|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedlmayr explores the theme of the lost center through the changes in what over the years?
2. Eco asserts that sport now exists mainly for what reasons?
3. When were the earliest American blue jeans made?
4. In "A Photograph" Eco references an incident in which a radio station captured the live experience of what?
5. Eco writes that the deployment of what "is religion, politics, ideology"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose lecture does Eco discuss in "Language, Power, Force"? Why?
2. What location does Eco describe in "Two Families of Objects"?
3. What criticisms does Eco demonstrate over the theories of Hans Sedlmayr?
4. How and from whom did St. Thomas unlock the secrets of reason, according to Eco?
5. What does Eco assert about sports in the beginning of "Sports Chatter"?
6. What two types of objects does Eco describe in "Two Families of Objects"?
7. How are spectator sports like war, according to Eco? How are they superior?
8. Why was St. Thomas revolutionary, according to Eco?
9. How many inter-textual archetypes were used in Casablanca, according to Eco? What does this do?
10. What argument does Eco put forth in "The Comic and the Rule"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Eco use Superman as a metaphor for in Section I - Chapter 1? What is a "Fortress of Solitude"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the structure, history and rites of Afro-Brazilian culture. What is the leadership like within these communities?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Getty and Ringling Museums. Where are they located and by whom were they originated? Why does Eco discuss each?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)