What character from the play has left his card with Bennett?
10. Which character is unassisted at the beginning of Act 1?
11. Due to a clerical error on his birth certificate, what if James Joyce's legal middle name?
12. To which "misfortune" does Carr refer in this section, regarding Tristan Tzara (14)?
(a) He was wounded in the war.
(b) He has lost his wife.
(c) He is Romanian.
(d) He is an artist.
13. How does Tzara say Cecily is studying the great poets?
(b) In order of importance.
14. Which of the following Dada artists in not mentioned by mentioned by Carr in his monologue?
15. What precious stone is in Carr's preferred studs?
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing his trenches experience in this section, Carr says he ruined several what?
2. About what Swiss food does Carr state Rochefoucauld complained?
3. What is the only driving force of war, according to Tzara?
4. According to Marx's theories, what must the Marxist embrace temporarily in order to eventually have a proletarian state?
5. To what country's system of government does Bennett compare the anticipate Russian state at the end of his explanation of Marxist?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)