|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only valuable thing that happens on this day?
(a) Steinbeck sees Niagara Falls.
(b) Steinbeck has a good steak dinner.
(c) Steinbeck talks to his wife from a pay phone.
(d) Steinbeck writes in a journal.
2. In what city in Louisiana does Steinbeck decide to stop?
(b) New Orleans
(d) Baton Rouge
3. Why has Steinbeck's visit disturbed his family?
(a) He has parked his camper in the yard.
(b) He makes long distance phone calls on their phones.
(c) They want to remember the younger Steinbeck of their memories.
(d) He drinks too much beer.
4. What does Steinbeck contemplate as he drives through Louisiana?
(a) The only black family he had known while growing up--the Coopers
(b) How he can't wait to get home
(c) How he hopes his new book will be a success
(d) What to give his wife for Christmas
5. Where does Steinbeck go to reminisce with an old friend?
(a) Johnny Garcia's bar
(b) The ballgame
6. Why will Steinbeck never move back to Monterey?
(a) Monterey is too old fashioned.
(b) New York City is his home now.
(c) Monterey is too dirty.
(d) He wants to be away from his family.
7. Of what does the Columbia River region remind Steinbeck?
(a) Camping trips with his son
(b) Lewis & Clark's expedition
(c) Fly fishing with his father
(d) His childhood along the Pacific coast
8. What does Steinbeck see beneath the bluster and brag of the Texans he knows?
(b) Bad tempers
9. According to Steinbeck, what do people living in a bland world crave?
(a) Science fiction books
(b) Sex and violence in their fiction
(c) Travel magazines about foreign countries
(d) Restaurants serving spicy foods
10. Why does Steinbeck rush to Spokane?
(a) To check into a hotel
(b) To get a good meal
(c) To find a veterinarian for Charley
(d) To do some laundry
11. What is Steinbeck given when he asks for a reading light?
(a) A table lamp
(b) A flashlight
(c) A coal oil lantern
(d) A floor lamp
12. What does the park ranger warn Steinbeck about as he enters the answer to #130?
(a) Extreme temperatures
(b) Falling rocks
13. What commotion has erupted in the city where Steinbeck stops?
(a) The local electrician's union is on strike.
(b) The dock workers are on strike.
(c) The buses are running late today.
(d) Angry crowds denounce the desegregation of a grade school.
14. Why is Steinbeck forced to turn back?
(a) Charley gets sick on a trail.
(b) Charley reacts violently to the sight of bears.
(c) It starts to get dark.
(d) Steinbeck twists his ankle on a trail.
15. Aside from the unpleasant family visit, how does Steinbeck find the Monterey Peninsula?
(a) It is sadly declining.
(b) It is too industrialized to suit him.
(c) It is much dirtier than he remembered.
(d) It is more attractive but has lost its sense of wildness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Steinbeck think the dairy farms he sees must be subsidized?
2. What is the occupation of Steinbeck's camping neighbor for the night?
3. What does Steinbeck do to accelerate his trip?
4. To Steinbeck, Texas is not so much a place as a _________________________.
5. What does Steinbeck exclude from the novel?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)