|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eli give to Lulu?
2. How does Lazarre die?
3. What do the boys do to Margaret?
4. What causes the Pillager baldness?
5. What do Nanapush and Nector use for their snares?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pauline feel about Christ at the start of the chapter?
2. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
3. Describe how Fleur gets even following the attack on Nanapush and Margaret.
4. What family does the adult Lulu want to marry into? What sort of people are they?
5. How does the family react to news of the government's fee for their land?
6. Describe what happens when Fleur and Pauline leave the cabin with the dead baby.
7. What significance is there to Pauline shedding skin every time her bandages are changed?
8. How does Nanapush try to save Pauline just as he saved Fleur and Lulu?
9. Describe the man who comes to Pauline's room and their resulting conversation.
10. Name the unusual penances Pauline imposes on herself. Why does she do these things to herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Fleur and Nanapush. Are they family in a traditional sense? What makes them family? Why do they have such a strong bond?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nanapush's ties to the land.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why you think the story is told from Nanapush and Pauline's points of view. Why is Fleur never given a voice? Why does the reader never hear from Lulu?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)