|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
(a) Cleaning your gun
(b) It gets too cold
(c) The clothes you have to wear
(d) The taste of wild game
2. How is Steinbeck able to travel unnoticed?
(a) He dyes his hair black.
(b) He gains a lot of weight.
(c) People do not expect famous authors to be traveling in a trailer with a dog for a companion.
(d) He wears a wig and sunglasses.
3. What book does Steinbeck read as he drinks coffee at a rest area?
(a) Quo Vadis
(b) East of Eden
(c) The Hawaiians
(d) The Spectator
4. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
5. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
(a) In Ontario
(b) In the Green Mountains
(c) In the White Mountains
(d) On the Connecticut River
6. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
(a) Another person would probably change the itinerary.
(b) Another person would change the experience from observation to interactivity.
(c) Another person probably wouldn't like the radio stations he likes.
(d) Another person would talk too much.
7. Where has Steinbeck's friend made a reservation for him?
(a) Niagara Falls
(b) Deer Isle
(d) Mt. Killington
8. What does Steinbeck pack that will never be used?
(a) 150 magazines
(b) 5 decks of cards
(c) 150 lbs. of books
(d) 150 postcards
9. What has Steinbeck become over the years?
(a) A cantankerous old man
(b) An expert on travel
(c) A famous, contemporary writer
(d) A sentimental fool
10. Who wants to accompany Steinbeck on the trip?
(a) Steinbeck's son
(b) A neighbor boy
(c) Steinbeck's lawyer
(d) Mrs. Steinbeck
11. What is the unspoken motivation for Steinbeck's decision to make the trip?
(a) He is growing older and may not get another chance.
(b) He wants to surprise his college roommate.
(c) He made a bet with himself to do it by his 60th birthday.
(d) He needs some time alone to think.
12. What does Steinbeck stock up on at a country store?
(a) Cold cuts
(b) Salty snacks
(c) Cookies and cupcakes
(d) Liquor and beer
13. Where was Charley trained?
(c) New Orleans
(d) New York
14. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
15. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
2. What does Steinbeck think the waitress is capable of doing?
3. What does the answer to #80 remind Steinbeck of?
4. Where does Steinbeck go to church on his last morning in New England?
5. How does Steinbeck calm down after the storm?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)