|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Steinbeck live?
2. What is the subject about which Steinbeck is noted for writing?
3. Steinbeck writes, "We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; _______________________
4. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
5. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steinbeck discover about the French Canadians in northern Maine?
2. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
3. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
4. How does Steinbeck communicate in the book?
5. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
6. What happens to disrupt the launch of Steinbeck's trip?
7. How does Steinbeck respond to his friends' concerns about the dangers of road travel?
8. Describe Charley.
9. What is so depressing about Steinbeck's stop in Bangor?
10. What are Steinbeck's requirements for this state of journeying--or bumdom as he calls it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What lessons about bureaucracy does Steinbeck learn at the U.S.-Canadian border? What are Steinbeck's opinions about governments, their laws and the people they put in place to enforce them? How does Steinbeck separate his hate for governments from his love for countries?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Steinbeck's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Steinbeck thinks that people are basically nomads at heart. Do most people favor putting down roots or moving around? What are the benefits and drawbacks to both ways of life? Why does the development of the mobile home increase options for Americans?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)