|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eco asserts that sport now exists mainly for what reasons?
2. What famous work did Karl Marx write with Friedrich Engels?
3. When was Roland Barthes born?
4. Eco suggests that both Hans Sedlmayr and Marshall McLuhan use similar facts and arrive at what?
5. When was Leon Foucault born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eco assert about sports in the beginning of "Sports Chatter"?
2. How does Eco relate sports to culture and entertainment in "Sports Chatter"?
3. What experience does Eco describe in "Lady Barbara"?
4. How are spectator sports like war, according to Eco? How are they superior?
5. What was the worst thing to ever happen to St. Thomas Aquinas, according to Eco in "In Praise of St. Thomas"?
6. What two types of objects does Eco describe in "Two Families of Objects"?
7. How does Hans Sedlmayr examine the theme of man's lost center?
8. What criticisms does Eco demonstrate over the theories of Hans Sedlmayr?
9. How does Eco propose that one must free oneself from the confines of language?
10. How many inter-textual archetypes were used in Casablanca, according to Eco? What does this do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how holography has influenced American culture and our perceptions of reality. How is holography an extension of photorealism? How have these formats evolved since the book was written?
Essay Topic 2
How is "semiotics" defined? How does this term apply to the theories and work of Umberto Eco?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss guerrilla warfare. What is the definition of guerrilla warfare and where did this concept arise?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)