|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years ago did Steinbeck travel the United States?
2. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
(a) The clothes you have to wear
(b) It gets too cold
(c) The taste of wild game
(d) Cleaning your gun
3. What does Steinbeck see when he takes Charley for a walk?
(a) Two lovers in a car
(b) A Little League baseball game
(c) The Aurora Borealis
(d) A fire at a gas station
4. What does Steinbeck think about as he packs the camper?
(a) Whether his wife will be mad at him
(b) Whether he will be back in time for Christmas
(c) The strong desire in everyone to do what he is about to do
(d) What kind of weather he will encounter
5. What have people always told Steinbeck about his wanderlust?
(a) He is crazy to even think about it.
(b) Everybody has it to some degree.
(c) He will grow out of it.
(d) He needs to indulge it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Steinbeck's travel to these cities?
2. What is the heritage of the Canadians?
3. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
4. Of what does the sight of a nuclear submarine remind Steinbeck?
5. What is the subject about which Steinbeck is noted for writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's position on hunting?
2. Describe Steinbeck's encounter with the young sailor.
3. What misgivings does Steinbeck experience as the day of his departure approaches?
4. What is ironic about Steinbeck being an American writer?
5. What are Steinbeck's musings on junk?
6. Describe Deer Isle.
7. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
8. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
9. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the Canadian family as a gesture of good will?
10. What is so depressing about Steinbeck's stop in Bangor?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)