|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
(a) An adequate writer
(b) An American writer
(c) A simple storyteller
(d) A sophisticated writer
2. Where does Steinbeck plan to stay the next night?
(a) In the Green Mountains
(b) In the White Mountains
(c) On the Connecticut River
(d) In Ontario
3. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
(a) Fresh eggs
(b) Cured bacon
(c) Smoked ham
(d) Dog food
4. What does Steinbeck think the waitress is capable of doing?
(a) Singing in an all girls' band
(b) Being a gymnast
(c) Sucking all the joy from life within her range
(d) Becoming a pastry chef
5. Who is the first person Steinbeck meets on his trip?
(a) A policeman
(b) A sailor
(c) A gas station attendant
(d) A waitress
6. What does Steinbeck say about the journey he is about to take?
(a) It is something that he is dreading.
(b) It is a very daunting proposition.
(c) It is the trip of a lifetime.
(d) It is much the same as all journeys that anyone takes.
7. Why does Steinbeck essentially ignore his doctors' advice?
(a) He wants a second opinion.
(b) He wants quality in his life, not necessarily quantity of years.
(c) They have been wrong before.
(d) He thinks he knows better than the doctors.
8. Where has Steinbeck's friend made a reservation for him?
(a) Mt. Killington
(b) Niagara Falls
(d) Deer Isle
9. What urge has Steinbeck felt all his life?
(a) The urge to be somewhere else.
(b) The urge to be an athlete.
(c) The urge to be someone else.
(d) The urge to be an artist.
10. What book does Steinbeck read as he drinks coffee at a rest area?
(a) East of Eden
(b) The Hawaiians
(c) Quo Vadis
(d) The Spectator
11. What do Steinbeck's friends warn him about regarding this trip?
(a) That he will get bored very quickly.
(b) That he will not be able to travel incognito.
(c) That he will realize that his life at home was preferable.
(d) That he will not have the perseverance to complete it.
12. What does Steinbeck do single-handedly on his boat?
(a) He hoists up the anchors.
(b) He refinishes the interior.
(c) He steers it out of the bay.
(d) He sends out S.O.S. messages.
13. Why does Steinbeck not take another person on the trip?
(a) Another person probably wouldn't like the radio stations he likes.
(b) Another person would talk too much.
(c) Another person would probably change the itinerary.
(d) Another person would change the experience from observation to interactivity.
14. What material is everything in the motel made of, with the exception of the bedding and curtains?
15. How many years ago did Steinbeck travel the United States?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Steinbeck's purpose for taking the trip?
2. What does Steinbeck expect to experience on the road?
3. What does Steinbeck hope to accomplish on the trip?
4. What have the doctors advised Steinbeck to do?
5. What is the unspoken motivation for Steinbeck's decision to make the trip?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)