|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eli go after fleeing Fleur's cabin?
2. What does Nanapush tease Pauline about?
3. What is Pauline wearing when her boat comes to shore?
4. Who does Eli say is the father of Fleur's second child?
5. What does Pauline name her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pauline's reasons for going to Lake Matchimanito one last time. What is her purpose and who is she waiting for?
2. Describe what happens when Fleur's baby tries to come early.
3. What secret does Eli reveal to Nanapush about Fleur and her nighttime activities?
4. Why is Nanapush embarrassed after the attack by Clarence and Lazarre? What does Margaret do to show that she is not mad at Nanapush?
5. What family does the adult Lulu want to marry into? What sort of people are they?
6. Describe how Nanapush helps Eli hunt.
7. How does Pauline feel about Christ at the start of the chapter?
8. Describe how Fleur gets even following the attack on Nanapush and Margaret.
9. What significance is there to Pauline shedding skin every time her bandages are changed?
10. Name the unusual penances Pauline imposes on herself. Why does she do these things to herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nanapush's ties to the land.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the turn of events that allows Pauline to enter the convent and causes Fleur to lose her family land. Is this a case of white ways vs. Indian ways? What does the situation say about the treatment of Indians by whites?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the similarities between Lulu and her mother. What changes those similar qualities? Why is Lulu unable to remain pure Indian? Why do you think Fleur does not return for Lulu or Nanapush?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)