Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the final prerequisite for travelers?
(a) Decide upon directions and destinations
(b) Purchase traveler's checks
(c) Confirm hotel reservations
(d) Get the car serviced
2. What material is everything in the attached diner made of, including the waitress' apron?
3. Where does Steinbeck live?
(b) New York
4. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
(a) A gas station attendant
(b) A waitress
(c) A policeman
(d) A sailor
5. What does Steinbeck say about the journey he is about to take?
(a) It is much the same as all journeys that anyone takes.
(b) It is the trip of a lifetime.
(c) It is something that he is dreading.
(d) It is a very daunting proposition.
6. According to Steinbeck, every journey has its own __________________.
7. What infuriates Steinbeck about a neighbor's boat anchoring prior to the storm?
(a) They have used his anchor without preparation.
(b) They anchor too far away from shore.
(c) Their amateurish preparation endangers his boat.
(d) They don't use any anchor.
8. What happens to delay Steinbeck's plans?
(a) His wife needs emergency surgery.
(b) Hurricane Donna hits.
(c) The camper's tires go flat.
(d) A blizzard hits New York.
9. How do New Englanders talk?
(a) In long, drawn out sentences
(b) They answer questions with questions
(c) In single words or short phrases
(d) In rambling speech patterns
10. What does Steinbeck think as the date for his departure approaches?
(a) Something will happen to delay or cancel the trip.
(b) He should reconsider his itinerary.
(c) He might consider taking a companion.
(d) He does not have enough film.
11. Why does Steinbeck essentially ignore his doctors' advice?
(a) They have been wrong before.
(b) He wants a second opinion.
(c) He wants quality in his life, not necessarily quantity of years.
(d) He thinks he knows better than the doctors.
12. What does Steinbeck think of the hunters?
(a) They will shoot at anything that moves.
(b) They are the real men in this country.
(c) They are the best guys you'll ever meet.
(d) They stay out too long.
13. What have people always told Steinbeck about his wanderlust?
(a) He is crazy to even think about it.
(b) He will grow out of it.
(c) Everybody has it to some degree.
(d) He needs to indulge it.
14. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
(a) A siren
(b) A trick horn
(c) A loudspeaker
(d) Flashing lights
15. In what direction does Steinbeck head on his first day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
2. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
3. What happens to the neighboring boats after Steinbeck cuts the rope holding them together?
4. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
5. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)