|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What final disaster occurred in Chapter 12?
2. Who did Robyn find herself acting like with the camels, by the end of Chapter 6?
3. What surprise did Rick have for Robyn in Chapter 7?
4. What did Robyn find on the third day in the bush that was not on her map?
5. What did the Aboriginals call Ayers Rock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the death of her dog have such a profound effect upon Robyn?
2. What habit did Robyn develop from the first night on the trail in order to check on her camels?
3. Robyn came to a road that was not on her map in Chapter 6. How did she react?
4. How did racism play a role in Wiluna when Robyn and Rick were invited to a dance?
5. Why didn't Robyn ride her camels more often during the trip?
6. How do Aboriginal people categorize distance?
7. In Chapter 10, Robyn described herself as being "utterly deprogrammed". Describe what this meant.
8. According to Robyn, how did the Australian government promote assimilation in the bush?
9. Why did Robyn want to keep a fair distance covered, resting only one day a week?
10. How did the press find out about Robyn's journey across the outback?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Robyn's motivations for wanting to travel across the desert with camels. Explain why it had become not merely a trip or adventure, but something far more to her.
Essay Topic 2
Many famous historical figures, such as Jesus, Gandhi, or Buddha, underwent extreme testing during their lives, often going out to the desert to be alone. What were Robyn's motives for taking on this journey?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Chapter 9, Robyn discovered some things about herself. Explore this theme of self-discovery within Robyn. Use her descriptions from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)