|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the sight of a nuclear submarine remind Steinbeck?
2. What does the answer to #80 remind Steinbeck of?
3. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
4. What book does Steinbeck read as he drinks coffee at a rest area?
5. Where does Steinbeck stay in a motel on his second night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the things that Steinbeck packs.
2. Describe New England voices.
3. Explain how Steinbeck interjects humor into the book.
4. What are Steinbeck's musings on junk?
5. Describe Charley.
6. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
7. What does Steinbeck discover about the French Canadians in northern Maine?
8. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
9. How does Steinbeck communicate in the book?
10. Describe Deer Isle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Charley's role on the trip? Why does Steinbeck take a dog instead of a human on such an extended journey? What is the relationship between Steinbeck and Charley? Cite some examples that indicate the nature of their friendship.
Essay Topic 2
Give some examples of humor in the book. Do you think Steinbeck appreciates slapstick humor or wit of a more sophisticated nature? Or both? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Steinbeck thinks that people are basically nomads at heart. Do most people favor putting down roots or moving around? What are the benefits and drawbacks to both ways of life? Why does the development of the mobile home increase options for Americans?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)