|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eco suggest serve as a museum of memories for Superman?
(b) Newspaper clippings.
(c) The city lights.
2. Eco asserts that because of the multinational arrangement, there is no head of a particular government or country that can be toppled in order to change what?
(a) The military.
(b) The family unit.
(c) The status quo.
(d) The arts world.
3. Where is the Ringling Museum of Art located?
(a) Savannah, Georgia.
(b) Tallahassee, Florida.
(c) Sarasota, Florida.
(d) Atlanta, Georgia.
4. Where did Jim Jones' cult members commit mass suicide?
(a) Jonestown, Guyana.
(b) Waco, Texas.
(c) Johannesburg, South Africa.
(d) Lima, Peru.
5. What does Eco define as mini representations of a particular location or scene?
6. What term refers to a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time?
(c) Peace treaty.
7. What ideology of progress seeks to improve the world through the use of science and technology?
8. Eco creates a language for talking about communication transmission in which there is a source that sends out a signal via a transmitter through what?
(a) A transistor.
(b) A sine wave.
(c) A channel.
(d) A wavelength.
9. Eco proposes that all use of hyper reality is an attempt to create a monument or a permanent structure that will allow for what?
10. Marshall McLuhan states that the constant barrage of information leads to what?
(a) A slowing of the human thought process.
(b) A loss of self.
(c) A passive ingestion of media.
(d) An overabundance of trivial knowledge.
11. When was Jim Jones born?
12. What refers to the study of signs and sign processes, indication, designation, likeness, analogy, metaphor, symbolism, signification, and communication?
13. In "Living in the New Middle Ages," Eco asserts that one of the hallmarks of the Middle Ages was the decline of a period of peace that was brought about by what?
(a) A tyrant.
(b) A superpower.
(c) Advanced weapons.
(d) The plague.
14. What is the fourth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
(a) The Middle Ages of national identities.
(b) The Middle Ages of philological reconstruction.
(c) The Middle Ages of Romanticism.
(d) The Middle Ages as the site of an ironical revisitation.
15. Who directed 2001: A Space Odyssey?
(a) Victor Fleming.
(b) Stanley Kubrick.
(c) Orson Welles.
(d) Alfred Hitchcock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the J. Paul Getty Museum located?
2. What is the tenth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
3. What book of Marshall McLuhan's suggests that man has lost his center?
4. What is the second type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
5. What is the second realm of hyper reality discussed by Eco in "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)