|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Steinbeck calm down after the storm?
(a) He plays golf.
(b) He takes a hot shower.
(c) He takes a nap.
(d) He drinks a big glass of whiskey.
2. Who wants to accompany Steinbeck on the trip?
(a) Steinbeck's son
(b) A neighbor boy
(c) Mrs. Steinbeck
(d) Steinbeck's lawyer
3. How do New Englanders talk?
(a) In long, drawn out sentences
(b) In rambling speech patterns
(c) They answer questions with questions
(d) In single words or short phrases
4. What is the subject about which Steinbeck is noted for writing?
5. What is the first prerequisite for travelers?
(a) A reason for traveling
(b) Luggage on wheels
(c) Good walking shoes
(d) A passport
6. What is Steinbeck's destination on the next day?
(a) The northernmost county of Maine
(c) Niagara Falls
7. Where does Steinbeck park his camper on his first night?
(a) At a roadside rest stop
(b) At a trailer park
(c) Near a farmer's creek
(d) In a woods
8. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
(a) Many changes
(b) A sense of pride
(c) Wealth and prosperity
(d) Overwhelming sadness
9. Of what does the sight of a nuclear submarine remind Steinbeck?
(a) A story he once wrote
(b) His fear of enclosed places
(c) The Cold War
(d) His days in the navy
10. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
(a) A sophisticated writer
(b) An adequate writer
(c) A simple storyteller
(d) An American writer
11. What does Steinbeck mean by a "blown-in-the-glass" bum?
(a) A traveler who is as fragile as glass.
(b) A traveler who works as a glassblower.
(c) A traveler who drinks too much.
(d) A traveler who will only drink out of crystal.
12. What kind of dog is Charley?
(b) German Shephard
(d) Jack Russell Terrier
13. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
(a) Another person would change the experience from observation to interactivity.
(b) Another person would probably change the itinerary.
(c) Another person would talk too much.
(d) Another person probably wouldn't like the radio stations he likes.
14. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
(a) He hoists up the anchors.
(b) He refinishes the interior.
(c) He steers it out of the bay.
(d) He sends out S.O.S. messages.
15. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
(a) The taste of wild game
(b) Cleaning your gun
(c) The clothes you have to wear
(d) It gets too cold
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Steinbeck become over the years?
2. What material is everything in the motel made of, with the exception of the bedding and curtains?
3. What is the heritage of the Canadians?
4. What does Steinbeck think as the date for his departure approaches?
5. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)