|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Steinbeck, _____________ is the greater part of recognition.
2. How does Steinbeck calm down after the storm?
3. Where does Steinbeck re-anchor his boat?
4. To what two cities does Steinbeck often fly?
5. Where was Charley trained?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
2. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
3. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the Canadian family as a gesture of good will?
4. Describe Deer Isle.
5. Why does Steinbeck decide not to take a human traveling companion?
6. How does Steinbeck communicate in the book?
7. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
8. Describe Charley.
9. What is so depressing about Steinbeck's stop in Bangor?
10. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Steinbeck thinks that people are basically nomads at heart. Do most people favor putting down roots or moving around? What are the benefits and drawbacks to both ways of life? Why does the development of the mobile home increase options for Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Rocinante, the camper. Why did Steinbeck choose this name for his vehicle? Do you think Steinbeck envisioned himself to be a Don Quixote-like character?
Essay Topic 3
What are Steinbeck's reasons for embarking on this journey? What does he hope to find that he did not see in a similar trip 25 years before? What is the unspoken private motivation of Steinbeck's vs. the reason he provides to everyone else?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)