|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Steinbeck go to church on his last morning in New England?
(d) New Hampshire
2. What is the tone of this book?
3. What does Steinbeck call this state of journeying?
4. What is the heritage of the Canadians?
5. What does Steinbeck do to Charley to protect him in the deer hunting region of inner Maine?
(a) Puts a bell around his neck
(b) Ties red tissue paper around his tail
(c) Boards him in a kennel
(d) Makes him stay in the camper
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Steinbeck's boat?
2. How old is Steinbeck at the time that he starts on his journey?
3. What does the answer to #80 remind Steinbeck of?
4. What does Steinbeck buy at roadside markets?
5. What happens to delay Steinbeck's plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the old black man and the young black college student to whom Steinbeck gives a ride.
2. What does Steinbeck's 13-year-old neighbor boy symbolize?
3. What two national attractions does Steinbeck visit before leaving Montana?
4. What has Steinbeck learned about America so far?
5. What is the irony of the situation Steinbeck encounters at the Canadian border?
6. Why is Steinbeck conflicted as he leaves Texas and heads for Louisiana?
7. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
8. What does Steinbeck admire most about Texans?
9. What are Steinbeck's requirements for this state of journeying--or bumdom as he calls it?
10. How does Steinbeck perceive Seattle?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)