|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eco, hyper reality serves to confuse the boundaries of what?
(a) Horror vacui.
(b) Space and time.
(c) Ultimate counterfeit.
(d) Church and state.
2. What is a museum of memories referred to in German?
3. Eco believes that new "negative theologies" may give insight into what?
(a) Revolutionary thought.
(b) Psychic abilities.
(c) Mental illness.
(d) Common belief.
4. Eco suggests that the multinational system is very stable and that the only danger to it is a situation of what?
(a) Economic hardship.
(b) Mass terrorism.
(c) Enraged citizens.
(d) Natural disaster.
5. What is the sixth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
(a) The Middle Ages of philological reconstruction.
(b) The Middle Ages of so-called Tradition.
(c) The Middle Ages as a barbaric age.
(d) The Middle Ages of national identities.
6. When was Jim Jones born?
7. What book of Marshall McLuhan's suggests that man has lost his center?
(a) Understanding Sport.
(b) Understanding The Human Mind.
(c) Understanding Society.
(d) Understanding Media.
8. What refers to an intentional interpersonal relationship used by trained psychologists to aid a client or patient in problems of living?
(b) Physical therapy.
(c) Shock therapy.
9. When did the Red Brigade, headed by Mario Moretti, kidnap the former Christian Democrat Prime Minister Aldo Moro, killing five men of his entourage and subsequently murdering him 54 days later?
10. Where is Umberto Eco from?
11. In "Whose Side are the Orixa on?" Eco describes sacred rites of whom?
(a) The Congolese.
(b) The Aztecs.
(c) The Afro-Brazilians.
(d) The Inca.
12. Eco proposes that tourists at Disney must have a certain passivity and behave as what in order to enjoy themselves?
(d) Wild animals.
13. What does Eco define as the fear of open or white space that is remedied by filling an entire piece of art with excessive detail in a neurotic fashion?
(b) Horror vacui.
(c) Brush mania.
(d) Particle overload.
14. What were a Marxist-Leninist terrorist group based in Italy and active, via a number of political assassinations, during the "Years of Lead"?
(a) The Red Curtain.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The Red Coats.
(d) The Red Brigades.
15. What American film star was killed by the Manson family?
(a) Leno LaBianca.
(b) Sharon Tate.
(c) Bernard Crowe.
(d) Gary Hinman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the art display of the two women described in Section I - Chapter 1, "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
2. What is the tenth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
3. What does Eco define as mini representations of a particular location or scene?
4. In "City of Robots," Eco asserts that in America there are cities that are created purely for what?
5. Eco discusses the current cultural fascination with the Middle Ages that he refers to as what?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)