|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eco compares cults to what, which he asserts have existed at least since the time of Christ?
(d) Millenarian dynamics.
2. What common contemporary phrase did Marshall McLuhan coin?
(b) The Global Village.
(c) Greenhouse Gases.
(d) The Coriolis Effect.
3. What fake aspect was built to house the Ringling Museum of Art?
(a) The big top.
(b) The Palazzo.
(c) The Bellagio.
(d) Ripley's Museums.
4. Eco discusses the current cultural fascination with the Middle Ages that he refers to as what?
(a) "The royal inspiration."
(b) "Round table insanity."
(c) "Castle of wonder."
(d) The "neo-medieval wave."
5. When was Superman created?
6. Who created Superman?
(a) Darwyn Cooke.
(b) Mike Mignola.
(c) Jerry Siegal.
(d) Gail Simone.
7. Eco asserts that terrorism gives what a reason to exist?
(a) Armed forces.
(b) Gun stores.
8. What does Eco define as mini representations of a particular location or scene?
9. What does Eco assert that Disney suggests that the imitation of reality is so accurate that reality pales in comparison?
(a) Auto-astronomic technology.
(b) Auto-animatronic technology.
(c) Audio-astronomic technology.
(d) Audio-animatronic technology.
10. According to Eco, hyper reality serves to confuse the boundaries of what?
(a) Space and time.
(b) Ultimate counterfeit.
(c) Church and state.
(d) Horror vacui.
11. What is the tenth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
(a) The expectation of the Millennium.
(b) The Middle Ages of philological reconstruction.
(c) The Middle Ages of so-called Tradition.
(d) The Middle Ages of national identities.
12. What American film star was killed by the Manson family?
(a) Leno LaBianca.
(b) Gary Hinman.
(c) Bernard Crowe.
(d) Sharon Tate.
13. Ego proposes that our fascination with the Middle Ages is related to a desire to do what?
(a) Understand the past.
(b) Examine our origins.
(d) Predict the future.
14. Marshall McLuhan suggests that the Middle Ages was characterized by the heavy emphasis on the formal study of what?
15. Where did Jim Jones' cult members commit mass suicide?
(a) Lima, Peru.
(b) Jonestown, Guyana.
(c) Johannesburg, South Africa.
(d) Waco, Texas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the eighth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
2. Where is the Ringling Museum of Art located?
3. What is the second type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
4. Who publishes Superman Comics?
5. When did the Western Roman Empire fall?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)