|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Lenin forced into exile from Russia?
2. To what object does Carr liken the First World War as he describes Switzerland at the end of his monologue?
(a) A wheel.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A scale.
(d) A bull.
3. From what Irish town does Carr announce James Joyce did not hale?
4. What decision by Russia's provincial government enrages the Soviets in this section?
(a) It arrests the Bolshevik leadership.
(b) It stays involved in the war.
(c) It signs a nonaggression treaty with Serbia.
(d) It gives amnesty to the czar and his family.
5. What sound effect does Stoppard recommend to accompany time slips in the play?
(a) A shattering of glass.
(b) A thunder clap.
(c) A cuckoo clock chime.
(d) A tuba blast.
6. Which of the following facts does Carr announce is not open to correction at the end of his monologue?
(a) His prowess as a lover.
(b) His name.
(c) His politics.
(d) His height.
7. According to Carr, what sensation is created by the many punctual clocks in Zurich?
8. What is Carr's first name?
9. About what Swiss food does Carr state Rochefoucauld complained?
(a) Swiss cheese.
(b) Swiss pastries.
(c) Swiss goat milk.
(d) Swiss chocolate.
10. The Zimmerwaldists believe the workers of the world need to oppose what?
(a) The war.
(c) Capitalist exploitation.
(d) The Communists.
11. According to Carr, what was always apparent in Joyce's personality?
(a) His profligacy.
(b) His genius.
(c) His Irishness.
(d) His shyness.
12. What precious stone is in Carr's preferred studs?
13. What masterwork is Joyce in the process of write when he and Carr are acquainted?
(a) Finnegan's Wake.
(b) Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man.
(d) The Dubliners.
14. According to Carr in this section, what activity was not encouraged or expressly forbidden in the British Consular Service?
(c) Culinary pursuits.
15. Due to a clerical error on his birth certificate, what if James Joyce's legal middle name?
Short Answer Questions
1. To which "misfortune" does Carr refer in this section, regarding Tristan Tzara (14)?
2. When Bennett states that a social revolution has occurred in Russia, what activity does Carr assume this involves?
3. What "modish novelty" does Carr disapprove of in Bennett (14)?
4. Whose dropped writings does Joyce pick up in the first scene of the play?
5. Where is Joyce buried at the time thhat the Old Carr speaks in this section?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)