|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What family does Lulu want to marry into?
2. What kindness does Fleur perform for Pauline?
3. What does Sister Anne do that requires her to confess her sin to Father Damien?
4. Who prospers while the Pillagers suffer?
5. Who does Father Damien bring to Nanapush's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the curing ceremony and the excitement that interrupts it.
2. Compare Nanapush talking to keep Lulu alive to his talking to save himself and Fleur in Chapter 1.
3. How does the family react to news of the government's fee for their land?
4. What family does the adult Lulu want to marry into? What sort of people are they?
5. Describe what happens when Fleur's baby tries to come early.
6. Describe the reception the Pillagers give Pauline.
7. Describe Pauline's reasons for going to Lake Matchimanito one last time. What is her purpose and who is she waiting for?
8. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
9. Describe how Nanapush and Margaret are captured by Clarence and Lazarre.
10. What significance is there to Pauline shedding skin every time her bandages are changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nanapush's character. Does he change from beginning to end? How? What causes any changes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Moses Pillager and his way of life. How does Moses' life best resemble the simple ways of pure Native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the transformation that occurs in Fleur over the course of the book. How does Fleur's loss of power mirror the waning power of the Native Americans? Does Fleur lose power during the story?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)