|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young man at the meeting suggest might be in the train that is stopped at the station?
2. What event ends Chand's actions with the young woman?
3. What does Lala offer the men to leave?
4. Who is the only Hindu in Mano Majra?
5. Where does Iqbal tell both Meet Singh and the passengers on the train he is from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the summer monsoon.
2. Describe the events at the rest house, by season, as experienced by the officers.
3. Explain Iqbal's argument to Jugga about his status as a budmash, and Jugga's response.
4. Explain why the police let Malli and his gang go free, why they claimed Iqbal was a Muslim, and why they sought to convey an idea that Sultana may have been to blame for the murder?
5. Describe the young woman who comes to entertain Chand in Chapter 1, section 2.
6. Describe Iqbal, the stranger who comes to Mana Majra.
7. Explain why Iqbal is angry that the police are arresting him in Chapter 1, section 4, and what he believes they are arresting him for.
8. Explain why the villagers allow the Muslims to be evacuated.
9. Explain Iqbal's belief pertaining to morality in terms of financial status.
10. What does Chand tell the Subinspector to do in terms of Malli and his gang, in Chapter 2, section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Hukum Chand, based on his actions and comments throughout the entire novel. How does Chand appear at the beginning of the novel as he speaks with the Subinspector about the Muslim issue and the current violence in the country? How does his treatment of the young woman prostitute affect his overall moral appearance? How about his release of Jugga and Iqbal in an effort to stop the oncoming violence? Does his clear fear of consequences lend to a belief that Chand is a good man, or that he is a guilty man? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Iqbal claims that Jugga is budmash, or a troublemaker, because the government has made him that way. He claims the government makes rules to make those that are disliked labeled criminal. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Is any action inherently bad? Why? What makes something legal or illegal? Does this make the person committing the crime bad? Why or why not? Jugga claims he is a criminal because it is his destiny to be a criminal. Do you agree or disagree? Why? Do you think Jugga's concept that he is a criminal because he chooses bad behaviors is accurate? Do you think it is possible that once someone is labeled a criminal, it is difficult to become anything else? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Magistrate Hukum Chand and Iqbal Singh. What are their views on life? How do they see themselves? What are their backgrounds like? What image do they portray to the public, and is this image their reality? Why or why not? Does either character live up to his own standards? Why or why not? What does each character do in the novel to help the situation between the Muslims and the Hindus? Does either succeed? Why?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)