|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck hope to accomplish on the trip?
2. Where does Steinbeck re-anchor his boat?
3. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
4. What infuriates Steinbeck about a neighbor's boat anchoring prior to the storm?
5. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
2. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
3. What has Steinbeck noticed about America so far on his trip?
4. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
5. What does Steinbeck encounter in New Orleans that sickens him?
6. Why does Steinbeck fall in love with Montana?
7. What happens to Steinbeck in Minneapolis/St. Paul?
8. What effect is the Cold War having on average Americans?
9. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
10. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Steinbeck's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in this book.
Essay Topic 2
What is Charley's role on the trip? Why does Steinbeck take a dog instead of a human on such an extended journey? What is the relationship between Steinbeck and Charley? Cite some examples that indicate the nature of their friendship.
Essay Topic 3
Envision the encounter between Steinbeck and the Shakespearean performer. How do you envision the performer to look? How does he behave? Based on Steinbeck's low-key, unassuming nature, do you think Steinbeck enjoys the theatrics of this man? Or is he annoyed by the overuse of drama? Explain.
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)