|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the heritage of the Canadians?
2. What kind of dog is Charley?
(c) German Shephard
(d) Jack Russell Terrier
3. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
(a) A gas station attendant
(b) A policeman
(c) A waitress
(d) A sailor
4. What happens to the neighboring boats after Steinbeck cuts the rope holding them together?
(a) They capsize.
(b) They blow out to sea.
(c) They blow onto a mud bank.
(d) They crash into Steinbeck's boat.
5. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
(a) In the Green Mountains
(b) In the White Mountains
(c) In Ontario
(d) On the Connecticut River
6. How is Steinbeck able to travel unnoticed?
(a) People do not expect famous authors to be traveling in a trailer with a dog for a companion.
(b) He wears a wig and sunglasses.
(c) He gains a lot of weight.
(d) He dyes his hair black.
7. How do New Englanders talk?
(a) In single words or short phrases
(b) In long, drawn out sentences
(c) They answer questions with questions
(d) In rambling speech patterns
8. What is Steinbeck's destination on the next day?
(a) Niagara Falls
(b) The northernmost county of Maine
9. What happens when the eye of the storm passes?
(a) It gets as dark as night outside.
(b) Everything gets very quiet.
(c) The sun suddenly appears.
(d) The wind whips up from the opposite direction.
10. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking the trip?
(a) Get out of town for awhile
(b) Find old college buddies
(c) Visit national monuments
(d) Revisit the country he once knew
11. What book does Steinbeck read as he drinks coffee at a rest area?
(a) The Spectator
(b) The Hawaiians
(c) East of Eden
(d) Quo Vadis
12. How does Steinbeck meet a Canadian family?
(a) They meet at a diner.
(b) He follows Charley to the family's camp.
(c) He is in the motel room next to theirs.
(d) His camper is parked next to theirs.
13. What does Steinbeck think is the trouble with New England voices?
(a) They are too nasal.
(b) They talk too fast.
(c) They are very clipped.
(d) They mumble their words.
14. Why does Steinbeck essentially ignore his doctors' advice?
(a) He wants quality in his life, not necessarily quantity of years.
(b) They have been wrong before.
(c) He thinks he knows better than the doctors.
(d) He wants a second opinion.
15. What material is everything in the attached diner made of, including the waitress' apron?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the genre of this book?
2. In what vehicle did Steinbeck travel on this trip?
3. With what was the vehicle outfitted?
4. What does Steinbeck see when he takes Charley for a walk?
5. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)