|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the police ask Raphael about the bag he has found and he denies finding a bag, what does he say he has found instead?
2. What place do the foreigners visit when they come to the dumpsite in which the rubbish boys work?
3. Why does the street sweeper look at Raphael strangely when Raphael asks the street sweeper for a cigarette?
4. What location does Raphael decide the boys must visit in order to deliver the letter they have found in the train station locker?
5. How many days of school do children at the Mission School have to attend in order to earn their two kilograms of rice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Raphael say is the reason for Jose Angelico's arrest?
2. When Raphael says that he and Gardo might as well be brothers, what evidence does he give to support this conclusion?
3. Though the police beat Raphael severely, leaving him bruised and battered, what actions do they threaten him with that never actually come to pass?
4. What are all of the items of value that Raphael and Gardo find inside the "special" (18) containing the mysterious and money-laden leather bag?
5. List three physical changes that occur within Raphael's body as a result of his terror at being hauled away from his house by the police.
6. Why do the boys jump off of the train before it pulls into the station?
7. What does Father Juilliard say about his imminent departure from his position running the Pascal Aguila Mission School?
8. What is different about the day the police come to orchestrate the search for the leather bag, versus a normal day within the dumpsite?
9. When Raphael is finally released from the police station, why does he laugh as he walks home?
10. What is a "special" (18) and how does the idea of a "special" widen the scope of the reader's understanding of Trash's setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the author's message regarding perseverance in the novel Trash. State a clear and specific claim regarding this topic and support your claim using concrete details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The novel is littered with the use of sensory details throughout the narrative. Discuss the author's purpose in including the sights, sounds, smells, tastes and tactile sensations of those living within the dumpsite community of Behala. Include plenty of concrete details from the novel to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Determine the author's message regarding the power of choice within the novel Trash. Support your claim with quotes from the narrative. Be sure to use a variety of characters and situations to back up your arguments.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)