|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
2. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the family?
3. What does Steinbeck invite the Canadian family to do?
4. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
5. What happens to delay Steinbeck's plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John Steinbeck's view on the journey he is about to take?
2. What happens to disrupt the launch of Steinbeck's trip?
3. What is Steinbeck's position on hunting?
4. Why is Steinbeck conflicted as he leaves Texas and heads for Louisiana?
5. What is the irony of the situation Steinbeck encounters at the Canadian border?
6. What dashes Steinbeck's hopes for a good visit with his family?
7. Explain how Steinbeck interjects humor into the book.
8. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
9. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
10. Why is the rock with the mica in it so important to Steinbeck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Steinbeck looks forward to a visit to his hometown. What happens during the visit with his family? With an old friend? Why does Steinbeck think he disappointed them? How did they disappoint him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How is Steinbeck changed after a Sunday morning service in a small Vermont town? What impresses him about the experience? Does Steinbeck prefer fire and brimstone over vague, feel-good preaching? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Steinbeck's interest in writer, Sinclair Lewis. What are Steinbeck's feelings about the people in Lewis' hometown who rejected him for writing the book Main Street, but now elevate his prior citizenship after Lewis is dead? Can you tell Steinbeck's feelings about hypocrisy? Could that be part of the reason Steinbeck does not stop to see Lewis' birthplace even though he is close? Explain.
This section contains 1,596 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)