|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
(a) They mumble their words.
(b) They talk too fast.
(c) They are too nasal.
(d) They are very clipped.
2. What does Steinbeck do when he breaks camp the next morning?
(a) Takes Charley for a run
(b) Throws water on his campfire
(c) Leaves a bottle for a keepsake for the Canadian family
(d) Writes a few postcards
3. What is wrong with Steinbeck's travel to these cities?
(a) It is not the great expanse of the entire United States.
(b) It takes too much time out of his schedule.
(c) It is getting more and more expensive to make the trips.
(d) It is a boring routine.
4. What does Steinbeck think as the date for his departure approaches?
(a) He should reconsider his itinerary.
(b) He might consider taking a companion.
(c) He does not have enough film.
(d) Something will happen to delay or cancel the trip.
5. What happens to delay Steinbeck's plans?
(a) Hurricane Donna hits.
(b) The camper's tires go flat.
(c) A blizzard hits New York.
(d) His wife needs emergency surgery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog is Charley?
2. What does Steinbeck invite the Canadian family to do?
3. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
4. What is Steinbeck's destination on the next day?
5. What happens when the eye of the storm passes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misgivings does Steinbeck experience as the day of his departure approaches?
2. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
3. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking this trip?
4. What is so depressing about Steinbeck's stop in Bangor?
5. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the Canadian family as a gesture of good will?
6. Why does Steinbeck decide not to take a human traveling companion?
7. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
8. Describe Charley.
9. How does Steinbeck respond to his friends' concerns about the dangers of road travel?
10. Describe Deer Isle.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)