|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sight irritates Anne so that she has to focus on something else?
(a) A driver who cuts her off on the freeway
(b) Hippies with long hair hanging down their backs
(c) A mother slapping her child
(d) A large man with a hairy chest takes off his shirt
2. What does Anne realize is her problem with the woman at Sam's school?
(a) Anne's inferiority complex
(b) Anne does not have as much money
(c) Anne is a single mother
(d) Anne's perspective on the woman's actions
3. Who does Anne select when she decides she must forgive someone?
(a) The mother of one of Sam's classmates
(b) Her mother
(c) Her dead father
(d) Her ex-lover
4. What turns Anne's life around during college?
(a) She reads Kierkgaard's "Fear and Trembling."
(b) She takes a religion class.
(c) She has a great roommate.
(d) She gets a religious boyfriend.
5. What cause does Anne recall protesting with her father years ago?
(a) The bans on gay marriage
(b) The war in Vietnam
(c) The Republican National Convention
(d) Death penalties and inhumane conditions
6. What is notable about Grace Paley, the woman with whom Anne is to give two speeches?
(a) She is a female bishop
(b) She flies a plane at the age of 75
(c) She is a writer and political activist
(d) She has started her own church
7. Where does Anne take Sam for a vacation?
(a) Puerto Rico
8. What is the reason Anne needs help from her church family?
(a) She has cancer.
(b) She has lost her home.
(c) She has lost her job.
(d) She is unmarried and pregnant.
9. How is Anne's lecture idea received?
(a) Public television wants to make a documentary of it
(b) CNN wants to copy the format
(c) It is a huge hit
(d) It is a flop
10. What is Anne's word for fraud?
11. Whose strong presence does Anne feel one night when she is scared?
(a) Her grandmother
(b) Her father
12. What is the subject of the book being read by the man next to Anne on the plane home?
(a) The end of the world
(b) Financial planning
(c) Whole foods diets
(d) Marriage counseling
13. What do Anne and Sam see coming in from the mountains in Idaho?
(b) Snow squalls
(c) Storm clouds
14. How does Anne describe her God during this period?
15. How does Anne envision her time on stage with Paley?
(a) As an uncomfortable encounter
(b) As a town hall meeting
(c) As a scripted presentation
(d) As an informal performance
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne see at the parties her parents host?
2. Who is Anne's best friend while growing up?
3. Why does Anne say she always prayed at night?
4. What happens on the second night of the lecture series?
5. Anne is drawn to Shelly's mother, Lee, because she ______________________________.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)