|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jugga blame for his misbehavior?
2. What do local police consider Jugga?
3. What does Chand fear the rain will do?
4. What sounds interrupt the couple's love making?
5. Who watches Iqbal's things while he is away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the villagers learn of what was in the train.
2. What does Chand tell the Subinspector to do in terms of Malli and his gang, in Chapter 2, section 3?
3. Explain why Chand now believes Iqbal is a Sikh.
4. Describe Imam Baksh's belief of how a religious man is seen. and why.
5. Explain what Jugga's mother gives as proof of his innocence, and his response.
6. Explain Chand's view of how people should spend their conscious time and effort.
7. Explain why the villagers allow the Muslims to be evacuated.
8. Discuss what Chand and the Subinspector note about the corruption of government officials in Chapter 1, section 2.
9. Explain why Chand tells the Subinspector that getting involved where there are bullets does not make sense.
10. Describe Chand's nightmare the night after the day with the ghost train.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is vast governmental corruption mentioned throughout the novel. Give at least three examples of this corruption and discuss them at length. What causes this corruption? What are possible consequences? Who is involved? What are possible solutions? Does this corruption lend to the air of violence and hate in the country during the time of the novel? Why? Would this corruption exist if there was not already a war occurring? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Hukum Chand, based on his actions and comments throughout the entire novel. How does Chand appear at the beginning of the novel as he speaks with the Subinspector about the Muslim issue and the current violence in the country? How does his treatment of the young woman prostitute affect his overall moral appearance? How about his release of Jugga and Iqbal in an effort to stop the oncoming violence? Does his clear fear of consequences lend to a belief that Chand is a good man, or that he is a guilty man? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Iqbal claims that Jugga is budmash, or a troublemaker, because the government has made him that way. He claims the government makes rules to make those that are disliked labeled criminal. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Is any action inherently bad? Why? What makes something legal or illegal? Does this make the person committing the crime bad? Why or why not? Jugga claims he is a criminal because it is his destiny to be a criminal. Do you agree or disagree? Why? Do you think Jugga's concept that he is a criminal because he chooses bad behaviors is accurate? Do you think it is possible that once someone is labeled a criminal, it is difficult to become anything else? Why or why not?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)