|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what two locations does the play take place?
(a) A train station and a room.
(b) A room and a library.
(c) A library and a theatre.
(d) A theatre and a train station.
2. In what year was Lenin forced into exile from Russia?
3. What art movement is born our of the Meierei Bar in Zurich?
(d) Abstract Expressionism.
4. How does Tzara say Cecily is studying the great poets?
(b) In order of importance.
5. In mistakenly recalling Lenin's appearance, what regional appearance does Carr say he bears?
(a) The Orient.
(b) South America.
6. What detail of the Russian Revolution is not mentioned by Bennett in this section?
(a) The abdication of the czar.
(b) The appropriation of the term Soviet.
(c) The murder of the royal family.
(d) The ascension of the Kerensky government.
7. What term for Germans is Carr unfamiliar with before entering the war?
8. What decision by Russia's provincial government enrages the Soviets in this section?
(a) It gives amnesty to the czar and his family.
(b) It arrests the Bolshevik leadership.
(c) It signs a nonaggression treaty with Serbia.
(d) It stays involved in the war.
9. By his own estimation, what makes Tzara an artist?
(a) He is innately creative.
(b) He creates beauty.
(c) He says he is.
(d) He is Romanian.
10. What did Tzara leave in Carr's drawing room on his last visit?
(a) His cigarette case.
(b) A French phrasebook.
(c) A bar tab.
(d) His library card.
11. What does Joyce announce that he intends to do before leaving the room in this section?
(a) Prepare for The Importance of Being Earnest.
(b) Meet Gwen.
(c) Take a leisurely walk.
(d) Work on Ulysses.
12. According to Carr in this section, what activity was not encouraged or expressly forbidden in the British Consular Service?
(b) Culinary pursuits.
13. What article of clothing does Carr mention is the focus of the lawsuit between Joyce and him?
(a) A cravat.
(c) A wescot.
(d) A hat.
14. According to Carr, what sensation is created by the many punctual clocks in Zurich?
15. What object does Tzara say man would be without art?
(a) A coffee-grinder.
(b) A grain silo.
(c) A thresher.
(d) A turnstile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only driving force of war, according to Tzara?
2. What two items are mentioned several times in this section as part of a time slip?
3. According to the Bolsheviks, how long should the bourgeois-capitalist democracy last in Russia?
4. In describing his trenches experience in this section, Carr says he ruined several what?
5. What is the profession of the man who has Lenin as a tenant, according to Carr?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)