|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Carr when he heard about the offset of the First World War?
(a) Saville Row.
2. What two colors does Carr theorize that Joyce's smoking jacket might have been?
(a) Blue or purple.
(b) Gold or taupe.
(c) Maroon or pink.
(d) Brown or grey.
3. What two characters believe Tzara's first name is Jack?
(a) Cecily and Lenin.
(b) Carr and Bennet.
(c) Carr and Gwen.
(d) Joyce and Gwen.
4. Citing Karl Marx in this section, Bennett states that there is no way for a country to transition seamlessly from autocracy to what?
5. In this section, Carr and Tzara cannot decide between which two countries as to which they are defending?
(a) France and Germany.
(b) Belguim and Serbia.
(c) Serbia and France.
(d) Germany and Belgium.
6. What article of clothing does Bannett mention specifically when describing Tzara to Carr?
(c) Top hat.
(d) Bow tie.
7. In describing his trenches experience in this section, Carr says he ruined several what?
(c) First edition Trollopes.
(d) Pairs of trousers.
8. When Bennett states that a social revolution has occurred in Russia, what activity does Carr assume this involves?
(a) Women smoking.
(b) Soldiers protesting.
(c) Nuns copulating.
(d) Peasants reading.
9. What objects are inadvertently interposed int he beginning of the play?
(a) Two folders.
(b) Two hats.
(c) Two books.
(d) Two passports.
10. Due to a clerical error on his birth certificate, what if James Joyce's legal middle name?
11. Which character is unassisted at the beginning of Act 1?
12. What term for Germans is Carr unfamiliar with before entering the war?
13. The Zimmerwaldists believe the workers of the world need to oppose what?
(a) The war.
(b) The Communists.
(d) Capitalist exploitation.
14. According to Carr, what sensation is created by the many punctual clocks in Zurich?
15. How does the style of dialogue change as the new characters enter in this section?
(a) Everyone speaks in pantomime.
(b) Everyone speaks only with the word "dada".
(c) Everyone speaks in limericks.
(d) Everyone speaks in French.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the British government request of Carr int his section?
2. For what purpose does Joyce say he needs money from Carr?
3. Which of the following is not a term that Carr shouts at Tzara when he loses his temper in this section?
4. What news does Nadya deliver to Lenin in the beginning of the play?
5. Against what does Carr's historical winner bet sixpence?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)