|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What damages do Fayre Eleyne and Rocinante sustain?
(a) Broken windows
(b) Major body damage
(c) Just a few light scratches
(d) Motor damage
2. With what was the vehicle outfitted?
(a) A mattress on the floor
(b) A CB radio
(c) A GPS system
(d) A stereo system
3. Who are the only ones who will understand the inability to control a trip?
(a) Those who work as tour guides
(b) Those who sell travel packages
(c) Those who know about the nature of journeys
(d) Those who plan trips for a business
4. How is Steinbeck able to travel unnoticed?
(a) He dyes his hair black.
(b) He wears a wig and sunglasses.
(c) People do not expect famous authors to be traveling in a trailer with a dog for a companion.
(d) He gains a lot of weight.
5. What does Steinbeck think as the date for his departure approaches?
(a) He does not have enough film.
(b) He should reconsider his itinerary.
(c) He might consider taking a companion.
(d) Something will happen to delay or cancel the trip.
6. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
(a) In the Green Mountains
(b) In the White Mountains
(c) In Ontario
(d) On the Connecticut River
7. To what does Steinbeck compare the futility of trying to control a trip?
(a) Trying to control a marriage
(b) Trying to shoot fish in a barrel
(c) Trying to herd cats
(d) Trying to swim upstream
8. What does Steinbeck stock up on at a country store?
(a) Cookies and cupcakes
(b) Liquor and beer
(c) Salty snacks
(d) Cold cuts
9. What material is everything in the attached diner made of, including the waitress' apron?
10. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
(a) Another person would talk too much.
(b) Another person would probably change the itinerary.
(c) Another person would change the experience from observation to interactivity.
(d) Another person probably wouldn't like the radio stations he likes.
11. When does Steinbeck plan to set off on his journey?
(a) The day after Christmas
(b) The day after New Year's
(c) The day after Labor Day
(d) The day after the Fourth of July
12. Of what is Steinbeck an avid collector?
(c) traffic signs
13. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
(a) A tree crashes onto the roof.
(b) The wind forces in a window.
(c) It is completely demolished.
(d) The roof is blown away.
14. What does Steinbeck call this state of journeying?
15. How does Charley let Steinbeck know he wants something?
(a) He runs in circles.
(b) He barks five times.
(c) He makes a sound through his teeth.
(d) He howls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the sight of a nuclear submarine remind Steinbeck?
2. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking the trip?
3. What is the final prerequisite for travelers?
4. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
5. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)