Chapter 1, Dacoity, Section 1
• The atmosphere of India is explained, and the town of Mano Majra is described.
• The train station of Mano Majra is revealed to be the place the entire town revolves around
• A group of dacoits discusses a local man, Jugga, and they rob and kill the local moneylender, a Hindu.
• The dacoits throw bangles into the yard of Jugga as they escape town, while Jugga spends time with his girlfriend.
Chapter 1, Dacoity, Section 2
• The local magistrate, Hukum Chand, comes to the village.
• The Subinspector discusses the current conflict between the Muslims, Sikhs, and Hindus, with Chand.
• The two agree there is much governmental corruption, but that local Muslims should be evacuated quietly to avoid conflict.
• The Subinspector hires a young woman to dance and have relations with Chand, as is custom.
• Chand attempts to make love to the woman, but is stopped by the sounds...
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)