|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck notice that have sprung up near urban centers?
(a) Industrial parks
(b) Baseball diamonds
(c) Trailer parks
(d) Drug stores
2. Why has Steinbeck's visit disturbed his family?
(a) They want to remember the younger Steinbeck of their memories.
(b) He drinks too much beer.
(c) He makes long distance phone calls on their phones.
(d) He has parked his camper in the yard.
3. To Steinbeck, Texas is not so much a place as a _________________________.
(b) state of mind
4. Why does Steinbeck rush to Spokane?
(a) To do some laundry
(b) To get a good meal
(c) To check into a hotel
(d) To find a veterinarian for Charley
5. In what city in Louisiana does Steinbeck decide to stop?
(a) Baton Rouge
(d) New Orleans
6. On what does Steinbeck reflect at this point of his journey?
(a) If he is doing the trip as it should be done
(b) If he should turn back
(c) If he should take a break
(d) If he should get a different camper
7. Why will Steinbeck never move back to Monterey?
(a) Monterey is too old fashioned.
(b) He wants to be away from his family.
(c) New York City is his home now.
(d) Monterey is too dirty.
8. What prevents Steinbeck from moving to the answer to #126?
(a) There are no major league baseball teams.
(b) There are no big cities.
(c) There is no ocean.
(d) There are no great restaurants.
9. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving California?
(a) The Grand Canyon
(b) The Mojave Desert
(c) The Tetons
(d) The Rocky Mountains
10. Who does Steinbeck believe was properly impressed with the country they trekked?
(a) Native Americans
(c) Civil War soldiers
(d) Lewis & Clark
11. What does Steinbeck do to accelerate his trip?
(a) Exceeds the speed limits
(b) Drives more hours each day
(c) Changes his itinerary
(d) Hits the multi-lane highways
12. Where does Steinbeck get lost in heavy traffic?
(b) Minneapolis-St. Paul
(c) Green Bay
13. What impresses Steinbeck at the rest stops?
(a) The friendliness of other travelers
(b) The dog walking areas
(c) The variety of goods in the vending machines
(d) The really clean facilities
14. What does Steinbeck enjoy in Idaho?
(a) Snow-capped mountains
(b) Fly fishing
(c) Baked potatoes
15. Where does Steinbeck go to reminisce with an old friend?
(b) Johnny Garcia's bar
(c) The ballgame
Short Answer Questions
1. To which state would Steinbeck like to move?
2. What impresses Steinbeck about the Oregon coast?
3. What does Steinbeck see beneath the bluster and brag of the Texans he knows?
4. Near what river does Steinbeck spend the night?
5. What does Steinbeck consider the river crossing at Bismarck to be?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)