Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck hope to accomplish on the trip?
(a) Reacquaint himself with America's people and countryside
(b) Beat the coast-to-coast record
(c) Chart the gas mileage for his vehicle
(d) Find a new place to live
2. Where does Steinbeck re-anchor his boat?
(a) At a new marina
(b) At the next pier
(c) A hundred yards into the bay
(d) Closer to the coastline
3. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
4. What infuriates Steinbeck about a neighbor's boat anchoring prior to the storm?
(a) They have used his anchor without preparation.
(b) They anchor too far away from shore.
(c) Their amateurish preparation endangers his boat.
(d) They don't use any anchor.
5. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
(a) Cured bacon
(b) Dog food
(c) Fresh eggs
(d) Smoked ham
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
2. Where does Steinbeck go to church on his last morning in New England?
3. In this book, Steinbeck's style is neither ______________ in nature nor completely ________________.
4. Of what is Steinbeck an avid collector?
5. When does Steinbeck plan to set off on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
2. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
3. What has Steinbeck noticed about America so far on his trip?
4. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
5. What does Steinbeck encounter in New Orleans that sickens him?
6. Why does Steinbeck fall in love with Montana?
7. What happens to Steinbeck in Minneapolis/St. Paul?
8. What effect is the Cold War having on average Americans?
9. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
10. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)