|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of dog is Charley?
(c) Jack Russell Terrier
(d) German Shephard
2. What is the genre of this book?
(c) Travel memoir
3. What does Steinbeck think the waitress is capable of doing?
(a) Being a gymnast
(b) Becoming a pastry chef
(c) Singing in an all girls' band
(d) Sucking all the joy from life within her range
4. Of what does the sight of a nuclear submarine remind Steinbeck?
(a) His days in the navy
(b) A story he once wrote
(c) The Cold War
(d) His fear of enclosed places
5. What does Steinbeck buy at roadside markets?
(b) Fresh pies
(c) Fresh vegetables
(d) Apples and hard apple cider
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's destination on the next day?
2. According to Steinbeck, every journey has its own __________________.
3. What does Steinbeck see when he takes Charley for a walk?
4. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
5. What material is everything in the attached diner made of, including the waitress' apron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
2. Why does Steinbeck decide not to take a human traveling companion?
3. What happens to disrupt the launch of Steinbeck's trip?
4. What angers Steinbeck about some neighboring boats anchored close to his just prior to the hurricane?
5. How does Steinbeck respond to his friends' concerns about the dangers of road travel?
6. Describe some of the things that Steinbeck packs.
7. What does Steinbeck discover about the French Canadians in northern Maine?
8. What is ironic about Steinbeck being an American writer?
9. What have older people always told Steinbeck?
10. What does Steinbeck's 13-year-old neighbor boy symbolize?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)