|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the neighboring boats after Steinbeck cuts the rope holding them together?
(a) They capsize.
(b) They crash into Steinbeck's boat.
(c) They blow onto a mud bank.
(d) They blow out to sea.
2. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
(a) Another person would talk too much.
(b) Another person probably wouldn't like the radio stations he likes.
(c) Another person would change the experience from observation to interactivity.
(d) Another person would probably change the itinerary.
3. What happens when the eye of the storm passes?
(a) Everything gets very quiet.
(b) It gets as dark as night outside.
(c) The wind whips up from the opposite direction.
(d) The sun suddenly appears.
4. How old is Steinbeck at the time that he starts on his journey?
5. What is the subject about which Steinbeck is noted for writing?
6. When does Steinbeck plan to set off on his journey?
(a) The day after New Year's
(b) The day after Labor Day
(c) The day after Christmas
(d) The day after the Fourth of July
7. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
(a) He steers it out of the bay.
(b) He sends out S.O.S. messages.
(c) He hoists up the anchors.
(d) He refinishes the interior.
8. What material is everything in the motel made of, with the exception of the bedding and curtains?
9. With what was the vehicle outfitted?
(a) A stereo system
(b) A mattress on the floor
(c) A GPS system
(d) A CB radio
10. What does Steinbeck say about the journey he is about to take?
(a) It is much the same as all journeys that anyone takes.
(b) It is something that he is dreading.
(c) It is the trip of a lifetime.
(d) It is a very daunting proposition.
11. Where does Steinbeck stay in a motel on his second night?
12. What does Steinbeck think about as he packs the camper?
(a) The strong desire in everyone to do what he is about to do
(b) Whether his wife will be mad at him
(c) What kind of weather he will encounter
(d) Whether he will be back in time for Christmas
13. What kind of dog is Charley?
(a) Jack Russell Terrier
(c) German Shephard
14. The same person going over the same route twice experiences _______________________________.
(a) frequent flyer miles
(b) deja vu
(c) jet lag
(d) two distinctly different journeys
15. How do New Englanders talk?
(a) In single words or short phrases
(b) They answer questions with questions
(c) In rambling speech patterns
(d) In long, drawn out sentences
Short Answer Questions
1. What damages do Fayre Eleyne and Rocinante sustain?
2. What does Steinbeck think as the date for his departure approaches?
3. What does Steinbeck notice that surrounds the small towns and villages?
4. What is the name of Steinbeck's boat?
5. What does Steinbeck call this state of journeying?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)