|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the neighboring boats after Steinbeck cuts the rope holding them together?
2. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
3. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
4. What does Steinbeck do when he breaks camp the next morning?
5. What does Steinbeck mean by a "blown-in-the-glass" bum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Steinbeck's musings on junk?
2. What have older people always told Steinbeck?
3. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
4. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
5. What is ironic about Steinbeck being an American writer?
6. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
7. Why does Steinbeck decide not to take a human traveling companion?
8. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
9. What misgivings does Steinbeck experience as the day of his departure approaches?
10. Describe some of the things that Steinbeck packs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Steinbeck changed after a Sunday morning service in a small Vermont town? What impresses him about the experience? Does Steinbeck prefer fire and brimstone over vague, feel-good preaching? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Steinbeck looks forward to a visit to his hometown. What happens during the visit with his family? With an old friend? Why does Steinbeck think he disappointed them? How did they disappoint him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is Charley's role on the trip? Why does Steinbeck take a dog instead of a human on such an extended journey? What is the relationship between Steinbeck and Charley? Cite some examples that indicate the nature of their friendship.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)