|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who translates for Captain Lancey when he comes to the school?
2. What did Manus' father attend that afternoon in Act 1?
3. What kind of hair is Maire described as having?
4. Who is teaching Sarah to speak at the beginning of Act 1?
5. What is the name of the group who are conducting the land surveys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Sarah's relationship to the theme of language in the play.
2. What does Yolland admire about Hugh regarding the naming process? What is Owen's reaction?
3. Who in literature is Jimmy obsessed with? Who does he associate this person with in real life?
4. How is the "date" arranged between Yolland and Maire in Act 2?
5. What good news does Manus share when he returns in Act 2? What happens immediately following this with Maire?
6. Discuss how the theme of renaming is expressed in the play.
7. What happens in Act 2 that leads up to Yolland realizing Owen's real name?
8. Compare the points of view of Owen and Yolland to their renaming work in Act 2.
9. How do Owen and Yolland go about the name changes in Act 2?
10. Describe the character of Bridget. What is her relationship to Doalty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of tradition in Translations. How are tradition and change represented? How are they viewed by Friel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the time period in which the play was written. How does this relate to the themes of Translations?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of the setting in Translations. How is this time and place inherent in the play's plot and themes?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)