|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
2. What does Steinbeck mean by a "blown-in-the-glass" bum?
3. What is the heritage of the Canadians?
4. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
5. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Steinbeck conflicted as he leaves Texas and heads for Louisiana?
2. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
3. What happens to Steinbeck in Minneapolis/St. Paul?
4. What is Steinbeck's position on hunting?
5. Explain the irony in the scene where Steinbeck and Charley explore a sequoia grove.
6. Why is the rock with the mica in it so important to Steinbeck?
7. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
8. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
9. Compare and contrast the old black man and the young black college student to whom Steinbeck gives a ride.
10. What effect is the Cold War having on average Americans?
Essay Topic 1
How is Steinbeck changed after a Sunday morning service in a small Vermont town? What impresses him about the experience? Does Steinbeck prefer fire and brimstone over vague, feel-good preaching? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Rocinante, the camper. Why did Steinbeck choose this name for his vehicle? Do you think Steinbeck envisioned himself to be a Don Quixote-like character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lonesome Harry. How does Steinbeck know Lonesome Harry without ever having met the man? Is Steinbeck envious of Lonesome Harry? Or does he feel pity for him? Explain.
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)