|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anton say he has just heard?
2. What does the King tearfully recall, regarding a king turning over his throne to his heir?
3. Julian unwraps the bundle of royal robes brought in by Anton and insists Sigismund do what with them?
4. What example of the executions does the Confessor give the King?
5. What does the Spirit Figure of Julian do so Siglismund can see the war from above?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 3, Part 2, the Doctor's cryptic hints about Sigismund's fate is used as a an element of foreshadowing.
Part 1) What is the Doctor's message regarding Sigismund's fate? What does it foreshadow?
Part 2) How does it reveal Sigismund's role in the revolution?
Part 3) How does this message, like many other aspects of Sigismund's life, reflect Christ's life?
Part 4) Could Sigismund's fate have turned out differently? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Aspects of both Sigismund and Christ's lives are violent.
Part 1) How are their lives violent? Why are they violent?
Part 2) How does this violence affect each of them? Are they affected the same way? Why or why not?
Part 3) To what end does this violence lead for both Sigismund and Christ? What message does this send to the audience?
Essay Topic 3
The confrontation between Sigismund and the King in the second part of the third act is the play's first climax.
Part 1) Describe the confrontation. Why does the confrontation take place? How is this confrontation foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this confrontation symbolize? How do you know this?
Part 3) What can a reader or audience member learn from this confrontation? What is the purpose of this confrontation?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)