|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did someone give to Robyn just before she headed out to find her lost camels in Chapter 5?
(a) A carton of cigarettes.
(b) A vial of snake bite antidote.
(c) A pamphlet on the symptoms of dying of thirst.
(d) A new camel.
2. What did Ada do to a boyfriend who was emptying a can of petrol into the dust?
(a) Ran away.
(b) Struck him with an axe.
(c) Threw a bottle tequila at him.
(d) Wrapped him in a blanket.
3. When did Zelly decide to give birth?
(a) While Robyn was exhausted.
(b) At the end of her journey.
(c) While Robyn was away on holiday.
(d) In the middle of the night.
4. What did Robyn write home, as a joke, to indicate what types of animals she was training?
(a) Feral dogs.
(b) Giant cockroaches.
(c) WIld camels.
5. Whose needs did Kurt believe must come first?
(a) The camels'.
6. What was the only type of job the Aborigine child was likely to get upon finishing school?
(b) Itinerant station work.
(c) Corporation work.
(d) Owning a business.
7. What was Robyn's goal in Alice?
(a) To work for a summer in the desert.
(b) To write a book about camel taming.
(c) To travel Australia by rail.
(d) To procure and train wild camels.
8. Where did Ada Baxter live?
(a) In Kurt's stable.
(b) At the campgrounds.
(c) The room at the pub.
(d) At the back of Basso's Farm.
9. What did the blue smoke seen by Robyn through the gum leaves indicate?
(a) Aboriginal camps.
(b) A camel herd.
(c) The local bar.
(d) A church.
10. What is a camel's kicking radius?
(a) Eight feet.
(b) Six feet.
(c) Three feet.
(d) Six inches.
11. What did nearly everyone warn Robyn about?
(a) Working with camels.
(b) Staying with local people.
(c) Camping with the Aborigines.
(d) Getting to know any blacks.
12. How did the range affect the people of Alice?
(a) It made them feel very important.
(b) It made them hungry.
(c) It irritated most of them.
(d) It sent them troppo.
13. What was the "dog window" in some Northern Territory bars?
(a) An entrance for customers' dogs.
(b) The area in which women were served.
(c) A back window where liquor was sold to blacks.
(d) The cashier's payment window.
14. What did Robyn coldly contemplate doing one night when she slept over at Gladdy's house in Chapter 4?
(a) Going home.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Killing Kurt.
(d) Harming Gladdy.
15. What did a visiting politico accuse Robyn of being?
(a) A bourgeois individualist.
(b) A conservative party member.
(c) Too liberal.
(d) A communist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unexpected thing did Sallay discover about Zeleika?
2. By the beginning of Chapter 4, what did Robyn believe Kurt had the capacity to do?
3. How long did Robyn's pure, uncomplicated confidence last, telling her that she had done something correct for a change?
4. 'A person preferring safety, comfort, illusion, to the hazards and adventures of revolution.' What is this phrase from Chapter 5 a definition of?
5. What was there in the Alice that sounded just like a camel bell, often fooling Robyn?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)