|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do local police consider Jugga?
2. Where does Iqbal tell both Meet Singh and the passengers on the train he is from?
3. What type of Muslim does Haseena note is still in Chundunnegger, although they could also be called Sikhs?
4. What does the Subinspector tell Chand the villagers know nothing of?
5. What does Jugga not hear the catcalling of the men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the morning routine of Mano Majra, in terms of the Muslim mosque and the Sikh temple.
2. Explain why Chand tells the Subinspector that getting involved where there are bullets does not make sense.
3. Explain the relationship between the Muslims and Sikhs at the beginning of the novel in Mano Majra.
4. Describe the scene at the end of Chapter 1, section 2, between Chand and the young woman.
5. Describe how the bodies from the ghost train in Chapter 4 are handled.
6. Explain Iqbal's argument to Jugga about his status as a budmash, and Jugga's response.
7. What is the plan for the police, in terms of what to do with Malli and his gang, and who to ask villagers about in Chapter 2, section 3?
8. Describe Nooran, as the dacoits describe her.
9. Explain Chand's obsession with death, and how he tried to overcome it.
10. Discuss what Chand and the Subinspector note about the corruption of government officials in Chapter 1, section 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the novel, how do the trains of Mana Majra play a part in the lives of the villagers? What activities coincide with the trains? What do the trains, at first, represent? As the novel goes on, how does the role of the train change? What does the train symbolize by the middle of the novel, as it is used to bring in corpses? What does it symbolize at the end of the novel? Is the symbolism different between Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Iqbal, based on his actions and thoughts throughout the novel. How does Iqbal present himself to other characters throughout the novel in terms of his speeches and his rants against the power of government? How do his thoughts and actions as he is arrested relate to this view he attempts to present? How about his actions once he is released from prison? What are his true views of sacrifice and bravery, as is seem by his actions and thoughts at the end of the novel? How does he choose to react to the news of the coming violence? Do his statements at the end of the novel, as he drinks, show him to be a moral and virtuous man as he claims, or do his actions show him to be a selfish, cowardly man? Why? Be sure to include examples from the book to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Magistrate Hukum Chand and Iqbal Singh. What are their views on life? How do they see themselves? What are their backgrounds like? What image do they portray to the public, and is this image their reality? Why or why not? Does either character live up to his own standards? Why or why not? What does each character do in the novel to help the situation between the Muslims and the Hindus? Does either succeed? Why?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)