|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
(a) A trick horn
(b) A siren
(c) Flashing lights
(d) A loudspeaker
2. How do New Englanders talk?
(a) In single words or short phrases
(b) In long, drawn out sentences
(c) In rambling speech patterns
(d) They answer questions with questions
3. What is the subject about which Steinbeck is noted for writing?
4. What does Steinbeck name his camper?
5. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
(a) The roof is blown away.
(b) The wind forces in a window.
(c) It is completely demolished.
(d) A tree crashes onto the roof.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
2. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
3. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
4. Who wants to accompany Steinbeck on the trip?
5. What is the genre of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Steinbeck communicate in the book?
2. Explain the irony in the scene in which Steinbeck discusses politics with the egg farmer.
3. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
4. What are Steinbeck's requirements for this state of journeying--or bumdom as he calls it?
5. Describe some of the things that Steinbeck packs.
6. What is Steinbeck's explanation for the junk yards and garbage dumps surrounding the small towns and villages through which he passes?
7. Why does Steinbeck decide not to take a human traveling companion?
8. Describe Deer Isle.
9. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking this trip?
10. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)