|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pauline name her daughter?
2. Who pronounces Pauline white and able to serve in the convent?
3. How does Eli transport the moose meat back to Nanapush's?
4. Why can't Nanapush talk while tied in the barn during the attack by Clarence and Boy Lazzarre?
5. How does Pauline hurt her hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Fleur's baby tries to come early.
2. Why does Pauline panic when she and Fleur travel to the land of the dead?
3. What secret does Eli reveal to Nanapush about Fleur and her nighttime activities?
4. How does the family react to news of the government's fee for their land?
5. Describe the transformation Fleur makes after the baby's death.
6. Describe the reception the Pillagers give Pauline.
7. What family does the adult Lulu want to marry into? What sort of people are they?
8. Name the unusual penances Pauline imposes on herself. Why does she do these things to herself?
9. Describe Pauline's reasons for going to Lake Matchimanito one last time. What is her purpose and who is she waiting for?
10. Describe how Pauline's hands are wounded for the first time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities between Lulu and her mother. What changes those similar qualities? Why is Lulu unable to remain pure Indian? Why do you think Fleur does not return for Lulu or Nanapush?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of gambling in the lives of Native American and in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of home. Margaret says the Kashpaw place is where people survive and stick together. The Pillager home seems to be plagued by turmoil and death. Why are ther different auras around each home? What do the Native Americans believe about the home and the land on which the home is built?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)