|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion is Haseena?
2. What does Chand do to the young girl at the end of this section?
3. What does Lala offer the men to leave?
4. What does Chand tell the Subinspector his principle should be?
5. Where does Meet Singh arrange for Iqbal to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene between Jugga and Malli at the end of Chapter 2, section 3.
2. Explain how the Sikh officer determined the number of refugees killed on the ghost train.
3. Describe how the villagers learn of what was in the train.
4. Explain why the Subinspector evacuated Chundunnegger.
5. Explain the situation between Muslims and Hindus and Sikhs, as discussed by Chand and the Subinspector in Chapter 1, section 2.
6. Why do some of the villagers agree to attack the train?
7. What is the plan for the police, in terms of what to do with Malli and his gang, and who to ask villagers about in Chapter 2, section 3?
8. Describe the young woman who comes to entertain Chand in Chapter 1, section 2.
9. Describe how the bodies from the ghost train in Chapter 4 are handled.
10. Describe the scene at the end of Chapter 1, section 2, between Chand and the young woman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is vast governmental corruption mentioned throughout the novel. Give at least three examples of this corruption and discuss them at length. What causes this corruption? What are possible consequences? Who is involved? What are possible solutions? Does this corruption lend to the air of violence and hate in the country during the time of the novel? Why? Would this corruption exist if there was not already a war occurring? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hukum Chand's comments about the indifference of a bullet with Iqbal Singh's discussion of the neutrality of the bullet. What are both men trying to say? How do those comments reflect their feelings about conflict and sacrifice? Be sure to be detailed in your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used several times in the book. Discuss the Sutlej, the ghost train, and the monsoon, and how those objects are used as symbols in the novel. Be sure to be expansive in your explanation and include support from the book for your conclusions.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)