|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charley let Steinbeck know he wants something?
(a) He makes a sound through his teeth.
(b) He runs in circles.
(c) He howls.
(d) He barks five times.
2. What is the tone of this book?
3. What is the first prerequisite for travelers?
(a) Good walking shoes
(b) A passport
(c) A reason for traveling
(d) Luggage on wheels
4. What kind of dog is Charley?
(b) German Shephard
(c) Jack Russell Terrier
5. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
(a) An American writer
(b) A sophisticated writer
(c) An adequate writer
(d) A simple storyteller
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to accompany Steinbeck on the trip?
2. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
3. What is the subject about which Steinbeck is noted for writing?
4. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
5. How many years ago did Steinbeck travel the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dashes Steinbeck's hopes for a good visit with his family?
2. What does Steinbeck learn about truckers when he takes breaks at roadside rest stops?
3. What two national attractions does Steinbeck visit before leaving Montana?
4. What philosophical thoughts does Steinbeck have when he passes into Idaho?
5. What are Steinbeck's musings on junk?
6. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
7. Describe New England voices.
8. Compare and contrast the old black man and the young black college student to whom Steinbeck gives a ride.
9. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
10. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)