|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have people always told Steinbeck about his wanderlust?
(a) He will grow out of it.
(b) He needs to indulge it.
(c) He is crazy to even think about it.
(d) Everybody has it to some degree.
2. What is the final prerequisite for travelers?
(a) Confirm hotel reservations
(b) Decide upon directions and destinations
(c) Purchase traveler's checks
(d) Get the car serviced
3. What is unusual about the inn Steinbeck finds?
(a) It is not open on weekends.
(b) It is not in any guidebook.
(c) It has valet parking
(d) Its neon sign flashes that it is open and has vacancies but no one is there.
4. What does Steinbeck stock up on at a country store?
(a) Salty snacks
(b) Liquor and beer
(c) Cookies and cupcakes
(d) Cold cuts
5. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck learn about all the writing materials he packs?
2. What does Steinbeck call this state of journeying?
3. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
4. What is the name of Steinbeck's boat?
5. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the things that Steinbeck packs.
2. What is ironic about Steinbeck being an American writer?
3. What is John Steinbeck's view on the journey he is about to take?
4. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
5. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
6. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
7. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
8. Describe Deer Isle.
9. How does Steinbeck communicate in the book?
10. Why does Steinbeck decide not to take a human traveling companion?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)