|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Steinbeck live?
(b) New York
2. What damages do Fayre Eleyne and Rocinante sustain?
(a) Broken windows
(b) Motor damage
(c) Major body damage
(d) Just a few light scratches
3. What happens to delay Steinbeck's plans?
(a) Hurricane Donna hits.
(b) The camper's tires go flat.
(c) A blizzard hits New York.
(d) His wife needs emergency surgery.
4. What is the unspoken motivation for Steinbeck's decision to make the trip?
(a) He is growing older and may not get another chance.
(b) He needs some time alone to think.
(c) He made a bet with himself to do it by his 60th birthday.
(d) He wants to surprise his college roommate.
5. How does Steinbeck meet a Canadian family?
(a) They meet at a diner.
(b) He follows Charley to the family's camp.
(c) He is in the motel room next to theirs.
(d) His camper is parked next to theirs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Steinbeck re-anchor his boat?
2. How does Steinbeck calm down after the storm?
3. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
4. What does Steinbeck call this state of journeying?
5. In what direction does Steinbeck head on his first day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Steinbeck respond to his friends' concerns about the dangers of road travel?
2. What misgivings does Steinbeck experience as the day of his departure approaches?
3. What have older people always told Steinbeck?
4. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking this trip?
5. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the Canadian family as a gesture of good will?
6. How does Steinbeck communicate in the book?
7. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
8. Describe Steinbeck's encounter with the young sailor.
9. Why does Steinbeck ignore his doctors' advice following an illness the previous year?
10. What is ironic about Steinbeck being an American writer?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)