|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Nector when he snares Lazarre and Clarence?
2. What does Pauline call the people gathered on shore?
3. What does Fleur do when she learns what happened to Margaret?
4. What is Pauline wearing when her boat comes to shore?
5. What does Bernadette do when her children marry outside her wishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Pauline is happy about the Indians losing their lands?
2. How does the family react to news of the government's fee for their land?
3. How does Lulu's decision to run to Nanapush and Margaret show her likeness to her mother?
4. How does Nanapush try to save Pauline just as he saved Fleur and Lulu?
5. What significance is there to Pauline shedding skin every time her bandages are changed?
6. Compare Nanapush talking to keep Lulu alive to his talking to save himself and Fleur in Chapter 1.
7. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
8. Why is Nanapush embarrassed after the attack by Clarence and Lazarre? What does Margaret do to show that she is not mad at Nanapush?
9. Describe how Nanapush helps Eli hunt.
10. Describe the reception the Pillagers give Pauline.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Fleur's character. Does she change from beginning to end? How? What causes any changes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the turn of events that allows Pauline to enter the convent and causes Fleur to lose her family land. Is this a case of white ways vs. Indian ways? What does the situation say about the treatment of Indians by whites?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning(s) of the book title. What kinds of tracks are there in the book? Are tracks being created or erased or both?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)