|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pronounces Pauline white and able to serve in the convent?
2. Who moves into the empty houses?
3. Who attacks Nanapush and Margaret on their way home from church?
4. What does the man who visits Pauline's room bring with him?
5. What does the white doctor want to do with Lulu's feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Nanapush talking to keep Lulu alive to his talking to save himself and Fleur in Chapter 1.
2. Name the unusual penances Pauline imposes on herself. Why does she do these things to herself?
3. How is Eli successful in getting Fleur to give him affection again?
4. Why is Nanapush embarrassed after the attack by Clarence and Lazarre? What does Margaret do to show that she is not mad at Nanapush?
5. Describe how Nanapush and Margaret are captured by Clarence and Lazarre.
6. What significance is there to Pauline shedding skin every time her bandages are changed?
7. What secret does Eli reveal to Nanapush about Fleur and her nighttime activities?
8. Describe the reception the Pillagers give Pauline.
9. Describe how Fleur gets even following the attack on Nanapush and Margaret.
10. Describe the curing ceremony and the excitement that interrupts it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the transformation that occurs in Fleur over the course of the book. How does Fleur's loss of power mirror the waning power of the Native Americans? Does Fleur lose power during the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difficulties of introducing a new religion, like Christianity, into a long standing religion centered on cultural traditions.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Fleur and Nanapush. Are they family in a traditional sense? What makes them family? Why do they have such a strong bond?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)