|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the police uneasy about their prisoners?
(a) They believe both are guilty.
(b) They believe both have political ties.
(c) They believe both are innocent.
(d) They believe both are violent.
2. What do those placing matrimonial ads ask for?
(a) To correspond with the father of the prospective bride.
(c) To correspond with horoscopes.
3. What do the police do with rioters?
(a) Disperse them.
(b) Kill them.
(c) Evacuate them.
(d) Arrest them.
4. What does Chand believe is the only absolute truth?
5. How did the Sikhs respond to the killing of their people by the Muslims?
(a) They killed the children of a Muslim leader.
(b) They raped the women of a village.
(c) They attacked a Muslim refugee train.
(d) They burned down the Muslim mosque.
6. What does Chand tell the Subinspector to do with Malli's gang?
(a) Shoot them.
(b) Let them go.
(c) Arrest them.
(d) Publicly hang them.
7. What does Chand note the Subinspector and the village have not had, in terms of why they remain at peace?
(a) A loss of supplies.
(b) Trains of diseased people.
(c) Trains of refugees.
(d) Convoys of dead people.
8. What is the Sutlej?
(a) The capital of Pakistan.
(b) The smallest river in the Punjab.
(c) The largest river in the Punjab.
(d) The capital of India.
9. What does Lala offer the men to leave?
10. What sounds interrupt the couple's love making?
(d) Gun shots.
11. Why has Mano Majra become important in bureaucratic circles?
(a) The railroad.
(b) The church in the middle of the city.
(c) The officer's rest house nearby.
(d) The military presence in town.
12. What does the young girl who comes to the rest house with the old woman do?
(a) She cooks.
(b) She cleans.
(c) She sings and dances.
(d) She is a barber.
13. Who guards the trucks at the station?
(a) Muslim soldiers.
(b) Hindu soldiers.
(c) Sikh soldiers.
14. Who is the headman of the village?
(a) Meet Singh.
(b) Banta Singh.
(c) Jugga Singh.
(d) Iqbal Singh.
15. What type of Muslim does Haseena note is still in Chundunnegger, although they could also be called Sikhs?
(d) Pregnant women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chand associate his guilt over the girl to?
2. What does Iqbal claim to be, in terms of his profession?
3. What does the Subinspector note keeps Jugga of of trouble?
4. Where do the men find Lala hiding?
5. Where does the stranger go when he enters town?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)