|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Nanapush talk while tied in the barn during the attack by Clarence and Boy Lazzarre?
2. What other news does Father Damien bring?
3. How does Pauline hurt her hands?
4. How does Pauline get to the middle of the lake?
5. What does Pauline use to kill Napoleon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reception the Pillagers give Pauline.
2. Why does Pauline panic when she and Fleur travel to the land of the dead?
3. How does the family react to news of the government's fee for their land?
4. Describe the curing ceremony and the excitement that interrupts it.
5. Compare Nanapush talking to keep Lulu alive to his talking to save himself and Fleur in Chapter 1.
6. What significance is there to Pauline shedding skin every time her bandages are changed?
7. Describe how Nanapush helps Eli hunt.
8. Describe Pauline's reasons for going to Lake Matchimanito one last time. What is her purpose and who is she waiting for?
9. How does Lulu's decision to run to Nanapush and Margaret show her likeness to her mother?
10. What family does the adult Lulu want to marry into? What sort of people are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities between Lulu and her mother. What changes those similar qualities? Why is Lulu unable to remain pure Indian? Why do you think Fleur does not return for Lulu or Nanapush?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nanapush's ties to the land.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Native American way of marrying. What is required for a man and woman to be considered husband and wife? Are there laws regarding how many wives a man may take? Why does Father Damien object so strongly to Nanapush's relationship with Margaret?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)