|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 10 - 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this book, Steinbeck's style is neither ______________ in nature nor completely ________________.
(a) informative, ascetic
(b) crafty, entertaining
(c) entertaining, boring
(d) journalistic, poetic
2. What is Steinbeck's wife's name?
3. What is the subject about which Steinbeck is noted for writing?
4. Aside from the unpleasant family visit, how does Steinbeck find the Monterey Peninsula?
(a) It is more attractive but has lost its sense of wildness.
(b) It is sadly declining.
(c) It is much dirtier than he remembered.
(d) It is too industrialized to suit him.
5. What is the unspoken motivation for Steinbeck's decision to make the trip?
(a) He needs some time alone to think.
(b) He wants to surprise his college roommate.
(c) He made a bet with himself to do it by his 60th birthday.
(d) He is growing older and may not get another chance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a friend want Steinbeck to bring back from his trip?
2. What threatens Steinbeck's stay at the Maple River?
3. What does Steinbeck buy at a farmhouse?
4. What does Steinbeck name his camper?
5. Where does Steinbeck go to reminisce with an old friend?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)