Part 1: Chapter 1
• Steinbeck is about to embark on a journey, the nature of which is much the same as all journeys that anyone has taken.
• Steinbeck has felt an urge to be somewhere else his whole life.
• Steinbeck gives in to wanderlust and calls this state of journeying bumdom.
• Each journey has its own personality.
Part 1: Chapter 2
• Steinbeck is an American writer writing about Americans but he doesn't know the country.
• Steinbeck traveled the country 25 years ago in an old bakery truck.
• Friends express concerns for Steinbeck's safety and inability to travel incognito.
• Steinbeck will be accompanied by a poodle named Charley.
• A human companion would change the nature of the trip from observation to interaction and that would change Steinbeck's objective.
• Steinbeck orders a custom-built camper truck.
• Steinbeck names the camper Rocinante after Don Quixote's horse.
Part 1: Chapter 3
• Steinbeck packs reading and writing materials...
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)