|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
(a) The urge to be an athlete.
(b) The urge to be an artist.
(c) The urge to be someone else.
(d) The urge to be somewhere else.
2. According to Steinbeck, every journey has its own __________________.
3. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
(a) Wealth and prosperity
(b) Many changes
(c) A sense of pride
(d) Overwhelming sadness
4. What happens to delay Steinbeck's plans?
(a) A blizzard hits New York.
(b) The camper's tires go flat.
(c) Hurricane Donna hits.
(d) His wife needs emergency surgery.
5. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the family?
(d) Rare cognac
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the genre of this book?
2. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
3. What have the doctors advised Steinbeck to do?
4. How do New Englanders talk?
5. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the Canadian family as a gesture of good will?
2. What happens to disrupt the launch of Steinbeck's trip?
3. What does Steinbeck's 13-year-old neighbor boy symbolize?
4. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
5. What does Steinbeck discover about the French Canadians in northern Maine?
6. What have older people always told Steinbeck?
7. What misgivings does Steinbeck experience as the day of his departure approaches?
8. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
9. What is Steinbeck's position on hunting?
10. Describe Deer Isle.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)