|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Fleur go in the middle of the night?
2. Who is the father of Pauline's child?
3. What do Fleur and Eli know about Pauline?
4. What does Pauline call the people gathered on shore?
5. Who moves into the empty houses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pauline's reasons for going to Lake Matchimanito one last time. What is her purpose and who is she waiting for?
2. Name the unusual penances Pauline imposes on herself. Why does she do these things to herself?
3. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
4. How does the family react to news of the government's fee for their land?
5. Describe how Pauline's hands are wounded for the first time.
6. Describe the man who comes to Pauline's room and their resulting conversation.
7. Why does Pauline panic when she and Fleur travel to the land of the dead?
8. Describe what happens when Fleur and Pauline leave the cabin with the dead baby.
9. What family does the adult Lulu want to marry into? What sort of people are they?
10. How does Nanapush try to save Pauline just as he saved Fleur and Lulu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eli hunting the moose and Nanapush's "help." What sort of help does Nanapush offer Eli? How is this help similar to the help Nanapush gave Eli while trying to court Fleur?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nanapush's character. Does he change from beginning to end? How? What causes any changes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the turn of events that allows Pauline to enter the convent and causes Fleur to lose her family land. Is this a case of white ways vs. Indian ways? What does the situation say about the treatment of Indians by whites?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)