|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what vehicle did Steinbeck travel on this trip?
(a) An old school bus
(b) An old pickup truck
(c) An old VW van
(d) An old bakery truck
2. Where does Steinbeck stay in a motel on his second night?
3. What does Steinbeck invite the Canadian family to do?
(a) Play cards
(b) Sing around a campfire
(c) Have dinner with him
(d) View the inside of his camper
4. What does Steinbeck say about the journey he is about to take?
(a) It is something that he is dreading.
(b) It is a very daunting proposition.
(c) It is the trip of a lifetime.
(d) It is much the same as all journeys that anyone takes.
5. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
(a) An adequate writer
(b) A sophisticated writer
(c) An American writer
(d) A simple storyteller
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
2. How do New Englanders talk?
3. What does Steinbeck stock up on at a country store?
4. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
5. In what direction does Steinbeck head on his first day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
2. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
3. Describe Charley.
4. Describe Deer Isle.
5. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
6. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
7. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
8. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
9. What is Steinbeck's position on hunting?
10. What have older people always told Steinbeck?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)