|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Steinbeck's friends warn him about regarding this trip?
(a) That he will get bored very quickly.
(b) That he will not be able to travel incognito.
(c) That he will realize that his life at home was preferable.
(d) That he will not have the perseverance to complete it.
2. What have the doctors advised Steinbeck to do?
(a) Slow down, watch his diet and stop drinking
(b) Take a nap every day
(c) Take cholesterol-lowing medication
(d) Walk two miles every day
3. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
(a) The urge to be an artist.
(b) The urge to be somewhere else.
(c) The urge to be an athlete.
(d) The urge to be someone else.
4. How many years ago did Steinbeck travel the United States?
5. Of what does the sight of a nuclear submarine remind Steinbeck?
(a) The Cold War
(b) His fear of enclosed places
(c) His days in the navy
(d) A story he once wrote
6. Where does Steinbeck stay in a motel on his second night?
7. What has Steinbeck become over the years?
(a) A sentimental fool
(b) An expert on travel
(c) A famous, contemporary writer
(d) A cantankerous old man
8. What happens to the neighboring boats after Steinbeck cuts the rope holding them together?
(a) They crash into Steinbeck's boat.
(b) They capsize.
(c) They blow onto a mud bank.
(d) They blow out to sea.
9. What have people always told Steinbeck about his wanderlust?
(a) He is crazy to even think about it.
(b) He needs to indulge it.
(c) He will grow out of it.
(d) Everybody has it to some degree.
10. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
(a) A loudspeaker
(b) Flashing lights
(c) A siren
(d) A trick horn
11. What is the heritage of the Canadians?
12. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
(a) In Ontario
(b) In the Green Mountains
(c) On the Connecticut River
(d) In the White Mountains
13. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
(a) bowling alleys
(d) antique shops
14. What is Steinbeck's destination on the next day?
(a) The northernmost county of Maine
(b) Niagara Falls
15. What does Steinbeck share with the adults in the family?
(c) Rare cognac
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the only ones who will understand the inability to control a trip?
2. What is the subject about which Steinbeck is noted for writing?
3. In what direction does Steinbeck head on his first day?
4. Where was Charley trained?
5. What book does Steinbeck read as he drinks coffee at a rest area?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)