|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of dog does Charley encounter at the rest area?
(d) Jack Russell Terrier
2. Where has Steinbeck's friend made a reservation for him?
(b) Mt. Killington
(c) Niagara Falls
(d) Deer Isle
3. What do Steinbeck's friends warn him about regarding this trip?
(a) That he will not have the perseverance to complete it.
(b) That he will get bored very quickly.
(c) That he will not be able to travel incognito.
(d) That he will realize that his life at home was preferable.
4. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
(a) Cleaning your gun
(b) The clothes you have to wear
(c) The taste of wild game
(d) It gets too cold
5. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
(a) They mumble their words.
(b) They are too nasal.
(c) They talk too fast.
(d) They are very clipped.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
2. What does Steinbeck think old age will do?
3. What is the tone of this book?
4. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking the trip?
5. What does Steinbeck call this state of journeying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Deer Isle.
2. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
3. What is so depressing about Steinbeck's stop in Bangor?
4. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
5. Explain how Steinbeck interjects humor into the book.
6. Describe Charley.
7. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking this trip?
8. How does Steinbeck respond to his friends' concerns about the dangers of road travel?
9. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
10. What are Steinbeck's requirements for this state of journeying--or bumdom as he calls it?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)