|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the final prerequisite for travelers?
(a) Confirm hotel reservations
(b) Decide upon directions and destinations
(c) Purchase traveler's checks
(d) Get the car serviced
2. Why does Mrs. Steinbeck shout at Steinbeck?
(a) He has been knocked unconscious.
(b) He heads out into the storm to tend to his boat.
(c) He cannot hear her over the sound of the wind.
(d) She is frustrated by his lack of attention.
3. What have the doctors advised Steinbeck to do?
(a) Slow down, watch his diet and stop drinking
(b) Walk two miles every day
(c) Take a nap every day
(d) Take cholesterol-lowing medication
4. What material is everything in the attached diner made of, including the waitress' apron?
5. What does Steinbeck notice that surrounds the small towns and villages?
(a) Car dealerships
(b) Garbage dumps and junk yards
(c) Industrial parks
(d) Fast food restaurants
6. How does Steinbeck meet a Canadian family?
(a) He is in the motel room next to theirs.
(b) His camper is parked next to theirs.
(c) They meet at a diner.
(d) He follows Charley to the family's camp.
7. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
8. How old is Steinbeck at the time that he starts on his journey?
9. What is the unspoken motivation for Steinbeck's decision to make the trip?
(a) He made a bet with himself to do it by his 60th birthday.
(b) He wants to surprise his college roommate.
(c) He is growing older and may not get another chance.
(d) He needs some time alone to think.
10. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
(a) An American writer
(b) A sophisticated writer
(c) An adequate writer
(d) A simple storyteller
11. What does Steinbeck pack that will never be used?
(a) 150 lbs. of books
(b) 150 postcards
(c) 150 magazines
(d) 5 decks of cards
12. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
(a) The wind forces in a window.
(b) The roof is blown away.
(c) It is completely demolished.
(d) A tree crashes onto the roof.
13. What does Steinbeck do to Charley to protect him in the deer hunting region of inner Maine?
(a) Ties red tissue paper around his tail
(b) Boards him in a kennel
(c) Makes him stay in the camper
(d) Puts a bell around his neck
14. What does Steinbeck see when he takes Charley for a walk?
(a) A fire at a gas station
(b) The Aurora Borealis
(c) Two lovers in a car
(d) A Little League baseball game
15. What kind of dog does Charley encounter at the rest area?
(c) Jack Russell Terrier
Short Answer Questions
1. In what vehicle did Steinbeck travel on this trip?
2. What does Steinbeck name his camper?
3. When does Steinbeck plan to set off on his journey?
4. With what was the vehicle outfitted?
5. What happens when the eye of the storm passes?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)