|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
2. What does Steinbeck stock up on at a country store?
3. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
4. What material is everything in the attached diner made of, including the waitress' apron?
5. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misgivings does Steinbeck experience as the day of his departure approaches?
2. Describe Deer Isle.
3. Explain how Steinbeck interjects humor into the book.
4. What does Steinbeck discover about the French Canadians in northern Maine?
5. What does Steinbeck's 13-year-old neighbor boy symbolize?
6. Describe Charley.
7. Describe Steinbeck's encounter with the young sailor.
8. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
9. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
10. Describe some of the things that Steinbeck packs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lonesome Harry. How does Steinbeck know Lonesome Harry without ever having met the man? Is Steinbeck envious of Lonesome Harry? Or does he feel pity for him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What lessons about bureaucracy does Steinbeck learn at the U.S.-Canadian border? What are Steinbeck's opinions about governments, their laws and the people they put in place to enforce them? How does Steinbeck separate his hate for governments from his love for countries?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Cold War in America. Why are Steinbeck and the people he meets so obsessed with it? How does Steinbeck come to terms with the Cold War in order to live his life with some sort of calm?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)