|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Steinbeck, Texas is not so much a place as a _________________________.
2. According to Steinbeck, what do people living in a bland world crave?
3. What does Steinbeck see beneath the bluster and brag of the Texans he knows?
4. Where does Steinbeck head after spending the night among the sequoias?
5. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Steinbeck diffuse a father and son fight when he rents a cabin one night?
2. How does Steinbeck justify his opinion that the river crossing at Bismarck is the true demarcation between east and west?
3. What is Steinbeck's intention for stopping at Sauk Centre, Minnesota?
4. What dashes Steinbeck's hopes for a good visit with his family?
5. What effect is the Cold War having on average Americans?
6. What happens to Steinbeck in Minneapolis/St. Paul?
7. How does Steinbeck perceive Seattle?
8. What does Steinbeck admire most about Texans?
9. What does Steinbeck encounter in New Orleans that sickens him?
10. Explain how the Badlands are a study in opposites.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Steinbeck thinks that people are basically nomads at heart. Do most people favor putting down roots or moving around? What are the benefits and drawbacks to both ways of life? Why does the development of the mobile home increase options for Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Steinbeck's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in this book.
Essay Topic 3
What lessons about bureaucracy does Steinbeck learn at the U.S.-Canadian border? What are Steinbeck's opinions about governments, their laws and the people they put in place to enforce them? How does Steinbeck separate his hate for governments from his love for countries?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)