|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was created in the summer of 1947?
2. What does the Subinspector tell Chand the villagers know nothing of?
3. What does the young girl think the shot is?
4. What does the mullah of the mosque believe in terms of freedom?
5. Who guards the trucks at the station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the town of Mano Majra at the beginning of the book.
2. Explain why the police let Malli and his gang go free, why they claimed Iqbal was a Muslim, and why they sought to convey an idea that Sultana may have been to blame for the murder?
3. Describe Nooran, as the dacoits describe her.
4. Describe how the villagers learn of what was in the train.
5. Explain Iqbal's belief on the population of India, and on the money spent on agriculture and industry.
6. Describe the opinions of the lambardar and Imam Baksh, the mullah, in terms of freedom.
7. Describe the summer monsoon.
8. Explain the relationship between the Muslims and Sikhs at the beginning of the novel in Mano Majra.
9. Describe the scene at the end of Chapter 1, section 2, between Chand and the young woman.
10. Explain what Jugga's mother gives as proof of his innocence, and his response.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iqbal Singh makes several derogatory statements throughout the novel, in terms of the Indian people and their views and values. Choose two topics below and discuss Iqbal's view of that topic, in reference to the people of India:
3. Art and Music
4. Slavery / Freedom
Essay Topic 2
In the book, everyone fails to do what is right, except for Jugga Singh, the budmash. Explain in detail the responses by Jugga, Iqbal, Meet Singh and Hukum Chand to the knowledge that a train of Muslims will be slaughtered. Compare their responses with their supposed positions in life. What does this indicate, in terms of which character is truly a man of values?
Essay Topic 3
One of the primary themes in the novel is the concept of the communal action, both in terms of peace and in terms of communal violence. Explain the concept of communal action. In the beginning, what is Mano Majra, in terms of its sense of community? How is that changed? What is the sense of community by the end of the novel? Since no violence occurred inside the village as a result of the Hindu/Muslim conflict, what drove a wedge between the two sects? In the end, does anyone benefit from the communal violence? Why or why not?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)