|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedlmayr explores the theme of the lost center through the changes in what over the years?
2. When was Karl Marx born?
3. Where was Leon Foucault from?
4. When classmates sent a naked girl into St. Thomas Aquinas' room when he was trying to become an abbot, what did he do?
5. When was Roland Barthes born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eco assert about sports in the beginning of "Sports Chatter"?
2. What qualities must a movie present in order to attain cult status, according to Eco in "Casablanca: Cult Movies and Intertextual Collage"?
3. How many inter-textual archetypes were used in Casablanca, according to Eco? What does this do?
4. Why was St. Thomas revolutionary, according to Eco?
5. Why does Eco maintain sports exist today primarily? How are sports like wax museums?
6. How does semiotics assist in understanding language and communication, according to Eco?
7. How are spectator sports like war, according to Eco? How are they superior?
8. What experience does Eco describe in "Lady Barbara"?
9. How and from whom did St. Thomas unlock the secrets of reason, according to Eco?
10. How does Eco propose that one must free oneself from the confines of language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Roman Empire and its fall. In what ways is the Roman Empire comparable to American society today?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the Hearst Castle? How does it reflect hyper realism?
Essay Topic 3
Compare contemporary American culture with that of the Middle Ages. In what ways does Eco suggest we are similar? How are we different?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)