|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck hope to accomplish on the trip?
(a) Chart the gas mileage for his vehicle
(b) Reacquaint himself with America's people and countryside
(c) Find a new place to live
(d) Beat the coast-to-coast record
2. What does Steinbeck think of the hunters?
(a) They are the real men in this country.
(b) They stay out too long.
(c) They will shoot at anything that moves.
(d) They are the best guys you'll ever meet.
3. Who are the only ones who will understand the inability to control a trip?
(a) Those who sell travel packages
(b) Those who plan trips for a business
(c) Those who work as tour guides
(d) Those who know about the nature of journeys
4. Why does Mrs. Steinbeck shout at Steinbeck?
(a) He cannot hear her over the sound of the wind.
(b) She is frustrated by his lack of attention.
(c) He heads out into the storm to tend to his boat.
(d) He has been knocked unconscious.
5. What does Steinbeck see when he takes Charley for a walk?
(a) Two lovers in a car
(b) A Little League baseball game
(c) A fire at a gas station
(d) The Aurora Borealis
Short Answer Questions
1. The same person going over the same route twice experiences _______________________________.
2. With what was the vehicle outfitted?
3. How many years ago did Steinbeck travel the United States?
4. Who wants to accompany Steinbeck on the trip?
5. To what two cities does Steinbeck often fly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
2. What have older people always told Steinbeck?
3. What happens to disrupt the launch of Steinbeck's trip?
4. What does Steinbeck encounter that particularly unnerves him?
5. What is ironic about Steinbeck being an American writer?
6. What is so depressing about Steinbeck's stop in Bangor?
7. What are Steinbeck's musings on junk?
8. What is Steinbeck's start date for his trip?
9. What misgivings does Steinbeck experience as the day of his departure approaches?
10. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the Canadian family as a gesture of good will?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)