|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eco suggests that engaging in sport is now confused with what?
(a) Coaching sport.
(b) Admiring sport.
(c) Discussing sport.
(d) Watching television.
2. In "A Photograph" Eco references an incident in which a radio station captured the live experience of what?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) An angry mob.
(c) Being shut down by the police.
(d) The building burning down.
3. What refers to an original model of a person, ideal example, or a prototype upon which others are copied, patterned, or emulated; a symbol universally recognized by all?
(c) Inter-textual truth.
4. According to Eco, language encodes power because it forces one to use already formulated what?
(c) Speech patterns.
5. Eco writes that the deployment of what "is religion, politics, ideology"?
6. Who was the mother of St. Thomas Aquinas?
(a) Theodora Countess of Theate.
(b) Joan of Arc.
(c) Maria Alexandra Corvesa.
(d) Alezona of Aquinas.
7. Eco states that Thomas had to unhook Aristotle's teachings from the use they were being put to by whom?
(a) The Averrroes.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Mongols.
(d) The Greeks.
8. In what essay does Eco discuss the qualities of blue jeans?
(a) "Denim Nightmare."
(b) "Levi's Plague."
(c) "Lumbar Thought."
(d) "Cowboy Pants."
9. Where was Leon Foucault from?
10. What famous work did Karl Marx write with Friedrich Engels?
(a) The Poverty of Philosophy.
(b) The Communist Manifesto.
(c) Notes on James Mill.
(d) The Philosophical Manifesto of the Historical School of Law.
11. Eco describes Sedlmayr's treatment of art as what?
(b) Excessively reductionistic.
12. When did St. Thomas Aquinas die?
13. Eco refutes Foucault's concept of language as being what?
14. Eco suggests that the worst thing to have ever happened to St. Thomas Aquinas was what?
(a) Being born.
(b) The death of his father.
(c) Having a naked girl in his room.
(d) Being named a saint.
15. Eco writes in "Sports Chatter," "On it and in it, the consumer civilization man actually" does what?
(a) Destroys his spirit.
(b) Consumes himself.
(c) Is left feeling hungry.
(d) Alienates himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eco writes, "Only when the song has become entirely unpleasant will the audience" do what?
2. When was St. Thomas Aquinas born?
3. Who directed Casablanca?
4. Eco asserts that sport now exists mainly for what reasons?
5. What is the first type of object Eco analyzes in "Two Families of Objects"?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)