|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color of plastic fetches the best prices, according to Raphael?
2. How much older than Raphael is Gardo?
3. How old is Olivia?
4. How old are Raphael and Gardo within the narrative?
5. What place do the foreigners visit when they come to the dumpsite in which the rubbish boys work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Raphael is taken from his home and is forced into the police car.
2. Which of the three boys is chosen to open the train station locker with the key from inside the found leather bag and why?
3. What does Father Juilliard say about his imminent departure from his position running the Pascal Aguila Mission School?
4. At what point does Raphael realize that the contents of the bag must be hugely important to the police?
5. When Raphael is finally released from the police station, why does he laugh as he walks home?
6. What reasons does Gardo give for wanting to be patient and putting off their visit to the train station to check out what is inside the locker?
7. What are three cases that Pascal Aguila took on and won during his career?
8. What had Father Juilliard's original intentions been with regard to the Pascal Aguila Mission School and how had those intentions changed later?
9. List three physical changes that occur within Raphael's body as a result of his terror at being hauled away from his house by the police.
10. Why do Raphael and Gardo continue working nonchalantly after they find the leather bag full of money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the novel's title and of the repeated references to it throughout the novel. What is the author's purpose in including the motif of trash, both in the title and throughout the narrative of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is littered with the use of sensory details throughout the narrative. Discuss the author's purpose in including the sights, sounds, smells, tastes and tactile sensations of those living within the dumpsite community of Behala. Include plenty of concrete details from the novel to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the boys' decision to put part of the six million dollars into backpacks in order to throw them randomly into the dump for others to find. Why do they make that decision and how do you know? Is their action just? Does it rectify the wrongs visited upon the people by Senator Zapanta? Back up your points with quotes from the novel.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)