|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a man offer Sam as a birthday gift?
(a) A paragliding ride
(b) Tickets for a ballgame
(c) A video game
(d) A ball bat
2. What turns Anne's life around during college?
(a) She takes a religion class.
(b) She has a great roommate.
(c) She reads Kierkgaard's "Fear and Trembling."
(d) She gets a religious boyfriend.
3. Why does Anne say she can make Sam go to church?
(a) She threatens him
(b) She makes all his decisions
(c) She is bigger than he is
(d) She coerces him
4. What is the state of Anne's friend, Pammy's, household?
(a) Pammy's mother is always passed out
(b) Pammy's mother hires a housekeeper
(c) Pammy's mother cannot cook a simple meal
(d) Pammy's mother is a workaholic
5. To what does Anne compare attacking a child?
(a) Kicking a dog
(b) Bitch-slapping E.T.
(c) Taking a blindman's cane
(d) Taking a cripple's crutch
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne talk about in addition to her faith?
2. What illness does Anne's neighbor, Rick, have?
3. What does Anne do with the dimes given to her periodically by an elderly woman?
4. Who is the gay man in her church who is dying from AIDS?
5. What news arrives as Anne prays for Pammy's cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Anne's friend, Pammy, learns that she can adopt a baby at the same time that she learns she is dying from cancer. How does Pammy think about her new daughter during this time?
2. When Anne and Sam are at Ixtapa for vacation, they are both still mourning the death of Anne's friend, Pammy. What happens to alter Anne's perspective a little?
3. How does Anne respond when some paragliders offer Sam a free ride for his birthday one year in Idaho?
4. How does Anne know that Sam has forgiven her for the cartoon episode of that Ash Wednesday morning?
5. How does Anne describe her church family?
6. Describe Anne's life at 28.
7. How might the example of Anne's stalled car be considered a traveling mercy?
8. What is Anne's religious experience as a child?
9. What is the symbolism Anne speaks of when she talks about "pieces of Pammy"?
10. What role does alcohol play in Anne's home life?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)