|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what pub does Sarah tell Manus that Hugh is in Act 1?
2. In what Irish County does the play take place?
3. Who is Jimmy reading in Act 1?
4. What is the foreboding sweet smell an indication of in Act 1?
5. Owen tells Yolland that his father always speaks of "an expedito" with how many points in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who in literature is Jimmy obsessed with? Who does he associate this person with in real life?
2. Where is Hugh in the beginning of Act 1? How does the reader find this out? What does this lead Manus to do?
3. How does Yolland feel about his alienation in Ireland? How does Owen placate this?
4. What does Yolland ask Owen about his living in Ireland in Act 2? What is Owen's initial response?
5. Describe the character of Maire. What is her family situation?
6. What does Yolland admire about Hugh regarding the naming process? What is Owen's reaction?
7. What good news does Manus share when he returns in Act 2? What happens immediately following this with Maire?
8. Describe the character of Bridget. What is her relationship to Doalty?
9. Explain how Owen's not correcting Yolland on his name relates to the mapping progress in Act 2.
10. How do Owen and Yolland go about the name changes in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of tradition in Translations. How are tradition and change represented? How are they viewed by Friel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss objective as it applies to the British military presence in Baile Beag in Translations. How is Owen's misjudgment of the British objectives important?
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and relate what the reader learns through exposition regarding the characters in Act 1. How is exposition used in Act 2?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)