|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does the sight of a nuclear submarine remind Steinbeck?
(a) His days in the navy
(b) The Cold War
(c) His fear of enclosed places
(d) A story he once wrote
2. In this book, Steinbeck's style is neither ______________ in nature nor completely ________________.
(a) informative, ascetic
(b) crafty, entertaining
(c) entertaining, boring
(d) journalistic, poetic
3. Where does Steinbeck go to church on his last morning in New England?
(a) New Hampshire
4. What has Steinbeck become over the years?
(a) An expert on travel
(b) A famous, contemporary writer
(c) A cantankerous old man
(d) A sentimental fool
5. What does the answer to #80 remind Steinbeck of?
(a) The Everglades
(b) Avalon in the King Arthur legends
(c) His hometown in Salinas
(d) The Bahamas
6. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
(a) Another person would talk too much.
(b) Another person would probably change the itinerary.
(c) Another person would change the experience from observation to interactivity.
(d) Another person probably wouldn't like the radio stations he likes.
7. What does Steinbeck learn about all the writing materials he packs?
(a) He needs every word he writes down to write later.
(b) He needs sketchy notes just to jog his memory.
(c) He never writes from notes taken while traveling alone.
(d) He needs comprehenisve notes because he is so detail-oriented.
8. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
9. What does Steinbeck think the waitress is capable of doing?
(a) Being a gymnast
(b) Becoming a pastry chef
(c) Singing in an all girls' band
(d) Sucking all the joy from life within her range
10. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
(a) Cleaning your gun
(b) The taste of wild game
(c) It gets too cold
(d) The clothes you have to wear
11. What does Steinbeck buy at roadside markets?
(a) Fresh pies
(b) Fresh vegetables
(c) Apples and hard apple cider
12. Where does Steinbeck park his camper on his first night?
(a) At a trailer park
(b) Near a farmer's creek
(c) In a woods
(d) At a roadside rest stop
13. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
(a) An American writer
(b) A sophisticated writer
(c) An adequate writer
(d) A simple storyteller
14. What do some of the migrant families use for shelter?
(a) Large canvas tents
(c) Pup tents
15. Where was Charley trained?
(c) New York
(d) New Orleans
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck do when he breaks camp the next morning?
2. What is the name of Steinbeck's boat?
3. What does Steinbeck do to Charley to protect him in the deer hunting region of inner Maine?
4. What is the genre of this book?
5. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)