|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the commodities come from?
2. Who is blamed for Napoleon's death?
3. Where does the man tell Pauline he will meet her?
4. What is the poison that afflicts the reservation?
5. What does Fleur ask for to stop her bleeding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lulu's decision to run to Nanapush and Margaret show her likeness to her mother?
2. Why does Pauline panic when she and Fleur travel to the land of the dead?
3. Describe how Pauline's hands are wounded for the first time.
4. How does Pauline feel about Christ at the start of the chapter?
5. How does Nanapush try to save Pauline just as he saved Fleur and Lulu?
6. Describe how Fleur gets even following the attack on Nanapush and Margaret.
7. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
8. How does the family react to news of the government's fee for their land?
9. Describe the curing ceremony and the excitement that interrupts it.
10. Describe how Nanapush helps Eli hunt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the language of the story. Nanapush speaks like nature while Pauline is more civilized. How do these differences work together? How do they present a complete story of the Native Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Pauline's image of herself as a martyr. Are her feelings justified? If so, by what? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Support your position with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of gambling in the lives of Native American and in the story.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)