|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pauline get to the middle of the lake?
2. What does Pauline deny being?
3. What does Fleur place in the tree above the box containing her dead baby?
4. What does Pauline think God tells her to do?
5. What is Pauline wearing when her boat comes to shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the man who comes to Pauline's room and their resulting conversation.
2. Describe Pauline's reasons for going to Lake Matchimanito one last time. What is her purpose and who is she waiting for?
3. Describe the transformation Fleur makes after the baby's death.
4. How does Nanapush try to save Pauline just as he saved Fleur and Lulu?
5. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
6. Describe the curing ceremony and the excitement that interrupts it.
7. How does Lulu's decision to run to Nanapush and Margaret show her likeness to her mother?
8. What secret does Eli reveal to Nanapush about Fleur and her nighttime activities?
9. Why is Nanapush embarrassed after the attack by Clarence and Lazarre? What does Margaret do to show that she is not mad at Nanapush?
10. Why does Pauline panic when she and Fleur travel to the land of the dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the transformation that occurs in Fleur over the course of the book. How does Fleur's loss of power mirror the waning power of the Native Americans? Does Fleur lose power during the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why you think the story is told from Nanapush and Pauline's points of view. Why is Fleur never given a voice? Why does the reader never hear from Lulu?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nanapush's ties to the land.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)