|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there no stupp in the trash from the McKinley neighborhood?
(a) Because they trade their stupp for better stupp.
(b) Because they recycle all of their stupp there.
(c) Because there are toilets there.
(d) Because there are special stupp-cleaners there.
2. What does Raphael say is the meaning of the word "stuppa" (3)?
(a) Human muck.
(b) Animal muck.
(d) Radioactive Waste.
3. How much money does Raphael say he can get from one half-good tire that he finds at the dumpsite?
(a) One tenth of a dollar.
(b) Half of a dollar.
(c) One dollar.
(d) A quarter of a dollar.
4. What drink does Father Juilliard serve to the boys when they come to use the school's computer?
(b) Iced tea.
(d) Apple juice.
5. How many van-loads of police arrive at Raphael's house when they come to arrest him?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older than Raphael is Gardo?
2. Why does the street sweeper look at Raphael strangely when Raphael asks the street sweeper for a cigarette?
3. After Raphael decides not to tell the police about the leather bag quite yet, who tells the police about his find instead?
4. What is the name of the dumpsite in which Raphael and the other dumpsite boys scavenge?
5. What does Raphael's aunt tell him to do with the wallet he has found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Grace give for Pia Dante not having lived with her father, Jose Angelico, while he was still alive?
2. What is the main point of Grace's piece of narration from the story?
3. Though the police beat Raphael severely, leaving him bruised and battered, what actions do they threaten him with that never actually come to pass?
4. What does Father Juilliard say about his imminent departure from his position running the Pascal Aguila Mission School?
5. What had Father Juilliard's original intentions been with regard to the Pascal Aguila Mission School and how had those intentions changed later?
6. What is different about the day the police come to orchestrate the search for the leather bag, versus a normal day within the dumpsite?
7. Describe the scene in which Raphael is taken from his home and is forced into the police car.
8. What reasons does Gardo give for wanting to be patient and putting off their visit to the train station to check out what is inside the locker?
9. Why do the boys jump off of the train before it pulls into the station?
10. When Raphael is finally released from the police station, why does he laugh as he walks home?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)