|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will Steinbeck never move back to Monterey?
(a) He wants to be away from his family.
(b) New York City is his home now.
(c) Monterey is too dirty.
(d) Monterey is too old fashioned.
2. To which state would Steinbeck like to move?
(b) South Dakota
(d) North Dakota
3. What does Steinbeck enjoy in Idaho?
(a) Fly fishing
(b) Snow-capped mountains
(c) Baked potatoes
4. In what city in Louisiana does Steinbeck decide to stop?
(b) Baton Rouge
(d) New Orleans
5. After the border fiasco, Steinbeck admits that he loves countries but hates _____________________.
(a) inaccurate road maps
(d) rundown roadside rest areas
6. On what does Steinbeck reflect at this point of his journey?
(a) If he is doing the trip as it should be done
(b) If he should turn back
(c) If he should take a break
(d) If he should get a different camper
7. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
(a) The Grand Canyon
(b) Yellowstone National Park
(c) Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
(d) Yosemite National Park
8. What is the evening meal where Steinbeck stops at a rental cabin and lunch room?
(a) Cheeseburger & fries and pudding
(b) Corned beef & cabbage and lemon pie
(c) Beef stew & biscuits and chocolate cake
(d) Ham & beans and ice cream
9. What did Charley get at the hotel in Chicago?
(a) Play time with other dogs
(b) A professional poodle grooming
(c) Special dog treats
(d) A good night's sleep
10. Of what does the Columbia River region remind Steinbeck?
(a) Lewis & Clark's expedition
(b) Camping trips with his son
(c) His childhood along the Pacific coast
(d) Fly fishing with his father
11. How are Steinbeck's political views perceived by his family?
(a) As an insult to his upbringing
(b) As an uninformed person
(c) As a radical
(d) As a nuisance
12. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving Chicago?
13. Who does Steinbeck believe was properly impressed with the country they trekked?
(a) Lewis & Clark
(b) Civil War soldiers
(c) Native Americans
14. What does Steinbeck do to accelerate his trip?
(a) Changes his itinerary
(b) Hits the multi-lane highways
(c) Drives more hours each day
(d) Exceeds the speed limits
15. Why does Steinbeck stay in Texas three extra days?
(a) Steinbeck finds it hard to say goodbye to his wife.
(b) Steinbeck is tired of driving.
(c) Charley needs veterinary care.
(d) The camper needs some engine work done.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Steinbeck from moving to the answer to #126?
2. Where is Steinbeck's last stop in California?
3. Which author wrote that you can't go home again?
4. What is the name of the group giving disturbing speeches?
5. Why is Steinbeck shocked by Seattle?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)