|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does the sight of a nuclear submarine remind Steinbeck?
(a) His days in the navy
(b) The Cold War
(c) His fear of enclosed places
(d) A story he once wrote
2. What does Steinbeck call this state of journeying?
3. Where has Steinbeck's friend made a reservation for him?
(a) Niagara Falls
(b) Deer Isle
(d) Mt. Killington
4. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
(a) A loudspeaker
(b) A trick horn
(c) A siren
(d) Flashing lights
5. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
(a) Another person would probably change the itinerary.
(b) Another person probably wouldn't like the radio stations he likes.
(c) Another person would change the experience from observation to interactivity.
(d) Another person would talk too much.
6. Steinbeck writes, "We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; _______________________
(a) we define destinies."
(b) we enter into a new dimension."
(c) a trip takes us."
(d) we take a journey."
7. What kind of dog is Charley?
(a) German Shephard
(d) Jack Russell Terrier
8. What do Steinbeck's friends warn him about regarding this trip?
(a) That he will get bored very quickly.
(b) That he will realize that his life at home was preferable.
(c) That he will not be able to travel incognito.
(d) That he will not have the perseverance to complete it.
9. What have people always told Steinbeck about his wanderlust?
(a) He needs to indulge it.
(b) He is crazy to even think about it.
(c) He will grow out of it.
(d) Everybody has it to some degree.
10. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
(a) A sense of pride
(b) Many changes
(c) Wealth and prosperity
(d) Overwhelming sadness
11. Of what is Steinbeck an avid collector?
(d) traffic signs
12. How old is Steinbeck at the time that he starts on his journey?
13. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
14. What is Steinbeck's destination on the next day?
(b) Niagara Falls
(c) The northernmost county of Maine
15. What happens to delay Steinbeck's plans?
(a) His wife needs emergency surgery.
(b) A blizzard hits New York.
(c) The camper's tires go flat.
(d) Hurricane Donna hits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the eye of the storm passes?
2. What does Steinbeck buy at roadside markets?
3. What book does Steinbeck read as he drinks coffee at a rest area?
4. What does Steinbeck think old age will do?
5. What does Steinbeck do to Charley to protect him in the deer hunting region of inner Maine?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)