|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what symbol of nonviolence does Carr compare Switzerland in his monologue?
(a) A plowshare.
(b) An olive branch.
(c) A white flag.
(d) A dove.
2. To what object does Carr liken the First World War as he describes Switzerland at the end of his monologue?
(a) A bull.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A scale.
(d) A wheel.
3. What is the topic of Lenin's new book?
(a) The Armenian genocide.
(b) The free market.
(d) The war.
4. Citing Karl Marx in this section, Bennett states that there is no way for a country to transition seamlessly from autocracy to what?
5. Which character shushes the other characters onstage in the first scene of the play?
6. By his own estimation, what makes Tzara an artist?
(a) He is Romanian.
(b) He is innately creative.
(c) He creates beauty.
(d) He says he is.
7. According to Carr in this section, what activity was not encouraged or expressly forbidden in the British Consular Service?
(b) Culinary pursuits.
8. What art movement is born our of the Meierei Bar in Zurich?
(d) Abstract Expressionism.
9. What article of clothing does Carr mention is the focus of the lawsuit between Joyce and him?
(a) A wescot.
(b) A cravat.
(d) A hat.
10. How does the style of dialogue change as the new characters enter in this section?
(a) Everyone speaks in French.
(b) Everyone speaks in pantomime.
(c) Everyone speaks in limericks.
(d) Everyone speaks only with the word "dada".
11. In this section Carr comments that is entirely reasonable for the exploited classes of Russia to turn against whom?
(b) The government.
(c) Their servants.
(d) Their spouses.
12. What does Carr wish to match in choosing a red cravat?
(a) His cumberbund.
(b) The union jack.
(c) His carnation.
(d) His date's dress.
13. According to Tzara, how do Communists like their art?
14. What does Bennett think are the odds against Lenin prevailing in Russia?
(a) 1 billion to 1.
(b) 1,000 to 1.
(c) 1 million to 1.
(d) 10,000 to 1.
15. What is the profession of the man who has Lenin as a tenant, according to Carr?
(a) A mason.
(b) A musician.
(c) A banker.
(d) A cobbler.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on his body was Carr wounded in the war?
2. Which of the following figures is not among the attendees Carr jokingly names for the Social Democrats for Civil War in Europe meeting?
3. What type of poem does Lenin declaim at the end of the first scene of the play?
4. Whose dropped writings does Joyce pick up in the first scene of the play?
5. What decision by Russia's provincial government enrages the Soviets in this section?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)