|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pauline fight on shore?
2. What kindness does Fleur perform for Pauline?
3. What does Bernadette do to help Pauline's baby be born?
4. How old is Nector when he snares Lazarre and Clarence?
5. Who pronounces Pauline white and able to serve in the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Eli reveal to Nanapush about Fleur and her nighttime activities?
2. Why does Pauline panic when she and Fleur travel to the land of the dead?
3. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
4. Describe how Nanapush and Margaret are captured by Clarence and Lazarre.
5. What family does the adult Lulu want to marry into? What sort of people are they?
6. Describe how Fleur gets even following the attack on Nanapush and Margaret.
7. Name the unusual penances Pauline imposes on herself. Why does she do these things to herself?
8. Describe how Nanapush helps Eli hunt.
9. Describe how Pauline's hands are wounded for the first time.
10. Describe what happens when Fleur and Pauline leave the cabin with the dead baby.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nanapush's character. Does he change from beginning to end? How? What causes any changes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Native American way of marrying. What is required for a man and woman to be considered husband and wife? Are there laws regarding how many wives a man may take? Why does Father Damien object so strongly to Nanapush's relationship with Margaret?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Pauline's image of herself as a martyr. Are her feelings justified? If so, by what? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Support your position with evidence from the text.
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)