|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impresses Steinbeck with its strange rock formations?
(a) The Wisconsin Dells
(c) Mount Rushmore
(d) The Grand Canyon
2. Why does Steinbeck rush to Spokane?
(a) To do some laundry
(b) To get a good meal
(c) To find a veterinarian for Charley
(d) To check into a hotel
3. What quality do the people of #126 have that is so appealing to Steinbeck?
(a) They are easygoing.
(b) They are stubborn.
(c) They talk easily.
(d) They don't talk much.
4. What does Steinbeck call the previous guest of a hotel room he waits in temporarily?
(a) Johnny on the Spot
(b) Marvel the Magician
(c) Lonesome Harry
(d) The Invisible Man
5. To which state would Steinbeck like to move?
(b) South Dakota
(c) North Dakota
6. Where does Steinbeck get lost in heavy traffic?
(b) Green Bay
(c) Minneapolis-St. Paul
7. What is the only valuable thing that happens on this day?
(a) Steinbeck sees Niagara Falls.
(b) Steinbeck talks to his wife from a pay phone.
(c) Steinbeck has a good steak dinner.
(d) Steinbeck writes in a journal.
8. What holiday does Steinbeck celebrate with his wife in Texas?
(d) Yom Kippur
9. What does Steinbeck notice that have sprung up near urban centers?
(a) Drug stores
(b) Industrial parks
(c) Baseball diamonds
(d) Trailer parks
10. What commotion has erupted in the city where Steinbeck stops?
(a) The buses are running late today.
(b) The dock workers are on strike.
(c) The local electrician's union is on strike.
(d) Angry crowds denounce the desegregation of a grade school.
11. In what city in North Dakota does Steinbeck stop?
(d) Grand Forks
12. Why is Steinbeck shocked by Seattle?
(a) It has grown tremendously.
(b) It has many homeless people.
(c) It is a very dirty city.
(d) It has way too many coffee shops.
13. What historical attraction does Steinbeck visit in Montana?
(a) The Grand Canyon
(b) Mount Rushmore
(c) Yosemite National Park
(d) The Little Big Horm battlefield
14. What disrupts the family visit?
(a) Political arguments
(b) Poker games
(c) A big storm
(d) Too much beer drinking
15. Why does Steinbeck think the dairy farms he sees must be subsidized?
(a) They are too big for one person to manage.
(b) They look too good to be self-sustaining.
(c) The feed bins are overflowing.
(d) They have a large variety of animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck consider the river crossing at Bismarck to be?
2. What does Steinbeck contemplate as he drives through Louisiana?
3. What does Steinbeck exclude from the novel?
4. Which author wrote that you can't go home again?
5. What returns for Mrs. Steinbeck when she talks to a fellow Texan?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)