|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What performer's concert has Tommy bought tickets to in Scotland Takes Drugs in Psychic Defense?
2. What substance do Renton and Spud do to prepare for their interviews?
3. Where is the group in Grieving and Mourning in Port Sunshine when they learn that Granty is dead?
4. Who in the group decides he wants to harass Begbie in this Chapter?
5. Whose house is Davie in in Traditional English Breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Renton prepare to come off of junk in The First Day of the Edinburgh Festival?
2. What does Renton discover the morning after having sex with Dianne?
3. How is Spud's life since coming off heroin?
4. How does Renton meet Dianne?
5. In what state is Renton at the beginning of the chapter?
6. What happens to the communal pot in Grieving and Mourning in Port Sunshine?
7. What do all of the Junk Dilemmas have in common?
8. What strange occurrence happens at the wake in Growing Up in Public?
9. How does Begbie respond to the groups when they don't want to rob a tourist?
10. How do Begbie and Renton pass the time on the train in Inner Shitty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two primary settings of the novel are Leith and London. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these two locales. How is London dynamic and Leith distinctly static? Discuss the relative likelihood for heroin use in each of the settings. Which is more conducive to sobriety and why? Which major events occur in each, and how do these events come to define the world of this setting?
Essay Topic 2
The lingering fear of the heroin culture of Trainspotting is HIV/AIDS. Write an essay discussing the way AIDS affects the lives of three characters in the novel. How does each character contract the syndrome? Does he maintain his health? Is he alive at the end of the novel? Discuss the methods this character uses to cope with AIDS.
Part 1) Davie
Part 2) Tommy
Part 3) Matty
Essay Topic 3
Trainspotting takes place in a specific time and place: Edinburgh in the mid- to late-eighties. This is a period marked by civil strife between right and left in the era of IRA and Thatcher. Write an essay about three ways in which the political pervades the narrative:
Part 1) Discuss the rivalry between the Hibs and the Hearts. How do these two football clubs represent two ideologies in this era? Which club do the mates of Trainspotting support, and what does this say about their understanding of the United Kingdom?
Part 2) What happens to Spud and his Uncle Dode when they cross paths with skinheads in the novel? Discuss what challenges Dode has faced in Leith and why. How are these challenges typified in this interaction with the skinheads?
Part 3) Discuss Renton's reaction to his brother Billy's death. How does he connect the death to racism and privilege in a stratified United Kingdom? What does Renton feel about Thatcher, Union, and his Glasgow relatives?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)