|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name has Carr been given for Gwen's chaperon?
2. Where is Joyce buried at the time thhat the Old Carr speaks in this section?
3. According to Carr, what was always apparent in Joyce's personality?
(a) His genius.
(b) His profligacy.
(c) His Irishness.
(d) His shyness.
4. Which of the following facts does Carr announce is not open to correction at the end of his monologue?
(a) His politics.
(b) His name.
(c) His prowess as a lover.
(d) His height.
5. For what occasion is Carr dressing in this section?
(a) The theatre.
(b) A date.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A diplomatic banquet.
6. Due to a clerical error on his birth certificate, what if James Joyce's legal middle name?
7. Where on his body was Carr wounded in the war?
(a) His leg.
(b) His hindquarters.
(c) His foot.
(d) His shoulder.
8. What is Carr's first name?
9. What sound effect does Stoppard recommend to accompany time slips in the play?
(a) A thunder clap.
(b) A shattering of glass.
(c) A tuba blast.
(d) A cuckoo clock chime.
10. Which of the following locations is not mentioned by Carr as he describes the horrors of the First World War?
11. What type of poem does Lenin declaim at the end of the first scene of the play?
(a) A heroic verse.
(b) A haiku.
(c) A limerick.
(d) A sonnet.
12. What does Bennett think are the odds against Lenin prevailing in Russia?
(a) 1,000 to 1.
(b) 1 million to 1.
(c) 10,000 to 1.
(d) 1 billion to 1.
13. What precious stone is in Carr's preferred studs?
14. What detail of the Russian Revolution is not mentioned by Bennett in this section?
(a) The murder of the royal family.
(b) The abdication of the czar.
(c) The appropriation of the term Soviet.
(d) The ascension of the Kerensky government.
15. Bennett, at the end of this section, says that the British believe the most important Russian leader is still whom?
(b) Czar Nicholas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Carr recall Lenin's eyes being?
2. According to Tzara, how do Communists like their art?
3. In this section Carr comments that is entirely reasonable for the exploited classes of Russia to turn against whom?
4. What character from the play has left his card with Bennett?
5. According to Tzara, what is out of fashion since the war?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)