|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the two men from who spoke to Manus in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. Who does Owen say are the best fishermen out there?
3. What does the word "verecund" mean?
4. Which character does Hugh say is not coming back to classes because she can now write her name?
5. What kind of hair is Maire described as having?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we know of Doalty's behavior and recent actions based upon his entrance in Act 1?
2. How much time passes between Act 1 and Act 2? What is taking place at the beginning of Act 2?
3. How does Yolland feel about his alienation in Ireland? How does Owen placate this?
4. What does Maire tell Manus about America in Act 1? What is his reply?
5. Discuss the theme of love as it applies to Sarah and Maire's relationship with Manus.
6. Explain how Owen's not correcting Yolland on his name relates to the mapping progress in Act 2.
7. Discuss Sarah's relationship to the theme of language in the play.
8. How is the "date" arranged between Yolland and Maire in Act 2?
9. What is taking place as Act 1 begins? Where does Act 1 take place?
10. What does Yolland tell Owen about Maire in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the time period in which the play was written. How does this relate to the themes of Translations?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss objective as it applies to the British military presence in Baile Beag in Translations. How is Owen's misjudgment of the British objectives important?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of love as it applies to the characters of Maire and Yolland in the play. What does their scene together represent thematically?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)