|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
2. In this book, Steinbeck's style is neither ______________ in nature nor completely ________________.
3. Why does Steinbeck essentially ignore his doctors' advice?
4. What is the first prerequisite for travelers?
5. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Steinbeck communicate in the book?
2. Explain how Steinbeck interjects humor into the book.
3. What does Steinbeck's 13-year-old neighbor boy symbolize?
4. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
5. What have older people always told Steinbeck?
6. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
7. Describe Deer Isle.
8. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
9. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
10. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Steinbeck's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in this book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Steinbeck thinks that people are basically nomads at heart. Do most people favor putting down roots or moving around? What are the benefits and drawbacks to both ways of life? Why does the development of the mobile home increase options for Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why one of Steinbeck's New York friends had asked Steinbeck to bring back any honest men Steinbeck found on his trip. What was the state of the economy, the government, etc. in America in 1960 that could have benefited from authentic, honest men? Do you think Steinbeck ever found anyone who would have qualified? Explain.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)