|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When classmates sent a naked girl into St. Thomas Aquinas' room when he was trying to become an abbot, what did he do?
(a) Ran at her with a knife.
(b) Offered her a seat.
(c) Chased her out with a hot brand.
(d) Offered her clothes.
2. Eco maintains that the role of the comic figure is to do what while holding a position that is in stature below the observer?
(a) Divert attention.
(b) Tell a joke.
(c) Break a rule.
(d) Lighten the mood.
3. Eco writes that the deployment of what "is religion, politics, ideology"?
4. Where was Hans Sedlmayr born?
5. Who starred in Casablanca?
(a) Burt Lancaster.
(b) James Dean.
(c) Marvin Sales.
(d) Humphrey Bogart.
6. Eco relates his experience of having the song "Lady Barbara" burst into his head to what?
(a) Anticipatory applause.
7. In "Sports Chatter" Eco remarks that it would be easier to have a protest in what than a football field?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A library.
(d) A church.
8. Eco suggests that the worst thing to have ever happened to St. Thomas Aquinas was what?
(a) The death of his father.
(b) Being named a saint.
(c) Having a naked girl in his room.
(d) Being born.
9. Whose theory asserts that non-material abstract (but substantial) forms (or ideas), and not the material world of change known to us through sensation, possess the highest and most fundamental kind of reality?
10. When was the film Casablanca released?
11. Eco states that spectator sports are a form of what, which like war, allows the aggressive impulses to be discharged?
12. What is the first type of object Eco analyzes in "Two Families of Objects"?
(a) The significant object.
(b) The common object.
(c) The antique object.
(d) The beautiful object.
13. Eco suggests that it is the creative interplay of the signs that is what, in "Language, Power, Force"?
14. When were the earliest American blue jeans made?
15. Eco writes in "Sports Chatter," "On it and in it, the consumer civilization man actually" does what?
(a) Destroys his spirit.
(b) Alienates himself.
(c) Is left feeling hungry.
(d) Consumes himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was St. Thomas Aquinas at his death?
2. Eco states that Thomas had to unhook Aristotle's teachings from the use they were being put to by whom?
3. In "Two Families of Objects," Eco cites Karl Marx implying that markets are the very places in which the goods that are being sold do what?
4. Sedlmayr asserts that what is a rejection of the upward thrust of other buildings and implies that it means a disconnection from the earth?
5. When was Aristotle born?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)