|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do many people invest in house trailers?
(a) Cost and mobility
(b) Home foreclosures
2. Why is Steinbeck forced to turn back?
(a) Steinbeck twists his ankle on a trail.
(b) Charley gets sick on a trail.
(c) It starts to get dark.
(d) Charley reacts violently to the sight of bears.
3. What are the Bad Lands like during the day?
(a) They are engaging.
(b) They are lush.
(c) They are very bright.
(d) They create fear.
4. What did Charley get at the hotel in Chicago?
(a) A professional poodle grooming
(b) A good night's sleep
(c) Play time with other dogs
(d) Special dog treats
5. In additional to regionalism, what has Steinbeck noticed about America so far during his trip?
(a) Creative differences
(b) A spirit of giving
(d) A bland oneness
6. What crime does the U.S. Customs Officer accuse Steinbeck of committing?
(a) The camper's fire extinguisher is out of date.
(b) Charley does not wear a collar.
(c) There are open containers of liquor in the camper.
(d) There is a phone number penciled in on his passport.
7. Which author wrote that you can't go home again?
(a) T.S. Eliot
(b) John Steinbeck
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald
(d) Thomas Wolfe
8. In what city in Louisiana does Steinbeck decide to stop?
(a) Baton Rouge
(c) New Orleans
9. What does Steinbeck enjoy in Idaho?
(b) Snow-capped mountains
(c) Fly fishing
(d) Baked potatoes
10. What significant event does Steinbeck anticipate in Montana?
(a) Seeing Mount Rushmore
(b) Crossing the Continental Divide
(c) Crossing the Colorado River
(d) The geyser of Old Faithful
11. What is Steinbeck given when he asks for a reading light?
(a) A table lamp
(b) A flashlight
(c) A floor lamp
(d) A coal oil lantern
12. What is the evening meal where Steinbeck stops at a rental cabin and lunch room?
(a) Corned beef & cabbage and lemon pie
(b) Ham & beans and ice cream
(c) Beef stew & biscuits and chocolate cake
(d) Cheeseburger & fries and pudding
13. Whose birthplace is Steinbeck anxious to visit?
(b) John F. Kennedy
(c) Knut Rockne
(d) Sinclair Lewis
14. Near what river does Steinbeck spend the night?
(a) Colorado River
(b) Maple River
(c) Ohio River
(d) Mississippi River
15. Aside from the unpleasant family visit, how does Steinbeck find the Monterey Peninsula?
(a) It is sadly declining.
(b) It is much dirtier than he remembered.
(c) It is too industrialized to suit him.
(d) It is more attractive but has lost its sense of wildness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday does Steinbeck celebrate with his wife in Texas?
2. What national park does Steinbeck visit while in Montana?
3. What threatens Steinbeck's stay at the Maple River?
4. Where does Steinbeck head after spending the night among the sequoias?
5. How are Steinbeck's political views perceived by his family?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)