|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The same person going over the same route twice experiences _______________________________.
(a) jet lag
(b) frequent flyer miles
(c) two distinctly different journeys
(d) deja vu
2. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
(a) They are too nasal.
(b) They mumble their words.
(c) They are very clipped.
(d) They talk too fast.
3. What happens to the neighboring boats after Steinbeck cuts the rope holding them together?
(a) They crash into Steinbeck's boat.
(b) They blow onto a mud bank.
(c) They capsize.
(d) They blow out to sea.
4. What does Steinbeck think as the date for his departure approaches?
(a) He should reconsider his itinerary.
(b) He might consider taking a companion.
(c) Something will happen to delay or cancel the trip.
(d) He does not have enough film.
5. What does Steinbeck do to Charley to protect him in the deer hunting region of inner Maine?
(a) Puts a bell around his neck
(b) Ties red tissue paper around his tail
(c) Boards him in a kennel
(d) Makes him stay in the camper
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
2. Where does Steinbeck park his camper on his first night?
3. What does Steinbeck mean by a "blown-in-the-glass" bum?
4. Who wants to accompany Steinbeck on the trip?
5. What is Steinbeck's destination on the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Steinbeck's musings on junk?
2. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
3. What is Steinbeck's position on hunting?
4. What is so depressing about Steinbeck's stop in Bangor?
5. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
6. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
7. What misgivings does Steinbeck experience as the day of his departure approaches?
8. Describe New England voices.
9. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
10. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)