|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne thinks that the people in church look upon her as ___________________.
2. What turns Anne's life around during college?
3. What was Anne hoping for on this night?
4. Why is Sam acting so morose?
5. Paley believes that women can be part of the equal rights movement without giving up _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anne's plan of forgiveness when she realizes that she is one of those Christians who does not forgive?
2. What is Anne's religious experience as a child?
3. What happens to Anne's father when Anne is 23?
4. How does Anne describe her church family?
5. How does Anne learn that she receives grace to overcome and endure?
6. How might the example of Anne's stalled car be considered a traveling mercy?
7. What is Anne's philosophy about bad things happening?
8. How is Anne like her activist father?
9. How does an Ash Wednesday morning, which Anne means to be filled with respect, turn out completely the opposite?
10. How does Anne respond when some paragliders offer Sam a free ride for his birthday one year in Idaho?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Anne's position on abortion? After Anne has an abortion, she hemorrhages in her room and feels the presence of Jesus. How does this affect her decision not to abort when she becomes pregnant a second time?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Anne means by believing in a "patchwork God." Does her fragmented childhood help or hinder her belief system? Do you think that Anne does a good job of "raising herself" spiritually? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Anne masterfully uses figurative language and literary techniques in her writing. Cite some examples in the book to illustrate symbolism, metaphors, irony and humor.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)