|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose does Joyce say he needs money from Carr?
(a) To mount a play.
(b) To pay off a debt.
(c) To send his manuscript to Ireland.
(d) To afford a ring for Gwen.
2. At the beginning of this section, what does Carr tell Bennett is completely absent from Switzerland?
(b) News journals.
3. Whose dropped writings does Joyce pick up in the first scene of the play?
4. As what does Carr theorize that Tzara is trying to pass?
(a) An actor.
(b) An artist.
(c) A spy.
(d) A duke.
5. What is the profession of the man who has Lenin as a tenant, according to Carr?
(a) A mason.
(b) A banker.
(c) A musician.
(d) A cobbler.
6. Which of the following figures is not among the attendees Carr jokingly names for the Social Democrats for Civil War in Europe meeting?
(a) A police spy.
(c) Lenin's wife.
7. To what symbol of nonviolence does Carr compare Switzerland in his monologue?
(a) A white flag.
(b) A dove.
(c) A plowshare.
(d) An olive branch.
8. Which of the following characters does not enter at the beginning of this section?
9. In what country were Joyce and his wife when the war started?
10. How much money does Bennett say he'd bet on Lenin to succeed in Russia?
(a) 50 shillings.
(b) 1 pound.
(c) 5 pounds.
(d) 1 shilling.
11. Where was Carr when he heard about the offset of the First World War?
(d) Saville Row.
12. To what does Carr compare being an artist in his rebuttal to Tzara?
(c) Building cabinets.
13. What news does Nadya deliver to Lenin in the beginning of the play?
(a) The revolution has begun in St. Petersburg.
(b) The czar has abdicated.
(c) Trotsky has been exiled from Russia.
(d) She is pregnant.
14. What type of poem does Lenin declaim at the end of the first scene of the play?
(a) A limerick.
(b) A heroic verse.
(c) A haiku.
(d) A sonnet.
15. What precious stone is in Carr's preferred studs?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a term that Carr shouts at Tzara when he loses his temper in this section?
2. What character from the play has left his card with Bennett?
3. What does Joyce announce that he intends to do before leaving the room in this section?
4. What did Tzara leave in Carr's drawing room on his last visit?
5. Upon what does Tzara announce defiantly that he spits?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)