|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pauline feel no guilt over Napoleon's death?
2. How does Lazarre die?
3. What do the boys do to Margaret?
4. What job did Nanapush once perform for the government?
5. What does the white doctor want to do with Lulu's feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
2. Describe what happens when Fleur's baby tries to come early.
3. Describe how Pauline's hands are wounded for the first time.
4. Describe how Fleur gets even following the attack on Nanapush and Margaret.
5. How does Pauline feel about Christ at the start of the chapter?
6. Describe the reception the Pillagers give Pauline.
7. What family does the adult Lulu want to marry into? What sort of people are they?
8. Why do you think Pauline is happy about the Indians losing their lands?
9. Describe Pauline's reasons for going to Lake Matchimanito one last time. What is her purpose and who is she waiting for?
10. What significance is there to Pauline shedding skin every time her bandages are changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference in generation. Nector is compared to Eli, Lulu to Fleur. What changes from older to younger? What do those changes mean for the Native Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of gambling in the lives of Native American and in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the turn of events that allows Pauline to enter the convent and causes Fleur to lose her family land. Is this a case of white ways vs. Indian ways? What does the situation say about the treatment of Indians by whites?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)