|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
2. What does Steinbeck say about the journey he is about to take?
3. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
4. With what was the vehicle outfitted?
5. What does Steinbeck do when he breaks camp the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What angers Steinbeck about some neighboring boats anchored close to his just prior to the hurricane?
2. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the Canadian family as a gesture of good will?
3. Describe Steinbeck's encounter with the young sailor.
4. Describe Deer Isle.
5. What is so depressing about Steinbeck's stop in Bangor?
6. What happens to disrupt the launch of Steinbeck's trip?
7. What does Steinbeck discover about the French Canadians in northern Maine?
8. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking this trip?
9. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
10. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Steinbeck's friends caution him about being a celebrity on the road? Why is Steinbeck's answer so very "Steinbeck"? Explain the differences between being a celebrity today as opposed to 1960 when Steinbeck made this trip.
Essay Topic 2
What lessons about bureaucracy does Steinbeck learn at the U.S.-Canadian border? What are Steinbeck's opinions about governments, their laws and the people they put in place to enforce them? How does Steinbeck separate his hate for governments from his love for countries?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Steinbeck looks forward to a visit to his hometown. What happens during the visit with his family? With an old friend? Why does Steinbeck think he disappointed them? How did they disappoint him? Explain.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)