|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Steinbeck become over the years?
(a) A famous, contemporary writer
(b) A sentimental fool
(c) A cantankerous old man
(d) An expert on travel
2. What does Steinbeck think old age will do?
(a) Increase his curiosity
(b) Make travel impossible
(c) Get him travel discounts
(d) Give him more spare time
3. What does Steinbeck think of the hunters?
(a) They are the best guys you'll ever meet.
(b) They stay out too long.
(c) They will shoot at anything that moves.
(d) They are the real men in this country.
4. Where does Steinbeck go to church on his last morning in New England?
(a) New Hampshire
5. What is the tone of this book?
6. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
(a) They are too nasal.
(b) They talk too fast.
(c) They are very clipped.
(d) They mumble their words.
7. Steinbeck writes, "We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; _______________________
(a) a trip takes us."
(b) we define destinies."
(c) we take a journey."
(d) we enter into a new dimension."
8. With what gadget is Rocinante equipped?
(a) Flashing lights
(b) A trick horn
(c) A loudspeaker
(d) A siren
9. How does Steinbeck calm down after the storm?
(a) He drinks a big glass of whiskey.
(b) He takes a nap.
(c) He takes a hot shower.
(d) He plays golf.
10. What material is everything in the attached diner made of, including the waitress' apron?
11. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
12. What does Steinbeck call this state of journeying?
13. What does Steinbeck stock up on at a country store?
(a) Salty snacks
(b) Cookies and cupcakes
(c) Liquor and beer
(d) Cold cuts
14. What happens to the neighboring boats after Steinbeck cuts the rope holding them together?
(a) They blow onto a mud bank.
(b) They crash into Steinbeck's boat.
(c) They blow out to sea.
(d) They capsize.
15. What kind of dog does Charley encounter at the rest area?
(b) Jack Russell Terrier
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Canadians migrate over the border to pick?
2. What does Steinbeck say about the journey he is about to take?
3. What is the final prerequisite for travelers?
4. What happens to delay Steinbeck's plans?
5. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)