|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
2. What does Steinbeck do to Charley to protect him in the deer hunting region of inner Maine?
3. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
4. To what does Steinbeck compare the futility of trying to control a trip?
5. How does Steinbeck meet a Canadian family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
2. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking this trip?
3. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
4. How does Steinbeck respond to his friends' concerns about the dangers of road travel?
5. What misgivings does Steinbeck experience as the day of his departure approaches?
6. Describe Deer Isle.
7. What are Steinbeck's requirements for this state of journeying--or bumdom as he calls it?
8. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
9. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
10. What does Steinbeck's 13-year-old neighbor boy symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Steinbeck's friends caution him about being a celebrity on the road? Why is Steinbeck's answer so very "Steinbeck"? Explain the differences between being a celebrity today as opposed to 1960 when Steinbeck made this trip.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Steinbeck thinks that people are basically nomads at heart. Do most people favor putting down roots or moving around? What are the benefits and drawbacks to both ways of life? Why does the development of the mobile home increase options for Americans?
Essay Topic 3
What lessons about bureaucracy does Steinbeck learn at the U.S.-Canadian border? What are Steinbeck's opinions about governments, their laws and the people they put in place to enforce them? How does Steinbeck separate his hate for governments from his love for countries?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)