|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were the earliest American blue jeans made?
2. Eco suggests that it is the creative interplay of the signs that is what, in "Language, Power, Force"?
3. What famous work did Karl Marx write with Friedrich Engels?
(a) Notes on James Mill.
(b) The Philosophical Manifesto of the Historical School of Law.
(c) The Communist Manifesto.
(d) The Poverty of Philosophy.
4. Who was Aristotle a student of?
(b) William of Ockham.
5. What is the first type of object Eco analyzes in "Two Families of Objects"?
(a) The beautiful object.
(b) The significant object.
(c) The antique object.
(d) The common object.
6. What does Eco describe as "stereotyped situations derived from preceding textual tradition"?
(a) Omni-textural frames.
(b) Post-texural frames.
(c) Inter-textual frames.
(d) Pre-textural frames.
7. Eco describes Sedlmayr's treatment of art as what?
(c) Excessively reductionistic.
8. What refers to a medium that focuses on a single sense in order to foster a "high power of definition"?
(a) Hot medium.
(b) Cool medium.
(c) Wet medium.
(d) Dry medium.
9. When was Hans Sedlmayr born?
10. Eco writes that the deployment of what "is religion, politics, ideology"?
11. Who directed Casablanca?
(a) Michael Curtiz.
(b) Elia Kazan.
(c) George Stevens.
(d) George Stevens.
12. What refers to an original model of a person, ideal example, or a prototype upon which others are copied, patterned, or emulated; a symbol universally recognized by all?
(d) Inter-textual truth.
13. When did St. Thomas Aquinas die?
14. Where was Karl Marx born?
15. In "Two Families of Objects," Eco states that all of the objects for sale represent a kind of what?
(a) "Unique appeal."
(c) "Useless junk."
(d) "Undifferentiated desire."
Short Answer Questions
1. Eco suggests that the vital essence of sports becomes further removed by what?
2. When did construction start on the Roman Colosseum?
3. What book of Hans Sedlmayr's is cited by Eco in the book?
4. When was St. Thomas Aquinas born?
5. What device demonstrating the effect of the Earth's rotation was Leon Foucault responsible for?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)