Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck hope to accomplish on the trip?
(a) Reacquaint himself with America's people and countryside
(b) Beat the coast-to-coast record
(c) Chart the gas mileage for his vehicle
(d) Find a new place to live
2. Where does Steinbeck re-anchor his boat?
(a) At a new marina
(b) At the next pier
(c) A hundred yards into the bay
(d) Closer to the coastline
3. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
4. What infuriates Steinbeck about a neighbor's boat anchoring prior to the storm?
(a) They have used his anchor without preparation.
(b) They anchor too far away from shore.
(c) Their amateurish preparation endangers his boat.
(d) They don't use any anchor.
5. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
(a) Cured bacon
(b) Dog food
(c) Fresh eggs
(d) Smoked ham
6. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
(a) On the Connecticut River
(b) In the White Mountains
(c) In the Green Mountains
(d) In Ontario
7. Where does Steinbeck go to church on his last morning in New England?
(a) New Hampshire
8. In this book, Steinbeck's style is neither ______________ in nature nor completely ________________.
(a) journalistic, poetic
(b) crafty, entertaining
(c) informative, ascetic
(d) entertaining, boring
9. Of what is Steinbeck an avid collector?
(c) traffic signs
10. When does Steinbeck plan to set off on his journey?
(a) The day after Labor Day
(b) The day after New Year's
(c) The day after the Fourth of July
(d) The day after Christmas
11. What happens when the eye of the storm passes?
(a) It gets as dark as night outside.
(b) The wind whips up from the opposite direction.
(c) Everything gets very quiet.
(d) The sun suddenly appears.
12. How many years ago did Steinbeck travel the United States?
13. What is the heritage of the Canadians?
14. How old is Steinbeck at the time that he starts on his journey?
15. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
(a) An American writer
(b) A sophisticated writer
(c) An adequate writer
(d) A simple storyteller
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog does Charley encounter at the rest area?
2. What happens to the neighboring boats after Steinbeck cuts the rope holding them together?
3. What have people always told Steinbeck about his wanderlust?
4. Where does Steinbeck live?
5. In what vehicle did Steinbeck travel on this trip?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)