|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a label formulated by US academics to denote the heterogeneous works of a series of French intellectuals?
2. Where was St. Thomas Aquinas born?
(d) St. Thomas.
3. Eco suggests that language is what in the sense that "it compels speech"?
4. What does Eco describe as "stereotyped situations derived from preceding textual tradition"?
(a) Inter-textual frames.
(b) Post-texural frames.
(c) Pre-textural frames.
(d) Omni-textural frames.
5. Eco suggests that power contains both elements of "repression" and excitation, power is "plural," and that power is what?
6. When was Hans Sedlmayr born?
7. Eco states that Thomas had to unhook Aristotle's teachings from the use they were being put to by whom?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Averrroes.
(c) The Mongols.
(d) The Greeks.
8. In "Two Families of Objects," what market does Eco refer to as a "temple" at which the semiotic signs of consumerism may be studied?
(a) The Cairo Bazaar.
(b) The London Farmers Market.
(c) The Tokyo Fish Market.
(d) Milan Trade Fair.
9. When was St. Thomas Aquinas born?
10. When was Roland Barthes born?
11. How old was St. Thomas Aquinas at his death?
12. St. Thomas Aquinas was revolutionary in the sense that he was able to do what?
(a) Bring divergent thought together.
(b) Unite different religions.
(c) See the future.
(d) Talk to god.
13. In "Two Families of Objects," Eco states that all of the objects for sale represent a kind of what?
(a) "Undifferentiated desire."
(b) "Useless junk."
(d) "Unique appeal."
14. What book of Marshall McLuhan's is cited in "Cogito Interruptus"?
(a) The Gutenberg Galaxy: The Making of Typographic Man.
(b) The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man.
(c) Understanding Media.
(d) War and Peace in the Global Village.
15. According to Eco, spectator sports are "morally superior" to war because they only involve what?
(a) Paid athletes.
(b) Strategic coaching.
(d) Willing participants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Karl Marx born?
2. Where was Hans Sedlmayr born?
3. How many inter-textual archetypes are used in Casablanca, according to Eco?
4. Eco suggests that in order to achieve cult status a movie "must provide a completely _____ world so that its fans can quote characters as if they were aspects of the fan's private sectarian world...".
5. In "A Photograph" Eco references an incident in which a radio station captured the live experience of what?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)