|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What commotion has erupted in the city where Steinbeck stops?
(a) The local electrician's union is on strike.
(b) Angry crowds denounce the desegregation of a grade school.
(c) The buses are running late today.
(d) The dock workers are on strike.
2. What is the occupation of Steinbeck's camping neighbor for the night?
(a) A plastics salesman
(b) A farming implements salesman
(c) An auto executive
(d) A Shakesperian performer
3. Why does Steinbeck think the dairy farms he sees must be subsidized?
(a) They look too good to be self-sustaining.
(b) They are too big for one person to manage.
(c) The feed bins are overflowing.
(d) They have a large variety of animals.
4. Why does Steinbeck stay in Texas three extra days?
(a) Steinbeck is tired of driving.
(b) The camper needs some engine work done.
(c) Steinbeck finds it hard to say goodbye to his wife.
(d) Charley needs veterinary care.
5. What does Steinbeck call the previous guest of a hotel room he waits in temporarily?
(a) The Invisible Man
(b) Marvel the Magician
(c) Lonesome Harry
(d) Johnny on the Spot
6. What crime does the U.S. Customs Officer accuse Steinbeck of committing?
(a) Charley does not wear a collar.
(b) The camper's fire extinguisher is out of date.
(c) There is a phone number penciled in on his passport.
(d) There are open containers of liquor in the camper.
7. What did Charley get at the hotel in Chicago?
(a) A good night's sleep
(b) Special dog treats
(c) Play time with other dogs
(d) A professional poodle grooming
8. Whose birthplace is Steinbeck anxious to visit?
(a) John F. Kennedy
(c) Sinclair Lewis
(d) Knut Rockne
9. Why does Steinbeck rush to Spokane?
(a) To do some laundry
(b) To find a veterinarian for Charley
(c) To get a good meal
(d) To check into a hotel
10. What does Steinbeck contemplate as he drives through Louisiana?
(a) The only black family he had known while growing up--the Coopers
(b) How he can't wait to get home
(c) What to give his wife for Christmas
(d) How he hopes his new book will be a success
11. In additional to regionalism, what has Steinbeck noticed about America so far during his trip?
(a) A spirit of giving
(b) A bland oneness
(c) Creative differences
12. What threatens Steinbeck's stay at the Maple River?
(a) Gang wars
(b) A tornado
(c) The possibility of snow
(d) Below-zero temperatures
13. Where does Steinbeck get lost in heavy traffic?
(a) Green Bay
(b) Minneapolis-St. Paul
14. What does Steinbeck admire most about Texans?
(a) Their energy
(b) Their money
(c) Their land
(d) Their hospitality
15. What impresses Steinbeck at the rest stops?
(a) The variety of goods in the vending machines
(b) The friendliness of other travelers
(c) The really clean facilities
(d) The dog walking areas
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Steinbeck liken the group's verbal taunts?
2. To which state would Steinbeck like to move?
3. What is the only valuable thing that happens on this day?
4. What impresses Steinbeck with its strange rock formations?
5. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)