|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Steinbeck's friend made a reservation for him?
(a) Deer Isle
(b) Niagara Falls
(d) Mt. Killington
2. Who are the only ones who will understand the inability to control a trip?
(a) Those who plan trips for a business
(b) Those who know about the nature of journeys
(c) Those who work as tour guides
(d) Those who sell travel packages
3. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
(a) In Ontario
(b) In the Green Mountains
(c) In the White Mountains
(d) On the Connecticut River
4. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the family?
(c) Rare cognac
5. In what vehicle did Steinbeck travel on this trip?
(a) An old school bus
(b) An old VW van
(c) An old bakery truck
(d) An old pickup truck
6. What does Steinbeck buy at roadside markets?
(a) Fresh vegetables
(b) Fresh pies
(d) Apples and hard apple cider
7. What does Steinbeck invite the Canadian family to do?
(a) View the inside of his camper
(b) Have dinner with him
(c) Play cards
(d) Sing around a campfire
8. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
(a) Many changes
(b) Overwhelming sadness
(c) A sense of pride
(d) Wealth and prosperity
9. With what was the vehicle outfitted?
(a) A stereo system
(b) A CB radio
(c) A mattress on the floor
(d) A GPS system
10. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
(a) A sophisticated writer
(b) An American writer
(c) An adequate writer
(d) A simple storyteller
11. What is Steinbeck's destination on the next day?
(b) The northernmost county of Maine
(d) Niagara Falls
12. What does Steinbeck mean by a "blown-in-the-glass" bum?
(a) A traveler who is as fragile as glass.
(b) A traveler who drinks too much.
(c) A traveler who will only drink out of crystal.
(d) A traveler who works as a glassblower.
13. Steinbeck writes, "We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; _______________________
(a) we enter into a new dimension."
(b) we take a journey."
(c) a trip takes us."
(d) we define destinies."
14. What kind of dog is Charley?
(c) German Shephard
(d) Jack Russell Terrier
15. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking the trip?
(a) Visit national monuments
(b) Revisit the country he once knew
(c) Find old college buddies
(d) Get out of town for awhile
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steinbeck calm down after the storm?
2. What is the tone of this book?
3. What material is everything in the motel made of, with the exception of the bedding and curtains?
4. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
5. What do some of the migrant families use for shelter?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)