|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog does Charley encounter at the rest area?
2. What is unusual about the inn Steinbeck finds?
3. What material is everything in the attached diner made of, including the waitress' apron?
4. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
5. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking this trip?
2. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
3. What happens to disrupt the launch of Steinbeck's trip?
4. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
5. Describe Deer Isle.
6. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
7. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
8. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the Canadian family as a gesture of good will?
9. What does Steinbeck discover about the French Canadians in northern Maine?
10. How does Steinbeck respond to his friends' concerns about the dangers of road travel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Steinbeck changed after a Sunday morning service in a small Vermont town? What impresses him about the experience? Does Steinbeck prefer fire and brimstone over vague, feel-good preaching? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Envision the encounter between Steinbeck and the Shakespearean performer. How do you envision the performer to look? How does he behave? Based on Steinbeck's low-key, unassuming nature, do you think Steinbeck enjoys the theatrics of this man? Or is he annoyed by the overuse of drama? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What are Steinbeck's reasons for embarking on this journey? What does he hope to find that he did not see in a similar trip 25 years before? What is the unspoken private motivation of Steinbeck's vs. the reason he provides to everyone else?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)