|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sexton writes that the apple has no worm in it for the apple is ___________.
2. What happens to the princes who are unsuccessful in finding out what happens to the daughters each night?
3. What size is the diamond that the soldier brings back to offer as proof to the king?
4. Who spies on the girl and decides he must have her for a wife as he sees her struggle to eat?
5. After the wolf eats up Red Riding Hood, he is now ___________ as well as dark and hairy.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the mother and remaining sisters decide to slaughter the goat?
2. What is the problem with the tree which the knight sees and then wants to have one of its branches?
3. What is the mystery of the twelve princesses who are locked in their room each night?
4. What is the passageway to the world where the princesses dance all night?
5. What happens after the woodsman takes care of the wolf who tried to eat Red Riding Hood and her grandmother?
6. How does Sexton herself see frogs as she eloquently describes in the poem?
7. Why does the maiden have to stay at home during the war in which her husband fights?
8. What happens to the king after several long years of searching for his family?
9. What are the two pieces of advice or help which the old woman gives to the soldier who goes to find out the secret of the princesses?
10. Where do the princesses sleep when they are locked in their room each night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The man tries to get what his wife needs in order to make sure that her pregnancy is healthy and strong, but is caught and is told he must be punished.
Part 1: Do you think it's right to punish someone for doing the right thing?
Part 2: How might you have reacted if you were to have caught the man in the garden?
Part 3: Why do you think the man decided to go into the garden, even though he knew he should not? Was this a good reason?
Essay Topic 2
Each night, the daughters dance until their shoes are in tatters, though the father locks them in their room.
Part 1: Why do you think the daughters decide to go out dancing every night?
Part 2: Do you think the daughters are being disobedient in going out dancing each night?
Part 3: How do you think you might react if you were to find out that your children were sneaking off each night?
Essay Topic 3
The musician plays music in order to bring people closer to him, but then he hurts the animals when they come to be with him.
Part 1: Why do you think the musician wants to have friends when in the woods?
Part 2: Do you think the musician is an evil person? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the musician should be treated after all of the pain he seems to have caused the animals?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)