|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Irish word "Druim" means what in English?
2. What is Maire's last name?
3. What is Jimmy's full name?
4. What does Yolland say that his father believes is just about to happen in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Who translates for Captain Lancey when he comes to the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction occurs between Manus and Maire regarding last night in Act 1?
2. Describe the character of Maire. What is her family situation?
3. How do Owen and Yolland go about the name changes in Act 2?
4. What happens in Act 2 that leads up to Yolland realizing Owen's real name?
5. What does Yolland tell Owen about Maire in Act 2?
6. What does Sarah give to Manus in Act 1? What is his reaction?
7. Discuss the theme of love as it applies to Sarah and Maire's relationship with Manus.
8. Discuss Sarah's relationship to the theme of language in the play.
9. What does Maire tell Manus about America in Act 1? What is his reply?
10. Discuss how the theme of renaming is expressed in the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of love as it applies to the characters of Maire and Yolland in the play. What does their scene together represent thematically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the time period in which the play was written. How does this relate to the themes of Translations?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical elements of the play. Are Friel's depictions accurate in terms of Irish history?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)