|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
(a) An adequate writer
(b) A simple storyteller
(c) An American writer
(d) A sophisticated writer
2. When does Steinbeck plan to set off on his journey?
(a) The day after Christmas
(b) The day after New Year's
(c) The day after the Fourth of July
(d) The day after Labor Day
3. Steinbeck writes, "We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; _______________________
(a) a trip takes us."
(b) we take a journey."
(c) we define destinies."
(d) we enter into a new dimension."
4. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
(a) It gets too cold
(b) The clothes you have to wear
(c) The taste of wild game
(d) Cleaning your gun
5. Of what does the sight of a nuclear submarine remind Steinbeck?
(a) His fear of enclosed places
(b) A story he once wrote
(c) The Cold War
(d) His days in the navy
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Steinbeck live?
2. What does Steinbeck mean by a "blown-in-the-glass" bum?
3. What is the genre of this book?
4. The same person going over the same route twice experiences _______________________________.
5. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
2. Describe Steinbeck's encounter with the young sailor.
3. Describe Deer Isle.
4. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
5. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
6. What misgivings does Steinbeck experience as the day of his departure approaches?
7. What are Steinbeck's musings on junk?
8. Describe Charley.
9. How does Steinbeck respond to his friends' concerns about the dangers of road travel?
10. What is John Steinbeck's view on the journey he is about to take?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)