|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what direction does Steinbeck head on his first day?
2. What does Steinbeck hope to accomplish on the trip?
(a) Chart the gas mileage for his vehicle
(b) Reacquaint himself with America's people and countryside
(c) Beat the coast-to-coast record
(d) Find a new place to live
3. What does Steinbeck buy at roadside markets?
(b) Apples and hard apple cider
(c) Fresh pies
(d) Fresh vegetables
4. What is the first prerequisite for travelers?
(a) Luggage on wheels
(b) Good walking shoes
(c) A reason for traveling
(d) A passport
5. What material is everything in the attached diner made of, including the waitress' apron?
6. What does Steinbeck do to Charley to protect him in the deer hunting region of inner Maine?
(a) Makes him stay in the camper
(b) Puts a bell around his neck
(c) Ties red tissue paper around his tail
(d) Boards him in a kennel
7. Steinbeck writes, "We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; _______________________
(a) a trip takes us."
(b) we enter into a new dimension."
(c) we define destinies."
(d) we take a journey."
8. What is the subject about which Steinbeck is noted for writing?
9. Where does Steinbeck live?
(a) New York
10. What kind of dog is Charley?
(b) Jack Russell Terrier
(c) German Shephard
11. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
(a) bowling alleys
(d) antique shops
12. When does Steinbeck plan to set off on his journey?
(a) The day after Christmas
(b) The day after New Year's
(c) The day after the Fourth of July
(d) The day after Labor Day
13. What does Steinbeck think old age will do?
(a) Increase his curiosity
(b) Get him travel discounts
(c) Make travel impossible
(d) Give him more spare time
14. Where does Steinbeck re-anchor his boat?
(a) Closer to the coastline
(b) At a new marina
(c) At the next pier
(d) A hundred yards into the bay
15. What is the genre of this book?
(b) Travel memoir
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steinbeck calm down after the storm?
2. To what two cities does Steinbeck often fly?
3. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
4. What happens to the neighboring boats after Steinbeck cuts the rope holding them together?
5. What material is everything in the motel made of, with the exception of the bedding and curtains?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)