|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Fleur go in the middle of the night?
2. What do Fleur and Eli bury the baby in?
3. Who takes Fleur's second baby?
4. What is Pauline's new name?
5. What other news does Father Damien bring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lulu's decision to run to Nanapush and Margaret show her likeness to her mother?
2. Describe Pauline's reasons for going to Lake Matchimanito one last time. What is her purpose and who is she waiting for?
3. Describe how Pauline's hands are wounded for the first time.
4. How does the family react to news of the government's fee for their land?
5. Describe how Fleur gets even following the attack on Nanapush and Margaret.
6. What family does the adult Lulu want to marry into? What sort of people are they?
7. What secret does Eli reveal to Nanapush about Fleur and her nighttime activities?
8. Describe the reception the Pillagers give Pauline.
9. Describe the man who comes to Pauline's room and their resulting conversation.
10. How does Nanapush try to save Pauline just as he saved Fleur and Lulu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of gambling in the lives of Native American and in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Pauline's image of herself as a martyr. Are her feelings justified? If so, by what? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Support your position with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difficulties of introducing a new religion, like Christianity, into a long standing religion centered on cultural traditions.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)