|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
(a) Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
(b) The Grand Canyon
(c) Yellowstone National Park
(d) Yosemite National Park
2. What impresses Steinbeck with its strange rock formations?
(a) The Grand Canyon
(b) The Wisconsin Dells
(d) Mount Rushmore
3. What threatens Steinbeck's stay at the Maple River?
(a) A tornado
(b) The possibility of snow
(c) Gang wars
(d) Below-zero temperatures
4. Why does Steinbeck stay in Texas three extra days?
(a) Charley needs veterinary care.
(b) Steinbeck finds it hard to say goodbye to his wife.
(c) Steinbeck is tired of driving.
(d) The camper needs some engine work done.
5. Where does Steinbeck go for a family visit?
(a) His cousin's house
(b) His sister's house
(c) His uncle's house
(d) His brother's house
6. What does Steinbeck exclude from the novel?
(a) The notes he makes on a tape recorder
(b) The notes he makes in a journal
(c) Phone calls he places to his family
(d) The Chicago reunion with his wife
7. What does a friend want Steinbeck to bring back from his trip?
(a) Beer from all the states he visits
(b) Any honest men
(c) Tumbleweed from the desert
(d) Rocks from the mountains
8. What quality do the people of #126 have that is so appealing to Steinbeck?
(a) They are stubborn.
(b) They talk easily.
(c) They don't talk much.
(d) They are easygoing.
9. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving California?
(a) The Rocky Mountains
(b) The Tetons
(c) The Mojave Desert
(d) The Grand Canyon
10. What is Steinbeck's next destination?
11. What does Steinbeck admire most about Texans?
(a) Their energy
(b) Their hospitality
(c) Their land
(d) Their money
12. What beauty does Steinbeck see at sunset?
(a) Gleaming water on the river
(b) The colors of the rock layers
(c) Purple and pink rays of light
(d) Sparkling snowflakes
13. To Steinbeck, Texas is not so much a place as a _________________________.
(a) state of mind
14. What starts to slow Steinbeck's progress?
(a) Steinbeck diverts from his itinerary.
(b) Steinbeck is in awe of the scenery.
(c) Steinbeck stops to take more photographs.
(d) Charley is having urinary trouble and their stops are taking longer.
15. What impresses Steinbeck about the Oregon coast?
(a) The rocks
(b) The fog
(c) Sequoia trees
(d) The orchards
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Steinbeck decide not to visit a friend in Louisiana?
2. Who does Steinbeck believe was properly impressed with the country they trekked?
3. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving Chicago?
4. Where does Steinbeck head after Bismarck?
5. What disrupts the family visit?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)