|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Pauline and Fleur go when they leave the Pillager cabin?
2. Who feeds Pauline fish broth?
3. How does Pauline hurt her hands?
4. What happens whenever Pauline's dressings are changed?
5. What does Nanapush do for Eli to find his way home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nanapush try to save Pauline just as he saved Fleur and Lulu?
2. How does Lulu's decision to run to Nanapush and Margaret show her likeness to her mother?
3. Describe the reception the Pillagers give Pauline.
4. Compare Nanapush talking to keep Lulu alive to his talking to save himself and Fleur in Chapter 1.
5. Name the unusual penances Pauline imposes on herself. Why does she do these things to herself?
6. Why is Nanapush embarrassed after the attack by Clarence and Lazarre? What does Margaret do to show that she is not mad at Nanapush?
7. Describe the transformation Fleur makes after the baby's death.
8. Describe how Pauline's hands are wounded for the first time.
9. Describe what happens when Fleur's baby tries to come early.
10. How does Pauline feel about Christ at the start of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the turn of events that allows Pauline to enter the convent and causes Fleur to lose her family land. Is this a case of white ways vs. Indian ways? What does the situation say about the treatment of Indians by whites?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Pauline's image of herself as a martyr. Are her feelings justified? If so, by what? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Support your position with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Moses Pillager and his way of life. How does Moses' life best resemble the simple ways of pure Native Americans?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)