|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mary's dimes symbolize for Anne?
(a) Money for Sam's bank
(b) The love and care from her church family
(c) More Starbucks this week
(d) Parking meter money
2. What does Anne see at the parties her parents host?
(a) People putting food in their pockets and purses
(b) People spilling drinks and not wiping up the spills
(c) Inappropriate behavior between people who are not married to each other
(d) People stealing bath soaps
3. Who raised Anne's father?
(a) His grandparents
(b) Missionaries in Tokyo
(c) His foster parents
(d) His adopted parents
4. What happens to Anne when she is almost 30?
(a) She starts her own business.
(b) She goes to law school.
(c) She has an abortion.
(d) She gets cancer.
5. What was the message on Anne's father's answering machine?
(a) All's well that ends well.
(b) It is what it is.
(c) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
(d) The freedom train is coming.
6. Who is Anne's best friend while growing up?
7. Why is Sam acting so morose?
(a) He is getting a cold.
(b) He is homesick.
(c) He grieves for Pammy.
(d) He misses his father.
8. Where does Anne go when Rick takes Sam to school?
(b) To church
(c) San Quentin Beach
(d) Golden Gate Park
9. Anne thinks that the people in church look upon her as ___________________.
(a) Someone who tries really hard
(b) Sam's chauffeur
(c) A bad mother
(d) A woman who has her act together
10. What is unusual about a man Anne sees on a trapeze set at the resort?
(a) He is a paraplegic.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He has only one leg.
(d) He has only one arm.
11. What is Anne's drug of choice when she is 28?
12. Why does Anne think she is still so sad?
(a) She still misses her father.
(b) She regrets having an abortion.
(c) She had to have her dog put to sleep.
(d) She is still carrying a huge piece of Pammy with her.
13. What is Anne's word for fraud?
14. Why do Anne and Sam go to Idaho?
(a) They want to visit Hemingway's grave.
(b) Anne is a lecturer at a writer's conference.
(c) Anne has a job interview.
(d) They want to go fly fishing.
15. What does Anne say about her parents and their friends?
(a) They are simple
(b) They are intellectuals
(c) They are kind
(d) They are idiots
Short Answer Questions
1. What news arrives as Anne prays for Pammy's cure?
2. Anne is drawn to Shelly's mother, Lee, because she ______________________________.
3. What activity does Anne recall doing with Bee?
4. What does Anne say wears on her to the point that she knows she has to do something about it?
5. Why does Anne say she always prayed at night?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)