Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck hope to accomplish on the trip?
2. Where does Steinbeck re-anchor his boat?
3. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
4. What infuriates Steinbeck about a neighbor's boat anchoring prior to the storm?
5. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
2. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
3. What has Steinbeck noticed about America so far on his trip?
4. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
5. What does Steinbeck encounter in New Orleans that sickens him?
6. Why does Steinbeck fall in love with Montana?
7. What happens to Steinbeck in Minneapolis/St. Paul?
8. What effect is the Cold War having on average Americans?
9. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
10. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
Essay Topic 1
Steinbeck is a master of crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Steinbeck was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lonesome Harry. How does Steinbeck know Lonesome Harry without ever having met the man? Is Steinbeck envious of Lonesome Harry? Or does he feel pity for him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Give some examples of humor in the book. Do you think Steinbeck appreciates slapstick humor or wit of a more sophisticated nature? Or both? Explain.
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)