|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Steinbeck's boat?
(a) Smooth Sailing
(b) East of Eden
(d) Fayre Eleyne
2. What damages do Fayre Eleyne and Rocinante sustain?
(a) Broken windows
(b) Major body damage
(c) Motor damage
(d) Just a few light scratches
3. What does Steinbeck call this state of journeying?
4. What kind of dog is Charley?
(b) German Shephard
(d) Jack Russell Terrier
5. What does Steinbeck hope to accomplish on the trip?
(a) Beat the coast-to-coast record
(b) Reacquaint himself with America's people and countryside
(c) Find a new place to live
(d) Chart the gas mileage for his vehicle
6. What is the final prerequisite for travelers?
(a) Decide upon directions and destinations
(b) Purchase traveler's checks
(c) Confirm hotel reservations
(d) Get the car serviced
7. Where does Steinbeck live?
(a) New York
8. What does Steinbeck mean by a "blown-in-the-glass" bum?
(a) A traveler who works as a glassblower.
(b) A traveler who will only drink out of crystal.
(c) A traveler who is as fragile as glass.
(d) A traveler who drinks too much.
9. What does Steinbeck buy at roadside markets?
(a) Apples and hard apple cider
(c) Fresh vegetables
(d) Fresh pies
10. What does Steinbeck do to Charley to protect him in the deer hunting region of inner Maine?
(a) Puts a bell around his neck
(b) Ties red tissue paper around his tail
(c) Makes him stay in the camper
(d) Boards him in a kennel
11. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
(a) He hoists up the anchors.
(b) He sends out S.O.S. messages.
(c) He steers it out of the bay.
(d) He refinishes the interior.
12. What does Steinbeck see when he takes Charley for a walk?
(a) A fire at a gas station
(b) Two lovers in a car
(c) A Little League baseball game
(d) The Aurora Borealis
13. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking the trip?
(a) Visit national monuments
(b) Revisit the country he once knew
(c) Get out of town for awhile
(d) Find old college buddies
14. What does Steinbeck stock up on at a country store?
(a) Liquor and beer
(b) Cold cuts
(c) Salty snacks
(d) Cookies and cupcakes
15. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
(a) In the Green Mountains
(b) On the Connecticut River
(c) In the White Mountains
(d) In Ontario
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the traveler's second prerequisite for traveling?
2. What does Steinbeck think about as he packs the camper?
3. How old is Steinbeck at the time that he starts on his journey?
4. Who are the only ones who will understand the inability to control a trip?
5. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)