|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne obsess about after her father's death?
2. Where does Anne seem to find peace during the time Sam's illness is being diagnosed?
3. What is Anne's substance used during her eating disorder?
4. According to Anne, when is the only time a spirit rises?
5. Who is the big man who sits on Sam when blood has to be drawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne's neurotic nature exhibit when she has a suspicious mole?
2. What happens when Anne takes Sam to a substitute pediatrician when his own pediatrician is out of town?
3. Where does Anne fully discover God?
4. What does Anne mean when she says that she doesn't want to be her "mommy's mommy"?
5. Explain Anne's preliminary attempt to quit drinking alcohol.
6. Explain the situation that helps Akela begin to overcome her fear?
7. Why does Anne think it is appropriate that she is in Houston with a man with whom she is having a troubled relationship?
8. How does Anne compare a muddy walk on the beach to a river baptism described to her by Mary, the woman who used to give her little bags of dimes?
9. Why is Anne bothered by spending a day on the beach with her mother?
10. Why does Anne call the void left by her father's death an "old dog suit"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne recalls spending time with her father as he protests for or against social causes. Why does Anne spend time in controversial episodes? Is it her nature? Or does she just want to be close to her father? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is "God's In Box?" Explain the nature of requests that are appropriate for "God's In Box." What does Anne learn by reviewing previous requests kept in this special place?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Anne means by believing in a "patchwork God." Does her fragmented childhood help or hinder her belief system? Do you think that Anne does a good job of "raising herself" spiritually? Explain.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)