|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sam's "Big Brother"?
2. What subject did Anne's father teach to prisoners?
3. What news arrives as Anne prays for Pammy's cure?
(a) Pammy is cured
(b) Pammy had died
(c) Pammy could adopt a baby girl
(d) Pammy is going to hospice
4. What is notable about Grace Paley, the woman with whom Anne is to give two speeches?
(a) She is a writer and political activist
(b) She flies a plane at the age of 75
(c) She has started her own church
(d) She is a female bishop
5. What does Sam act like each day Anne returns to pick Sam up?
(a) Like he is starving
(b) Like he needs a nap
(c) Like he has had a fight
(d) Like Lazarus rising from the dead
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sam's friend?
2. How does Anne envision her time on stage with Paley?
3. What do Anne and Sam see coming in from the mountains in Idaho?
4. What is the state of Anne's friend, Pammy's, household?
5. What does this same man do the next day at the resort?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne become a true member of a church?
2. How might the example of Anne's stalled car be considered a traveling mercy?
3. What is Anne's religious experience as a child?
4. What two answering machine messages does Anne mention as being memorable to her?
5. What does Anne mean by "Traveling Mercies"?
6. Why is the arrival of Pammy's daughter such a bittersweet occasion?
7. What decision-making process does Anne use when determining whether or not she should let Sam go paragliding?
8. Anne's friend, Pammy, learns that she can adopt a baby at the same time that she learns she is dying from cancer. How does Pammy think about her new daughter during this time?
9. How does Anne describe her church family?
10. How does Anne respond when some paragliders offer Sam a free ride for his birthday one year in Idaho?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)