|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
2. What does Steinbeck pack that will never be used?
3. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
4. What do some of the migrant families use for shelter?
5. In what direction does Steinbeck head on his first day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
2. What is ironic about Steinbeck being an American writer?
3. What are Steinbeck's musings on junk?
4. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
5. Describe Deer Isle.
6. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
7. What happens to disrupt the launch of Steinbeck's trip?
8. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
9. What does Steinbeck discover about the French Canadians in northern Maine?
10. Describe Charley.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Envision the encounter between Steinbeck and the Shakespearean performer. How do you envision the performer to look? How does he behave? Based on Steinbeck's low-key, unassuming nature, do you think Steinbeck enjoys the theatrics of this man? Or is he annoyed by the overuse of drama? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Cold War in America. Why are Steinbeck and the people he meets so obsessed with it? How does Steinbeck come to terms with the Cold War in order to live his life with some sort of calm?
Essay Topic 3
How is Steinbeck changed after a Sunday morning service in a small Vermont town? What impresses him about the experience? Does Steinbeck prefer fire and brimstone over vague, feel-good preaching? Explain.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)