|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jimmy's nickname?
2. What poet does Yolland say he lived three miles from in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. Where were the two men from who spoke to Manus in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Who was found drowned in the well at Tobair Vree?
5. Of what female does Jimmy speak to Manus from his reading in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time passes between Act 1 and Act 2? What is taking place at the beginning of Act 2?
2. Describe the character of Bridget. What is her relationship to Doalty?
3. What does Sarah give to Manus in Act 1? What is his reaction?
4. Discuss the theme of love as it applies to Sarah and Maire's relationship with Manus.
5. What does Maire tell Manus about America in Act 1? What is his reply?
6. How does Yolland feel about his alienation in Ireland? How does Owen placate this?
7. What happens in Act 2 that leads up to Yolland realizing Owen's real name?
8. Discuss Sarah's relationship to the theme of language in the play.
9. Describe the character of Yolland. What are his feelings of Baile Beag?
10. What interaction occurs between Manus and Maire regarding last night in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot structure of Translations. How does this plot relate to the plots of Greek dramas and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of emigration in Translations. Which character(s) represent this theme? How much of an impact does this have on the play?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Manus and Owen. How are these brothers different? How are they similar?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)