|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Anne liken the men she meets?
2. To whom does Anne liken God in the story about Elijah?
3. What does Anne try to accept when she is in her forties?
4. Why does Akela remain indoors at a Fourth of July picnic at her grandmother's house?
5. What about Anne's looks has always given her trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anne's favorite prayer?
2. Why does Anne think it is appropriate that she is in Houston with a man with whom she is having a troubled relationship?
3. What fear does Anne's friend, Neshama's, granddaughter, Akela have?
4. Explain Sam's creativity.
5. Why is Anne drawn to bathrooms during this time of waiting to find out what is wrong with Sam?
6. How does Anne compare a muddy walk on the beach to a river baptism described to her by Mary, the woman who used to give her little bags of dimes?
7. How does Anne use humor to deal with her unruly hair?
8. Where does Anne fully discover God?
9. Why does Anne call the void left by her father's death an "old dog suit"?
10. Explain Anne's preliminary attempt to quit drinking alcohol.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Anne consider herself to be a coward when she seems to be a very outspoken person? Where does courage come from? Does everyone have it or is it granted to a few special people? What makes Anne think she is not as courageous as she once thought herself to be? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Anne does not fully acknowledge her father's death until 20 years later. Why does it take her so long to accept this loss? Is this normal in the denial phase of grief? Can anything be considered normal or abnormal while grieving? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol seems to be a prevalent part of Anne's fractured home life. What impact does the permissive environment have on Anne? How would her life had been different if her family hadn't been deteriorating at the same time when Anne is of the age of substance experimentation? Explain.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)