|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne feels like _____________________ over how old her mother is.
2. The doctor tells Anne he is 98 percent certain she is OK. What does Anne say when he asks if those odds are good enough for her?
3. What about Anne's looks has always given her trouble?
4. When are Aleka's family and friends happy?
5. What mantra does Akela's psychiatrist tell her to chant when she is afraid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anne set herself up for failure when she enters a sobriety program?
2. Explain Anne's preliminary attempt to quit drinking alcohol.
3. What really bothers Anne about witnessing the man abusing his dog on the beach one day?
4. Anne uses many metaphors in her writing. For example, what does Anne mean about Olivia's illness being a canvas and support being a barn raising?
5. Why is Anne bothered by spending a day on the beach with her mother?
6. How does Anne's neurotic nature exhibit when she has a suspicious mole?
7. How does Anne deal with the approach of middle age?
8. Explain Sam's creativity.
9. How does Anne compare a muddy walk on the beach to a river baptism described to her by Mary, the woman who used to give her little bags of dimes?
10. What does Anne call "God's In Box?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne reaches a point when she is drinking to realize that she should no longer drive so she gets rid of her car. Why is this flawed logic? What other options could Anne have considered that would have been fundamentally more beneficial to her life?
Essay Topic 2
What is Anne's position on abortion? After Anne has an abortion, she hemorrhages in her room and feels the presence of Jesus. How does this affect her decision not to abort when she becomes pregnant a second time?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Anne consider herself to be a coward when she seems to be a very outspoken person? Where does courage come from? Does everyone have it or is it granted to a few special people? What makes Anne think she is not as courageous as she once thought herself to be? Explain.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)