|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedlmayr asserts that what is a rejection of the upward thrust of other buildings and implies that it means a disconnection from the earth?
2. Eco suggests that the worst thing to have ever happened to St. Thomas Aquinas was what?
3. Eco maintains that the role of the comic figure is to do what while holding a position that is in stature below the observer?
4. What book of Marshall McLuhan's is cited in "Cogito Interruptus"?
5. When was Roland Barthes born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What books and authors does Eco cite in "Cogito Interruptus"? What conclusion does he come to of their theories?
2. What two types of objects does Eco describe in "Two Families of Objects"?
3. How are spectator sports like war, according to Eco? How are they superior?
4. What was the worst thing to ever happen to St. Thomas Aquinas, according to Eco in "In Praise of St. Thomas"?
5. How does Eco define "motif"? What word does he choose to use instead?
6. How many inter-textual archetypes were used in Casablanca, according to Eco? What does this do?
7. What does Eco assert about sports in the beginning of "Sports Chatter"?
8. What experience does Eco describe in "Lady Barbara"?
9. Why does Eco maintain sports exist today primarily? How are sports like wax museums?
10. What conclusions does Eco come to regarding the definition of power in "Language, Power, Force"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the Hearst Castle? How does it reflect hyper realism?
Essay Topic 2
What does Eco use Superman as a metaphor for in Section I - Chapter 1? What is a "Fortress of Solitude"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe a museum of your choosing and how it reflects or does not reflect authenticity. According to Eco's definition and theories, is this museum authentic and how is that determined?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)