|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the desert like, as observed by Robyn, contrary to popular beliefs?
2. What did the Aboriginals call Ayers Rock?
3. What happened to Diggity in Chapter 10?
4. Where did Eddie accompany Robin to?
5. What did the camels finally get a hold of by the end of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were sandals the best type of footwear for Robyn to wear in the desert?
2. What habit did Robyn develop from the first night on the trail in order to check on her camels?
3. Why wasn't Robyn looking forward to arriving at Ayers Rock?
4. In Robyn's letter to her friend, Steve, what did she intimate to him about her feelings toward this adventure?
5. How was Pipalyatjara unlike many other settlements?
6. According to Robyn, how did the Australian government promote assimilation in the bush?
7. When Robyn came across the first person in Pipalyatjara who spoke English, why did she ignore her first instincts to show her joy?
8. How did racism play a role in Wiluna when Robyn and Rick were invited to a dance?
9. What began to unravel the inner string that held down the panic in Robyn, in Chapter 8?
10. When Eddie and Robyn were getting ready for their trip to Warburton, how did Eddie prepare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many famous historical figures, such as Jesus, Gandhi, or Buddha, underwent extreme testing during their lives, often going out to the desert to be alone. What were Robyn's motives for taking on this journey?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and explain Robyn's views about the media. How did the media affect her personally?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Chapter 4, there was this quote from "Speedboat" by Renata Adler:
"I think when you are truly stuck, when you have stood still in the same spot for too long, you throw a grenade in exactly the spot you were standing in, and jump, and pray. It is the momentum of last resort."
Explain the meaning of this quote as it related to Robyn in Chapter 4.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)