|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Steinbeck head after Bismarck?
(a) The Wisconsin Dells
(b) The Painted Desert
(c) Mount Rushmore
(d) The Bad Lands
2. Where does Steinbeck go for a family visit?
(a) His brother's house
(b) His sister's house
(c) His cousin's house
(d) His uncle's house
3. What does Steinbeck enjoy in Idaho?
(a) Fly fishing
(c) Snow-capped mountains
(d) Baked potatoes
4. What does Steinbeck do to accelerate his trip?
(a) Exceeds the speed limits
(b) Drives more hours each day
(c) Changes his itinerary
(d) Hits the multi-lane highways
5. What commotion has erupted in the city where Steinbeck stops?
(a) The local electrician's union is on strike.
(b) Angry crowds denounce the desegregation of a grade school.
(c) The dock workers are on strike.
(d) The buses are running late today.
6. Of what does the Columbia River region remind Steinbeck?
(a) His childhood along the Pacific coast
(b) Camping trips with his son
(c) Lewis & Clark's expedition
(d) Fly fishing with his father
7. Whose birthplace is Steinbeck anxious to visit?
(a) Sinclair Lewis
(c) Knut Rockne
(d) John F. Kennedy
8. Why has Steinbeck's visit disturbed his family?
(a) He drinks too much beer.
(b) They want to remember the younger Steinbeck of their memories.
(c) He makes long distance phone calls on their phones.
(d) He has parked his camper in the yard.
9. What is the source of trouble Steinbeck runs into while trying to cross the border into Canada?
(a) He needs Charley's rabies vaccination documents to return to the U.S.
(b) He cannot take his liquor into Canada.
(c) He needs a passport.
(d) He has forgotten his birth certificate.
10. Where does Steinbeck head after spending the night among the sequoias?
(a) To Crescent City
(b) To Monterey
(c) To Portland
(d) To San Diego
11. Why is Steinbeck shocked by Seattle?
(a) It is a very dirty city.
(b) It has many homeless people.
(c) It has grown tremendously.
(d) It has way too many coffee shops.
12. In additional to regionalism, what has Steinbeck noticed about America so far during his trip?
(a) A bland oneness
(b) Creative differences
(d) A spirit of giving
13. How are Steinbeck's political views perceived by his family?
(a) As a nuisance
(b) As a radical
(c) As an uninformed person
(d) As an insult to his upbringing
14. What does Steinbeck see beneath the bluster and brag of the Texans he knows?
(c) Bad tempers
15. What is Steinbeck's next destination?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Steinbeck, what do people living in a bland world crave?
2. Which author wrote that you can't go home again?
3. To what political party does Steinbeck belong?
4. Who is Steinbeck drawn to at the rest stops?
5. What disrupts the family visit?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)