|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Nadya deliver to Lenin in the beginning of the play?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) The czar has abdicated.
(c) The revolution has begun in St. Petersburg.
(d) Trotsky has been exiled from Russia.
2. Where was Carr when he heard about the offset of the First World War?
(a) Saville Row.
3. In what year was Lenin forced into exile from Russia?
4. According to Tzara, what is out of fashion since the war?
5. To what symbol of nonviolence does Carr compare Switzerland in his monologue?
(a) A white flag.
(b) An olive branch.
(c) A plowshare.
(d) A dove.
6. According to the Bolsheviks, how long should the bourgeois-capitalist democracy last in Russia?
(a) It should not exist
(b) A few days.
(c) A year.
(d) Four months.
7. Which of the following Dada artists in not mentioned by mentioned by Carr in his monologue?
8. For what occasion is Carr dressing in this section?
(a) A diplomatic banquet.
(b) A date.
(c) The theatre.
(d) A wedding.
9. From what object is Tzara drawing slips of paper in the beginning of the play?
(a) His jacket.
(b) A hat.
(c) A cub.
(d) A folder.
10. According to Tzara, how do Communists like their art?
11. Which of the following facts does Carr announce is not open to correction at the end of his monologue?
(a) His name.
(b) His height.
(c) His politics.
(d) His prowess as a lover.
12. What article of clothing does Carr mention is the focus of the lawsuit between Joyce and him?
(a) A cravat.
(b) A hat.
(c) A wescot.
13. Upon what does Tzara announce defiantly that he spits?
(a) The classics.
(b) Joyce's novel.
14. In this section Carr comments that is entirely reasonable for the exploited classes of Russia to turn against whom?
(a) The government.
(b) Their servants.
(c) Their spouses.
15. According to Carr, what was always apparent in Joyce's personality?
(a) His shyness.
(b) His genius.
(c) His profligacy.
(d) His Irishness.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what purpose does Joyce say he needs money from Carr?
2. To what object does Carr liken the First World War as he describes Switzerland at the end of his monologue?
3. What two characters believe Tzara's first name is Jack?
4. When Bennett states that a social revolution has occurred in Russia, what activity does Carr assume this involves?
5. Whose dropped writings does Joyce pick up in the first scene of the play?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)