|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Nanapush talk while tied in the barn during the attack by Clarence and Boy Lazzarre?
2. Where does Eli go after fleeing Fleur's cabin?
3. What does Pauline use to kill Napoleon?
4. What does Pauline name her daughter?
5. Where does the man tell Pauline he will meet her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family react to news of the government's fee for their land?
2. Describe how Nanapush and Margaret are captured by Clarence and Lazarre.
3. How does Lulu's decision to run to Nanapush and Margaret show her likeness to her mother?
4. Describe the man who comes to Pauline's room and their resulting conversation.
5. Why is Nanapush embarrassed after the attack by Clarence and Lazarre? What does Margaret do to show that she is not mad at Nanapush?
6. Describe the reception the Pillagers give Pauline.
7. Name the unusual penances Pauline imposes on herself. Why does she do these things to herself?
8. Describe the curing ceremony and the excitement that interrupts it.
9. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
10. Why do you think Pauline is happy about the Indians losing their lands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nanapush's ties to the land.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the language of the story. Nanapush speaks like nature while Pauline is more civilized. How do these differences work together? How do they present a complete story of the Native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning(s) of the book title. What kinds of tracks are there in the book? Are tracks being created or erased or both?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)