• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Mulligan, Andy. Trash. Ember Books, 2010. Print.
• The novel begins with Raphael Fernandez as the narrator, as he introduces himself as a dumpsite boy, a 14-year-old boy who sifts through trash in an unnamed Third World country and lives among the mountains of waste.
• Sometimes "foreigners" (3) come to Behala and when they do come, they visit the Mission School.
• Raphael says that sometimes people assume that he finds great treasures at least once in a while, but he relates that most of the time, all he finds is "stuppa" (3), which he defines as human muck.
• There are no toilets within most of the city, so most people defecate onto paper and throw the paper away.
• He says he had previously lived at a dumpsite called Smoky Mountain, but after it became overfilled and collapsed...
This section contains 4,972 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)