|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Bad Lands like during the day?
(a) They are lush.
(b) They are very bright.
(c) They are engaging.
(d) They create fear.
2. What does Steinbeck do to accelerate his trip?
(a) Exceeds the speed limits
(b) Hits the multi-lane highways
(c) Changes his itinerary
(d) Drives more hours each day
3. What holiday does Steinbeck celebrate with his wife in Texas?
(c) Yom Kippur
4. Why does Steinbeck rush to Spokane?
(a) To find a veterinarian for Charley
(b) To get a good meal
(c) To check into a hotel
(d) To do some laundry
5. Where does Steinbeck go for a family visit?
(a) His sister's house
(b) His uncle's house
(c) His cousin's house
(d) His brother's house
6. What disrupts the family visit?
(a) Political arguments
(b) A big storm
(c) Poker games
(d) Too much beer drinking
7. What is Steinbeck's next destination?
8. What does a friend want Steinbeck to bring back from his trip?
(a) Rocks from the mountains
(b) Tumbleweed from the desert
(c) Any honest men
(d) Beer from all the states he visits
9. Where does Steinbeck go to reminisce with an old friend?
(b) The ballgame
(d) Johnny Garcia's bar
10. Of what does the Columbia River region remind Steinbeck?
(a) Fly fishing with his father
(b) Lewis & Clark's expedition
(c) His childhood along the Pacific coast
(d) Camping trips with his son
11. What impresses Steinbeck at the rest stops?
(a) The really clean facilities
(b) The variety of goods in the vending machines
(c) The dog walking areas
(d) The friendliness of other travelers
12. Why is Steinbeck forced to turn back?
(a) It starts to get dark.
(b) Charley gets sick on a trail.
(c) Charley reacts violently to the sight of bears.
(d) Steinbeck twists his ankle on a trail.
13. Aside from the unpleasant family visit, how does Steinbeck find the Monterey Peninsula?
(a) It is sadly declining.
(b) It is more attractive but has lost its sense of wildness.
(c) It is too industrialized to suit him.
(d) It is much dirtier than he remembered.
14. Near what river does Steinbeck spend the night?
(a) Colorado River
(b) Mississippi River
(c) Maple River
(d) Ohio River
15. Whose birthplace is Steinbeck anxious to visit?
(a) John F. Kennedy
(b) Knut Rockne
(c) Sinclair Lewis
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Steinbeck's political views perceived by his family?
2. What is Steinbeck given when he asks for a reading light?
3. In what city in North Dakota does Steinbeck stop?
4. Why does Steinbeck think the dairy farms he sees must be subsidized?
5. What does Steinbeck consider the river crossing at Bismarck to be?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)