|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the servant drop into the sea, saying that he would die if he could not find it for her again?
2. Who decides to let the man out of his imprisonment since he does not seem to be crazy?
3. What pumped in the stepmother like poison when the mirror would tell her that she was the fairest in the land?
4. The boy finds a key and looks for the lock to open, just as he would look for a __________ upon finding a nickel.
5. The ____________ is a lovely number, no matter what life you lead, according to the poem by Sexton.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the peasant say that he can do because the cowhide is magical?
2. What is the secret meal the king has been eating that the servant decides to taste in order to find out what it is?
3. Why does the man have to seek refuge at the house of a miller, according to the poem, "The Little Peasant?"
4. What does the peasant reveal to the miller after the miller has bought the cowhide from him?
5. What protects the witch's garden from possible intruders who might want to steal items away?
6. What does the dove do to the stepsisters who try to get in the good graces of Cinderella once she is married to the prince?
7. How does Snow White come back to life again when the prince finds her with the Seven Dwarfs?
8. How does Cinderella finally become able to go to the ball though her stepmother tries to make it impossible?
9. Why does the man decide that he needs to break into the garden of the witch?
10. What does the witch do when she realizes that the prince has come up to see Rapunzel and that they have fallen in love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The father cuts off the hands of his daughter in order to stop a wizard from trying to take her because of her hands.
Part 1: Do you think the father made a good decision when it came to the hands of the daughter?
Part 2: Do you think the father is an evil person? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the father could have protected the daughter from the wizard?
Essay Topic 2
In many fairy tale stories, the characters are chosen ones, with large tasks before them or great risks to their lives.
Part 1: What is the importance of being a chosen one?
Part 2: Why do you think so many characters in fairy tales are considered to be the chosen ones?
Part 3: How do you think you might act in your life if you knew you were the chosen one?
Essay Topic 3
The princess and the frog is a story which has been told many times, showing that beauty is only skin deep.
Part 1: Why do you think so many people rush to judge a person by the way they look?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has a right to dismiss someone because of their looks?
Part 3: How do you think you would respond if you were to see a frog come up to you and begin to talk?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)