|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Anne makes Sam go to church?
2. Where does Anne take Sam for a vacation?
3. Anne believes this when someone else is enduring a bad situation but believes it is punishment for ___________________ when it happens to her.
4. Whose strong presence does Anne feel one night when she is scared?
5. What is common among the children of the sixties?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Anne's father when Anne is 23?
2. How does an Ash Wednesday morning, which Anne means to be filled with respect, turn out completely the opposite?
3. How is Anne part of another little miracle?
4. What does Anne consider to be the first miracle she witnesses?
5. What two answering machine messages does Anne mention as being memorable to her?
6. How does Anne learn that she receives grace to overcome and endure?
7. How does Anne respond when some paragliders offer Sam a free ride for his birthday one year in Idaho?
8. One day Anne sits next to a man on a plane who notes the cross on a chain around Anne's neck and asks if she is a born-again Christian? How does Anne respond?
9. Why is the arrival of Pammy's daughter such a bittersweet occasion?
10. What decision-making process does Anne use when determining whether or not she should let Sam go paragliding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol seems to be a prevalent part of Anne's fractured home life. What impact does the permissive environment have on Anne? How would her life had been different if her family hadn't been deteriorating at the same time when Anne is of the age of substance experimentation? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Anne has difficulty in finding a man to replace her father in her life. Is this normal for women who have lost their fathers? Why does Anne compare this process to "an old dog suit"? Is Anne hopeful for love in her future or not? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is Anne's favorite prayer? Why do you think it is her favorite? Does she like the simplicity of it? Does she like it because it is easy to remember? Does she like it because it sums up everything for her? Or is it all of these things? Explain.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)