|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Steinbeck's friend made a reservation for him?
(a) Deer Isle
(b) Niagara Falls
(c) Mt. Killington
2. What does Steinbeck do to Charley to protect him in the deer hunting region of inner Maine?
(a) Makes him stay in the camper
(b) Boards him in a kennel
(c) Puts a bell around his neck
(d) Ties red tissue paper around his tail
3. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
(c) antique shops
(d) bowling alleys
4. How do New Englanders talk?
(a) They answer questions with questions
(b) In rambling speech patterns
(c) In single words or short phrases
(d) In long, drawn out sentences
5. What does Steinbeck think of the hunters?
(a) They are the real men in this country.
(b) They are the best guys you'll ever meet.
(c) They will shoot at anything that moves.
(d) They stay out too long.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have people always told Steinbeck about his wanderlust?
2. What does Steinbeck buy at roadside markets?
3. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
4. What happens to the neighboring boats after Steinbeck cuts the rope holding them together?
5. Steinbeck writes, "We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; _______________________
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking this trip?
2. How does Steinbeck communicate in the book?
3. Explain how Steinbeck interjects humor into the book.
4. What angers Steinbeck about some neighboring boats anchored close to his just prior to the hurricane?
5. Describe Charley.
6. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
7. Describe Deer Isle.
8. What are Steinbeck's musings on junk?
9. What happens to disrupt the launch of Steinbeck's trip?
10. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the Canadian family as a gesture of good will?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)