Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck hope to accomplish on the trip?
2. Where does Steinbeck re-anchor his boat?
3. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
4. What infuriates Steinbeck about a neighbor's boat anchoring prior to the storm?
5. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
2. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
3. What has Steinbeck noticed about America so far on his trip?
4. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
5. What does Steinbeck encounter in New Orleans that sickens him?
6. Why does Steinbeck fall in love with Montana?
7. What happens to Steinbeck in Minneapolis/St. Paul?
8. What effect is the Cold War having on average Americans?
9. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
10. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
Essay Topic 1
What are Steinbeck's reasons for embarking on this journey? What does he hope to find that he did not see in a similar trip 25 years before? What is the unspoken private motivation of Steinbeck's vs. the reason he provides to everyone else?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Steinbeck looks forward to a visit to his hometown. What happens during the visit with his family? With an old friend? Why does Steinbeck think he disappointed them? How did they disappoint him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region? What are the major differences Steinbeck finds as he travels from place to place?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)