|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck mean by a "blown-in-the-glass" bum?
(a) A traveler who will only drink out of crystal.
(b) A traveler who drinks too much.
(c) A traveler who works as a glassblower.
(d) A traveler who is as fragile as glass.
2. What does Steinbeck name his camper?
3. What does Steinbeck notice that surrounds the small towns and villages?
(a) Garbage dumps and junk yards
(b) Car dealerships
(c) Fast food restaurants
(d) Industrial parks
4. Of what is Steinbeck an avid collector?
(d) traffic signs
5. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
(a) Dog food
(b) Cured bacon
(c) Smoked ham
(d) Fresh eggs
6. How old is Steinbeck at the time that he starts on his journey?
7. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
(a) Cleaning your gun
(b) The taste of wild game
(c) It gets too cold
(d) The clothes you have to wear
8. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
(a) Another person would talk too much.
(b) Another person probably wouldn't like the radio stations he likes.
(c) Another person would change the experience from observation to interactivity.
(d) Another person would probably change the itinerary.
9. What material is everything in the motel made of, with the exception of the bedding and curtains?
10. How does Charley let Steinbeck know he wants something?
(a) He barks five times.
(b) He howls.
(c) He runs in circles.
(d) He makes a sound through his teeth.
11. Where does Steinbeck stay in a motel on his second night?
12. How do New Englanders talk?
(a) They answer questions with questions
(b) In rambling speech patterns
(c) In single words or short phrases
(d) In long, drawn out sentences
13. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
14. In what direction does Steinbeck head on his first day?
15. To what two cities does Steinbeck often fly?
(a) Chicago and Denver
(b) Chicago and San Francisco
(c) Chicago and Seattle
(d) Atlanta and San Francisco
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the inn Steinbeck finds?
2. Who are the only ones who will understand the inability to control a trip?
3. In what vehicle did Steinbeck travel on this trip?
4. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
5. What kind of dog does Charley encounter at the rest area?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)