|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What historical attraction does Steinbeck visit in Montana?
(a) The Little Big Horm battlefield
(b) The Grand Canyon
(c) Mount Rushmore
(d) Yosemite National Park
2. What does Steinbeck plan to do in Chicago?
(a) See his publisher
(b) Go to a Cubs game
(c) Eat a great steak dinner
(d) Meet his wife
3. What impresses Steinbeck about the Oregon coast?
(a) The rocks
(b) The fog
(c) Sequoia trees
(d) The orchards
4. Why has Steinbeck's visit disturbed his family?
(a) He makes long distance phone calls on their phones.
(b) He drinks too much beer.
(c) They want to remember the younger Steinbeck of their memories.
(d) He has parked his camper in the yard.
5. What does Steinbeck call the previous guest of a hotel room he waits in temporarily?
(a) Johnny on the Spot
(b) Lonesome Harry
(c) The Invisible Man
(d) Marvel the Magician
6. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
(a) Yosemite National Park
(b) The Grand Canyon
(c) Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
(d) Yellowstone National Park
7. Where does Steinbeck go for a family visit?
(a) His brother's house
(b) His cousin's house
(c) His sister's house
(d) His uncle's house
8. Why does Steinbeck decide not to visit a friend in Louisiana?
(a) He doesn't think he would be welcomed.
(b) He needs to make up for lost time.
(c) He has to get to a gas station.
(d) It is not a place to be seen with New York license plates.
9. What are the Bad Lands like during the day?
(a) They are lush.
(b) They are engaging.
(c) They create fear.
(d) They are very bright.
10. To what does Steinbeck liken the group's verbal taunts?
(a) A demonic chorus
(b) A lesson in intolerance
(c) A nightmare
(d) A wake-up call
11. What is the source of trouble Steinbeck runs into while trying to cross the border into Canada?
(a) He has forgotten his birth certificate.
(b) He needs Charley's rabies vaccination documents to return to the U.S.
(c) He needs a passport.
(d) He cannot take his liquor into Canada.
12. What does Steinbeck see beneath the bluster and brag of the Texans he knows?
(c) Bad tempers
13. Why is Steinbeck shocked by Seattle?
(a) It has many homeless people.
(b) It has grown tremendously.
(c) It has way too many coffee shops.
(d) It is a very dirty city.
14. What does Steinbeck admire most about Texans?
(a) Their hospitality
(b) Their energy
(c) Their land
(d) Their money
15. What does the park ranger warn Steinbeck about as he enters the answer to #130?
(b) Extreme temperatures
(c) Falling rocks
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts to slow Steinbeck's progress?
2. What significant event does Steinbeck anticipate in Montana?
3. Which author wrote that you can't go home again?
4. After the border fiasco, Steinbeck admits that he loves countries but hates _____________________.
5. What prevents Steinbeck from moving to the answer to #126?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)