|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raises Marie?
2. What does the white doctor want to do with Lulu's feet?
3. What is Pauline wearing when her boat comes to shore?
4. What happens whenever Pauline's dressings are changed?
5. Fleur plays cards with the three men who attacked her in Argus. What does Lilly pull from a shirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Fleur's baby tries to come early.
2. Describe how Nanapush helps Eli hunt.
3. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
4. Describe how Nanapush and Margaret are captured by Clarence and Lazarre.
5. Name the unusual penances Pauline imposes on herself. Why does she do these things to herself?
6. Describe the man who comes to Pauline's room and their resulting conversation.
7. What secret does Eli reveal to Nanapush about Fleur and her nighttime activities?
8. Why does Pauline panic when she and Fleur travel to the land of the dead?
9. Describe the reception the Pillagers give Pauline.
10. Describe the transformation Fleur makes after the baby's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the transformation that occurs in Fleur over the course of the book. How does Fleur's loss of power mirror the waning power of the Native Americans? Does Fleur lose power during the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Native American way of marrying. What is required for a man and woman to be considered husband and wife? Are there laws regarding how many wives a man may take? Why does Father Damien object so strongly to Nanapush's relationship with Margaret?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Pauline's image of herself as a martyr. Are her feelings justified? If so, by what? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Support your position with evidence from the text.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)