|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Steinbeck stay in Texas three extra days?
(a) Steinbeck finds it hard to say goodbye to his wife.
(b) Charley needs veterinary care.
(c) The camper needs some engine work done.
(d) Steinbeck is tired of driving.
2. According to Steinbeck, what do people living in a bland world crave?
(a) Sex and violence in their fiction
(b) Science fiction books
(c) Travel magazines about foreign countries
(d) Restaurants serving spicy foods
3. In additional to regionalism, what has Steinbeck noticed about America so far during his trip?
(b) A bland oneness
(c) A spirit of giving
(d) Creative differences
4. What did Charley get at the hotel in Chicago?
(a) Play time with other dogs
(b) A professional poodle grooming
(c) Special dog treats
(d) A good night's sleep
5. What returns for Mrs. Steinbeck when she talks to a fellow Texan?
(a) Her manners
(b) Her temper
(c) Her Texas accent
(d) Her distrust
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Steinbeck shocked by Seattle?
2. What disrupts the family visit?
3. Whose birthplace is Steinbeck anxious to visit?
4. In what city in North Dakota does Steinbeck stop?
5. What does the park ranger warn Steinbeck about as he enters the answer to #130?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect is the Cold War having on average Americans?
2. What does Steinbeck admire most about Texans?
3. How does Steinbeck justify his opinion that the river crossing at Bismarck is the true demarcation between east and west?
4. What philosophical thoughts does Steinbeck have when he passes into Idaho?
5. Why is the rock with the mica in it so important to Steinbeck?
6. What has Steinbeck learned about America so far?
7. Explain the irony in the scene where Steinbeck and Charley explore a sequoia grove.
8. Why is Steinbeck conflicted as he leaves Texas and heads for Louisiana?
9. Why does Steinbeck believe in what author Thomas Wolfe meant when he wrote, "You Can't Go Home Again?"
10. Why does Steinbeck fall in love with Montana?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)