|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Steinbeck essentially ignore his doctors' advice?
(a) He wants a second opinion.
(b) He wants quality in his life, not necessarily quantity of years.
(c) They have been wrong before.
(d) He thinks he knows better than the doctors.
2. What does Steinbeck invite the Canadian family to do?
(a) Have dinner with him
(b) View the inside of his camper
(c) Play cards
(d) Sing around a campfire
3. What does Steinbeck see when he takes Charley for a walk?
(a) A Little League baseball game
(b) Two lovers in a car
(c) A fire at a gas station
(d) The Aurora Borealis
4. Where does Steinbeck stay in a motel on his second night?
5. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck think as the date for his departure approaches?
2. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
3. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
4. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
5. What have the doctors advised Steinbeck to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's position on hunting?
2. What does Steinbeck discover about the French Canadians in northern Maine?
3. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
4. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
5. How does Steinbeck respond to his friends' concerns about the dangers of road travel?
6. Why does Steinbeck decide not to take a human traveling companion?
7. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
8. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
9. Describe some of the things that Steinbeck packs.
10. Describe Charley.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)