|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet does Yolland say he lived three miles from in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. The Irish word "Druim" means what in English?
3. What is the Irish word for "beach"?
4. Yolland tells Manus that the soldiers got a crate of what from Dublin in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Where are the living-quarters of the headmaster and his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "date" arranged between Yolland and Maire in Act 2?
2. How do Owen and Yolland go about the name changes in Act 2?
3. What is taking place as Act 1 begins? Where does Act 1 take place?
4. Describe the character of Bridget. What is her relationship to Doalty?
5. How much time passes between Act 1 and Act 2? What is taking place at the beginning of Act 2?
6. What happens in Act 2 that leads up to Yolland realizing Owen's real name?
7. Describe Owen upon his first entrance in Act 1. What is everyone's reaction to seeing him?
8. Where is Hugh in the beginning of Act 1? How does the reader find this out? What does this lead Manus to do?
9. Describe the military tension which is revealed in the play in Act 1.
10. What is Manus' reaction upon Maire's entrance? How does he greet her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Friel's use of symbolism and motif in the play. What themes are depicted through these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Hugh and Lancey in the play. What symbolically do these characters each represent?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Manus and Owen. How are these brothers different? How are they similar?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)