|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of her life does the author talk about at length?
2. How does Anne envision her time on stage with Paley?
3. Who is Sam's friend?
4. What does Anne learn from this experience?
5. What does Anne realize is her problem with the woman at Sam's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anne go to the home of her friend, Shelly?
2. What is Anne's plan of forgiveness when she realizes that she is one of those Christians who does not forgive?
3. Why does Anne admire a woman who rejects ministrations from the church elders?
4. How does Anne change her perspective about Sam's classmate's mother?
5. What role does alcohol play in Anne's home life?
6. When Anne and Sam are at Ixtapa for vacation, they are both still mourning the death of Anne's friend, Pammy. What happens to alter Anne's perspective a little?
7. What is Anne's philosophy about bad things happening?
8. What is the symbolism Anne speaks of when she talks about "pieces of Pammy"?
9. How does Anne become a true member of a church?
10. How does an Ash Wednesday morning, which Anne means to be filled with respect, turn out completely the opposite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a schmendrick? Why is Anne afraid of becoming one? Has she ever come close to being a schmendrick? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol seems to be a prevalent part of Anne's fractured home life. What impact does the permissive environment have on Anne? How would her life had been different if her family hadn't been deteriorating at the same time when Anne is of the age of substance experimentation? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Anne has difficulty in finding a man to replace her father in her life. Is this normal for women who have lost their fathers? Why does Anne compare this process to "an old dog suit"? Is Anne hopeful for love in her future or not? Explain.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)