|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Hugh speak in as he descends the stairs in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. In what Irish County does the play take place?
3. What does Doalty say that Jimmy knows the first book of by heart in Act 1?
4. Who is the Justice of the Peace?
5. What is Jimmy's full name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Hugh in the beginning of Act 1? How does the reader find this out? What does this lead Manus to do?
2. Describe the character of Yolland. What are his feelings of Baile Beag?
3. Describe Sarah's character. What is her relationship to Manus?
4. How does Yolland feel about his alienation in Ireland? How does Owen placate this?
5. Describe the character of Maire. What is her family situation?
6. What does Maire tell Manus about America in Act 1? What is his reply?
7. Describe Owen upon his first entrance in Act 1. What is everyone's reaction to seeing him?
8. Who are Jimmy and Hugh? What are their characteristics?
9. What interaction occurs between Manus and Maire regarding last night in Act 1?
10. Discuss Sarah's relationship to the theme of language in the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jimmy and Friel's use of literary allusion in Translations. What is the importance of the texts which Jimmy quotes from?
Essay Topic 2
Define exposition and relate what the reader learns through exposition regarding the characters in Act 1. How is exposition used in Act 2?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of Translations. How does this plot relate to the plots of Greek dramas and why?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)