|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the evening meal where Steinbeck stops at a rental cabin and lunch room?
(a) Cheeseburger & fries and pudding
(b) Corned beef & cabbage and lemon pie
(c) Ham & beans and ice cream
(d) Beef stew & biscuits and chocolate cake
2. What does Steinbeck do to accelerate his trip?
(a) Drives more hours each day
(b) Exceeds the speed limits
(c) Hits the multi-lane highways
(d) Changes his itinerary
3. Why has Steinbeck's visit disturbed his family?
(a) He drinks too much beer.
(b) They want to remember the younger Steinbeck of their memories.
(c) He has parked his camper in the yard.
(d) He makes long distance phone calls on their phones.
4. To what does Steinbeck liken the group's verbal taunts?
(a) A wake-up call
(b) A nightmare
(c) A demonic chorus
(d) A lesson in intolerance
5. How are Steinbeck's political views perceived by his family?
(a) As an uninformed person
(b) As a nuisance
(c) As an insult to his upbringing
(d) As a radical
6. Where does Steinbeck go for a family visit?
(a) His sister's house
(b) His cousin's house
(c) His brother's house
(d) His uncle's house
7. To which state would Steinbeck like to move?
(a) North Dakota
(b) South Dakota
8. In additional to regionalism, what has Steinbeck noticed about America so far during his trip?
(b) A bland oneness
(c) A spirit of giving
(d) Creative differences
9. What does Steinbeck call the previous guest of a hotel room he waits in temporarily?
(a) Lonesome Harry
(b) The Invisible Man
(c) Marvel the Magician
(d) Johnny on the Spot
10. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
(a) Yosemite National Park
(b) The Grand Canyon
(c) Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
(d) Yellowstone National Park
11. To Steinbeck, Texas is not so much a place as a _________________________.
(d) state of mind
12. What impresses Steinbeck at the rest stops?
(a) The friendliness of other travelers
(b) The dog walking areas
(c) The variety of goods in the vending machines
(d) The really clean facilities
13. Near what river does Steinbeck spend the night?
(a) Ohio River
(b) Colorado River
(c) Maple River
(d) Mississippi River
14. What impresses Steinbeck about the Oregon coast?
(a) The orchards
(b) The fog
(c) The rocks
(d) Sequoia trees
15. What commotion has erupted in the city where Steinbeck stops?
(a) The buses are running late today.
(b) Angry crowds denounce the desegregation of a grade school.
(c) The dock workers are on strike.
(d) The local electrician's union is on strike.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the border fiasco, Steinbeck admits that he loves countries but hates _____________________.
2. Whose birthplace is Steinbeck anxious to visit?
3. In what city in Louisiana does Steinbeck decide to stop?
4. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving Chicago?
5. On what does Steinbeck reflect at this point of his journey?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)