|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material is everything in the motel made of, with the exception of the bedding and curtains?
2. How is Steinbeck able to travel unnoticed?
3. What does Steinbeck pack that will never be used?
4. How old is Steinbeck at the time that he starts on his journey?
5. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Steinbeck's encounter with the young sailor.
2. What is ironic about Steinbeck being an American writer?
3. Explain how Steinbeck interjects humor into the book.
4. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
5. What is John Steinbeck's view on the journey he is about to take?
6. What is Steinbeck's position on hunting?
7. What angers Steinbeck about some neighboring boats anchored close to his just prior to the hurricane?
8. What does Steinbeck's 13-year-old neighbor boy symbolize?
9. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
10. Describe Deer Isle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give some examples of humor in the book. Do you think Steinbeck appreciates slapstick humor or wit of a more sophisticated nature? Or both? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why one of Steinbeck's New York friends had asked Steinbeck to bring back any honest men Steinbeck found on his trip. What was the state of the economy, the government, etc. in America in 1960 that could have benefited from authentic, honest men? Do you think Steinbeck ever found anyone who would have qualified? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Steinbeck is amazed by all the garbage dumps and junk yards he sees along the way. What would Steinbeck's perception be if he were to encounter the waste management system in America today? What would he say about the sheer volume of consumption and waste in America today? Would Steinbeck be a vocal recycling proponent?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)