|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what direction does Steinbeck head on his first day?
2. Steinbeck sees many ___________________ along his northeast route.
(b) bowling alleys
(c) antique shops
3. How do New Englanders talk?
(a) They answer questions with questions
(b) In rambling speech patterns
(c) In single words or short phrases
(d) In long, drawn out sentences
4. What material is everything in the motel made of, with the exception of the bedding and curtains?
5. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
(a) It gets too cold
(b) Cleaning your gun
(c) The taste of wild game
(d) The clothes you have to wear
6. What does Steinbeck do when he breaks camp the next morning?
(a) Leaves a bottle for a keepsake for the Canadian family
(b) Takes Charley for a run
(c) Throws water on his campfire
(d) Writes a few postcards
7. Who are the only ones who will understand the inability to control a trip?
(a) Those who plan trips for a business
(b) Those who sell travel packages
(c) Those who know about the nature of journeys
(d) Those who work as tour guides
8. What kind of dog is Charley?
(c) Jack Russell Terrier
(d) German Shephard
9. What does the answer to #80 remind Steinbeck of?
(a) The Bahamas
(b) Avalon in the King Arthur legends
(c) The Everglades
(d) His hometown in Salinas
10. What have the doctors advised Steinbeck to do?
(a) Take a nap every day
(b) Walk two miles every day
(c) Slow down, watch his diet and stop drinking
(d) Take cholesterol-lowing medication
11. What does Steinbeck think about as he packs the camper?
(a) Whether he will be back in time for Christmas
(b) The strong desire in everyone to do what he is about to do
(c) What kind of weather he will encounter
(d) Whether his wife will be mad at him
12. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
13. What kind of dog does Charley encounter at the rest area?
(d) Jack Russell Terrier
14. What does Steinbeck invite the Canadian family to do?
(a) View the inside of his camper
(b) Sing around a campfire
(c) Play cards
(d) Have dinner with him
15. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
(a) A policeman
(b) A sailor
(c) A gas station attendant
(d) A waitress
Short Answer Questions
1. In this book, Steinbeck's style is neither ______________ in nature nor completely ________________.
2. What is the genre of this book?
3. Where has Steinbeck's friend made a reservation for him?
4. How does Steinbeck calm down after the storm?
5. What is wrong with Steinbeck's travel to these cities?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)