|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this book, Steinbeck's style is neither ______________ in nature nor completely ________________.
(a) crafty, entertaining
(b) informative, ascetic
(c) journalistic, poetic
(d) entertaining, boring
2. What happens when the eye of the storm passes?
(a) It gets as dark as night outside.
(b) The wind whips up from the opposite direction.
(c) The sun suddenly appears.
(d) Everything gets very quiet.
3. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
(a) The urge to be an athlete.
(b) The urge to be an artist.
(c) The urge to be somewhere else.
(d) The urge to be someone else.
4. What does Steinbeck name his camper?
5. What does the answer to #80 remind Steinbeck of?
(a) The Bahamas
(b) His hometown in Salinas
(c) The Everglades
(d) Avalon in the King Arthur legends
6. How does Steinbeck meet a Canadian family?
(a) They meet at a diner.
(b) His camper is parked next to theirs.
(c) He is in the motel room next to theirs.
(d) He follows Charley to the family's camp.
7. What does Steinbeck stock up on at a country store?
(a) Salty snacks
(b) Cold cuts
(c) Cookies and cupcakes
(d) Liquor and beer
8. Where does Steinbeck live?
(c) New York
9. What has Steinbeck become over the years?
(a) A sentimental fool
(b) An expert on travel
(c) A famous, contemporary writer
(d) A cantankerous old man
10. Why does Mrs. Steinbeck shout at Steinbeck?
(a) He heads out into the storm to tend to his boat.
(b) She is frustrated by his lack of attention.
(c) He cannot hear her over the sound of the wind.
(d) He has been knocked unconscious.
11. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
(a) Cured bacon
(b) Fresh eggs
(c) Smoked ham
(d) Dog food
12. What does Steinbeck invite the Canadian family to do?
(a) Play cards
(b) Have dinner with him
(c) View the inside of his camper
(d) Sing around a campfire
13. To what two cities does Steinbeck often fly?
(a) Chicago and Denver
(b) Atlanta and San Francisco
(c) Chicago and San Francisco
(d) Chicago and Seattle
14. Of what is Steinbeck an avid collector?
(a) traffic signs
15. How many years ago did Steinbeck travel the United States?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the traveler's second prerequisite for traveling?
2. To what does Steinbeck compare the futility of trying to control a trip?
3. Where was Charley trained?
4. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
5. The same person going over the same route twice experiences _______________________________.
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)