|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to something such as an particular mark that represents some piece of information?
2. Who was Aristotle a student of?
(a) William of Ockham.
3. How old was St. Thomas Aquinas at his death?
4. Eco states that spectator sports are a form of what, which like war, allows the aggressive impulses to be discharged?
5. What famous work did Karl Marx write with Friedrich Engels?
(a) The Communist Manifesto.
(b) Notes on James Mill.
(c) The Poverty of Philosophy.
(d) The Philosophical Manifesto of the Historical School of Law.
6. St. Thomas Aquinas was revolutionary in the sense that he was able to do what?
(a) See the future.
(b) Talk to god.
(c) Bring divergent thought together.
(d) Unite different religions.
7. Eco suggests that it is the creative interplay of the signs that is what, in "Language, Power, Force"?
8. Eco writes, "Only when the song has become entirely unpleasant will the audience" do what?
(a) Tell their friends.
(b) Stand and applaud.
(c) Feel happy at last.
(d) Buy the album.
9. According to Eco, spectator sports are "morally superior" to war because they only involve what?
(a) Willing participants.
(c) Paid athletes.
(d) Strategic coaching.
10. Sedlmayr asserts that what is a rejection of the upward thrust of other buildings and implies that it means a disconnection from the earth?
(a) The "cantilever."
(b) The "platform."
(c) The see-saw."
(d) The "plank."
11. In "A Photograph" Eco references an incident in which a radio station captured the live experience of what?
(a) The building burning down.
(b) Being shut down by the police.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) An angry mob.
12. Eco states that Thomas had to unhook Aristotle's teachings from the use they were being put to by whom?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Averrroes.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Mongols.
13. In "Language, Power, Force" Eco describes a lecture given by Roland Barthes on the subject of what?
14. Eco refutes Foucault's concept of language as being what?
15. When was Roland Barthes born?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Two Families of Objects," Eco states that all of the objects for sale represent a kind of what?
2. According to Eco, language encodes power because it forces one to use already formulated what?
3. When was Leon Foucault born?
4. Eco suggests that sports is a form of what that serves to distract and create wasteful talk with no actual purpose or value?
5. Who starred in Casablanca?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)