Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck hope to accomplish on the trip?
2. Where does Steinbeck re-anchor his boat?
3. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
4. What infuriates Steinbeck about a neighbor's boat anchoring prior to the storm?
5. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
2. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
3. What has Steinbeck noticed about America so far on his trip?
4. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
5. What does Steinbeck encounter in New Orleans that sickens him?
6. Why does Steinbeck fall in love with Montana?
7. What happens to Steinbeck in Minneapolis/St. Paul?
8. What effect is the Cold War having on average Americans?
9. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
10. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Steinbeck push past the hesitancy he feels about making the trip? Why does he make the trip even though he will be leaving the comforts of home in place of desolation and loneliness? What is it about people like Steinbeck whose curiosity trumps comfort?
Essay Topic 2
What is Charley's role on the trip? Why does Steinbeck take a dog instead of a human on such an extended journey? What is the relationship between Steinbeck and Charley? Cite some examples that indicate the nature of their friendship.
Essay Topic 3
What lessons about bureaucracy does Steinbeck learn at the U.S.-Canadian border? What are Steinbeck's opinions about governments, their laws and the people they put in place to enforce them? How does Steinbeck separate his hate for governments from his love for countries?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)