|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Steinbeck liken the group's verbal taunts?
(a) A nightmare
(b) A lesson in intolerance
(c) A demonic chorus
(d) A wake-up call
2. Why does Steinbeck decide not to visit a friend in Louisiana?
(a) He doesn't think he would be welcomed.
(b) He has to get to a gas station.
(c) It is not a place to be seen with New York license plates.
(d) He needs to make up for lost time.
3. Where does Steinbeck head after Bismarck?
(a) The Wisconsin Dells
(b) Mount Rushmore
(c) The Painted Desert
(d) The Bad Lands
4. Which author wrote that you can't go home again?
(a) T.S. Eliot
(b) Thomas Wolfe
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald
(d) John Steinbeck
5. What does the park ranger warn Steinbeck about as he enters the answer to #130?
(a) Falling rocks
(b) Extreme temperatures
6. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving Chicago?
7. According to Steinbeck, what do people living in a bland world crave?
(a) Science fiction books
(b) Restaurants serving spicy foods
(c) Travel magazines about foreign countries
(d) Sex and violence in their fiction
8. Why does Steinbeck rush to Spokane?
(a) To check into a hotel
(b) To do some laundry
(c) To find a veterinarian for Charley
(d) To get a good meal
9. Why do many people invest in house trailers?
(b) Cost and mobility
(c) Home foreclosures
10. What crime does the U.S. Customs Officer accuse Steinbeck of committing?
(a) Charley does not wear a collar.
(b) The camper's fire extinguisher is out of date.
(c) There is a phone number penciled in on his passport.
(d) There are open containers of liquor in the camper.
11. Where does Steinbeck head after spending the night among the sequoias?
(a) To San Diego
(b) To Crescent City
(c) To Monterey
(d) To Portland
12. What quality do the people of #126 have that is so appealing to Steinbeck?
(a) They are stubborn.
(b) They are easygoing.
(c) They talk easily.
(d) They don't talk much.
13. What does a friend want Steinbeck to bring back from his trip?
(a) Rocks from the mountains
(b) Any honest men
(c) Tumbleweed from the desert
(d) Beer from all the states he visits
14. What does Steinbeck contemplate as he drives through Louisiana?
(a) The only black family he had known while growing up--the Coopers
(b) How he hopes his new book will be a success
(c) How he can't wait to get home
(d) What to give his wife for Christmas
15. What returns for Mrs. Steinbeck when she talks to a fellow Texan?
(a) Her distrust
(b) Her Texas accent
(c) Her temper
(d) Her manners
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck enjoy in Idaho?
2. What does Steinbeck exclude from the novel?
3. What beauty does Steinbeck see at sunset?
4. In what city in Louisiana does Steinbeck decide to stop?
5. Why will Steinbeck never move back to Monterey?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)