|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what does Tzara announce defiantly that he spits?
(b) Joyce's novel.
(c) The classics.
2. As what does Carr theorize that Tzara is trying to pass?
(a) An actor.
(b) An artist.
(c) A spy.
(d) A duke.
3. What two items are mentioned several times in this section as part of a time slip?
(a) Newspapers and telegrams.
(b) Ties and ascots.
(c) Fruits and cheeses.
(d) Cufflinks and studs.
4. What detail of the Russian Revolution is not mentioned by Bennett in this section?
(a) The murder of the royal family.
(b) The appropriation of the term Soviet.
(c) The abdication of the czar.
(d) The ascension of the Kerensky government.
5. Which of the following locations is not mentioned by Carr as he describes the horrors of the First World War?
6. What type of poem does Lenin declaim at the end of the first scene of the play?
(a) A sonnet.
(b) A heroic verse.
(c) A haiku.
(d) A limerick.
7. Which character is unassisted at the beginning of Act 1?
8. What two characters believe Tzara's first name is Jack?
(a) Carr and Gwen.
(b) Cecily and Lenin.
(c) Joyce and Gwen.
(d) Carr and Bennet.
9. What precious stone is in Carr's preferred studs?
10. From what object is Tzara drawing slips of paper in the beginning of the play?
(a) His jacket.
(b) A cub.
(c) A hat.
(d) A folder.
11. For what purpose does Joyce say he needs money from Carr?
(a) To afford a ring for Gwen.
(b) To mount a play.
(c) To send his manuscript to Ireland.
(d) To pay off a debt.
12. About what Swiss food does Carr state Rochefoucauld complained?
(a) Swiss cheese.
(b) Swiss chocolate.
(c) Swiss pastries.
(d) Swiss goat milk.
13. To what object does Carr liken the First World War as he describes Switzerland at the end of his monologue?
(a) A bull.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A scale.
(d) A wheel.
14. In what country were Joyce and his wife when the war started?
15. Where is Joyce buried at the time thhat the Old Carr speaks in this section?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joyce announce that he intends to do before leaving the room in this section?
2. What name has Carr been given for Gwen's chaperon?
3. What sound effect does Stoppard recommend to accompany time slips in the play?
4. Against what does Carr's historical winner bet sixpence?
5. Citing Karl Marx in this section, Bennett states that there is no way for a country to transition seamlessly from autocracy to what?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)