|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which "misfortune" does Carr refer in this section, regarding Tristan Tzara (14)?
(a) He was wounded in the war.
(b) He is an artist.
(c) He has lost his wife.
(d) He is Romanian.
2. What sound effect does Stoppard recommend to accompany time slips in the play?
(a) A tuba blast.
(b) A shattering of glass.
(c) A thunder clap.
(d) A cuckoo clock chime.
3. About what Swiss food does Carr state Rochefoucauld complained?
(a) Swiss pastries.
(b) Swiss goat milk.
(c) Swiss cheese.
(d) Swiss chocolate.
4. From what object is Tzara drawing slips of paper in the beginning of the play?
(a) A cub.
(b) A folder.
(c) His jacket.
(d) A hat.
5. In mistakenly recalling Lenin's appearance, what regional appearance does Carr say he bears?
(b) The Orient.
(c) South America.
6. Upon what does Tzara announce defiantly that he spits?
(b) Joyce's novel.
(c) The classics.
7. According to Carr, what is the name of the street in Zurich on which both Lenin's lodging and Meierei bar were located?
8. What article of clothing does Bannett mention specifically when describing Tzara to Carr?
(a) Top hat.
(d) Bow tie.
9. What two items are mentioned several times in this section as part of a time slip?
(a) Ties and ascots.
(b) Fruits and cheeses.
(c) Newspapers and telegrams.
(d) Cufflinks and studs.
10. What art movement is born our of the Meierei Bar in Zurich?
(d) Abstract Expressionism.
11. In what year was Lenin forced into exile from Russia?
12. Citing Karl Marx in this section, Bennett states that there is no way for a country to transition seamlessly from autocracy to what?
13. What detail of the Russian Revolution is not mentioned by Bennett in this section?
(a) The appropriation of the term Soviet.
(b) The ascension of the Kerensky government.
(c) The abdication of the czar.
(d) The murder of the royal family.
14. To what object does Carr liken the First World War as he describes Switzerland at the end of his monologue?
(a) A bull.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A scale.
(d) A wheel.
15. By his own estimation, what makes Tzara an artist?
(a) He is innately creative.
(b) He creates beauty.
(c) He is Romanian.
(d) He says he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gwen in this section, what does Tzara do in addiction to writing poetry?
2. What decision by Russia's provincial government enrages the Soviets in this section?
3. When Bennett states that a social revolution has occurred in Russia, what activity does Carr assume this involves?
4. What color does Carr recall Lenin's eyes being?
5. According to the Bolsheviks, how long should the bourgeois-capitalist democracy last in Russia?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)