|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck call the previous guest of a hotel room he waits in temporarily?
(a) Johnny on the Spot
(b) Marvel the Magician
(c) Lonesome Harry
(d) The Invisible Man
2. What significant event does Steinbeck anticipate in Montana?
(a) Crossing the Continental Divide
(b) The geyser of Old Faithful
(c) Seeing Mount Rushmore
(d) Crossing the Colorado River
3. What is the only valuable thing that happens on this day?
(a) Steinbeck has a good steak dinner.
(b) Steinbeck talks to his wife from a pay phone.
(c) Steinbeck sees Niagara Falls.
(d) Steinbeck writes in a journal.
4. What does a friend want Steinbeck to bring back from his trip?
(a) Any honest men
(b) Beer from all the states he visits
(c) Tumbleweed from the desert
(d) Rocks from the mountains
5. What does Steinbeck do to accelerate his trip?
(a) Hits the multi-lane highways
(b) Changes his itinerary
(c) Drives more hours each day
(d) Exceeds the speed limits
6. Whose birthplace is Steinbeck anxious to visit?
(a) Sinclair Lewis
(b) John F. Kennedy
(c) Knut Rockne
7. Who does Steinbeck believe was properly impressed with the country they trekked?
(b) Native Americans
(c) Civil War soldiers
(d) Lewis & Clark
8. Which author wrote that you can't go home again?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald
(b) John Steinbeck
(c) T.S. Eliot
(d) Thomas Wolfe
9. To Steinbeck, Texas is not so much a place as a _________________________.
(d) state of mind
10. What does Steinbeck plan to do in Chicago?
(a) Eat a great steak dinner
(b) Meet his wife
(c) Go to a Cubs game
(d) See his publisher
11. What threatens Steinbeck's stay at the Maple River?
(a) Below-zero temperatures
(b) Gang wars
(c) The possibility of snow
(d) A tornado
12. In what city in North Dakota does Steinbeck stop?
(d) Grand Forks
13. Where does Steinbeck head after leaving Chicago?
14. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
(a) The Grand Canyon
(b) Yosemite National Park
(c) Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
(d) Yellowstone National Park
15. What is the source of trouble Steinbeck runs into while trying to cross the border into Canada?
(a) He needs a passport.
(b) He has forgotten his birth certificate.
(c) He needs Charley's rabies vaccination documents to return to the U.S.
(d) He cannot take his liquor into Canada.
Short Answer Questions
1. What returns for Mrs. Steinbeck when she talks to a fellow Texan?
2. To which state would Steinbeck like to move?
3. What crime does the U.S. Customs Officer accuse Steinbeck of committing?
4. What does Steinbeck contemplate as he drives through Louisiana?
5. What commotion has erupted in the city where Steinbeck stops?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)