|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disrupts the family visit?
(a) Poker games
(b) A big storm
(c) Political arguments
(d) Too much beer drinking
2. What commotion has erupted in the city where Steinbeck stops?
(a) The local electrician's union is on strike.
(b) The dock workers are on strike.
(c) Angry crowds denounce the desegregation of a grade school.
(d) The buses are running late today.
3. On what does Steinbeck reflect at this point of his journey?
(a) If he should get a different camper
(b) If he is doing the trip as it should be done
(c) If he should turn back
(d) If he should take a break
4. Why does Steinbeck decide not to visit a friend in Louisiana?
(a) He has to get to a gas station.
(b) He doesn't think he would be welcomed.
(c) It is not a place to be seen with New York license plates.
(d) He needs to make up for lost time.
5. Of what does the Columbia River region remind Steinbeck?
(a) His childhood along the Pacific coast
(b) Fly fishing with his father
(c) Camping trips with his son
(d) Lewis & Clark's expedition
6. What significant event does Steinbeck anticipate in Montana?
(a) Crossing the Colorado River
(b) The geyser of Old Faithful
(c) Crossing the Continental Divide
(d) Seeing Mount Rushmore
7. Why do many people invest in house trailers?
(a) Cost and mobility
(d) Home foreclosures
8. What impresses Steinbeck with its strange rock formations?
(b) Mount Rushmore
(c) The Wisconsin Dells
(d) The Grand Canyon
9. What is the evening meal where Steinbeck stops at a rental cabin and lunch room?
(a) Corned beef & cabbage and lemon pie
(b) Ham & beans and ice cream
(c) Cheeseburger & fries and pudding
(d) Beef stew & biscuits and chocolate cake
10. Why does Steinbeck think the dairy farms he sees must be subsidized?
(a) They look too good to be self-sustaining.
(b) They are too big for one person to manage.
(c) They have a large variety of animals.
(d) The feed bins are overflowing.
11. What historical attraction does Steinbeck visit in Montana?
(a) Mount Rushmore
(b) The Little Big Horm battlefield
(c) Yosemite National Park
(d) The Grand Canyon
12. What is the name of the group giving disturbing speeches?
(a) The Republicans
(b) The Democrats
(c) The Cheerleaders
(d) The Toastmasters
13. What does a friend want Steinbeck to bring back from his trip?
(a) Any honest men
(b) Tumbleweed from the desert
(c) Rocks from the mountains
(d) Beer from all the states he visits
14. What starts to slow Steinbeck's progress?
(a) Charley is having urinary trouble and their stops are taking longer.
(b) Steinbeck is in awe of the scenery.
(c) Steinbeck diverts from his itinerary.
(d) Steinbeck stops to take more photographs.
15. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving California?
(a) The Tetons
(b) The Rocky Mountains
(c) The Grand Canyon
(d) The Mojave Desert
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city in Louisiana does Steinbeck decide to stop?
2. What are the Bad Lands like during the day?
3. What crime does the U.S. Customs Officer accuse Steinbeck of committing?
4. What does Steinbeck call the previous guest of a hotel room he waits in temporarily?
5. Who does Steinbeck believe was properly impressed with the country they trekked?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)