|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Steinbeck calm down after the storm?
(a) He drinks a big glass of whiskey.
(b) He plays golf.
(c) He takes a nap.
(d) He takes a hot shower.
2. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
(a) A sense of pride
(b) Wealth and prosperity
(c) Many changes
(d) Overwhelming sadness
3. What is wrong with Steinbeck's travel to these cities?
(a) It is a boring routine.
(b) It takes too much time out of his schedule.
(c) It is getting more and more expensive to make the trips.
(d) It is not the great expanse of the entire United States.
4. What does Steinbeck think about as he packs the camper?
(a) Whether his wife will be mad at him
(b) What kind of weather he will encounter
(c) The strong desire in everyone to do what he is about to do
(d) Whether he will be back in time for Christmas
5. How is Steinbeck able to travel unnoticed?
(a) He gains a lot of weight.
(b) He dyes his hair black.
(c) People do not expect famous authors to be traveling in a trailer with a dog for a companion.
(d) He wears a wig and sunglasses.
6. When does Steinbeck plan to set off on his journey?
(a) The day after the Fourth of July
(b) The day after Christmas
(c) The day after New Year's
(d) The day after Labor Day
7. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
(a) He steers it out of the bay.
(b) He hoists up the anchors.
(c) He sends out S.O.S. messages.
(d) He refinishes the interior.
8. Where has Steinbeck's friend made a reservation for him?
(b) Niagara Falls
(c) Mt. Killington
(d) Deer Isle
9. How do New Englanders talk?
(a) In rambling speech patterns
(b) In long, drawn out sentences
(c) They answer questions with questions
(d) In single words or short phrases
10. What do Steinbeck's friends warn him about regarding this trip?
(a) That he will get bored very quickly.
(b) That he will not be able to travel incognito.
(c) That he will not have the perseverance to complete it.
(d) That he will realize that his life at home was preferable.
11. Where does Steinbeck go to church on his last morning in New England?
(d) New Hampshire
12. What is the name of Steinbeck's boat?
(b) Smooth Sailing
(c) East of Eden
(d) Fayre Eleyne
13. What does the answer to #80 remind Steinbeck of?
(a) Avalon in the King Arthur legends
(b) The Bahamas
(c) The Everglades
(d) His hometown in Salinas
14. What does Steinbeck do to Charley to protect him in the deer hunting region of inner Maine?
(a) Boards him in a kennel
(b) Makes him stay in the camper
(c) Puts a bell around his neck
(d) Ties red tissue paper around his tail
15. How many years ago did Steinbeck travel the United States?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of this book?
2. What have the doctors advised Steinbeck to do?
3. What has Steinbeck become over the years?
4. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
5. In this book, Steinbeck's style is neither ______________ in nature nor completely ________________.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)