|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Steinbeck compare the futility of trying to control a trip?
(a) Trying to control a marriage
(b) Trying to herd cats
(c) Trying to shoot fish in a barrel
(d) Trying to swim upstream
2. Where does Steinbeck park his camper on his first night?
(a) At a roadside rest stop
(b) Near a farmer's creek
(c) In a woods
(d) At a trailer park
3. What book does Steinbeck read as he drinks coffee at a rest area?
(a) The Hawaiians
(b) Quo Vadis
(c) East of Eden
(d) The Spectator
4. What is unusual about the inn Steinbeck finds?
(a) It is not open on weekends.
(b) Its neon sign flashes that it is open and has vacancies but no one is there.
(c) It has valet parking
(d) It is not in any guidebook.
5. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
6. What material is everything in the motel made of, with the exception of the bedding and curtains?
7. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
(a) Another person would change the experience from observation to interactivity.
(b) Another person probably wouldn't like the radio stations he likes.
(c) Another person would talk too much.
(d) Another person would probably change the itinerary.
8. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
(a) Smoked ham
(b) Fresh eggs
(c) Dog food
(d) Cured bacon
9. Where has Steinbeck's friend made a reservation for him?
(a) Niagara Falls
(b) Deer Isle
(c) Mt. Killington
10. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
11. Where does Steinbeck go to church on his last morning in New England?
(d) New Hampshire
12. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
(a) antique shops
(c) bowling alleys
13. The same person going over the same route twice experiences _______________________________.
(a) jet lag
(b) deja vu
(c) frequent flyer miles
(d) two distinctly different journeys
14. What do some of the migrant families use for shelter?
(c) Pup tents
(d) Large canvas tents
15. Where does Steinbeck stay in a motel on his second night?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do New Englanders talk?
2. How old is Steinbeck at the time that he starts on his journey?
3. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
4. Where does Steinbeck re-anchor his boat?
5. What does Steinbeck pack that will never be used?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)