|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Steinbeck, Texas is not so much a place as a _________________________.
(d) state of mind
2. What is Steinbeck given when he asks for a reading light?
(a) A flashlight
(b) A table lamp
(c) A floor lamp
(d) A coal oil lantern
3. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
(a) Yellowstone National Park
(b) Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
(c) Yosemite National Park
(d) The Grand Canyon
4. After the border fiasco, Steinbeck admits that he loves countries but hates _____________________.
(b) inaccurate road maps
(d) rundown roadside rest areas
5. What prevents Steinbeck from moving to the answer to #126?
(a) There are no big cities.
(b) There are no major league baseball teams.
(c) There are no great restaurants.
(d) There is no ocean.
6. Why does Steinbeck think the dairy farms he sees must be subsidized?
(a) They look too good to be self-sustaining.
(b) The feed bins are overflowing.
(c) They have a large variety of animals.
(d) They are too big for one person to manage.
7. What does Steinbeck plan to do in Chicago?
(a) Meet his wife
(b) See his publisher
(c) Eat a great steak dinner
(d) Go to a Cubs game
8. Who does Steinbeck believe was properly impressed with the country they trekked?
(a) Native Americans
(b) Lewis & Clark
(c) Civil War soldiers
9. What starts to slow Steinbeck's progress?
(a) Charley is having urinary trouble and their stops are taking longer.
(b) Steinbeck is in awe of the scenery.
(c) Steinbeck stops to take more photographs.
(d) Steinbeck diverts from his itinerary.
10. What does Steinbeck contemplate as he drives through Louisiana?
(a) What to give his wife for Christmas
(b) How he can't wait to get home
(c) The only black family he had known while growing up--the Coopers
(d) How he hopes his new book will be a success
11. What does Steinbeck see beneath the bluster and brag of the Texans he knows?
(c) Bad tempers
12. What is the occupation of Steinbeck's camping neighbor for the night?
(a) A Shakesperian performer
(b) A farming implements salesman
(c) An auto executive
(d) A plastics salesman
13. Where does Steinbeck get lost in heavy traffic?
(c) Minneapolis-St. Paul
(d) Green Bay
14. What does Steinbeck do to accelerate his trip?
(a) Drives more hours each day
(b) Hits the multi-lane highways
(c) Exceeds the speed limits
(d) Changes his itinerary
15. On what does Steinbeck reflect at this point of his journey?
(a) If he should take a break
(b) If he is doing the trip as it should be done
(c) If he should get a different camper
(d) If he should turn back
Short Answer Questions
1. What beauty does Steinbeck see at sunset?
2. What impresses Steinbeck about the Oregon coast?
3. What impresses Steinbeck with its strange rock formations?
4. What does a friend want Steinbeck to bring back from his trip?
5. Where does Steinbeck go for a family visit?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)