|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Steinbeck head after Bismarck?
2. According to Steinbeck, what do people living in a bland world crave?
3. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving Chicago?
4. What does a friend want Steinbeck to bring back from his trip?
5. What does Steinbeck enjoy in Idaho?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Steinbeck perceive Seattle?
2. What does Steinbeck encounter in New Orleans that sickens him?
3. What dashes Steinbeck's hopes for a good visit with his family?
4. Why is the rock with the mica in it so important to Steinbeck?
5. Describe Lonesome Harry.
6. What lessons does Steinbeck learn about house trailers in 1960 that could also apply to 2009?
7. What does Steinbeck learn about truckers when he takes breaks at roadside rest stops?
8. What happens to Steinbeck in Minneapolis/St. Paul?
9. What does Steinbeck admire most about Texans?
10. Why does Steinbeck believe in what author Thomas Wolfe meant when he wrote, "You Can't Go Home Again?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lonesome Harry. How does Steinbeck know Lonesome Harry without ever having met the man? Is Steinbeck envious of Lonesome Harry? Or does he feel pity for him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Steinbeck's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Why do Steinbeck's friends caution him about being a celebrity on the road? Why is Steinbeck's answer so very "Steinbeck"? Explain the differences between being a celebrity today as opposed to 1960 when Steinbeck made this trip.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)