|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion" Eco again returns to the metaphor of Superman to what?
(a) A train.
(b) A dog.
(d) A car.
2. Where is Disneyland Park located?
(a) Long Beach, California.
(b) Anaheim, California.
(c) San Diego, California.
(d) Bakersfield, California.
3. In "City of Robots," Eco asserts that in America there are cities that are created purely for what?
(a) Money making.
4. According to Eco, hyper reality serves to confuse the boundaries of what?
(a) Ultimate counterfeit.
(b) Space and time.
(c) Horror vacui.
(d) Church and state.
5. Who publishes Superman Comics?
(a) IDW Publishing.
(b) DC Comics.
(c) Viz Media.
(d) AC Comics.
6. What is the second realm of hyper reality discussed by Eco in "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
(b) Art and museums.
7. What ideology of progress seeks to improve the world through the use of science and technology?
8. The Middle Ages was a period of European history from the 5th century to what century?
9. What book of Marshall McLuhan's suggests that man has lost his center?
(a) Understanding Sport.
(b) Understanding The Human Mind.
(c) Understanding Media.
(d) Understanding Society.
10. When did Jim Jones die?
11. Eco describes hyper reality as a situation in which the real is portrayed through the what?
(a) Horror vacui.
(b) Ultimate counterfeit.
(c) Common opinion.
12. Where did Jim Jones' cult members commit mass suicide?
(a) Jonestown, Guyana.
(b) Lima, Peru.
(c) Johannesburg, South Africa.
(d) Waco, Texas.
13. Marshall McLuhan states that the constant barrage of information leads to what?
(a) A loss of self.
(b) A passive ingestion of media.
(c) An overabundance of trivial knowledge.
(d) A slowing of the human thought process.
14. What is the third realm of hyper reality discussed by Eco in "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
(b) Art and museums.
(c) The theatre.
15. When was Marshall McLuhan born?
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the effects of zoos and aquariums, according to Eco, is that animals have been erroneously what?
2. Eco asserts that nature is a victim of what by way of zoos and aquariums?
3. What does Eco define as mini representations of a particular location or scene?
4. Eco suggests that what implies having the conversation that compares the coding at the receiver with the coding at the source?
5. What is the first realm of hyper reality discussed by Eco in "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)