|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Steinbeck read as he drinks coffee at a rest area?
2. What happens to delay Steinbeck's plans?
3. What is the traveler's second prerequisite for traveling?
4. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
5. What is unusual about the inn Steinbeck finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steinbeck's 13-year-old neighbor boy symbolize?
2. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
3. What angers Steinbeck about some neighboring boats anchored close to his just prior to the hurricane?
4. What are Steinbeck's musings on junk?
5. Explain how Steinbeck interjects humor into the book.
6. What happens to disrupt the launch of Steinbeck's trip?
7. How does Steinbeck respond to his friends' concerns about the dangers of road travel?
8. How does Steinbeck communicate in the book?
9. Why does Steinbeck decide not to take a human traveling companion?
10. What is Steinbeck's position on hunting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Steinbeck looks forward to a visit to his hometown. What happens during the visit with his family? With an old friend? Why does Steinbeck think he disappointed them? How did they disappoint him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What are Steinbeck's reasons for embarking on this journey? What does he hope to find that he did not see in a similar trip 25 years before? What is the unspoken private motivation of Steinbeck's vs. the reason he provides to everyone else?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Steinbeck's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in this book.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)