|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What infuriates Steinbeck about a neighbor's boat anchoring prior to the storm?
(a) They don't use any anchor.
(b) They have used his anchor without preparation.
(c) They anchor too far away from shore.
(d) Their amateurish preparation endangers his boat.
2. What has Steinbeck become over the years?
(a) An expert on travel
(b) A cantankerous old man
(c) A famous, contemporary writer
(d) A sentimental fool
3. Why does Mrs. Steinbeck shout at Steinbeck?
(a) She is frustrated by his lack of attention.
(b) He heads out into the storm to tend to his boat.
(c) He has been knocked unconscious.
(d) He cannot hear her over the sound of the wind.
4. What does Steinbeck buy at roadside markets?
(a) Fresh vegetables
(b) Fresh pies
(c) Apples and hard apple cider
5. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the family?
(c) Rare cognac
6. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
(a) A sailor
(b) A gas station attendant
(c) A waitress
(d) A policeman
7. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
(a) Cleaning your gun
(b) The taste of wild game
(c) The clothes you have to wear
(d) It gets too cold
8. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
(b) antique shops
(c) bowling alleys
9. What does Steinbeck think old age will do?
(a) Increase his curiosity
(b) Get him travel discounts
(c) Make travel impossible
(d) Give him more spare time
10. Of what does the sight of a nuclear submarine remind Steinbeck?
(a) A story he once wrote
(b) His fear of enclosed places
(c) His days in the navy
(d) The Cold War
11. What book does Steinbeck read as he drinks coffee at a rest area?
(a) Quo Vadis
(b) The Hawaiians
(c) East of Eden
(d) The Spectator
12. What is the unspoken motivation for Steinbeck's decision to make the trip?
(a) He wants to surprise his college roommate.
(b) He needs some time alone to think.
(c) He made a bet with himself to do it by his 60th birthday.
(d) He is growing older and may not get another chance.
13. According to Steinbeck, _____________ is the greater part of recognition.
(a) news coverage
(b) a handsome face
14. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
(a) The urge to be somewhere else.
(b) The urge to be someone else.
(c) The urge to be an artist.
(d) The urge to be an athlete.
15. What does Steinbeck pack that will never be used?
(a) 150 magazines
(b) 150 postcards
(c) 5 decks of cards
(d) 150 lbs. of books
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck name his camper?
2. Why does Steinbeck essentially ignore his doctors' advice?
3. What does Steinbeck say about the journey he is about to take?
4. What does Steinbeck call this state of journeying?
5. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)