|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What article of clothing does Bannett mention specifically when describing Tzara to Carr?
(a) Top hat.
(d) Bow tie.
2. What name has Carr been given for Gwen's chaperon?
3. Whose dropped writings does Joyce pick up in the first scene of the play?
4. What sound effect does Stoppard recommend to accompany time slips in the play?
(a) A thunder clap.
(b) A cuckoo clock chime.
(c) A shattering of glass.
(d) A tuba blast.
5. What precious stone is in Carr's preferred studs?
6. The Zimmerwaldists believe the workers of the world need to oppose what?
(a) Capitalist exploitation.
(b) The Communists.
(d) The war.
7. To what country's system of government does Bennett compare the anticipate Russian state at the end of his explanation of Marxist?
8. Bennett, at the end of this section, says that the British believe the most important Russian leader is still whom?
(d) Czar Nicholas.
9. Which character is unassisted at the beginning of Act 1?
10. What did Tzara leave in Carr's drawing room on his last visit?
(a) His library card.
(b) A bar tab.
(c) His cigarette case.
(d) A French phrasebook.
11. According to Marx's theories, what must the Marxist embrace temporarily in order to eventually have a proletarian state?
(a) A dictatorship.
(b) A bourgeois revolution.
(c) Anarchic violence.
(d) The Germans.
12. According to Carr in this section, what activity was not encouraged or expressly forbidden in the British Consular Service?
(a) Culinary pursuits.
13. What decision by Russia's provincial government enrages the Soviets in this section?
(a) It arrests the Bolshevik leadership.
(b) It stays involved in the war.
(c) It gives amnesty to the czar and his family.
(d) It signs a nonaggression treaty with Serbia.
14. From what object is Tzara drawing slips of paper in the beginning of the play?
(a) A hat.
(b) His jacket.
(c) A folder.
(d) A cub.
15. Where is Joyce buried at the time thhat the Old Carr speaks in this section?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bennett think are the odds against Lenin prevailing in Russia?
2. Which of the following is not a term that Carr shouts at Tzara when he loses his temper in this section?
3. In what year was Lenin forced into exile from Russia?
4. Due to a clerical error on his birth certificate, what if James Joyce's legal middle name?
5. What objects are inadvertently interposed int he beginning of the play?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)