|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What returns for Mrs. Steinbeck when she talks to a fellow Texan?
(a) Her distrust
(b) Her Texas accent
(c) Her temper
(d) Her manners
2. Which author wrote that you can't go home again?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald
(b) T.S. Eliot
(c) Thomas Wolfe
(d) John Steinbeck
3. What threatens Steinbeck's stay at the Maple River?
(a) Below-zero temperatures
(b) Gang wars
(c) The possibility of snow
(d) A tornado
4. What commotion has erupted in the city where Steinbeck stops?
(a) Angry crowds denounce the desegregation of a grade school.
(b) The dock workers are on strike.
(c) The local electrician's union is on strike.
(d) The buses are running late today.
5. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
(a) Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
(b) Yellowstone National Park
(c) The Grand Canyon
(d) Yosemite National Park
6. What did Charley get at the hotel in Chicago?
(a) Play time with other dogs
(b) A professional poodle grooming
(c) Special dog treats
(d) A good night's sleep
7. Why will Steinbeck never move back to Monterey?
(a) New York City is his home now.
(b) Monterey is too dirty.
(c) Monterey is too old fashioned.
(d) He wants to be away from his family.
8. What prevents Steinbeck from moving to the answer to #126?
(a) There are no major league baseball teams.
(b) There are no great restaurants.
(c) There are no big cities.
(d) There is no ocean.
9. What crime does the U.S. Customs Officer accuse Steinbeck of committing?
(a) There is a phone number penciled in on his passport.
(b) The camper's fire extinguisher is out of date.
(c) There are open containers of liquor in the camper.
(d) Charley does not wear a collar.
10. Aside from the unpleasant family visit, how does Steinbeck find the Monterey Peninsula?
(a) It is much dirtier than he remembered.
(b) It is sadly declining.
(c) It is too industrialized to suit him.
(d) It is more attractive but has lost its sense of wildness.
11. To what political party does Steinbeck belong?
12. What does Steinbeck enjoy in Idaho?
(b) Snow-capped mountains
(c) Baked potatoes
(d) Fly fishing
13. What impresses Steinbeck at the rest stops?
(a) The dog walking areas
(b) The variety of goods in the vending machines
(c) The friendliness of other travelers
(d) The really clean facilities
14. What holiday does Steinbeck celebrate with his wife in Texas?
(a) Yom Kippur
15. What does the park ranger warn Steinbeck about as he enters the answer to #130?
(b) Extreme temperatures
(d) Falling rocks
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Steinbeck forced to turn back?
2. On what does Steinbeck reflect at this point of his journey?
3. Why does Steinbeck decide not to visit a friend in Louisiana?
4. To which state would Steinbeck like to move?
5. Where does Steinbeck get lost in heavy traffic?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)