|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impact does the storm have on the Steinbecks' home?
(a) The wind forces in a window.
(b) It is completely demolished.
(c) A tree crashes onto the roof.
(d) The roof is blown away.
2. What is the unspoken motivation for Steinbeck's decision to make the trip?
(a) He made a bet with himself to do it by his 60th birthday.
(b) He needs some time alone to think.
(c) He is growing older and may not get another chance.
(d) He wants to surprise his college roommate.
3. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking the trip?
(a) Revisit the country he once knew
(b) Get out of town for awhile
(c) Visit national monuments
(d) Find old college buddies
4. What material is everything in the attached diner made of, including the waitress' apron?
5. What do some of the migrant families use for shelter?
(a) Pup tents
(c) Large canvas tents
6. Steinbeck writes, "We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; _______________________
(a) we enter into a new dimension."
(b) we define destinies."
(c) a trip takes us."
(d) we take a journey."
7. What does Steinbeck not like about hunting?
(a) It gets too cold
(b) The taste of wild game
(c) The clothes you have to wear
(d) Cleaning your gun
8. What is Steinbeck's destination on the next day?
(c) Niagara Falls
(d) The northernmost county of Maine
9. How is Steinbeck able to travel unnoticed?
(a) People do not expect famous authors to be traveling in a trailer with a dog for a companion.
(b) He gains a lot of weight.
(c) He wears a wig and sunglasses.
(d) He dyes his hair black.
10. Where does Steinbeck stay in a motel on his second night?
11. To what does Steinbeck compare the futility of trying to control a trip?
(a) Trying to swim upstream
(b) Trying to control a marriage
(c) Trying to herd cats
(d) Trying to shoot fish in a barrel
12. What is wrong with Steinbeck's travel to these cities?
(a) It is not the great expanse of the entire United States.
(b) It is getting more and more expensive to make the trips.
(c) It takes too much time out of his schedule.
(d) It is a boring routine.
13. What do Steinbeck's friends warn him about regarding this trip?
(a) That he will get bored very quickly.
(b) That he will realize that his life at home was preferable.
(c) That he will not have the perseverance to complete it.
(d) That he will not be able to travel incognito.
14. What has come over the country since Steinbeck's last trip?
(a) Many changes
(b) Overwhelming sadness
(c) Wealth and prosperity
(d) A sense of pride
15. What have the doctors advised Steinbeck to do?
(a) Take a nap every day
(b) Take cholesterol-lowing medication
(c) Walk two miles every day
(d) Slow down, watch his diet and stop drinking
Short Answer Questions
1. In this book, Steinbeck's style is neither ______________ in nature nor completely ________________.
2. What is the name of Steinbeck's boat?
3. What does Steinbeck notice that surrounds the small towns and villages?
4. What does Steinbeck invite the Canadian family to do?
5. According to Steinbeck, _____________ is the greater part of recognition.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)