|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Steinbeck's visit disturbed his family?
(a) He has parked his camper in the yard.
(b) He drinks too much beer.
(c) They want to remember the younger Steinbeck of their memories.
(d) He makes long distance phone calls on their phones.
2. What does Steinbeck contemplate as he drives through Louisiana?
(a) What to give his wife for Christmas
(b) The only black family he had known while growing up--the Coopers
(c) How he can't wait to get home
(d) How he hopes his new book will be a success
3. Why is Steinbeck shocked by Seattle?
(a) It has many homeless people.
(b) It has grown tremendously.
(c) It has way too many coffee shops.
(d) It is a very dirty city.
4. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
(a) The Grand Canyon
(b) Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
(c) Yellowstone National Park
(d) Yosemite National Park
5. To which state would Steinbeck like to move?
(b) North Dakota
(c) South Dakota
6. What does Steinbeck see beneath the bluster and brag of the Texans he knows?
(b) Bad tempers
7. Where does Steinbeck go for a family visit?
(a) His sister's house
(b) His uncle's house
(c) His cousin's house
(d) His brother's house
8. Why does Steinbeck rush to Spokane?
(a) To get a good meal
(b) To do some laundry
(c) To check into a hotel
(d) To find a veterinarian for Charley
9. What holiday does Steinbeck celebrate with his wife in Texas?
(c) Yom Kippur
10. What starts to slow Steinbeck's progress?
(a) Steinbeck is in awe of the scenery.
(b) Steinbeck diverts from his itinerary.
(c) Charley is having urinary trouble and their stops are taking longer.
(d) Steinbeck stops to take more photographs.
11. To what does Steinbeck liken the group's verbal taunts?
(a) A nightmare
(b) A wake-up call
(c) A demonic chorus
(d) A lesson in intolerance
12. What significant event does Steinbeck anticipate in Montana?
(a) Seeing Mount Rushmore
(b) The geyser of Old Faithful
(c) Crossing the Colorado River
(d) Crossing the Continental Divide
13. What threatens Steinbeck's stay at the Maple River?
(a) A tornado
(b) Gang wars
(c) The possibility of snow
(d) Below-zero temperatures
14. What impresses Steinbeck with its strange rock formations?
(a) The Wisconsin Dells
(b) Mount Rushmore
(c) The Grand Canyon
15. After the border fiasco, Steinbeck admits that he loves countries but hates _____________________.
(b) rundown roadside rest areas
(d) inaccurate road maps
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck call the previous guest of a hotel room he waits in temporarily?
2. What is the only valuable thing that happens on this day?
3. Whose birthplace is Steinbeck anxious to visit?
4. What is the name of the group giving disturbing speeches?
5. In what city in Louisiana does Steinbeck decide to stop?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)