|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Fleur and Eli bury the baby in?
2. Who does Eli say is the father of Fleur's second child?
3. How many children does Sophie's husband already have?
4. What does the man who visits Pauline's room bring with him?
5. What does Pauline call the marks left by the forceps on Marie's head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Nanapush and Margaret are captured by Clarence and Lazarre.
2. Compare Nanapush talking to keep Lulu alive to his talking to save himself and Fleur in Chapter 1.
3. Describe how Pauline's hands are wounded for the first time.
4. Why is Nanapush embarrassed after the attack by Clarence and Lazarre? What does Margaret do to show that she is not mad at Nanapush?
5. How does Lulu's decision to run to Nanapush and Margaret show her likeness to her mother?
6. How does Nanapush try to save Pauline just as he saved Fleur and Lulu?
7. Describe the man who comes to Pauline's room and their resulting conversation.
8. Why do you think Pauline is happy about the Indians losing their lands?
9. Describe what happens when Fleur's baby tries to come early.
10. How does the family react to news of the government's fee for their land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Native American way of marrying. What is required for a man and woman to be considered husband and wife? Are there laws regarding how many wives a man may take? Why does Father Damien object so strongly to Nanapush's relationship with Margaret?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning(s) of the book title. What kinds of tracks are there in the book? Are tracks being created or erased or both?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difficulties of introducing a new religion, like Christianity, into a long standing religion centered on cultural traditions.
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)