|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Steinbeck given when he asks for a reading light?
(a) A floor lamp
(b) A table lamp
(c) A flashlight
(d) A coal oil lantern
2. What beauty does Steinbeck see at sunset?
(a) Purple and pink rays of light
(b) The colors of the rock layers
(c) Sparkling snowflakes
(d) Gleaming water on the river
3. What does Steinbeck contemplate as he drives through Louisiana?
(a) What to give his wife for Christmas
(b) The only black family he had known while growing up--the Coopers
(c) How he can't wait to get home
(d) How he hopes his new book will be a success
4. Who does Steinbeck believe was properly impressed with the country they trekked?
(a) Native Americans
(c) Civil War soldiers
(d) Lewis & Clark
5. In what city in North Dakota does Steinbeck stop?
(c) Grand Forks
6. Why does Steinbeck decide not to visit a friend in Louisiana?
(a) He needs to make up for lost time.
(b) It is not a place to be seen with New York license plates.
(c) He doesn't think he would be welcomed.
(d) He has to get to a gas station.
7. What returns for Mrs. Steinbeck when she talks to a fellow Texan?
(a) Her Texas accent
(b) Her distrust
(c) Her temper
(d) Her manners
8. What crime does the U.S. Customs Officer accuse Steinbeck of committing?
(a) Charley does not wear a collar.
(b) The camper's fire extinguisher is out of date.
(c) There are open containers of liquor in the camper.
(d) There is a phone number penciled in on his passport.
9. What are the Bad Lands like during the day?
(a) They are very bright.
(b) They create fear.
(c) They are engaging.
(d) They are lush.
10. What did Charley get at the hotel in Chicago?
(a) Special dog treats
(b) A professional poodle grooming
(c) Play time with other dogs
(d) A good night's sleep
11. What impresses Steinbeck about the Oregon coast?
(a) Sequoia trees
(b) The orchards
(c) The rocks
(d) The fog
12. What disrupts the family visit?
(a) Political arguments
(b) Too much beer drinking
(c) A big storm
(d) Poker games
13. What does Steinbeck exclude from the novel?
(a) The notes he makes in a journal
(b) The Chicago reunion with his wife
(c) The notes he makes on a tape recorder
(d) Phone calls he places to his family
14. Why does Steinbeck think the dairy farms he sees must be subsidized?
(a) The feed bins are overflowing.
(b) They are too big for one person to manage.
(c) They have a large variety of animals.
(d) They look too good to be self-sustaining.
15. Aside from the unpleasant family visit, how does Steinbeck find the Monterey Peninsula?
(a) It is more attractive but has lost its sense of wildness.
(b) It is sadly declining.
(c) It is much dirtier than he remembered.
(d) It is too industrialized to suit him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the source of trouble Steinbeck runs into while trying to cross the border into Canada?
2. To what does Steinbeck liken the group's verbal taunts?
3. What historical attraction does Steinbeck visit in Montana?
4. Whose birthplace is Steinbeck anxious to visit?
5. What does Steinbeck call the previous guest of a hotel room he waits in temporarily?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)