|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 4 - 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steinbeck do to accelerate his trip?
(a) Drives more hours each day
(b) Changes his itinerary
(c) Exceeds the speed limits
(d) Hits the multi-lane highways
2. What is the genre of this book?
(a) Travel memoir
3. What is the source of trouble Steinbeck runs into while trying to cross the border into Canada?
(a) He cannot take his liquor into Canada.
(b) He needs a passport.
(c) He needs Charley's rabies vaccination documents to return to the U.S.
(d) He has forgotten his birth certificate.
4. What does Steinbeck consider himself to be?
(a) A sophisticated writer
(b) An adequate writer
(c) An American writer
(d) A simple storyteller
5. What threatens Steinbeck's stay at the Maple River?
(a) A tornado
(b) Gang wars
(c) The possibility of snow
(d) Below-zero temperatures
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do many people invest in house trailers?
2. What does Steinbeck learn about all the writing materials he packs?
3. Where does Steinbeck stay in a motel on his second night?
4. What does Steinbeck exclude from the novel?
5. What happens to delay Steinbeck's plans?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)