|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of dog does Charley encounter at the rest area?
(d) Jack Russell Terrier
2. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
(a) The wind forces in a window.
(b) The roof is blown away.
(c) A tree crashes onto the roof.
(d) It is completely demolished.
3. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
(a) They talk too fast.
(b) They are very clipped.
(c) They mumble their words.
(d) They are too nasal.
4. How does Steinbeck calm down after the storm?
(a) He plays golf.
(b) He drinks a big glass of whiskey.
(c) He takes a nap.
(d) He takes a hot shower.
5. In this book, Steinbeck's style is neither ______________ in nature nor completely ________________.
(a) entertaining, boring
(b) crafty, entertaining
(c) journalistic, poetic
(d) informative, ascetic
Short Answer Questions
1. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
2. Where does Steinbeck live?
3. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
4. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
5. What is the unspoken motivation for Steinbeck's decision to make the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Steinbeck decide not to take a human traveling companion?
2. What dashes Steinbeck's hopes for a good visit with his family?
3. Describe Charley.
4. Describe New England voices.
5. What does Steinbeck discover about the French Canadians in northern Maine?
6. Why are Steinbeck's friends concerned for his safety on the road?
7. What causes Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, to shout at him?
8. What does Steinbeck think about the personality of each journey?
9. Explain how Steinbeck interjects humor into the book.
10. What angers Steinbeck about some neighboring boats anchored close to his just prior to the hurricane?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)