|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crime does the U.S. Customs Officer accuse Steinbeck of committing?
(a) There are open containers of liquor in the camper.
(b) The camper's fire extinguisher is out of date.
(c) Charley does not wear a collar.
(d) There is a phone number penciled in on his passport.
2. What impresses Steinbeck at the rest stops?
(a) The dog walking areas
(b) The variety of goods in the vending machines
(c) The really clean facilities
(d) The friendliness of other travelers
3. According to Steinbeck, what do people living in a bland world crave?
(a) Science fiction books
(b) Restaurants serving spicy foods
(c) Travel magazines about foreign countries
(d) Sex and violence in their fiction
4. Where does Steinbeck head after Bismarck?
(a) Mount Rushmore
(b) The Wisconsin Dells
(c) The Bad Lands
(d) The Painted Desert
5. Why do many people invest in house trailers?
(a) Cost and mobility
(c) Home foreclosures
6. What historical attraction does Steinbeck visit in Montana?
(a) Yosemite National Park
(b) The Grand Canyon
(c) Mount Rushmore
(d) The Little Big Horm battlefield
7. Why does Steinbeck stay in Texas three extra days?
(a) The camper needs some engine work done.
(b) Charley needs veterinary care.
(c) Steinbeck finds it hard to say goodbye to his wife.
(d) Steinbeck is tired of driving.
8. Why does Steinbeck decide not to visit a friend in Louisiana?
(a) He doesn't think he would be welcomed.
(b) He needs to make up for lost time.
(c) It is not a place to be seen with New York license plates.
(d) He has to get to a gas station.
9. What quality do the people of #126 have that is so appealing to Steinbeck?
(a) They talk easily.
(b) They are easygoing.
(c) They don't talk much.
(d) They are stubborn.
10. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
(a) The Grand Canyon
(b) Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
(c) Yosemite National Park
(d) Yellowstone National Park
11. What does Steinbeck do to accelerate his trip?
(a) Hits the multi-lane highways
(b) Changes his itinerary
(c) Drives more hours each day
(d) Exceeds the speed limits
12. Why will Steinbeck never move back to Monterey?
(a) Monterey is too old fashioned.
(b) New York City is his home now.
(c) Monterey is too dirty.
(d) He wants to be away from his family.
13. To what political party does Steinbeck belong?
14. What prevents Steinbeck from moving to the answer to #126?
(a) There is no ocean.
(b) There are no big cities.
(c) There are no great restaurants.
(d) There are no major league baseball teams.
15. What impresses Steinbeck with its strange rock formations?
(a) The Grand Canyon
(b) Mount Rushmore
(c) The Wisconsin Dells
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck notice that have sprung up near urban centers?
2. What does Steinbeck see beneath the bluster and brag of the Texans he knows?
3. What does Steinbeck admire most about Texans?
4. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving California?
5. Of what does the Columbia River region remind Steinbeck?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)