|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wants to accompany Steinbeck on the trip?
(a) Mrs. Steinbeck
(b) Steinbeck's son
(c) A neighbor boy
(d) Steinbeck's lawyer
2. What does Steinbeck stock up on at a country store?
(a) Cold cuts
(b) Salty snacks
(c) Liquor and beer
(d) Cookies and cupcakes
3. What is unusual about the inn Steinbeck finds?
(a) It is not in any guidebook.
(b) Its neon sign flashes that it is open and has vacancies but no one is there.
(c) It has valet parking
(d) It is not open on weekends.
4. What does Steinbeck think the waitress is capable of doing?
(a) Becoming a pastry chef
(b) Singing in an all girls' band
(c) Sucking all the joy from life within her range
(d) Being a gymnast
5. How old is Steinbeck at the time that he starts on his journey?
6. Where does Steinbeck stay in a motel on his second night?
7. What is the final prerequisite for travelers?
(a) Confirm hotel reservations
(b) Purchase traveler's checks
(c) Get the car serviced
(d) Decide upon directions and destinations
8. Where does Steinbeck go to church on his last morning in New England?
(d) New Hampshire
9. Where was Charley trained?
(b) New Orleans
(d) New York
10. How is Steinbeck able to travel unnoticed?
(a) People do not expect famous authors to be traveling in a trailer with a dog for a companion.
(b) He wears a wig and sunglasses.
(c) He gains a lot of weight.
(d) He dyes his hair black.
11. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking the trip?
(a) Revisit the country he once knew
(b) Visit national monuments
(c) Get out of town for awhile
(d) Find old college buddies
12. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
(a) They are too nasal.
(b) They are very clipped.
(c) They talk too fast.
(d) They mumble their words.
13. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
14. According to Steinbeck, every journey has its own __________________.
15. Where does Steinbeck live?
(a) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck think as the date for his departure approaches?
2. What does Steinbeck pack that will never be used?
3. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
4. What is the traveler's second prerequisite for traveling?
5. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)