|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
(a) They mumble their words.
(b) They are too nasal.
(c) They are very clipped.
(d) They talk too fast.
2. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
(a) Fresh eggs
(b) Smoked ham
(c) Dog food
(d) Cured bacon
3. What kind of dog is Charley?
(c) German Shephard
(d) Jack Russell Terrier
4. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
(a) He refinishes the interior.
(b) He steers it out of the bay.
(c) He sends out S.O.S. messages.
(d) He hoists up the anchors.
5. What does Steinbeck stock up on at a country store?
(a) Cold cuts
(b) Salty snacks
(c) Liquor and beer
(d) Cookies and cupcakes
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steinbeck meet a Canadian family?
2. What does Steinbeck think about as he packs the camper?
3. To what two cities does Steinbeck often fly?
4. When does Steinbeck plan to set off on his journey?
5. Steinbeck writes, "We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; _______________________
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Steinbeck's requirements for this state of journeying--or bumdom as he calls it?
2. How does Steinbeck communicate in the book?
3. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
4. Describe Charley.
5. Describe New England voices.
6. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
7. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
8. What have older people always told Steinbeck?
9. Explain how Steinbeck interjects humor into the book.
10. What angers Steinbeck about some neighboring boats anchored close to his just prior to the hurricane?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)